Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wanted to ADD

Cindy's MySpace entry "My Caylee is Missing" is IN

Casey's Diary of Days post is IN

I think that the odor/air sample evidence should come in even though it will be argued it is "new" or "junk" science This is why ... It isn't new science. First of all, Baez asks the question of how can you measure an odor of something that is no longer there? That is classic JB at his best trying to confuse the facts. While it is true that the primary source (body) was removed, a secondary source of odor remained -- the saturated carpet. It's kind of like when you wash a pen with you clothes and the ink ends up on everything in the wash. The stains don't vanish just because you find and dispose of the pen. The measurement and identification of odors from collected air samples has been in practice for many years. I remembered an advertisement for a meter that you blow into and it will tell you if you have bad breath. It tested for the presence of bacteria and enzymes associated with halitosis. Not NEW, Not Junk Mr. Baez! Breathalyzers work in a similar fashion. You blow into a machine (or so I understand) air samples are trapped in a sealed container then analyzed to give a qualitative measurement as well as a quantitative measurement in respect to concentration. NOT NEW SCIENCE In this case the stained carpet was the subject and you can't ask a piece of carpet to "blow" so the carpet was allowed to off gas into a container and then an air samples were collected and analyzed. This is NOT a new technique ...http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Publications/PM1963C.pdf
Now onto the "not new" science of identifying specific odors using GC/MS.

"The e-nose created by surgeon David Morgan and engineer Ritaban Dutta and colleagues can sit on a doctor's desk and analyse gasses given off by swabs from patients for signs of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and other strains of Staph aureus." Replace "swab" with "carpet" and change the bacteria to those associated with human decomp. This method used to collect, analyze and identify sources of odor using air samples is virtually the same technique used by Dr. Vass. It has been researched and peer reviewed is accepted and again NOT new!

I this isn't new or unproven science. I am sure that Dr. Vass is brilliant <3, but he did not invent the science, he merely expanded its application.

There are a ton of articles that discuss odor detection and identification. Below is my google search results.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/search-results-measuring-odor

A visit to that car on a nice damp humid Florida day will bring back that smell in a nanosecond.
I clean my car whenever I'm going to have passengers, but even with all my careful cleaning,deodorizing, if it rains, it smells like wet dogs... :floorlaugh:

A visit to that car on a nice damp humid Florida day will bring back that smell in a nanosecond.
I clean my car whenever I'm going to have passengers, but even with all my careful cleaning,deodorizing, if it rains, it smells like wet dogs... :floorlaugh:

Same here. One of my cats peed on slate in a foyer, and when it's humid, you can still smell it 5 years later. You can just imagine with so much more volume of fluid in the trunk what that must smell like.

Please please let the air sample ruling come today!!

In yesterday's (5/2) hearing, JP talks about everyone waiting to know what he's going to rule on the last motion. I assume he meant the air tests.

This can be found here, starting at 5:25
http://www.wftv.com/video/27745342/index.html

He then gives an example...

"The Supreme Court last Friday came out with an earth shattering decision, so to speak, dealing with dogs."

Does anyone know what the Supreme Court recently ruled about dogs, and could it possibly effect this case and HHJP's current decision about the canine searches?

ETA: I just heard CM mention this on IS.

Harris vs State
http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/decisions/2011/sc08-1871.pdf

In yesterday's (5/2) hearing, JP talks about everyone waiting to know what he's going to rule on the last motion. I assume he meant the air tests.

This can be found here, starting at 5:25
http://www.wftv.com/video/27745342/index.html

He then gives an example...

"The Supreme Court last Friday came out with an earth shattering decision, so to speak, dealing with dogs."

Does anyone know what the Supreme Court recently ruled about dogs, and could it possibly effect this case and HHJP's current decision about the canine searches?

ETA: I just heard CM mention this on IS.

Harris vs State
http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/decisions/2011/sc08-1871.pdf

Here is an article about the Harris vs State case
the article also mentions another civil liberities case involving drug sniffing dogs and searching a private home

http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/editorials/article1166909.ece

I was thinking about this same thing this week. If HHMP doesn't allow the air tests to come in, couldn't the jury make a field trip to the car. I'm sure that having been locked up in a storage facility for more than 2 and a half years, the car still smells of human decomposition. It's been said that the smell never completely goes away.

I was thinking about this same thing this week. If HHMP doesn't allow the air tests to come in, couldn't the jury make a field trip to the car. I'm sure that having been locked up in a storage facility for more than 2 and a half years, the car still smells of human decomposition. It's been said that the smell never completely goes away.

I hope that the jury asks to experience what human decomp smells like! I think that is really important to this case ... I would want to know if I was on the jury!

I think that the odor/air sample evidence should come in even though it will be argued it is "new" or "junk" science This is why ... It isn't new science. First of all, Baez asks the question of how can you measure an odor of something that is no longer there? That is classic JB at his best trying to confuse the facts. While it is true that the primary source (body) was removed, a secondary source of odor remained -- the saturated carpet. It's kind of like when you wash a pen with you clothes and the ink ends up on everything in the wash. The stains don't vanish just because you find and dispose of the pen. The measurement and identification of odors from collected air samples has been in practice for many years. I remembered an advertisement for a meter that you blow into and it will tell you if you have bad breath. It tested for the presence of bacteria and enzymes associated with halitosis. Not NEW, Not Junk Mr. Baez! Breathalyzers work in a similar fashion. You blow into a machine (or so I understand) air samples are trapped in a sealed container then analyzed to give a qualitative measurement as well as a quantitative measurement in respect to concentration. NOT NEW SCIENCE In this case the stained carpet was the subject and you can't ask a piece of carpet to "blow" so the carpet was allowed to off gas into a container and then an air samples were collected and analyzed. This is NOT a new technique ...http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Publications/PM1963C.pdf
Now onto the "not new" science of identifying specific odors using GC/MS.

"The e-nose created by surgeon David Morgan and engineer Ritaban Dutta and colleagues can sit on a doctor's desk and analyse gasses given off by swabs from patients for signs of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and other strains of Staph aureus." Replace "swab" with "carpet" and change the bacteria to those associated with human decomp. This method used to collect, analyze and identify sources of odor using air samples is virtually the same technique used by Dr. Vass. It has been researched and peer reviewed is accepted and again NOT new!

I this isn't new or unproven science. I am sure that Dr. Vass is brilliant <3, but he did not invent the science, he merely expanded its application.

There are a ton of articles that discuss odor detection and identification. Below is my google search results.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/search-results-measuring-odor

Wow lots of good reading there, thanks for sharing your research. I'd like to add another thing... what is a breathalyzer test other than a machine that can smell your breath for alcohol... those are NOT new at all and are widely accepted in court proceedings.

I do hope the air tests come in but I don't think it will be catastrophic to the SA's case if it doesn't. The 911 call and GA saying he was afraid the smell was his daughter and granddaughter is already in. Having the tests in would help that but I think the testimony will do the trick. IMVHO

Does anyone know if DC is on either witness list and if the video of him searching the area that the "psychic" sent him to that Caylee was later found come in?

I was really expecting the air sample evidence ruling today -- can they do jury selection without it? And tomorrow has to be a busy day for His Honor: moving day, right?

Twitter 4 min ago!!!!!

CFNews13Casey Casey Anthony News13

Judge Perry rules air samples from trunk of #CaseyAnthony car will Be allowed at trial. -fell

:great::great::great::great::great::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

So are we still waiting to hear about the 31 days? Is that the last evidence to be allowed in or not? I mean, I pretty much know it's coming in, I just haven't seen an order to that effect yet.

Wanted to ADD

Cindy's MySpace entry "My Caylee is Missing" is IN

Casey's Diary of Days post is IN

Interesting reading this older thread about evidence that is allowed.. Sadly, JB ruled the "My Caylee is Missing" MySpace entry was not allowed after all.

However, have faith in LDB, she brought it al out with her meticulous handling of the questions... she deserves a raise!

Still, I am worried that so much of what we know through discovery, will not be introduced in court.... but then again..many of the claims in the DT stated during opening..have already been discredited..and the cross by JB has really made ICA look bad in the eyes of the jury IMO

First thing this morning, Judge Perry will listen to arguements (10 minutes each side) and then make a determination as to whether or not Casey's six felony convictions can be admitted into evidence - due to a HUGE blunder by Casey's counsel, JB.

http://www.wesh.com/casey-anthony-extended-coverage/28082847/detail.html#ixzz1O0u3gG7P

Casey&#8217;s Criminal History

Prosecutors said Tuesday afternoon they hope to tell the jury about Casey&#8217;s six prior felony convictions.

Casey&#8217;s defense doesn&#8217;t want the jury to hear about her past, but prosecutors claim the defense opened itself up to the issue.

Perry will take up the matter at a 8:30 a.m. hearing Wednesday.

Interesting reading this older thread about evidence that is allowed.. Sadly, JB ruled the "My Caylee is Missing" MySpace entry was not allowed after all.

However, have faith in LDB, she brought it al out with her meticulous handling of the questions... she deserves a raise!

Still, I am worried that so much of what we know through discovery, will not be introduced in court.... but then again..many of the claims in the DT stated during opening..have already been discredited..and the cross by JB has really made ICA look bad in the eyes of the jury IMO

HHJP, is being very careful, the advent of social media in the court system is giving him much to consider. There is much that can get through the first few sieves before trial...as far as what is allowed and what is not...now we have a finer sieve and the SA needs to present things in a way..giving reasons why it should be allowed. HHJP, with IM's etc wants to be very careful...and I for one appreciate it...how often do we chat something really lame...that if someone took it out of context could cause a heap of trouble.

A lot of the MYSpace got testified to, to the jury via CA on the stand...they just couldn't read the totality of it.

But really...is that myspace post...more damning or finger pointing than the jail call from yesterday...and wait till YM gets on the stand...I am smelling cooked goose...

Home Depot Videos

what else?

Will we ever know what's on the Home Depot Tapes?

The photobucket!!

Kio Marie's testimony about pet burials at the swamp by the school.

The fact KC deleted a couple of hundred pictures of Caylee.

Didn't get to hear Jesse Grund say Casey broke up with him because she felt that he loved Caylee more than her.

Tony L stating he didn't feel his apartment was an appropriate place for Caylee to be sleeping. When he had kids, he wanted a boy.

The hundreds of checks writen on her mothers account, credit cards, online bank payments, stealing from grandmothers account set up for her grandfathers care, Amy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lamonara
Back