Ex-`Grey's' star cites racism for firing

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I would like ANYONE ON HERE to name for me ONE white celeb who has ever played the race card. I can't think of even one, and I am truly hoping someone can prove me wrong. ....

My husband's not a celebrity except in my eyes, but he tells me that the white race card gets played at his large company all the time. As in white middle-aged men wandering the halls and lamenting, "I didn't get that job/promotion because I'm not black or female."

My husband's not a celebrity except in my eyes, but he tells me that the white race card gets played at his large company all the time. As in white middle-aged men wandering the halls and lamenting, "I didn't get that job/promotion because I'm not black or female."

True. I have heard that one myself many times.

WR, I think you have an "issue" here, but that doesn't mean I believe you go around being unkind to anybody in real life. I don't doubt you have had and will have black friends.

White celebrities don't play the "race card" because in this country, white celebrities almost never work for black-dominated corporations. White people have sued for racial discrimination, but it is much rarer.

But you hear white celebrities playing all sorts of other cards, most notably the "I was drunk or drugged card."

In IW's account, he wasn't fired for making one homophobic remark, he was fired because people around him "felt threatened," supposedly according to an HR rep. He inferred that they felt specially threatened by him because he was a tall, outspoken black man. Whether any of that is true, we don't know. My argument is let'ss don't assume it is false, because it certainly isn't impossible.

I don't have an issue at all...I have an opinion. And when I see a post about a white celeb playing any kind of drunk/drugged card I will go on there and say it is stupid as well. I remember I had quite a few unkind things to say about Paris.
As for the threads, I am not going to keep defending myself...I will say this and then I am done...I can remember three race-related threads I have started, the white privelege conference one, and the Wesley S. and Vivica one. And on two of them I never even posted a comment. I post threads I think are interesting, and that I think other people may think so as well. I think everyone likes to hear about celebs, so when something catches my eye about them I post. I also recently started the Julia Roberts baby and Britney Spears/mom threads but I don't see you guys singling them (the threads) out for criticism. What, because they are WHITE? And I am white? So I can be critical of white people (like Paris, didn't criticize J.R or B.S) and say anything negative I want about her because I am white, but if I as a white girl dare criticize a black I have "issues."
And even if I don't comment on a post I still enjoy reading what others think and respect opinions whether I agree with them or not.
So Nova, and MasterJ if you have a problem with the race-related threads, whether mine or anyone elses QUIT reading them.

And even if I don't comment on a post I still enjoy reading what others think and respect opinions whether I agree with them or not.
So Nova, and MasterJ if you have a problem with the race-related threads, whether mine or anyone elses QUIT reading them.
Good points White Rain. ;):angel:

I don't have an issue at all...I have an opinion. And when I see a post about a white celeb playing any kind of drunk/drugged card I will go on there and say it is stupid as well. I remember I had quite a few unkind things to say about Paris.

About Paris? Or most of the white race? :)

It may be true. The trend in my Country is to do this but I guess the only difference might be is that the Employers don't try to cover it up. Here's one example:

Universities hiring, but white males need not apply

http://fact.on.ca/newpaper/vs990917.htm

As for the threads, I am not going to keep defending myself...I will say this and then I am done...I can remember three race-related threads I have started, the white privelege conference one, and the Wesley S. and Vivica one. And on two of them I never even posted a comment. I post threads I think are interesting, and that I think other people may think so as well. I think everyone likes to hear about celebs, so when something catches my eye about them I post. I also recently started the Julia Roberts baby and Britney Spears/mom threads but I don't see you guys singling them (the threads) out for criticism. What, because they are WHITE? And I am white? So I can be critical of white people (like Paris, didn't criticize J.R or B.S) and say anything negative I want about her because I am white, but if I as a white girl dare criticize a black I have "issues."

I have found that, no matter what topic a person posts about, 9 times out of 10, there will be someone who has an issue with it or with someone's stated opinion in the thread... Or, they just "stir the pot", argue or "get one's goat"... because they can.

I'm with you... people start many threads of interest... doesn't mean it's our opinion, but news we want to share to get other's opinions on. Don't let someone's uncalled for comments get to you... move on and you'll find someone who agree's with you... ;)

I have found that, no matter what topic a person posts about, 9 times out of 10, there will be someone who has an issue with it or with someone's stated opinion in the thread... Or, they just "stir the pot", argue or "get one's goat"... because they can.

I'm with you... people start many threads of interest... doesn't mean it's our opinion, but news we want to share to get other's opinions on. Don't let someone's uncalled for comments get to you... move on and you'll find someone who agree's with you... ;)

I'll reply to White Rain when I get a second, but in the meantime, let me say there's another alternative to "moving on and finding someone who agrees with you."

It's actually thinking about the replies you get and reevaluating your own opinion. This alternative may be more difficult, but it's more rewarding in the end.

IIRC, nobody said you couldn't start any thread or comment on any thread you like. Certainly, nobody said African Americans--famous or not--should be beyond criticism.

But as a new poster so slyly suggested, there is a huge difference between threads on individual white celebrities and threads suggesting some black celebrity is--YET AGAIN--playing the so-called "race card," as "those people" are so apt to do.

If I am mistaken that this subject evokes extraordinary indignation from you, I apologize. But that is the impression I have gotten.

As for simply "not reading" race-related threads, if only it were that simple!

[strikethrough]But given the garbage one finds posted in these threads on a regular basis, every right-thinking person has a moral obligation to respond.[/strikethrough]

ETA: I wish I could take back the sentence above. (I would just delete it, but posters have already seen it.)

What I should have said is this: all members of any majority need to take care that they don't help reinforce stereotypes of minorities. For that reason, I have an obligation to participate whenever these "white resentment" threads pop up.

(Obviously, you have a special relationship with your gay friends and your saying "butch it up" in that context doesn't offend them and I'm sure it wouldn't offend me. But President Bush saying the same thing to Rep. Barney Frank would be very offensive.

Nova, I hate to snip such a small bit of what was a thoroughly well thought out and enlightening response, but could you please WARN US before analogies such as the one above?

I had a mouthful of creamed corn and I fear it will never come off my monitor. The mental image, alas, will be even harder to remove. :angel:

Nova, I hate to snip such a small bit of what was a thoroughly well thought out and enlightening response, but could you please WARN US before analogies such as the one above?

I had a mouthful of creamed corn and I fear it will never come off my monitor. The mental image, alas, will be even harder to remove. :angel:

Sorry, angelmom. But you know GW probably does talk like that in private. Despite his carefully calculated image as a "West Texan," I'm sure he's been around plenty of gay men in his life.

If I am mistaken that this subject evokes extraordinary indignation from you, I apologize. But that is the impression I have gotten.

I have also gotten that same impression.

IIRC, nobody said you couldn't start any thread or comment on any thread you like. Certainly, nobody said African Americans--famous or not--should be beyond criticism.

But as a new poster so slyly suggested, there is a huge difference between threads on individual white celebrities and threads suggesting some black celebrity is--YET AGAIN--playing the so-called "race card," as "those people" are so apt to do.

The minute I find a white celeb playing the race card you better believe I would post that too.
Yes this subject does recieve indignation from me...and I am free to express that. I am allowed to have an opinion Nova and Paladin, even if it doesn't match your own.

I'll reply to White Rain when I get a second, but in the meantime, let me say there's another alternative to "moving on and finding someone who agrees with you."

It's actually thinking about the replies you get and reevaluating your own opinion. This alternative may be more difficult, but it's more rewarding in the end.

Does "reevaluating your own opinion" apply to yourself as well Nova, or only those who don't agree with you?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slafrance74
Back