Fatal Friends, Deadly Neighbors: Ann Rule's Crime Files

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good point, deca. I would think most people have their computers password protected and would share the password with a partner or a trusted family member in the event something were to happen to them. I certainly do. In RZ's case I would think JS would have known...

Do you think Jonah was at the Spreckels mansion that night and deleted his own VM from Becky's phone? Why do you think Jonah would delete the message that allegedly cause Becky to impulsively kill herself? Wouldn't he want the message to remain on her phone to provide the suicide motive?

Do you think Jonah was at the Spreckels mansion that night and deleted his own VM from Becky's phone? Why do you think Jonah would delete the message that allegedly cause Becky to impulsively kill herself? Wouldn't he want the message to remain on her phone to provide the suicide motive?

We have no idea what that message really said or even if Becky herself actually heard. All we know is someone didn't want anyone else to hear or felt the voice mail had no value and wan't sorth saving and deleted it. It would be helpful to know what her phone habits were. I myself delete messages right after listening unless there is info on it I need to keep for a bit before I can write it down.

We have no idea what that message really said or even if Becky herself actually heard. All we know is someone didn't want anyone else to hear or felt the voice mail had no value and wan't sorth saving and deleted it. It would be helpful to know what her phone habits were. I myself delete messages right after listening unless there is info on it I need to keep for a bit before I can write it down.

Good call. But if Jonah's VM to Becky was innocuous, why would he or someone other than Becky bother retrieving it and deleting it?

The only thing I can think of why someone would delete it is if a) that someone was Becky and that's her normal habit of VM deletion; or b) that someone was Becky's murderer and wanted to hide the VM's content; or c) that someone was Becky's murderer and was just plain going crazy with jealousy and hate against whoever made the VM and Becky.

It would have been helpful for LE to retrieve the VM before its formal deletion from Verizon database. How convenient for LE not to retrieve it. IDK if it's conspiracy but LE sure dropped the ball on this case a lot.

time, ITA. What in the world could they need her cell phone for (and I think they still have her computer--Lash?)

SDSO still has Becky's phone, camera and computer in their custody. According to attorney Marty Rudoy.

Posted: Jul 14, 2012 1:16 AM EDT

Rudoy told News 8 that the San Diego County Sheriff still has not returned some of Zahau's personal belongs to the family, like her camera, computer or cell phone. He said the Sheriff did make the cell phone available for an independent forensic inspection by an expert hired by the family. That forensic report still is not complete, Rudoy said.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/19024331/coronado

Ann Rule writes, Becky's cellphone showed a call in at 11:48pm. Ann does not say Becky's cellphone record/bill. We also have seen Rebecca's cellphone bill and it does NOT show an 11:48pm call. Would it be fair to say this detail came from Rebecca's actual phone? Semantics...maybe or maybe not?

Becky's cellphone carrier was AT&T. Search warrants 11/164-165 requested Verizon and AT&T cellphone records. We know the detective was attempting to backup Dina and Jonah's statements using these records. The Verizon phone most likely belonged to Dina.

Becky’s cell phone showed that a call had come in at 11:48 P.M., and that was probably Jonah’s last call to her. If there had been a text or voice mail message from him, it was no longer there. It could have been accidentally—or deliberately—erased.

Excerpt From: Rule, Ann. “Fatal Friends, Deadly Neighbors.”

time, ITA. What in the world could they need her cell phone for (and I think they still have her computer--Lash?)

Their own agency declared it a suicide, after a push from her family and their attorney, they gave over "all the records" and then threatened said attorney that they would release the records if they didn't toe the line. What the heck is that about. SDSO deemed RZ's death a suicide. Therefore, case closed. There should be no reason that any record, evidence, notes, whatever should not have been released back to the family. Especially personal effects like the phone and the computer. I wonder, would the phone even work and show the history after all this time? If SDSO grew a conscious and returned Becky's property to her family would they even find it in the same state it was in? I wonder if they've had any floods or fires in their evidence storage. Maybe some bad air conditioning? This is another huge problem. Another small piece of this messy puzzle that makes no sense. Why in the world would they hold these two items? Is it possible that RZ didn't own these items and that they were returned to JS? I don't know how that works, it's not as if she was his employee and she was returning her work items to her former job. I don't know, really, how that works. When my ex and I separated, the phone bill was in my name, he kept his phone, I kept mine, I paid the contract until it was over and then had his line disconnected. I never saw the phone again. Who actually owns it?

Good thoughts. I don't know what to say about the phone (and possibly computer) not being returned to the Zahau's. It makes no sense to me unless there is something SDSO does not want to admit or want them to know. It could be possible it was on Jonah's contract, but I don't see any reason AB/Zahau's wouldn't have been told he got it/was getting it back?

This does bring me back to the question - have ALL evidence and files on the case actually been given to Ann Bremner?

I have to wonder if there were fingerprints on the phone (or never taken), if they messed the phone up somehow, or there is some reason that delaying return would destroy evidence. Or it was so carelessly treated after claiming the message was key motive, that it would be an embarrassment/effect the case. I'm having a difficult time thinking they would play games with it THIS long. Can't you sue or bring legal action to get personal belongings back when a case is closed?

SDSO still has Becky's phone, camera and computer in their custody. According to attorney Marty Rudoy.

I don't understand what legal right SDSO has in keeping these since the case is closed? Anyone know?

Hi bourne - no I don't think JS would delete the message from her phone. Nor do I think RZ would. My suspicions match yours as per your recent comment above. Actually I was only referring to her computer and if password protected, who could/would have had access to the password to allegedly view *advertiser censored* sites that night as reported.

As to JS physically being present at Spreckels that night, I'm on the fence, leaning heavily towards no. The less he knew of the facts (thus distancing), the better in the event of any future questioning. Was he aware from afar of what was transpiring, IMO a resounding yes. But just my opinion... could be totally out to lunch on that.

Has anyone considered that Jonah did leave a VM, but that it was much earlier in the evening? I don't buy the "Max has taken a turn for the worse" story at 12:50 am............too convenient for their "she hung herself" theory.........IMO.

Good thoughts. I don't know what to say about the phone (and possibly computer) not being returned to the Zahau's. It makes no sense to me unless there is something SDSO does not want to admit or want them to know. It could be possible it was on Jonah's contract, but I don't see any reason AB/Zahau's wouldn't have been told he got it/was getting it back?

This does bring me back to the question - have ALL evidence and files on the case actually been given to Ann Bremner?

I have to wonder if there were fingerprints on the phone (or never taken), if they messed the phone up somehow, or there is some reason that delaying return would destroy evidence. Or it was so carelessly treated after claiming the message was key motive, that it would be an embarrassment/effect the case. I'm having a difficult time thinking they would play games with it THIS long. Can't you sue or bring legal action to get personal belongings back when a case is closed?

BBM What do you mean by Jonah's contract?

IDK why LE is keeping Becky's phone and computer and whatever else related to the case since it's officially declared "closed". But I would think Anne Bremner could file a legal motion to have LE hand these items over.

Has anyone considered that Jonah did leave a VM, but that it was much earlier in the evening? I don't buy the "Max has taken a turn for the worse" story at 12:50 am............too convenient for their "she hung herself" theory.........IMO.

I did consider that too. I'm going by his previous night phone call patterns based on Becky's phone though. As I recall, on Mon, Jonah called/texted her about midnite and also around 2am? (Someone check please). So I assume he touched base with Becky again on Tues about midnight, and 11:38pm would sound about right. But this is just my assumption.

Ann Rule writes, Becky's cellphone showed a call in at 11:48pm. Ann does not say Becky's cellphone record/bill. We also have seen Rebecca's cellphone bill and it does NOT show an 11:48pm call. Would it be fair to say this detail came from Rebecca's actual phone? Semantics...maybe or maybe not?

Becky's cellphone carrier was AT&T. Search warrants 11/164-165 requested Verizon and AT&T cellphone records. We know the detective was attempting to backup Dina and Jonah's statements using these records. The Verizon phone most likely belonged to Dina.

Lash, you're really good at getting the exact citations. Thank you!

You may be onto something about Ann Rule having seen Becky's cellphone itself. That would have been most excellent if AR stated that in her book as witnessing actual evidence to Jonah's phone call.

When we have "missed calls", does it show on a dead cellphone upon powering up at the time the caller left the call/message? I have to check my phone now. I appreciate your catching all these nuances.

Hi bourne - no I don't think JS would delete the message from her phone. Nor do I think RZ would. My suspicions match yours as per your recent comment above. Actually I was only referring to her computer and if password protected, who could/would have had access to the password to allegedly view *advertiser censored* sites that night as reported.

As to JS physically being present at Spreckels that night, I'm on the fence, leaning heavily towards no. The less he knew of the facts (thus distancing), the better in the event of any future questioning. Was he aware from afar of what was transpiring, IMO a resounding yes. But just my opinion... could be totally out to lunch on that.

I am wondering the same as you. How would Becky's murderer(s) have access to her cellphone VM retrieval password?

Could it be that Becky used the same password for unlocking her cellphone as she does to retrieve her VM? Personally I do use the same password for both since I don't like to have to remember too many passwords for same device.

By Nina's own statements on record in her audio interview, she said that Becky gave her Becky's cellphone in the car from the airport as they were driving to the hospital in order for Nina to navigate on GPS by Becky's cellphone. Could Becky have given Nina her cellphone password then, and lo and behold, it's the same password Becky submitted for VM retrieval? And the murderer(s) just got lucky with the identical password when they powered up Becky's cellphone at 12:50AM Wed?

BBM What do you mean by Jonah's contract?

IDK why LE is keeping Becky's phone and computer and whatever else related to the case since it's officially declared "closed". But I would think Anne Bremner could file a legal motion to have LE hand these items over.

I meant his phone contract... that maybe Rebecca was on it just with a different number, but that hasn't generally been my impression. Her phone bills say someone else was on there also, but I assumed a second phone she let someone else use like XZ

I meant his phone contract... that maybe Rebecca was on it just with a different number, but that hasn't generally been my impression. Her phone bills say someone else was on there also, but I assumed a second phone she let someone else use like XZ

The other persons on the account with Rebecca were her younger brother and sister.

The other persons on the account with Rebecca were her younger brother and sister.

Thanks!

That probably means Jonah didn't have the contract/own the phone so it's not why the Zahau's didn't get it back too. Someone had asked earlier.

In the book, did AR write anything about the oddly placed small rug on the landing of the grand staircase? TIA

In the book, did AR write anything about the oddly placed small rug on the landing of the grand staircase? TIA

Not that I recall. In fact, that may have been something from the pictures of the San Diego Designer Showcase in 1982, when the house was redecorated:

His widow Ellie, who remarried in 1947, remodeled the home that year. By 1975, after several years of being vacant, the house was sold for $275,000 to Dave Gillingham, now a Palm Desert resident, who made numerous improvements and upgrades before selling it in 1979. The house was the site of the 1982 Designer Showcase house for the San Diego Historical Society and local chapter of the American Society of Interior Designers. Four years later, George Wiley, now a retired investment counselor, bought the home for $1.3 million, records show. He has made no major changes, according to Thomas P. Sacco, the San Francisco-based agent representing Wiley on the sale

Here's the SDSHERIFF.NET stamped photo of the small rug on the landing to which I was referring. I believe this was taken by LE after the two incidences at the mansion. It's just a very odd and potentially hazardous place for a small rug.

ms03a.jpg

Large image located here:
http://www.sdsheriff.net/coronado/images/ms03.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads