Ebola outbreak - general thread #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Suspicion of EBOLA in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.

MediaTV on Twitter

Maasstad Hospital Rotterdam: This concerns a patient who is suspected of being infected with Ebola. At the moment, this person is being held in quarantine together with several other persons.

BBM

’Patiënt met Ebola-verschijnselen in Rotterdams ziekenhuis’

'Patient with Ebola symptoms in Rotterdam hospital'.

ROTTERDAM - Update 23.26 - The emergency services were massively dispatched to Maasstad Hospital in Rotterdam for a 'jointly coordinated deployment'.

Sources around the hospital report to De Telegraaf that a patient who has reported to the GP post 'shows symptoms of ebola'. Photographs show that the hospital's emergency department is closed.

It is said that several patients are being quarantined. At the moment no one is allowed to go home, eyewitnesses also report. Official information is still unavailable.

BBM

Apparently, two men from Congo, Africa came into the GP post of the Maasstad Hospital in Rotterdam. One of them was ill and shows possible signs of Ebola.

31 people who happened to be in the ER are now in quarantaine.

Rijnmond Veilig
rijnmondveilig.nl on Twitter

Deployment of Maasstad Hospital Rotterdam emergency services - A patient arrived at Maasstad Hospital this evening who was suspected of having an ebola infection. It has just been confirmed that there is no question of ebola.

BBM

That was quick... makes you wonder what if ...

Graphic Truth: The Growing Ebola Threat

ebolagraph.jpg

Shortages of new vaccines and attacks on aid workers are among the factors that have hampered health authorities' efforts to fight a new and deadly Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo. This latest outbreak is the second-worst ever, following a massive outbreak in 2014-2016, and the WHO warns of a "new normal" in which large outbreaks become common. Here's a look at the current outbreak in context. [picture]

BBM

Amy Maxmen
@amymaxmen

I went to DR Congo to see what it means to battle one of the most deadly viruses in cities tortured by war. Would love if you read my piece on how the region & #Ebola responders w/the @WHO are faring, out today in@NatureNews
(Thread)

This story began when@DrTedros asked me to go to #DRC—I suspect because the #Ebola outbreak has gotten little attention even tho 2050 people are dead so far& its spreading. But neglect is the norm for how the world views east DRC (except for when it comes to taking what we want)
While I was there, 160 people were killed & 300000 displaced. Did you read this in the news? Probably not. @DamelSoceFall told me, “The people here don’t believe that anyone cares for them, even their own government, so it’s very hard to convince them that we are here to help.
https://twitter.com/amymaxmen
My story focuses on @WHO bc they have 700 staff in the hotzone, more than other intern'l groups. And they need to prove themselves after dropping the ball in West Africa’s #Ebola crisis. But its a hard situation & they’re short on cash. Only enough $ to last thru Sept, @WHO says.
But the pit in my gut after writing are memories of Congolese whose lives are torn apart by violence & poverty. I asked @Chikwe_I about the #Ebola responders &he said “In some ways, they are paying for all of us ignoring the situation in this part of the continent for many years”

================

Longread at link:

Exclusive: Behind the front lines of the Ebola wars

The WHO has more Ebola responders on the ground than any other international organization because ongoing violence keeps many others at bay. The responders have faced death threats and stones, bullets and grenades.

BBM

Dead and injured following attacks on Ebola responders in the Democratic Republic of the Congo

Two attacks in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo have killed 4 workers responding to the Ebola outbreak and injured 5 others.

The attacks occurred overnight on a shared living camp in Biakato Mines and an Ebola response coordination office in Mangina.

“We are heartbroken that people have died in the line of duty as they worked to save others,” said Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, World Health Organization Director-General. “The world has lost brave professionals.”

The dead include a member of a vaccination team, two drivers and a police officer. No WHO staff are among those killed, although one was injured. The others injured are mostly from the Ministry of Health.

“My heart goes out to the family and friends of the first responders killed in these attacks,” said Dr Matshidiso Moeti, WHO Regional Director for Africa. “We are doing everything possible to bring the injured and front-line workers in the impacted areas to safety. These constant attacks must stop. We will continue to work with the DRC Government, partners and MONUSCO to ensure the security of our staff and other health workers.”

In the last week, there were 7 cases of Ebola, down from a peak of over 120 per week in April 2019.

“Ebola was retreating. These attacks will give it force again, and more people will die as a consequence,” said Dr Tedros. “It will be tragic to see more unnecessary suffering in communities that have already suffered so much. We call on everyone who has a role to play to end this cycle of violence.”

The situation is still evolving. WHO will provide updates as new information comes in.

BBM

RIP

It’s tough and very unfortunate as this region of the world is so dangerous. As a member of the Peace Corps in the Congo after college, we had to be airlifted out by helicopter due to infighting, but in my experience the citizens were some of the kindest most generous people even though they had so very little. Last year in July the hospital I work at had a possible Ebola patient and I’ve never experienced the nervousness of staff members before that happened then.

I bought protective gear for this when it was in the US a few years ago. Glad it didn't take off with such a high mortality rate and as contagious as it was. Surprised there weren't more threads on it at the time.

AFP News Agency
@AFP

#BREAKING Four Ebola deaths in Guinea, the first since 2016: health ministry
#UPDATE Four people have died of #Ebola in #Guinea in the first resurgence of the disease in five years, the country's health minister said http://u.afp.com/UTKS
#BREAKING Liberia raises surveillance levels after Guinea #Ebola deaths
#BREAKING Guinea health chief calls Ebola outbreak 'epidemic situation' with seven cases confirmed

Guinea sees first Ebola deaths since 2016

CONAKRY, (AFP) - Four people have died of Ebola in Guinea in the first resurgence of the disease in five years, the country's health minister said Saturday (Feb 13).

Remy Lamah told AFP officials were "really concerned" about the deaths, the first since a 2013-2016 epidemic - which began in Guinea - left 11,300 dead across the region.

One of the latest victims in Guinea was a nurse who fell ill in late January and was buried on Feb 1, National Health Security Agency head Sakoba Keita told local media.

"Among those who took part in the burial, eight people showed symptoms: diarrhoea, vomiting and bleeding," he said.

"Three of them died and four others are in hospital." The four deaths from Ebola hemorrhagic fever occurred in the southeast region of Nzerekore, he said.

Keita also told local media that one patient had "escaped" but had been found and hospitalised in the capital Conakry. He confirmed the comments to AFP without giving further detail.

BBM

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem
Back