EBT Card Glitch leads to theft, small riots and fraud

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the women in my certification program worked for Walmart in college and she said women would be so ashamed of having an ebt card because of the reaction of the other customers in line that they would hand her their ebt card with a debit card over the top and say they weren't able to swipe it and could she help them. She knew immediately that they were worried about the huffing and eyerolling of the Walmart customers behind them that they would rather pretend their debit card woudn't swipe than openly use their ebt card.

Luckily, this woman is a kind soul with a loving heart and she would say "oh, I see! Perhaps if I run your card through MY swiper, it will work!"

And she would run the card through and quickly place the debit card atop to preserve the woman's dignity.

I got the same dirty looks when I worked for a church and purchased things on a tax exempt status. Geez. It's the law, peoples!

Thanks for sharing your story.I have worked as a cashier for Walmart and saw this type of reaction on a daily basis. I have rung up people from ALL walks of life using EBT food stamp card. Stop judgingMOO

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

This just makes me sick. Walmart wasn't concerned about people being able to feed their family. They knew they were dealing with criminals and were afraid if they wouldn't let them steal their food they would get violent like the animals they are. They may have well had guns because they knew they were stealing and Walmart knew they were stealing but they were intimidated and fearful of what would happen if they didn't get what they wanted. How is that different then armed robbery?

Animals they are? please explain?

I assume she meant they are like animals when it comes to morality, they see an opportunity to take advantage of others and they do it without a second thought, it is their RIGHT to take advantage if the opportunity presents itself.

Most four legged animals do exactly the same thing though of course they aren't the ones that will riot or loot stores given the opportunity.

Animals, as in, purposely taking advantage of the system. Do you honestly think that people ringing up $700 or more of food and merchandise (that they KNEW they were not entitled to) is normal? Animals.

Look, I have absolutely no beef with someone getting food stamps because they've hit a rough patch in their life. That's what it's there for -- to give you some relief until you can get back on your feet again (and yes, people should not be judgemental about that). Unless you are so mentally or physically handicapped and cannot work, it is NOT there to support your lifestyle 365 days a year, as in, able bodied men and women not working (because they choose not too), because it's there, so why not take it?

Accountability is non existent in this country any more, no wonder people run amuck and do whatever they want. Why should Walmart pay for folks who obviously abused/frauded the system? Yes Walmart probably has the money but being nice should not be counted against them. These folks clearly knew they did not have that amount of money on their cards and if they are not held accountable they will have learned nothing.

<modsnipped>

That isn't an "unexpected rough patch" that is taking advantage of the system and the government blatantly encourages it (as the benefits start rolling in before the kid is even born).[/quote]

Not only that, I was behind a person who was trying to buy dog food with their WIC card. The cashier said they couldn't use the card for that. So the lady said, "Oh yeah, I forgot. Let me run back to the meat department, he (the dog) can eat raw meat, and that is covered."

Seriously, This really happened. :maddening:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think WIC tells their recipients what kind of baby food they can buy, they don't get to choose do they?

<modsnip>

Wait a minute. I take offense to that seriously. No one knows what someone else is going thru. I was on WIC when my 26 year old husband was in a coma almost dying and we went from 2 incomes to one. I had bills and a 19 month old. I went on WIC. I make really really good money, but not enough to take the blow of paying all the bills alone and I mean really alone. I dont go to church and didnt qualify for any other programs cause I made way to much money. I went to food pantries too. Stood out in the cold for 2 hours and I didnt even qualify for the food pantry either I went to cause I made 65,000.00 a year. One lady had pity on me and let me get food. I had daycare to pay for, a car payment, no car no job, rental house to pay for, and trying to keep the water, lights, and gas on. 2nd car repoed and the boat.Then I got the great news that I was being laid off in 3 months. Yeah me!!!

I burned thru my 401K and savings to keep from going homeless. My husband was in the hospital for 7 months and cannot work anymore ever. He needs a new heart.

I was desperate to feed me and my son. I had no one to help. Not the so called friends I had, no one. I cried myself to sleep cause I just wanted to die. Seriously. I dont wish that one no one, not one person. I've never been so hopeless ever. I dont have family to assist me and my husbands family, pfffft. My credit is ruined, just ruined. I lost our house and had to move. There goes my rental history. yeah try explaining that to creditors, they dont give a flip.

Yeah I stood in line in the suburbs with my WIC and I'm sure people saw another black female with a kid she cant feed and no daddy. Uh heck no, My husband was dying and I became bitter and hurt at how people looked at me. I wanted to scream, "hello, I'm married, I work, I'm educated!!"

Thank god I have a great job now and everything is stable, but I was seriously snobby thinking I could never be one of those people. Now I see things differently.

Burbqueen: I feel for you. When my kids were little my ex was also in an accident and we had to get food stamps/wic. We had no choice as I had to stay home with him and empty his bladder bag etc and take care of the babies. We also lost our credit as the person who hit him did not have car insurance, so guess who got all the bills? There are legitimate people who need help no doubt about it.

Never judge unless you've walked a mile in another man's shoes.
I was taught not to judge others.
It's hard but, you don't know their whole stories. Medical problems, homelessness, ex's taking their life savings.
I feel a lot happier when I let go of judgement.

I am horrified by the walmart shoppers. I am on food assistance and would never even try to cheat the system! Dh went to the store on sunday for a very small purchase and the card took but there was no balance on the receipt like there usually is. I am guessing that is the window of time that the shoppers took advantage of.

Dh and I were both hit with illnesses at the same time. We literally sold our wedding rings this morning. We needed gas in the car and dog food for our tiny dog. We've sold everything we can up to this point. We have no income. The garbage service picked our trash container up this morning because we can't pay the bill.

I've worked since I was fourteen. I am now fifty six. I do not want to live like this. We have no income at this point.

Every time I use my assistance card I say a prayer of thanksgiving!

We went to the store today and spent $63 on groceries for the week for the two of us. Before we sold the rings I had planned on buying some chicken so I could feed Carl (the tiny dog) chicken and rice and veggies. I will give up a lot...but not Carl. A few small pieces of chicken with the other things would probably been cheaper than the dog food was.

Until you have faced blinding poverty like we have I guess you can't understand. We NEVER thought we would be in this situation.

I hate it when a few cheaters make the rest of us look bad.

I am horrified by the walmart shoppers. I am on food assistance and would never even try to cheat the system! Dh went to the store on sunday for a very small purchase and the card took but there was no balance on the receipt like there usually is. I am guessing that is the window of time that the shoppers took advantage of.

Dh and I were both hit with illnesses at the same time. We literally sold our wedding rings this morning. We needed gas in the car and dog food for our tiny dog. We've sold everything we can up to this point. We have no income. The garbage service picked our trash container up this morning because we can't pay the bill.

I've worked since I was fourteen. I am now fifty six. I do not want to live like this. We have no income at this point.

Every time I use my assistance card I say a prayer of thanksgiving!

We went to the store today and spent $63 on groceries for the week for the two of us. Before we sold the rings I had planned on buying some chicken so I could feed Carl (the tiny dog) chicken and rice and veggies. I will give up a lot...but not Carl. A few small pieces of chicken with the other things would probably been cheaper than the dog food was.

Until you have faced blinding poverty like we have I guess you can't understand. We NEVER thought we would be in this situation.

I hate it when a few cheaters make the rest of us look bad.

My heart goes out to you and your dear husband. The system was put in place for folks like yourself whom had falling onto hard times.

I heard about this at a seminar I attended last weekend. There are already mothers who are watering down the formula for their babies and now if there isn't any money for formula for next month G*d knows how much more nutrition these babies will lose, resulting in growth problems and developmental delays.

I know it's not exactly on topic, but I really believe low income families should be educated on the benefits of breast feeding. At least when things like this happens, the babies wouldn't starve. Although, if mom gets nothing to eat, she may not produce milk.

Hard to believe in this country there are people without food or healthcare. I need to go lie down. It makes me so sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela