FL- 12 Story Condo Partial Building Collapse, many still unaccounted for, Miami, 24 June 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"The building, one of these huge buildings, gone, right there beside us, the craziest thing I've ever heard in my life," the man said in the video. "Look at the building, it's gone."

Another witness said it looked like the entire rear of the building collapsed.

"I was able to just see probably a third, if not half of the building, literally collapsed," the witness said. "I just can't put into words, it looks like a bomb hit, it looks like something in one of these 'Third World' countries that just literally collapsed, like a pancake straight down, and there's just an incredible pile of rubble."

Massive Search and Rescue Effort After Partial Collapse of Condo Building in Surfside

Miami-Dade Police Press conference any minute

https://twitter.com/MiamiDadePD/status/1408034399434817537

A press conference will be held regarding the #SurfsideBuildingCollapse at approximately 8:20 AM at the media staging area located between 86th to 87th Street and Collins Avenue.

Miami-Dade Police
@MiamiDadePD

·
7m

#UPDATE: The press conference has changed to approximately 9:15 AM, weather permitting.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue
@MiamiDadeFire

A family reunification center has been set up for anyone looking for unaccounted or missing relatives at 9302 Collins Avenue. If you have family members that are unaccounted for or are safe, please call 305-614-1819 to account for them.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MiamiDadeFire/status/1408021153415892992

WTH happened here? It has been said that roofing work has been going on awhile. Prayers for everyone affected.

Some have suggested a possible sinkhole but I've been looking through photos of buildings that collapsed due to sinkholes and this doesn't look the same. While I don't think this was a targeted explosion, the rubble reminds me more of the Murrah Bldg in Oklahoma. But, that's just my untrained opinion.

Alex Harris
@harrisalexc

UPDATE: Around 8 a.m., Frank Rollason, director of Miami-Dade Emergency Management, said emergency workers believe they have cleared all survivors from inside the tower, which has more than 130 apartments. “Everyone who is alive is out of the building,” he told the Miami Herald.

(I read earlier that the units cost between $600K to $700K each)

RSBM UPDATE: Around 8 a.m., Frank Rollason, director of Miami-Dade Emergency Management, said emergency workers believe they have cleared all survivors from inside the tower, which has more than 130 apartments. “Everyone who is alive is out of the building,” he told the Miami Herald.

(I read earlier that the units cost between $600K to $700K each)

Umm, what about folks who may be in the rubble and still alive? (saw one boy rescued from rubble) I saw one video with doggies, but just once. I would think this is the time to use dogs!

Suzanne Spencer
@suzspencertv

We are expecting a live update from Miami Dade officials soon. Here’s what we know: -dogs/cadaver dogs brought in to search for victims -mayor believes more victims are buried in rubble -building constructed in ‘81
Quote Tweet

Suzanne Spencer
@suzspencertv
· 36m
We are continuing to follow breaking news in Surfside, FL. -10 injured, 1 person dead -about 30 condos impacted; unclear how many people were inside -Surfside mayor says there’s “no reason” for collapse -buildings inspected every 40 years -roof work currently being done

(I hope that's a typo and it's to be inspected every 4 years)

<modsnip>

Brian Entin
@BrianEntin

5m

Weather becoming an issue as search and rescue at Surfside, Fl building collapse site continues. Thunderstorms and lightning moving in.

Greg Dee
@GregDeeWeather

11m

NOW | Rescue and recovery operations in #Surfside will be impacted by heavy rain over the next hour as a thunderstorm moves in off the Atlantic. Lightning is present in this as well along with very heavy rain. #Surfsidecollapse #breakingnews

https://twitter.com/GregDeeWeather/status/1408053319906570242/photo/1

Last edited by a moderator:
Miami building collapse updates: Surfside condo search, rescue efforts
rbbm.
''Miami-Dade Rescue Fire said more than 80 technical and rescue teams were on the scene in Surfside, a few miles north of Miami Beach. Firefighters picked through the rubble – piled almost half as high as the part of the building still standing – extricating survivors and carrying them from the wreckage from the Champlain Towers South development.''

"It's less likely than a lightning strike," Burkett told CNN. "It just doesn't happen. You don't see buildings falling down in America."

''Burkett stressed that it was "not an old building. ... There's no reason for this building to go down like that."

Building, area has Argentinian connection
The city of Surfside has long been an enclave of the Argentine-American community after the economic collapse of the 1990s in the South American country. The sight of Steak restaurants and empanadas are nestled in high rise buildings. Sounds of porteño Spanish are more common than Caribbean Spanish in some places. Silvana Juárez, 49, of Argentina, lives near the condo building and said her good friends are missing.

“I have three friends and their little girl that are missing,” Juárez told USA TODAY.
“My daughter lives in the building next door and my daughter heard a loud explosion.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx