Father arrested for disorderly conduct at School Board meeting

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
not to even mention that movies with sexually graphic content get R ratings, while horribly violent movies filled with guns and blood and gore and people treating others badly (to say it mildly) get by with PG or PG14 ratings. Would this father have had an issue with his child reading Lord of the Flies, for example? Why is sex "bad" but violence glorified? No need to reply - I am just venting here too. And I concur wholeheartedly and then some that this is hardly "literature".

Yes, everyone is perfectly okay with violence, but sex sends everyone into a tizzy. :confused:

I agree, it's not great literature. It IS a good read, however. And with so many things vying for kids attention these days, I think it's fine to start with stuff that is merely a "good read" as opposed to great lit, kwim?

Edit to add - its also a VERY topical subject for teens. School shooting, rape, etc. important issues.

It has nothing to do with your child (14) being a sexual being. It has everything to do with allowing an authority figure complete control over what your child is subjected to. You will sit down, shut up and do as they say... or you will be forcibly sat sown, shut up and do what they say.

Unbelievable to me.

I'm not sure why the concept that public schools do have such authority is unbelievable to you considering it is the way public schools in America have always worked. If the rules don't suit a parent they can choose another form of educating their child. The theme of the book in question was about school violence. If a portion of it was objectionable, the parent could discuss it with their child or the teacher or both.

By the 1990s, and into the 2000s, the loco parentis doctrine seemed to be in full force as schools attempted to safeguard students.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/In+loco+parentis

My child would trust me enough to come to me about some creepy adult guy contacting her on the internet. I would talk to mine constantly and encourage open lines of communication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who said he was creepy? Your words, not mine. Could be some 24 yr. old good looking guy with a preference for under aged girls.

To me, this whole topic is about parents having a say in what their children are exposed to and whether or not the material is age appropriate. The father found the material objectionable, and I agree, the rough sex passage was age inappropriate.

It wasn't enough to address the issue with the teacher as other kids may had been and continued to be assigned the same book to read.

If the book deserves to be on a school reading list, it is more appropriate for high school students, imho.

It's sadly so typical and dispiriting that the tea-parent and others are most concerned with the sexual content of this book, which is relatively minor in comparison to the overall story, and yet the horror of violence visited on this fictional town and the exploration of motive and consequences is ignored. It's a story that while juvenile to many an adult's perspective, likely provokes thoughtful, analytical conversation in a classroom of students this age. I'm sure wonder dad hadn't read the book in it's entirety and saw an opportunity to foment faux outrage. And you just know, kids that weren't enthused about reading this book before, SURE are interested now! LOL! He did the teacher a big, fat favor.

My child would trust me enough to come to me about some creepy adult guy contacting her on the internet. I would talk to mine constantly and encourage open lines of communication.

You'd think so, but when my dd was 13 she was talking to a "kid" online. Turned out he was not a kid. He was a grown arse creep. I called the police.

The problem is just because your kids think they are talking to someone does not mean they are the person they are portraying themselves to be.

Who said he was creepy? Your words, not mine. Could be some 24 yr. old good looking guy with a preference for under aged girls.

That's very weird that you would hinge creepiness on someone's looks. :waitasec: I don't care if he's hot as hell, ANY adult involved in that hypothetical situation is a creep.

You'd think so, but when my dd was 13 she was talking to a "kid" online. Turned out he was not a kid. He was a grown arse creep. I called the police.

The problem is just because your kids think they are talking to someone does not mean they are the person they are portraying themselves to be.

It is impossible to protect your child from everything, unless you suffocate them.

But this is a red herring anyway. What's under discussion was whether 14 year olds are going to come across the topic of sex on the internet or elsewhere, not whether or not they'll get creeped on by an adult.

That's very weird that you would hinge creepiness on someone's looks. :waitasec: I don't care if he's hot as hell, ANY adult involved in that hypothetical situation is a creep.

I wholeheartedly agree that one does not have to look like a creep in order to be a creep. If only life were that easy to navigate through.

It is impossible to protect your child from everything, unless you suffocate them.

But this is a red herring anyway. What's under discussion was whether 14 year olds are going to come across the topic of sex on the internet or elsewhere, not whether or not they'll get creeped on by an adult.

Actually the topic is about a father who is defending his right to be informed about what his child is reading.. :0

Actually the topic is about a father who is defending his right to be informed about what his child is reading.. :0

Broadly. But there was an offshoot about whether the passage in question was anything a 14 year kid wouldn't already have picked up knowledge about anyway.

Broadly. But there was an offshoot about whether the passage in question was anything a 14 year kid wouldn't already have picked up knowledge about anyway.

Considering Daddy was insisting the passage be read allowed at the school board meeting, for all ages to hear, it's kinda disingenuous of him to object to it after he got arrested for disrupting the meeting.

JMO

Interesting... on one hand, shouldn't every parent be more supportive of public schools, and not causing trouble ? The public schools have a hard enough job as it is ; but they do that job well.
On the other hand, I'm not sure Mr. Baer isn't entitled to his own opinion...isn't there an alternate book his daughter could read ? He didn't seem out-of-control or dangerous---to me.
moo

BBM. Tell that to my sister, a teacher in the public school system.

Wow..

No, you don't walk lockstep and not voice your concerns over YOUR child's education. Parents SHOULD be involved.

Parents should not be force fed 'rules' for their own children and voicing concern is not 'causing trouble'.

ARRESTED! This man was ARRESTED! Never raised his voice or said anything threatening. Concerned about his child reading sexually explicit material.

ARRESTED!
RSBM

I did think the arrest was a bit much. There are countless youtube vids of people out of control, but Mr. Baer was not one of them.
From my post: #5
Possibly my earlier assessment of Mr Baer was something of a kneejerk reaction.
My best friend's sister is a 7 & 8th grade public school science teacher , I see her now and then (she lives out of state), and she gets appalled at some of the parent's who have their kids enrolled.... the things they have objected to being taught.
She teaches from an evolution viewpoint, that we are all meaningless atoms who have evolved from the "Big Bang" -- and when we die, we'll simply return to nothingness. The problem came when she allowed for discussion of other ideas and different religious viewpoints. Every religion and culture has a theory about where we came from.
Certain parents , one couple in particular, raised heck because one religious theory was brought up and discussed.
Jeeze Louise, it was one talk for part of one class period.

So anyway, I get to hear from a teacher's view what she thinks about some parents.

As far as Mr. Baer, like I said, that arrest was over the top and not necessary; imo. Would have made less fuss if they'd just let him have his say.

This whole thing was pretty much orchestrated and planned ahead of time, imo.

William Baer is a Tea Party activist who is/was active in the Morristown (New Jersey) Tea Party. He is has very close associations with wnd and like them is a birther.
from i.b.nora
RSBM

That puts things in a more interesting perspective.....
Not sure what to think about Tea Partiers.
:moo:

BBM. Tell that to my sister, a teacher in the public school system.
RSBM

It would be somewhat interesting if you could expound on that statement. (?)

Probably every school has had one not-so-great teacher. Probably not too often...who would take a job they didn't like or were unqualified for ?

RSBM

I did think the arrest was a bit much. There are countless youtube vids of people out of control, but Mr. Baer was not one of them.

My best friend's sister is a 7 & 8th grade public school science teacher , I see her now and then (she lives out of state), and she gets appalled at some of the parent's who have their kids enrolled.... the things they have objected to being taught.

She teaches from an evolution viewpoint, that we are all meaningless atoms who have evolved from the "Big Bang" -- and when we die, we'll simply return to nothingness. The problem came when she allowed for discussion of other ideas and different religious viewpoints. Every religion and culture has a theory about where we came from.

Certain parents , one couple in particular, raised heck because one religious theory was brought up and discussed.

So anyway, I get to hear from a teacher's view what she thinks about some parents.

As far as Mr. Baer, like I said, that arrest was over the top and not necessary; imo. Would have made less fuss if they'd just let him have his say.

William Baer is a Tea Party activist who is/was active in the Morristown (New Jersey) Tea Party. He is has very close associations with wnd and like them is a birther.
from i.b.nora

RSBM

I would have been annoyed with the science teacher too. It's called science for a reason. Science class is science class.
It's not theology class.
I wouldn't have been annoyed enough to actually say or do anything about it...just whine to a friend or complain here. lol

RSBM

from i.b.nora

RSBM

IMO they need a shot or two of rum in that tea...help relax...maybe the stick could work it's way out.;)

That's the problem with slippery slopes, you never know where one is gonna turn up!

Hell, it's been ten years here in Mass that we've had gay marriage, and I STILL haven't come across the slippery slope to polygamy and child brides that we were warned about!! :help: :scared:

Lmao!!!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member