Found Deceased FL - ‘Sharkwater’ filmmaker Rob Stewart, 37, Lower Matecumbe Key, 31 Jan 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Are there sharks in these waters? I guess so, right?

Update from @racingextinction and @teamsharkwater on Instagram:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

How scary! I remember following the case of the two boys who went missing off the Florida coast (last year?) Praying for a better outcome. Stay strong Rob, they're coming for you!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...maker-robert-stewart-is-still-alive-1.3964055
[h=1]Survivorman Les Stroud 'living on hope' missing filmmaker Robert Stewart is still alive[/h]
"You're breathing moment to moment," said Stroud, who's been following the search from his home in Huntsville.

"Your heart is living on hope. Your mind is battling facts. And you're trying to process it all, and make sense of those two worlds."
Stroud, who's an expert diver himself, says the odds of Stewart's survival, if he was swept away by a strong breeze or current, are good as long as his life jacket is inflated.
"Will he be cold? Yes. Will he be hypothermic? Yes. But will he expire because of those reasons? Highly unlikely," Stroud said.
"The hope is his life jacket, or [buoyancy control device] is inflated, and he's simply out of sight."

More nighttime resources needed for crews searching for missing Toronto diver

Night crews who are searching for missing Toronto filmmaker Rob Stewart in the waters off the coast of the Florida Keys desperately need more resources, a close friend of his said Thursday.

Tyler MacLeod, a close friend of Stewart who is spearheading a fundraising campaign for search efforts, told CP24 Thursday night that they are struggling to find people and equipment that can help search in the dark.

http://www.cp24.com/news/more-night...searching-for-missing-toronto-diver-1.3267730

[video=twitter;827365075963015168]https://twitter.com/CBSMiami/status/827365075963015168[/video]

So my first question is was there one dive boat or two? The article states that the two diver's surfaced at 5:15, the other diver climbed into "their" diving boat, and passed out. It then goes on to say that then diving boat crew "went to retrieve" Stewart he was no where to be found. So if they came of the water at the same time, how far could anyone have drifted to no longer be visible? Unless Stewart decided he wanted to stay in the water, but it doesn't say that anywhere.

I don't intend to hurt any feelings by pointing out discrepancies I've noticed because I'm sure Stewart has many friends amongst the people he works with. Yet, it's kind of hard to ignore details that don't even make common sense, much less make sense for safety and all the other precautions a person should take when on a boat, in the water, or on any type of watercraft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My spouse is a diver. Not to the level that these guys are but, the article had said that this was the third dive of the day. The wreck, iirc, was 225' deep. That is a lot of diving in one day, even for experienced divers, in my spouse's experience. Also, spouse mentioned that in a dive that deep, (which it's been awhile since had an opportunity to dive) that there's a different mixture in the tanks, and it might be possible that the mixture was not right. Especially since it seemed to affect two people. One other thing that s/o mentioned was why didn't the vest inflate. This all may be old technology. As I said, I snorkel but s/o enjoys diving, and it's been a few years so forgive me if I'm out of the loop.

My spouse is a diver. Not to the level that these guys are but, the article had said that this was the third dive of the day. The wreck, iirc, was 225' deep. That is a lot of diving in one day, even for experienced divers, in my spouse's experience. Also, spouse mentioned that in a dive that deep, (which it's been awhile since had an opportunity to dive) that there's a different mixture in the tanks, and it might be possible that the mixture was not right. Especially since it seemed to affect two people. One other thing that s/o mentioned was why didn't the vest inflate. This all may be old technology. As I said, I snorkel but s/o enjoys diving, and it's been a few years so forgive me if I'm out of the loop.

Thank you - my brother is a diver, but it's something I've never done. However, when I was younger and living a different life (a much more daring life), I cliff dived, a lot. I know it's not the same as diving 225 feet, but jumping from 40 to 50 feet above the water can wear a body down. So from that standpoint I understand how hard being under water can be on the body, lungs, and brain.

What I can't understand, and didn't do a very good job of conveying, is why didn't anyone keep an eye on one diver while the rest of the crew got the other diver out of the water. I've spent a lot of time in and on water throughout my life and there's always been a standing rule that all people in the water need to be accounted for, with the exception of docking to let everyone swim for a little while.

I hope that makes more sense.

Thank you - my brother is a diver, but it's something I've never done. However, when I was younger and living a different life (a much more daring life), I cliff dived, a lot. I know it's not the same as diving 225 feet, but jumping from 40 to 50 feet above the water can wear a body down. So from that standpoint I understand how hard being under water can be on the body, lungs, and brain.

What I can't understand, and didn't do a very good job of conveying, is why didn't anyone keep an eye on one diver while the rest of the crew got the other diver out of the water. I've spent a lot of time in and on water throughout my life and there's always been a standing rule that all people in the water need to be accounted for, with the exception of docking to let everyone swim for a little while.

I hope that makes more sense.

I can only assume they took their eyes off Rob because when he surfaced, he apparently gave the crew the "ok" sign to signal he was fine. Meanwhile, his co-diver fell into unconsciousness so, naturally, he would be the focus. The other thing to bear in mind is that the crew were testing a new rebreather system (wherein the carbon dioxide is absorbed and the unused oxygen is recycled). After three 70 metre dives, who knows how well the new rebreather was truly working. He could have been starved of appropriate levels of oxygen for some time (just speculation there). If he indeed fell unconscious, I don't know how his emergency vest would inflate, unless it has some kind of sensor to self-trigger.. they seem to be holding out hope that he floated away. Closing in on the magical 72-hour mark and hoping hard for good news...

Latest from @teamsharkwater on Instagram:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Shouldn't they have some sense at this point of why the other diver passed out? Pretty much all signs point to this being an equipment failure especially given that they were testing new technology... And, unless the crew wasn't watching him for quite an extended period of time (or there were conditions creating particularly poor visibility that they haven't mentioned), I don't really understand how he could possibly have gotten out of sight other than by slipping beneath the surface.

As an aside, I don't think you can have an auto-inflating vest while diving, since surfacing too quickly can be very dangerous.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...-search-for-missing-sharkwater-filmmaker.html
Florida fire department says it’s found body in search for missing Toronto filmmaker Rob Stewart

U.S. Coast Guard suspends search for missing ‘Sharkwater’ filmmaker at sunset.
Volunteer divers with a Florida fire department said they found a body in the search for missing Toronto filmmaker Rob Stewart just minutes before a U.S. Coast Guard-led search was to be called off.
An official Twitter account for the U.S. Coast Guard’s Seventh District announced the news shortly before 6 p.m.
The body was reportedly found at a depth of 220 feet, thanks in part to a remotely-operated vehicle.

:(

Rest in Peace. You did great work while you were here, and you will be missed.

:fish::rose:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21hGAKv_0Bs
Published on Mar 12, 2015

Official theatrical Trailer for the feature documentary Revolution - the evolution of life and the revolution to save us. Filmed over four years in fifteen countries, this is the follow up to the widely successful feature documentary Sharkwater.

Nooooo. This is not the outcome Rob deserves. I am devastated. RIP Rob Stewart

220' is twice as deep as I've been. SeaEclipse, I agree that dive vests have buoyancy thus divers wear weights around the waist, depending on the type of equipment used. When diving in or coming to surface, it is a nice and slow, easy does it process. The human body requires this acclimation.

How sad for all of the fishes in the deep blue sea. How sad for you and me.

:fish: :fish: :tears: :fish: :fish:

After nearly three days of searching, on Friday divers found the body of conservationist and filmmaker Rob Stewart.

The commander of USCG Sector Key West Capt Jeffrey Janszen confirmed that a Key Largo Volunteer Fire Department dive team found Stewart’s body just 300 feet from his last-known position near the deep-water dive on Queen of Nassau wreck off Islamorada
http://scubadiverlife.com/body-filmmaker-rob-stewart-recovered/

Deceased :-(

Such sad news. Rob Stewart's work opened our eyes to an underwater world rarely seen!

R.I.P. Rob Stewart :rose:

I'm sure your tragic but peaceful death will raise even more awareness to your important and dedicated life's work.

Canadian filmmaker Rob Stewart found dead 'peacefully in the ocean'

The family of Toronto filmmaker Rob Stewart says his body was "found peacefully in the ocean" Friday after he disappeared Tuesday while diving in the Florida Keys.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/canadian-filmmaker-rob-stewart-confirmed-dead-1.3967284

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back