Ecuador - August Reiger, 18, US student, Banos, 16 June 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not sure if this has been posted or not, but I didn't see it. According to the link, President Obama has declared August a "Missing Patriot". In addition, according to the State Department, there have been 11 Americans kidnapped in the past 11 years in the region.

http://www.heavy.com/news/2013/06/august-reiger-ecuador-kidnapped-obama/

State Department link for Ecuador:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1106.html#country

Can't open one of those links. Does anyone know the answers to these questios?

Of those 11, how many have been recovered safely?
How many cases was ransom demanded?
If ransom was demanded, how long after the kidnapping?
What, if any, other demands were made?

I am thinking there have been some ransom demands already, but the family is being quiet about it. Can't blame them.

http://www.koco.com/news/oklahomane...nd/-/11777584/20699462/-/wcok4tz/-/index.html

Bringing this link forward. The 1993 case took WEEKS to resolve. And it was only resolved that quickly because the man from Tulsa befriended his kidnappers and hurried them along, even writing his own ransom note. These groups don't work on the same time scale we expect them to, they don't believe in "The New York Minute"

While he is kind of unique looking, I'd be interested to know if the person who spotted him was an Ecuadorian of colonial Spanish descent or indigenous descent. Cross racial eyewitnesses tend to be less reliable. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-race_effect

Banos is safer than places in Ecuador near the Colombia border, that's for certain.

Just catching up, and haven't read ALL of the posts, but this case intrigues me. Our family (with our two pre-teen/teen sons) went backpacking in Belize, and drove into the mountains of central Mexico from the Pacific coast. We had a fabulous time!! The locals were welcoming and so positive about family life and love. At no time did we feel at risk.

I then did some online research into Ecuador, and this was on our 'perhaps we should go here' list. Banos was my #1 'must see' list. While Quito sounded a bit 'shady', the rest of country (other than the north, along the Colombian border, where there were kidnappings related to the oil pipelines) sounded pretty safe.

I really wonder about a kidnapping in the Banos area. It sounds like a long shot. Certainly it's possible, but I suspect that August took off voluntarily. If he fell down a cliff, I would think that they would have found him by now. Perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part, but I hope he took off! I am going to guess that the residents of Banos are incredibly disturbed by this disappearance. They rely so much on the almighty tourist dollar!

Here is a screen capture from the video that was posted earlier on this thread:
Banos+trail+capture.JPGp:

I have just read the posts by "findaugust". Clearly I don't know August personally, so I would defer to Findaugust, who has clearly explained August's personality. I would like to think that August might have taken off (because that would mean that he is not in harm's way!), however, I understand that others know this young man and will be better able to determine what might be possible and what is not.

In the end, I just want this young man to be found safe!!!

Looks like the kidnappings the State Department references all took place in the northern region, closer to Colombia. I cannot find a single reference to any crime problem in Banos, with the sole exception of some petty crime- like stolen wallets- that has taken place in the area.

I am not sold on the idea that this was foul play, but if it was, I'm curious about how the crime would have been executed. How did a kidnapper(s) know where to be and when? How could they have possibly known August was going to walk ahead of his family during the hike? Did they follow the family? Or did they have no particular victim in mind, and simply lay in wait for the next unsuspecting person or group of people to wander by? Seems very far-fetched... but as I've said before- all the possible scenarios seem equally far-fetched in this particular case.

http://www.koco.com/news/oklahomane...nd/-/11777584/20699462/-/wcok4tz/-/index.html

Bringing this link forward. The 1993 case took WEEKS to resolve. And it was only resolved that quickly because the man from Tulsa befriended his kidnappers and hurried them along, even writing his own ransom note. These groups don't work on the same time scale we expect them to, they don't believe in "The New York Minute"
snip

The "New York Minute" is now almost two weeks and the party from whom payment might be exhorted is a middle-class family and not an oil company. Anecdotal evidence from 20 years ago does not guarantee applicability in 2013. Interesting point, though.

snip

The "New York Minute" is now almost two weeks and the party from whom payment might be exhorted is a middle-class family and not an oil company. Anecdotal evidence from 20 years ago does not guarantee applicability in 2013. Interesting point, though.

All we really have is anecdotal evidence. The majority of kidnappings for ransom go unreported. The number of Americans kidnapped is small enough that it is impossible to truly get scientific data.

First, they kidnap.
Then they transport.
Then they figure out who they have and how much they can get for them.
(there was a case where a man had a company badge on that said "CIAT" and it took him weeks to convince his abductors that didn't mean he was in the CIA)
Then they decide WHO to ask for the ransom.
Then they ask for ransom.

Now, given the high visibility of this case, they may be a bit panicked and wondering what to do.

Here are some examples of Americans, Aussies, Brits and Canadians getting abducted. (I've lumped them together, because, they are in a way, all very similar. Of European descent (aka white), speak English and come from countries were even the poor people make more money than the average Ecuadorian.
Hope this gives you a bit of insight into the troubles in the region. Personally, I'd be thrilled if he walked away, because that would mean he was safe. But I just can't buy that. I'm midway between "chased a monkey into the forest and fell" and "met with foul play/kidnapped"

------
The New Tribes Missionaries that were kidnapped (by a Colombian organization in a remote archipelago in Panama) in January of 1993. They did ask for ransom, however, they cut off all negotiations regarding the missionaries in Dec 1993. Subsequent investigations found that they were likely killed in 1996. That means they held them for at least 2 years following the stop of negotiations.
----
This is a kidnapping of 6 Americans and several others in Ecuador by the Colombian group FARC
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/six-americans-kidnapped-ecuador
----
An Israeli-American kidnapped in 2012 in Ecuador
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4265399,00.html
He was rescued a few days later but was equipped with a tracking device that gave his location every 10 minutes.
-----
From: https://www.osac.gov/Pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=13476
"Kidnappings have occurred along the northern border with Colombia, and foreigners have been targeted. Kidnappings are more often economically rather than politically motivated. At least 13 U.S. citizens are known to have been victims of kidnapping in this region in the past 12 years. Since 1998, at least 13 U.S. citizens have been kidnapped in Ecuador. In October 2009, an American citizen was kidnapped in Tulcan and held for ransom. After 21 days, the victim was rescued after an intensive investigation involving Ecuadorian, Colombian, and U.S. law enforcement. In 2012, two Americans were held against their will--one held by an indigenous group and later released and one held for ransom by a paramilitary group near the Colombian border in Sucumbíos, who escaped. Two Canadian tourists were held against their will and assaulted in the Cuyabeno National Park near Lago Agrio and later released."
-----
An article about a man kidnapped in 1996 who fought for travel warnings because it was not an isolated incident
http://www.nytimes.com/1996/09/10/n...nts-us-warnings-about-dangers-in-ecuador.html
This article also mentioned being walked for weeks. "After spending about two weeks hiking through the jungle along with his captors"
-----
And an article about a group kidnapped in 2001, including one who was executed: http://articles.latimes.com/2001/feb/15/news/mn-25850

-------
And a British woman in 2012
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Gang-snatch-Briton-Amazon-canoe-holiday.html

I know a very dear family who was close to their son, yet he committed suicide on Fathers Day. We never know what in someone's heart.

I concur. You never know what is going on in someone's head. I had a friend commit sucicide a few weeks ago. We were all shocked. None of us thought she'd so something like that. My SIL committed in front of her two daughters years ago. I never thought she'd do that either, she always acted so full of herself. You just never know.

I agree, you often just never know. There are people in my life who I KNOW wouldn't do this, but lots on the fence

With this young man, I still strongly suspect he went off willingly into the jungle. His general character pointed to that as being a very very strong possibility.

I agree, you often just never know. There are people in my life who I KNOW wouldn't do this, but lots on the fence

With this young man, I still strongly suspect he went off willingly into the jungle. His general character pointed to that as being a very very strong possibility.

I could not presume to say what anyone I know would or would not do, as I know I have considered doing things no one who knows me would imagine.

I could not presume to say what anyone I know would or would not do, as I know I have considered doing things no one who knows me would imagine.

It's ok cluciano63, everyone dream about running off and becoming a trapeze artist in the circus. I'm so not with you on that weird robot thing tho. :floorlaugh:

(Sorry, all the research on Ecuadorian crime, FARC and ELN has made me a little loopy.)

Great video.

Mr. Reiger indicated they searched intensively where August could have fallen. But what about ABOVE the trail? What if he scampered up the hill off the trail to scare his brother or parents and got bit by something poisonous or otherwise fell prey to a non-human predator?

I concur. You never know what is going on in someone's head. I had a friend commit sucicide a few weeks ago. We were all shocked. None of us thought she'd so something like that. My SIL committed in front of her two daughters years ago. I never thought she'd do that either, she always acted so full of herself. You just never know.

Very sorry to hear about your friend and SIL, Seajay. :(

I have to agree with you Clu. After my experiences, I wouldn't presume to know what goes on in anyone's head. Just like no one knows what goes on in mine. Some people would be really surprised. And I'd probably get arrested for some of them if people could read my mind. LOL

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89
Back