Fire Update Information

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Witch (San Diego County): 197,990 acres at 90 percent contained. This fire is one mile east of Ramona.The Witch Fire has joined the Poomacha fire in the north. Residents are being allowed re-entry into to area.
Information: Call (619) 590-3160 or visit the web site.

Harris (San Diego County): 90,750 acres at 70 percent contained. This fire is two miles southeast of Potrero. All evacuations have been lifted. Only residents have been allowed to re-enter the area.
Information: Call (619) 449-1462 or visit the web site.

Santiago (Orange County): 28,012 acres at 65 percent contained. This fire is 12 miles east of Santa Ana.The fire remains active in areas west of the Orange/Riverside County line but has not crossed the county line. Structure protection is in place for all evacuated communities and at the Modjeska and Santiago Peak communications sites. Mandatory evacuations are in place for the canyon areas off Santiago Canyon Road between Silverado Canyon Road and Live Oak Canyon Road, including the Santiago Estates area and Jackson Ranch Road. Areas along Live Oak Canyon Road through the Trabuco Canyon area, including O'Neill Regional Park, to Trabuco Creek Road are also included in this mandatory evacuation.
Information: Call (714) 573-6200 or visit the web site.

Poomacha (Monte Vista Unit, Cal Fire): 49,350 acres at 50 percent contained. This fire is seven miles east of Pauma Valley. Evacuations are still in place for the communities of Valley Center, Rincon, Pauma Valley, Pala Reservation, and Palomar. Residential areas where the overall threat has lessened are being allowed re-enty.
Information: Call (760) 751-7600 or visit the web site.

Grass Valley (San Bernardino National Forest): 1,247 acres at 95 percent contained. This fire is north of Lake Arrowhead. Mandatory evacuation remain in effect from Heaps Peak to Snow Valley. Mandatory evacuations for most Arrowhead communites have been changed to voluntary. Voluntary evacuations continue for Crestline, Cedar Pines Park, Lake Gregory and Valley of Enchantment.
Information: Call (909) 383-5688 or visit the web site. For information on re-entry to the Arrowhead Lake area please read the news release.

Slide (San Bernardino National Forest): 12,789 acres at 85 percent contained. This fire is 10 miles north of San Bernardino. Mandatory evacuation remain in effect from Heaps Peak to Snow Valley. Mandatory evacuations for most Arrowhead communites have been changed to voluntary. Voluntary evacuations continue for Crestline, Cedar Pines Park, Lake Gregory and Valley of Enchantment.
Information: Call (909) 383-5688 or visit the web site. For information on re-entry to the Arrowhead Lake area please read the news release.

Ammo (Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base, Department of Defense): This fire was contained at 21,084 acres.
Information: Call (866) 430-2764 or visit the fire web site or www.pendleton.usmc.mil.

Rice (Los Angles County FD): This fire was contained at 9,000 acres.

Looks like it could rain today :dance: The air is clean right now and I don't see any fires from Santiago. I see rain clouds instead... :p I was concerned yesterday because it was hot out. I still saw some smoke.. even the helicopters and small planes were cruising the area. I don't see any of it today..

Well I noticed that our fire thread here is starting to BURN OUT!.. hehe :D Just had to add that in so I can bump this back to the top. Don't ask :hand:

Did the rain show up today. Norcal is getting some now

Clear and sunny here. No rain in sight. 3 of those big Pendleton choppers just went over my house and honestly I thought there was an explosion. Those things are so LOUD. But it's weird because the second they pass you cannot hear them anymore.

It was announced today on Denver radio that the haze we were experiencing was from the California fires. We noticed some out here in E. Colorado. We went a bit north today to get some pickup loads of hay. On our second trip back this afternoon, I noticed a huge plume of smoke that appeared to be at least 2 miles south of our ranch. I was going to call 911, but as I pulled in to our yard, two fire departments were racing down our country road. The wind was coming out of the south and I could begin to smell the smoke. Of course, I got the scanner to check where the fire may be. It turned out to be on the original home place of the BarnGod. A field was burning. They were harvesting corn and a piece of equipment had gotten hot and caught the dried corn on fire. We watched the skyline as we unloaded the hay. Fortunately they contained and put the fire out before it spread too far. It's been very dry here and it would be a disaster if it caught hold and got out of control. We're very rural and our nearest neighbor is two miles north. Lots of wide open fields and pastures full of grass. I can understand the panic with your fires. I was concerned knowing that it was only two miles south of us, especially with the wind possibly blowing the fire toward us.

They're still trying to put out the fire on Palomar Mountain, but it appears the rest of the ones in SD County are either fully contained or almost so. My kids go back to school tomorrow- none too soon. :D

Lets hope they get everything out,because I heard last night you guys might be getting Santa Ana's again this weekend?

It's cool and overcast right now. This morning my car had mist on it :p The fires in my area should be out by now. Praying for some heavy rain and light wind..

Witch (San Diego County): 197,990 acres at 95 percent contained. This fire is one mile east of Ramona. Minimal fire behavior was reported.

Harris (San Diego County): 90,440 acres at 85 percent contained. This fire is two miles southeast of Potrero. Minimal fire activity was reported.

Santiago (Orange County): 28,500 acres at 65 percent contained. This fire is 12 miles east of Santa Ana. The community of Silverado remains threatened and residents are evacuated.

Poomacha (Monte Vista Unit, Cal Fire): 49,540 acres at 70 percent contained. This fire is seven miles east of Pauma Valley. Numerous residences remain threatened.

Grass Valley (San Bernardino National Forest): The fire was contained at 1,247 acres.

Slide (San Bernardino National Forest): 12,759 acres at 92 percent contained. This fire is 10 miles north of San Bernardino. Communities remain threatened and voluntary evacuations are in effect.

I am hearing a boy may have started one of the SD fires om accident

Oh how sad, if true JBean, thanks for letting us know what you heard.
I heard it on the radio when I was pulling into my son's softball game. I'll look for more info.

LA fire started by boy with matches

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. - A boy playing with matches started a fire in north Los Angeles County that consumed more than 38,000 acres and destroyed 21 homes last week, authorities said Tuesday.

The boy, whose name and age were not released, was interviewed a day after the Buckweed Fire was sparked Oct. 21, said sheriff's Sgt. Diane Hecht. "He admitted to playing with matches and accidentally starting the fire," said Hecht said in a statement. The boy was released to his parents, and the case will be be presented to the district attorney's office, Hecht said.

The 60-square-mile fire began in an area near Agua Dulce and quickly spread by fierce desert winds. It was among more than a dozen major wildfires that killed 14 people and blackened 809 square miles from Los Angeles to the Mexican border.

Authorities arrested five people for arson during that period, but none have been linked to any of the major blazes.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071031/ap_on_re_us/california_wildfires

LA fire started by boy with matches

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. - A boy playing with matches started a fire in north Los Angeles County that consumed more than 38,000 acres and destroyed 21 homes last week, authorities said Tuesday.

The boy, whose name and age were not released, was interviewed a day after the Buckweed Fire was sparked Oct. 21, said sheriff's Sgt. Diane Hecht. "He admitted to playing with matches and accidentally starting the fire," said Hecht said in a statement. The boy was released to his parents, and the case will be be presented to the district attorney's office, Hecht said.

The 60-square-mile fire began in an area near Agua Dulce and quickly spread by fierce desert winds. It was among more than a dozen major wildfires that killed 14 people and blackened 809 square miles from Los Angeles to the Mexican border.

Authorities arrested five people for arson during that period, but none have been linked to any of the major blazes.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071031/ap_on_re_us/california_wildfires
yep that is the story thank you Buzz. Those poor people.

Now ,how is that going to be handled? Tough one.,IMO. I don't think you can criminally charge this kid,as I'm sure his intent wasn't to start a fire.I'm sure what has happened will effect him for the rest of his life.I would make him do some sort of community service ,I guess. It really depends on how old he is. I feel bad for everyone.

Witch (San Diego County): 197,990 acres at 99 percent contained. This fire is one mile east of Ramona. Minimal fire behavior continued. The fire is estimated to be contained today.

Harris (San Diego County): 90,440 acres at 95 percent contained. This fire is two miles southeast of Potrero. Minimal fire activity was reported. Firefighters expect to contain the fire today.

Santiago (Orange County): 28,445 acres at 80 percent contained. This fire is 12 miles east of Santa Ana. The community of Silverado remains threatened and residents have been evacuated.

Poomacha (Monte Vista Unit, Cal Fire): 49,540 acres at 70 percent contained. This fire is seven miles east of Pauma Valley. Numerous residences remain threatened.

Slide (San Bernardino National Forest): 12,759 acres at 97 percent contained. This fire is 10 miles north of San Bernardino. Communities remain threatened and voluntary evacuations are in effect.

http://www.nifc.gov/fire_info/nfn.htm

11 of 18 in burn unit undocumented

UCSD cases put focus on who pays for care

The fact that 11 of the 18 wildfire victims lying in UCSD Medical Center's burn unit are illegal immigrants with no apparent health coverage highlights the daunting financial challenge hospitals face in providing long-term, intensive care for all those who need it.

“These are the most expensive kinds of cases, but we don't look at these patients and say, oh, because they aren't legal residents, we'll stop providing care or stop changing their bandages,” said Dr. Thomas McAfee, UCSD's physician-in-chief. “It's part of our ethic to continue to provide this care no matter what.”

According to the Mexican Consulate in San Diego, the burn victims are from central and southern Mexico, and include one woman. Four are in critical condition. All were rescued north of Tecate last week, said consulate spokesman Alberto Lozano, and it is suspected they had crossed the border illegally before coming face to face with the Harris fire.

Four other people, two men and two women, were found dead Thursday in a ravine off state Route 94. Their badly burned bodies remain unidentified, although authorities suspect they crossed illegally before they died. Those in critical condition may include a married couple from Guerrero, according to the consulate. The others are a 20-year-old man from Guerrero and a man from Chiapas. With some facing a long rehabilitation, hospital officials said they realize many U.S. taxpayers don't believe UCSD should provide such expensive hospital care to illegal immigrants. But, by law, that care must be provided “to anyone who comes regardless of their ability to pay.”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20071031/news_1n31burn.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298
Back