Extreme Home Edition in South Carolina today

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
JBean said:
Well we match because I only saw the beginning. The father died from an allergic reaction to toxic mold in the house. They had worked really hard to buy this home and unbeknownst to them it had a high concentration of mold, which killed him.He died on Christmas eve.They even played the 911 call of when she called the paramedics while he was dying.The whole thing was just cruel.She had to move the kids and herself out of the house immediately because the mold was unsafe for the kids.
She moved in with her sister I think.
That was all I saw.
Thanks, JBean. Then another part of significance was that they built the house frame out of "bluewood" (sp) which is chemically treated to keep mold from growing (and it was blue!). Very thoughtful on their part.

I love love love LOVE that show... about the taxes: at one time didn't Endemol (the shows owners) say that they would start helping with the tax issues? I know some people were having to sell their homes because they couldn't keep up the tax payments. Now, in NC they are trying to pass a tax law that safeguards houses that are made over out of charity like with EHMO... the tax bill would not go up due to the charitable makeover... that the tax assessed would be on the house as it was before the makeover.

As my SO says about residential taxes: you may think you own the land and own the house, but actually, the tax man is your landlord. LoL

Ok well I have to tell you the conversations on the shuttle were all about......the tax issue and also if they could afford keeping the home. Many were saying that people lost these homes sometimes after a year, or they would have to sell.
This home was a mobile......so it doesn't go down as a home actually. They are registered more like a motor vehicle, and treated unlike a regular home.
So replaceing it, would not mean the same as replacing a stick built home.
Wondering how that effects the tax on this new home.
Just the utilites will be quite a sum. There has to be an enormous fund......15,000 a year could easily be the taxes and the utilities. Although, it is in Horry county......and if if falls as it does in this section.....taxes are very, very, low.......I guess from the tourist industry receipts.
Many on the shuttle were saying they would be happy and feel comforable with just a 2000 or so sq foot home.
That might not be an all so bad idea.........Extreme could build two homes at that rate. Make them homey and comforable with a screen porch and nice deck/porch.
The more I think about their conversations........the more I think that........
two homes.......providing for two unfortunate situations would be quite a grand idea. Each at 2200 sq feet rather then 4400.......This would be easier to heat, take care of, and by joy for two families.
This is wonderful in any case........just passing along the shuttle conversations ......for thoughts here.

Wheweeeeeee, Last night at the House of Blues Restaurant twenty thousand dollars was collected for the Wilson family.
The band, Hootie and the Blowfish ,did the charity event.
Lots of concerns were coming into the TV station by Email and phone about the expenses........looks like if this keeps up........they will have a nice amount in the bank for them.
I really feel with this community.......this family will be alright.
Great job Extreme Home and Longs, South Carolina.;)

Hi everyone.......the show will air on March 25th 8PM Eastern time.
After 3 hours in soaking rain........I did get to see Ty.......
Although my pictures of him were not all that grand in the mist of hundreds of umbrellas, I did try for a few...we'll see..........Ty was leaping along as he usually does, with his hands waving and holding a big umbrella of his own.
It was a downpouring day.( and cold)......to be waiting for the Big Moment. But, it was sure fun. The house is gorgeous. They planted trees and plants galore.
One of the neighbors standing by me stated there was a car for her in the back of the house ( Yukon).......They put up a great climbing fort and we could see the slide. The bus........They do get it parked nicely in front. Everyone was hooting and hollaring. "Move the Bus, Move the Bus"........
Now, I can't wait to see the inside of the home.......that will air on March 25th.( some sweet people even came over with Pizza and Chicken, one dear lady used the bagged chicken just to warm up......:eek:
A bit frozen to the bone.......after 3 soaking hours.........I left.
But, it was really nice to be there and see this home rise up.
To watch all the excitment and .........to get to see Ty.....
Tonight I am still trying to get warm.......
Mark your calendars........and enjoy the show........
But really.........South Carolina has so much better weather then what happened during this week.......Ah....where did the Sun go :eek:

Sundayrain said:
Hi everyone.......the show will air on March 25th 8PM Eastern time.
After 3 hours in soaking rain........I did get to see Ty.......
Although my pictures of him were not all that grand in the mist of hundreds of umbrellas, I did try for a few...we'll see..........Ty was leaping along as he usually does, with his hands waving and holding a big umbrella of his own.
It was a downpouring day.( and cold)......to be waiting for the Big Moment. But, it was sure fun. The house is gorgeous. They planted trees and plants galore.
One of the neighbors standing by me stated there was a car for her in the back of the house ( Yukon).......They put up a great climbing fort and we could see the slide. The bus........They do get it parked nicely in front. Everyone was hooting and hollaring. "Move the Bus, Move the Bus"........
Now, I can't wait to see the inside of the home.......that will air on March 25th.( some sweet people even came over with Pizza and Chicken, one dear lady used the bagged chicken just to warm up......:eek:
A bit frozen to the bone.......after 3 soaking hours.........I left.
But, it was really nice to be there and see this home rise up.
To watch all the excitment and .........to get to see Ty.....
Tonight I am still trying to get warm.......
Mark your calendars........and enjoy the show........
But really.........South Carolina has so much better weather then what happened during this week.......Ah....where did the Sun go :eek:

My husbands friend owns a Vinyl siding company and donated his time over there.. he said it is a beautiful home and people have been wonderful donating money to this family to help pay the taxes, utilities etc.

In another post you mentioned this familys taxes are paid to Horry county.. Are you sure they are not within city limits?? I could have sworn Hwy 90 was within city limits.

No kidding about the weather- last weekend we were wearing T-shirts and today we had freezing rain! I can't wait until April so we can open the pool!!

Oh that siding is beautiful.....very nice color and I love the trim.
I seemed to have read its horry county.....in the city limits.....I wouldn't think so.
That street is inland and is just beginning to get new development now.
( I think that account is growing ,and she will be fine with everything for years to come)
This will be a great show on the 25th.......Renee went to her knees with joy.
She backed up from the house as she could barely believe her eyes.
She got a Ford Expedition......that was in the back yard. There is a basketball area somewhere ( back I guess)......One room is Spiderman.....
Hey, I can't say more. It is all a secret until the March 25th date......
I am betting by show time the fund will exceed one hundred thousand.......
It is up there. All four children have been guarenteed four years college.
I hope they work real hard to make people proud that they are getting this wonderful head start.
Renee......she is full of Joy.....
I mean its not even just a house....its the furniture, clothes, landscape, ......food in the fridge......and oh my.......college.
One of the teachers who put her nomination in......had to help her up from the ground.
I know its a lot.......and its grand......and its quite spoiling.......
But, I find it quite rewarding myself to see what people can do to help their fellow man. Its over the top.......much to the Extreme.......and .....
just overpoweringly......Joyous. I am so glad it was done.....and so happy for Grandmother Renee and the four children.......Bless her and Bless Home Makeover.
As for me.........I am still thawing out........:)

When I begin to feel there is nothing good in this world anymore (Parents murdering their kids, gangs, drugs..) I read things like this so I can be reminded that their are good people left!

I think it's wonderful that HGT and Coastal have given scholarships to the kids... FULL Scholarships!

Jimmy (hubbys friend who helped out) said that the basketball court is amazing.

I'm so afraid the "mother" of the children will see this on the news and show up at her mothers new home expecting something from her...

Did anyone see Sunday's show? The family had 6 children, 5 were autistic.

I cried the whole time. We only have one child that is special-needs (3 other typical children) and I can't imagine how they get through the day. It was interesting to watch a family deal with some of the same issues that we deal with. You don't feel so alone in the world. I hope a lot of people watched it and gained a new understanding for the people in the autistic (or other medical conditions) world.

I'm so thankful for the Extreme Home Makeover show and what they do for people that really need the help. :blowkiss:

:blowkiss: Thanks sundayrain!! I am happy enough just reading all your updates! And now I can't wait to watch the show!!

Sundayrain said:
The home is in Longs on Route 90.......I come in from the West 31 to 22 to 90.......but, you might live closer to 90 from a North Myrtle Beach area. When you are on route 90 you won't miss the area as it is full of police etc......the shuttle to go in and have some place to park is at a Citgo Station area before the site. Today they did not sell the shirts. I had heard they did though from people on the shuttle.The kids from the home do attend the North Myrtle School district.....
Hey......did I see one of your dogs named Sadie.......hummmmm.....I'm trying to get a picture of Ty for our Sadie here......LOLOLOLOL( Sadie, forgive me...)

Taximom said:
Did anyone see Sunday's show? The family had 6 children, 5 were autistic.

I cried the whole time. We only have one child that is special-needs (3 other typical children) and I can't imagine how they get through the day. It was interesting to watch a family deal with some of the same issues that we deal with. You don't feel so alone in the world. I hope a lot of people watched it and gained a new understanding for the people in the autistic (or other medical conditions) world.

I'm so thankful for the Extreme Home Makeover show and what they do for people that really need the help. :blowkiss:
We saw it last night--great show--They are the only family in the USA to have so many autstic chldren--It was so cute to watch the expressions of the only child who was not autistic, the brown haired girl when she saw the inside of the house--and what a great house it was!---and I admire that mother tremendously for taking care of all her special needs kids

ljwf22 said:
Every week we think it'll be hard to find a more worthy family and the next week EMHE does. There are so many out there. It must be heart-wrenching for the producers to pick a family!
--I agree--I cannot imagine how many thousands of application videos they get and what they have to sit thru--It must be brutal to decide who gets help and who doesn't

I wish they would do something for Shasta and her dad..their friends and neighbors are trying to raise $$$ to have a house built for them and it is taking forever..that little girl needs a home.

Well finally the Extreme Home that we attended in SC.......tonight at 8PM Eastern time.
I am quite excited to see the inside of this home......finally.
Hummm.......so much rain that week.......lots of seas of umbrellas.
No way to say hi to anyone, as the umbrellas poured buckets of water..in all directions. LOL
Many of our SC friends attended the days of building.......
So glad that this day is here.....watch tonight.....so great!!:dance:
The story was so sweet about, how everyone was painting, and Ty showing up painting behind them and talking up a storm......
Such a great family of people who work for this show.....wonderful.

Well finally the Extreme Home that we attended in SC.......tonight at 8PM Eastern time.
I am quite excited to see the inside of this home......finally.
Hummm.......so much rain that week.......lots of seas of umbrellas.
No way to say hi to anyone, as the umbrellas poured buckets of water..in all directions. LOL
Many of our SC friends attended the days of building.......
So glad that this day is here.....watch tonight.....so great!!:dance:
The story was so sweet about, how everyone was painting, and Ty showing up painting behind them and talking up a storm......
Such a great family of people who work for this show.....wonderful.

Think we'll see you at all? Are you wearing anything different than the others? How exciting!!!

So sorry it had to rain! That stinks. I don't know how you build a house, let alone keep it clean once it's built when it rains that much!

I missed it! I was looking forward to seeing it after reading about the family here. Hopefully it will be repeated. We had tickets to see Blue Man Group - it was awesome! :clap:

I watched last night and have to say my favorite thing was when the little guy was excited about the dictionary. That just warmed my heart and makes me very proud of his grandma and his teachers for instilling such a thirst for knowledge in him.

Such a great show. As much as I know it's hard for them to pick families I think it's great to see whole communities come together for one family and raise awareness of how much a helping hand can do for another person.

I think I cry every week and should invest heavily in the Kleenex company ;)

I saw it last night also. It was really good. We loved the little boy that loved to read and wanted books. I got such a kick out of him when he saw all the books and was just so thrilled and said he couldn't wait to get to learning!!!!

I cry every time I watch this show.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back