FL- 12 Story Condo Partial Building Collapse, many still unaccounted for, Miami, 24 June 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully there are many more offerings of housings closer than a port terminal that is 40 minutes away as I would have expected that to have been set up and prioritized. Seems too far for first responders to travel to on their off hours... and difficulties getting into terminal and on ship before they put their head on a bed readying for the next 12 hours. Is that area really that loaded up and they cannot find placements for such nearer?
There could be difficulty finding vacancies during the popular July 4 holiday in a desirable beach area. The hotel prices were outrageous when a friend of mine considered going over the holiday week.
JMO

I wondered about him too. I suspect, since he has not be ID'd as the security guard that I am aware of, nor has he been interviewed in MSM, he likely perished? Perhaps he went to help others instead of running out of the building. Security staff I've had contact with are generally very loyal and willing to help, especially since security these days means so much more than it did decades ago.

maybe this is the same guy Mrs. Nir #111 spoke with

(@Giles_news) | Twitter
https://twitter.com › giles_news

Allyn Kilsheimer, the structural engineer hired by the town of Surfside, said a lobby attendant told him he heard three loud "booms" before the tower collapsed.

Genevieve Beauchemin
@CTVBeauchemin

1m

Two more bodies were found overnight at the site of building collapse in Surfside. Among them the 7 year old daughter of a Miami Dade County firefighter. Mayor says all days have been hard, but the night was particularly difficult
@CTVNews

Jamie Johnson
@JamieoJohnson

·
54s

More sad news from Miami as Mayor Daniella Levine Cava confirms 2 additional victims from the collapsed apartment block, including the 7-year-old daughter of a firefighter. Death toll now at 20 Accounted for: 188 Unaccounted for: 128 #Surfside

I wondered about him too. I suspect, since he has not be ID'd as the security guard that I am aware of, nor has he been interviewed in MSM, he likely perished? Perhaps he went to help others instead of running out of the building. Security staff I've had contact with are generally very loyal and willing to help, especially since security these days means so much more than it did decades ago.
According to the resident from apt #111 she asked the security guy to cal 911, but apparently he didn't even know the address to the building he was guarding, so they wrote it down for him. It looks like he was fairly new.

Hopefully there are many more offerings of housings closer than a port terminal that is 40 minutes away as I would have expected that to have been set up and prioritized. Seems too far for first responders to travel to on their off hours... and difficulties getting into terminal and on ship before they put their head on a bed readying for the next 12 hours. Is that area really that loaded up and they cannot find placements for such nearer?
Pretty common for the cruise ships to send in a vessel to help. In this case the port is only 15 miles away. Yes, about a 40 minute bus ride but I bet these guy appreciate the hospitality.

Genevieve Beauchemin
@CTVBeauchemin

1m

Two more bodies were found overnight at the site of building collapse in Surfside. Among them the 7 year old daughter of a Miami Dade County firefighter. Mayor says all days have been hard, but the night was particularly difficult
@CTVNews

Jamie Johnson
@JamieoJohnson

·
54s

More sad news from Miami as Mayor Daniella Levine Cava confirms 2 additional victims from the collapsed apartment block, including the 7-year-old daughter of a firefighter. Death toll now at 20 Accounted for: 188 Unaccounted for: 128 #Surfside

That is heartbreaking.

Pretty common for the cruise ships to send in a vessel to help. In this case the port is only 15 miles away. Yes, about a 40 minute bus ride but I bet these guy appreciate the hospitality.
Maybe it is helpful to get a little distance from the sights, sounds and smells even if it is just for a little while.

RSBM WHAT DID THE GUARD DO? Seven minutes passed between the “earthquake” and the collapse. Why didn’t he sound the fire alarm to wake up all the residents? Did he leave the lobby to go check on things? Did he survive?

I think interviewing this guard is going to be important if he is still around.

IIRC from MSM (no link) the first notification of all of this (or one of the firsts) was indeed a fire alarm.

Reading that most of the out of towners and others affected that lived there were being put up at one place.. (iirc Marriot where Biden went.. was this coordinated by RedCross or ??? to have all go to one place to "protect" and have them together??? haven't seen MSM report on such).. was an idea that makes sense.

2 more victims, including a 7-year-old, found in Miami condo rubble (nbcnews.com)

The confirmed death toll is up to 20 after nearly half of Champlain Towers South in Surfside crumbled suddenly last week.

Two more victims, including a 7-year-old, have been recovered from the rubble of the Miami condo building that partially collapsed last week, officials said Friday.

Twenty people are confirmed dead after nearly half of Champlain Towers South in Surfside crumbled suddenly about 1:30 a.m. June 24.

But the number of accounted for people spiked from 139 to 188, while the number of unaccounted for people dropped from 145 to 128.

Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said the fluctuations, which she called "good news," were the result of an ongoing audit of a list of people reported missing following the devastating collapse...

A Miami-Dade Circuit Judge has placed the Champlain Towers South Condo Association into receivership. Judge Michael Hanzman appointed Michael Goldberg to handle all of the condo association's financial matters while the court hears lawsuits related to the building's collapse.

Five lawsuits have been filed so far, and more claims are expected in coming months.

Authorities have confirmed the deaths of 20 people and 128 others missing after the catastrophic collapse of most of the 12-story building on June 24.

At a hearing Friday, Hanzman commended the condo association for agreeing to receivership.

Florida Judge Orders Surfside Condo Association Board Into Receivership

Seven months before the collapse of Champlain Towers South in Surfside, Fla., the condominium association board and residents were still sparring over expensive repairs needed in their building...
New documents obtained by NPR reveal the board and residents were shown an urgent PowerPoint presentation from the property manager dated November 10-11, 2020. The language was stark. One slide explained in bold, uppercase lettering: WHY WE HAVE TO DO ALL THIS NOW.

Months Before Florida Condo Collapsed, Residents And The Board Sparred Over Repairs

A Miami-Dade Circuit Judge has placed the Champlain Towers South Condo Association into receivership. Judge Michael Hanzman appointed Michael Goldberg to handle all of the condo association's financial matters while the court hears lawsuits related to the building's collapse.

Five lawsuits have been filed so far, and more claims are expected in coming months.

Authorities have confirmed the deaths of 20 people and 128 others missing after the catastrophic collapse of most of the 12-story building on June 24.

At a hearing Friday, Hanzman commended the condo association for agreeing to receivership.

Florida Judge Orders Surfside Condo Association Board Into Receivership

Also from the link ---

A lawyer for the condo association told the judge the building's insurance coverage totals $48 million. The judge said the condo's land will also be an asset, which he estimates will add between $30 million and $50 million to the fund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB