Family Needs our Help

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.nwcn.com/news?fId=234853651&fPath=/news/local&fDomain=10227

"We understand what we're up against. We understand what the odds are and we're really hoping and praying for a miracle," said Norton. "We have so much support out there through social media and other venues and through news broadcasts. This has gone out to thousands, and tens of thousands and hundreds of thousands people and they're pouring their prayers and their love and everything for the family and the family members."

They are hoping people will help them search on foot, and hoping for a miracle.

Smith said the families have been very appreciate of everybody in Cascade and Valley County and said they've gotten lots of offers for help and support from the community.

All aircrafts that were being used in the search had to be grounded because of weather, but the family is prepared to go out on foot for some additional searching."

Any one know how to remove a tag? i accidentally clicked on something while logging in:[ TIA! Wish i lived closer, Id go help.

Any one know how to remove a tag? i accidentally clicked on something while logging in:[ TIA! Wish i lived closer, Id go help.

Did the same, clicked on the red x that appeared and it seemed to remove tag.

Could we get info on what type of plane this is? Would help get a sense of size and what the wings look like.

Has anyone figured out this search site? I found something & tagged it as a possible plane. I see that 11 people agree. Is there a way to find the coordinates to view my spot on another map of Idaho? I have no idea where I am except a wilderness area.

I don't have an answer to your question, but I do wonder, are we all searching the same area, or are different people searching different areas?

[video=youtube;PkOFy_p2HzE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkOFy_p2HzE[/video]

Sky sent me this information to post. Brad wrote up an explanation for how to utilize the search site.

Also, the aircraft was a single engine Beachcraft. The call numbers are 39. In my searching I clearly found a "6," which I am sure was the 9 inverted.

Thank you everyone.

Please join our search by looking at satellite images. This is the link:http://bit.ly/1gKJbjU. If you have any issues with it please let me know. The purpose behind this is to get as many people looking at the satellite images as possible. Logging in allows you to know where you have searched before and gives the search and rescue the ability to know who tagged a location. We have been instructed to look at the images for anything that may look out of place. Give each image a quick glance to see if anything jumps out and then look over the entire image a little more carefully. They did caution against spending too much time analyzing an image as that tends to lead to someone "seeing" something that isn't really there. When people tag locations where they believe something is out of place, that information goes to the local search and rescue team who will then review the various tags to see if they agree with the tag (the more people that have reviewed an image and tagged a similar location will be looked at first). They will then send teams to look at those tagged locations where search and rescue agree that the plane and passengers may be located. More search areas will become available to the south of the current area shortly.

Here is a link a friend of mine put together to give an idea of scale and what we are looking for:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=476633675788744&set=p.476633675788744&type=1

I can't seem to quote for some reason.

@MichaelJames thank you for the additional information. Using google to try and better understand what I was looking for I came across this forum/mountain climbing site where them members had used tomnod to locate missing friends. Maybe you could enlist their help as well? A couple people on there seem to be really good at analysing the satellite images.

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=1887836&tn=100

best of luck :(

on a weird side note....I personally know people who work as analysts and engineers on one of the satellites that obtains these images and I personally watched it launch years go. I had not heard of tomnod and its use until now though.

what an interesting concept....

Sky sent me this information to post. Brad wrote up an explanation for how to utilize the search site.

Also, the aircraft was a single engine Beachcraft. The call numbers are 39. In my searching I clearly found a "6," which I am sure was the 9 inverted.

Thank you everyone.

Please join our search by looking at satellite images. This is the link:http://bit.ly/1gKJbjU. If you have any issues with it please let me know. The purpose behind this is to get as many people looking at the satellite images as possible. Logging in allows you to know where you have searched before and gives the search and rescue the ability to know who tagged a location. We have been instructed to look at the images for anything that may look out of place. Give each image a quick glance to see if anything jumps out and then look over the entire image a little more carefully. They did caution against spending too much time analyzing an image as that tends to lead to someone "seeing" something that isn't really there. When people tag locations where they believe something is out of place, that information goes to the local search and rescue team who will then review the various tags to see if they agree with the tag (the more people that have reviewed an image and tagged a similar location will be looked at first). They will then send teams to look at those tagged locations where search and rescue agree that the plane and passengers may be located. More search areas will become available to the south of the current area shortly.

Here is a link a friend of mine put together to give an idea of scale and what we are looking for:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=476633675788744&set=p.476633675788744&type=1
I thought I saw that "9" (6) with an "A" first then the "9" and then an "L" It jumped out at me immediately but I thought surely it was a trick of light and shadows. I saw what appeared to be other numbers and letters around it and I did tag it.

I wish I had taken a screen shot of that tile image because when the page froze and restarted all my viewed tiles were gone so I started again.

ETA I found my tagged images on the overview on right side.

Search resumes..

http://www.idahopress.com/news/loca...cle_1e389e0e-5d83-11e3-9a66-001a4bcf887a.html

"Since the plane vanished, temperatures have dipped overnight to around zero degrees, while winds and snow showers have further slowed the search in dense stands of trees that could hide wreckage.

“It’s heavily forested, which makes it more difficult to spot things, either from the ground or the air,” Feeley said.

The search includes five Civil Air Patrol planes and two helicopters from the Idaho National Guard. On the ground, a volunteer crew from Boise-based Idaho Mountain Search and Rescue planned to access the area with snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles and on foot".

I've looked at about 400 of these tiles so far, but I know my eyes are getting too tired now to be much more use. It does get easier the more you go along as you get a better sense of what does/doesn't look out of place. At first I didn't know how to turn the tag thing back off so it kept tagging things and no, once you hit the red x it did not get rid of the tags, just made them not visible. So I tagged 17 things when I meant to tag about 10 in 400 tiles. Of the things I did tag I had a total of 51 "likes" or "agrees," so I'm guessing at least some of you were looking in the same area as I was. I didn't see a 6 or 9 or any letters at all. I have no sense of how big the area I was searching is compared to how big of an area overall needs to be searched, but I hope I was some help.

Off topic: As I am typing this an Amber Alert is coming over my phone via text. No victim name or age or description only that the alert is from Pittsburgh PA and they are seeking a car with West Virginia Plate: 4V2232. It is a 2000 silver blue Toyota Avalon. Heads up all you late nighters in Appalachia.

Praying, praying, praying for all of the missing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18
Back