Family battling Children’s Hospital to bring teen home for Christmas

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Remember the original excuse was DCF’s accusation of “medical abuse” against the Pelletiers. That “abuse” consisted of following treatment prescribed by doctors at Tufts Medical Center. Now, Polanowicz’s own plan calls for the Pelletiers to “follow through with the Tufts Medical Center plan.”

Wait — isn’t that why the state took Justina in the first place?"

http://news.bostonherald.com/news_o...14/05/graham_justina_reunion_a_political_ploy

But I thought her family wanted her to be treated by Tufts doctors?

The plan is reasonable.

Her parents would see her more.

MOO

This new facility isn't much closer than the one in MA.
Furthermore, so far DCF has not allowed the parents to visit her in the facility. They drive her somewhere else.

Already, there have been troubling disclosures in the new plan, said Mr. Staver. A key doctor at Tufts Medical Center has requested to see Justina “every two weeks,” but has been told he may see her “every two months,” he said.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...fare-battle-be-moved-closer-ho/#ixzz3104j9L3C
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

This has derailed into the absolutely ridiculous. If a doctor wants to see a patient every two weeks, DCF can't legally stand in the way. Nobody at Tufts is adding credibility to these ridiculous allegations. This family and their supporters seem to inhabit another plant.

I'm curious if Mr. Staver has a real job that actually earns him money. Because all this sounds like some very poorly executed political campaign.

JMO

I noticed that in the linked article that Justina will need to show progress at the new therapeutic center before reunification. What if she can't show progress.

snipped
The Department of Children and Families retains permanent legal custody of Justina, and a juvenile court judge, who has already been highly critical of the parents’ behavior, holds the power to review legal custody. The next hearing would be next month at the earliest. The state’s child-protection agency also has the option of placing Justina temporarily at her home, while it retains custody.

snipped
It is unclear when the 27-bed center in Thompson, Conn., was asked to accept Justina. But it has deep ties to Massachusetts. JRI, which stands for Justice Resource Institute, is one of the largest human services providers in Massachusetts, performing extensive work for DCF. The company was paid $46.4 million by the state in fiscal 2014, according to the state’s online database.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...ficial-says/U1iIEmdFQArXPedv3lMb6N/story.html

bbm wow

Poor Justina, her entire teen life is going to be doctor after doctor, and social worker after social worker. If she comes through all this without a psychologicial problem it will be a miracle. If she has somatoform disorder she can't just force herself to improve anymore than she could with mito.

Since the judge cited some issues with the parents' capability of taking care of Justina's needs and the visitation has so far been heavily supervised (I think someone mentioned armed security) and now the requirements include visits and family therapy I'm inclined to think that an important part of the change they want to see probably has something to do with how the parents are behaving.

The dollar amount paid to the company is rather meaningless without the information regarding how much services they've rendered and what kind of results they've been getting. Probably no one would want Justina's case handled by people with no previous experience handling difficult cases so I think that if they've been paid for services before it's better than if not.

I note that on at least one of the support pages for Justina, people are calling for CT to send their national guard into Massachusetts to "free" her. In all seriousness. :facepalm:

Just what Justina needs, a civil war...

Poor Justina, her entire teen life is going to be doctor after doctor, and social worker after social worker. If she comes through all this without a psychologicial problem it will be a miracle. If she has somatoform disorder she can't just force herself to improve anymore than she could with mito.

I would think what they look for in a condition like somatoform would be gradual acceptance of the diagnosis (along with any others she might have), acceptance and some kind of compliance with therapy, treatments (can be difficult with teens, I have seen teen patients do a sort of passive rebellion by not taking meds, not monitoring their condition, etc), etc. it does not mean they expect her to "snap out of it" fully before she goes home. I think the professionals know that the condition is not one that will disappear altogether by sheer force of will - they will know the physical and psychological milestones/goals that she should be meeting that signal improvement.

I would think what they look for in a condition like somatoform would be gradual acceptance of the diagnosis (along with any others she might have), acceptance and some kind of compliance with therapy, treatments (can be difficult with teens, I have seen teen patients do a sort of passive rebellion by not taking meds, not monitoring their condition, etc), etc. it does not mean they expect her to "snap out of it" fully before she goes home. I think the professionals know that the condition is not one that will disappear altogether by sheer force of will - they will know the physical and psychological milestones/goals that she should be meeting that signal improvement.

Tufts hasn't diagnosed her with somatoform. Tufts diagnosed her with mitochondrial disease. Now DCF insists she has to be treated at Tufts. How would even be possible for her to "accept the diagnosis of somatoform?"

Tufts hasn't diagnosed her with somatoform. Tufts diagnosed her with mitochondrial disease. Now DCF insists she has to be treated at Tufts. How would even be possible for her to "accept the diagnosis of somatoform?"

Perhaps she has mito and somatoform?

I noticed that in the linked article that Justina will need to show progress at the new therapeutic center before reunification. What if she can't show progress.

Also, reunification plan demands that family follows Tufts treatment plan. Which family can not do, as they are not being told what this treatment plan is. They are not informed of any tests results done by Tufts.
They are not the ones taking Justina to appointments or making any decisions on how to proceed.
DCF is.
So for reunification plan to have the requirement that family has to follow Tufts treatment plan is pretty bizarre.
DCF should be the one required to follow Tufts treatment plan.

They expect her parents to play a supportive role and embrace the diagnosis and the team.

They do not want her parents sabotaging treatment by making false allegations, calling any member of the team derogatory names, threatening or otherwise harass the treatment care providers. And yes, that includes in the media.

They expect the parents to fully comply with the conditions of the plan so Justina can be reunified with her parents, in the home, and without supervision.

They want the medical team that's been put together to oversee her medical care and the parents to accept that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps she has mito and somatoform?

Somatoform, by definition, are physical symptoms without physical reasons.
Mitochondrial disease would explain her symptoms, ruling out somatoform.

Tufts haven't diagnosed her with anything, doctors at Tufts did.

Not being privy to her medical charts we don't really have a clue which doctors she's been seeing at Tufts recently and what they're saying about her diagnoses and treatment options now. IMO.

They expect her parents to play a supportive role and embrace the diagnosis and the team.

They do not want her parents sabotaging treatment by making false allegations, calling any member of the team derogatory names, threatening or otherwise harass the treatment care providers. And yes, that includes in the media.

They expect the parents to fully comply with the conditions of the plan so Justina can be reunified with her parents, in the home, and without supervision.

They want the medical team that's been put together to oversee her medical care and the parents to accept that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parents claim they are not being told about treatments, tests, etc. They are not being informed on what is going on with her. So how can they embrace it?

Also, reunification plan demands that family follows Tufts treatment plan. Which family can not do, as they are not being told what this treatment plan is. They are not informed of any tests results done by Tufts.
They are not the ones taking Justina to appointments or making any decisions on how to proceed.
DCF is.
So for reunification plan to have the requirement that family has to follow Tufts treatment plan is pretty bizarre.
DCF should be the one required to follow Tufts treatment plan.

It does not appear to be true that the family doesn't know anything as Staver was just saying the family had been told something about the planned frequency of the visits and Lou protested a while ago that she had been taken off some of the medications he thought necessary, iirc for a heart condition.

Tufts haven't diagnosed her with anything, doctors at Tufts did.

Not being privy to her medical charts we don't really have a clue which doctors she's been seeing at Tufts recently and what they're saying about her diagnoses and treatment options now. IMO.

Dr. Korson is the one who she is seeing. He diagnosed her with mitochondrial disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChriNBelusk0