FL FL - Amy Billig, 17, Coconut Grove, 5 March 1974

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Very interesting to read about. I would love to know what happened to Amy but after 30 years it is doubtful.

well it is never doubtful, remember the little girl marsha trimble, her killer was free for about that long, and now he is in jail for her murder. so maybe it was chance? I dunno? I think one day we will find out... jmo.

Greetings! I am new to this case and I am wondering about all of the "coincidences" about this guy Hank making the harassing phone calls?

Greetings! I am new to this case and I am wondering about all of the "coincidences" about this guy Hank making the harassing phone calls?

Is there something in particular that you're wondering about?

Here's a link about Susan's passing.
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0506/13/lol.03.html

A Florida family is all too familiar with the kind of relentless search that we're seeing in this case. After her teenage daughter disappeared in 1974, a mother spent her whole life looking for answers. We get the story from CNN's Susan Candiotti.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

SUSAN CANDIOTTI, CNN NATIONAL CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): Susan Billig is a woman who never gave up trying to learn the truth with about her missing daughter, who vanished without a trace 31 years ago.

JOSHUA BILLIG, AMY BILLIG'S BROTHER: I mean, relentless. I mean it in that same way. Her passion was relentless and deeply rooted and driven.

CANDIOTTI (on camera): On march 5, 1974, police say 17-year-old Amy Billig left her house, nestled behind this old banyan tree in Coconut Grove, Florida. Her family says she was on her way to her father's art gallery, located just about half a mile way. Some people think she might have been hitchhiking. It would not have been unusual then. And others think they saw her get into a van. But none of it could ever be verified.

(voice-over): The attractive teenager was never found.

J. BILLIG: Looking for my sister really did consume her, all of her time, for quite a while.

CANDIOTTI: Her son vividly remembers photo taken on a busy street shortly after his big sister's disappearance.

J. BILLIG: I mean, I see her -- obviously, her anguish. I see that she's really scared and she's desperate. And she just wants to do anything she can to find her daughter.

CANDIOTTI: And Susan Billig did. She spent years crisscrossing the country, tracking down tips her daughter was kidnapped by a motorcycle gang. In 1996, a deathbed confession from a biker, who claimed Amy was snatched the day she disappeared, then raped, drugged, murdered and dumped in the Florida Everglades. Police say it was probably true, but could not confirm it.

For two decades, Susan Billig endured cruel phone calls from a man who turned out to be a U.S. customs agent, claiming he had information about Amy. He was caught and convicted.

SUSAN BILLIG, MOTHER OF AMY BILLIG: I'm very hurt. I'm very angry this man has taken my life apart for 21 years. CANDIOTTI: At a city park, Amy's brother remembers his sister at a Bayside bench he made in her honor. To this day, Miami Police officially classify Amy's case as a missing person. This week, at age 80, Amy's mother Susan Billig died of cancer, to the end unconvinced of her daughter's fate.

J. BILLIG: I think she went back to her hope that maybe some -- there was -- maybe that she was alive or at least that we hadn't uncovered the whole story.

CANDIOTTI: Susan Billig will be buried next to her husband. And on the tombstone between her parents, Amy, joining them, at least in name.

Susan Candiotti, CNN, Miami.

http://www.thegrovefirst.com/SueBillingobit.html

Mother's death ends quest to find child
For more than 30 years, Susan Billig looked for her daughter, Amy. On Tuesday, the Coconut Grove woman passed away, never having found her.

BY DAVID OVALLE
dovalle@herald.com

Susan Billig died without ever finding her daughter.

The Coconut Grove woman -- whose 31-year quest to find her missing teenage daughter took her from drug dens to prisons across the country and even across the Atlantic -- died Tuesday of complications from a heart attack. She was 80.

''I don't think she ever found peace,'' said her son, Josh Billig. ``She took that as a really tough wound right to the grave.''

The story of Billig and her daughter Amy has reverberated in Miami for more than a generation. Some have forgotten the details over the intervening three decades, but not Billig, who remained a stoic figure undaunted by time.

This much we all know: On March 5, 1974, 17-year-old Amy disappeared near the Billig's Coconut Grove home. She was on her way to her dad's art gallery in the Grove, then a Bohemian enclave.

Some said Amy accepted a ride from a biker. Others said she got into a van or pickup truck. Clues were strewn across the state -- her camera along Florida's Turnpike in Central Florida; her hairbrush at a convenience store in Kissimmee.
31 Year Quest: Over the years Susan Billings knocked on doors and passed out fliers like the one above.

And there was Susan Billig, knocking on doors, passing out fliers, calling police, holding news conferences. She painstakingly checked out the stories she was told: Amy was seen buying tea in Seattle; a biker was with her in Tulsa; she was a sex slave in Saudi Arabia.

The years melted away and the twists turned tragic, but never hopeless.

Her husband, Ned Billig, died of lung cancer in 1993. When he died, she was recovering herself -- also of lung cancer.
Ned's dying words to his wife: ``I want to see Amy before I die.''

Over the years, Coconut Grove grew from a Bohemian haunt to a tourist magnet. Tips poured in. Some were crazies playing with her.

Family Photo

Vanished: Amy Billing, shown in 1974 mysteriously disappeared at 17.

Among them, Henry Blair, a former U.S. Customs agent who investigated the case. Blair had prank-called Billig, teasing her with false clues about her daughter's whereabouts. In 1996, Blair was sentenced to two years in jail and ordered to pay the family $5 million -- as his income would allow.

Susan's son, Josh Billig, grew up -- she once said she wished she had spent more time with him. Josh Billig never held it against his mother.

''I tried to assure her that it wasn't a problem for me,'' Josh Billig said.

He has two daughters now.

Last year, on the 30th anniversary of Amy's disappearance, her mother spoke to The Herald: ``Because I didn't know if she was dead, I couldn't forsake her and move on.''

Hers was a familiar story in the news. It was featured on shows such as Unsolved Mysteries and America's Most Wanted.

No one wrote about Billig as tenderly as Edna Buchanan, now a novelist who covered the case for The Herald.

''I always feared that her husband, that Sue and that I would die without ever knowing what happened to Amy,'' Buchanan said Tuesday night.

``I think about it every day, every night of my life because the cases that haunt you are unsolved ones. She never gave up and endured risks that no one would ever take to try and find her daughter.''

Even a last major revelation did not convince Billig that her daughter was dead.

In 1996, a woman in Virginia told the BBC that her husband, a biker named Paul Branch, told her on his deathbed that Amy was kidnapped and gang raped near the Everglades. Amy fought back, the widow said, then was drugged, cut up and left in a canal.

In recent years, the family had come to doubt the credibility of the story, Josh Billig said. Amy's disappearance remained very much unsolved.

Buchanan never bought the theory: If the biker's story were true, too many people would have known. The word would have gotten out.

''The biker chicks grow older. They become mothers themselves. They develop consciences,'' Buchanan said. ``A lone serial killer -- I still adhere to that theory.''

During the final years of Susan Billig's life, her son said, her search became less intense. The leads dwindled.

In the last year, she suffered three heart attacks. The last one weakened her too much and left her in the hospital for more than two weeks.

Billig resigned herself not to the fact that Amy was dead, but that she might not solve the mystery while alive, said Josh Billig, 47.

Last year on a rainy day, Susan Billig went to Peacock Park in Coconut Grove, where her son built a coral rock bench to honor his sister.

''I've kind of almost lost the feeling that she's alive,'' she said at the time. ``But not entirely. I can't stand to be that sad.''

She died at home surrounded by family. Plans have not been finalized for funeral services.

Susan Billig is survived by her sister, Ray Scheckner, 87; her son, Joshua; and, she believed to the end, her daughter, Amy, who would today be 48.

Copyright 2005 Knight Ridder

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/11839787.htm

http://www.felicity.com.au/crimefiles.htm

Amy Billig and the Bikers.

© Mark Owen, 2002. [Revised 2002. First published 1992].

Over the years many young women have become slaves to bikies, willingly in many cases but unwillingly in others. This enslavement of women by riders is an activity that has been going on for decades. Many stories never see the light of day as the girl concerned more often than not has knocked about with the bikers anyway. She may be quite a willing 'slave', although often hooked on drugs and kept in line. And, once again, fear of consequences will stop many complaining. Whippings are a favourite form of punishment for girls stepping out of line, and sometimes worse....

In a well-known 1967 case in the USA an 18-year-old bikers' girl, Christine Deese, was literally nailed by both hands to a tree as a punishment by members of the Outlaws bikie gang. Five bikers attended the 'punishment ceremony' which was ordered when the girl failed to account for $10 belonging to the club. And this was only one case of crucifixion. Others have undoubtedly occurred but many girls thus punished might eventually end up dumped in the Everglades or some such remote region, and never be heard from again.

The girl, passive, like so many of her kind, was afterwards taken to hospital for treatment but at first she claimed she had been injured falling on a plank with two nails in it. A suspicious sheriff wondered at the fact that the holes were in exactly the same position in each hand. Questioned alone Christine admitted the truth. Of special interest is the response the sheriff gave when a reporter questioned him as to whether the girl had struggled during her ordeal.

'These female club members seem to blindly follow any direction from the men,' commented the sheriff. 'She apparently just stood where they told her, and they just nailed her to the tree.'

Such girls may be enslaved slowly, as they move about with the bikers, until they lack any will to escape or, it is believed, on occasions, simply snatched off the street and 'trained' to serve a master. Girls like these may be traded about among the groups, the most desirable being sold as payment for a new motorcycle. Or one might be swapped with another girl slave. Such girls often bear the marks of beatings and other ill-treatment. But they seldom complain, even in situations where they could receive help.

FORCED INTO SLAVERY

But others are forced into slavery. Betty Darlene Callahan had the misfortune to be the girlfriend of a young man who owed money to the Outlaws for drugs they'd supplied him. When he didn't pay up they killed the boyfriend, kidnapped Betty and raped her, then forced her to work for them as a prostitute in Chicago, eventually turning her over to the Mafia, to work in turn for them. Eventually Betty testified in a Federal court case. She was lucky; she lived. Many haven't.

A constant trade in girls takes place across North America, especially back and forth over the Canadian-US border. A girl might be sold for as little as a few hundred dollars or for two or three thousand. Many end up in the white slave trade and eventually fade from view, broken and worn out with sex and drugs at an early age.

A case of this kind appears to have occurred in Florida when 17-year-old Amy Billig simply disappeared from the street. It was March 4, 1974 when Amy went missing without a hint being left behind of what happened to her. All expert opinion agrees that Amy was no runaway but there is much evidence to indicate that she was taken by a bikie gang and enslaved. Although her distraught family have searched for her ever since and followed up the most improbable leads, Amy has never been found, to the best of my knowledge.

But in her search, Amy's mother, Susan, had many contacts with bikers and reports reaching her through them indicated that Amy had been sighted on a number of occasions, always in the company of bikers, her demeanour being described as 'very quiet.' It was said that at one stage she had been sold from one group, the Outlaws, into another, the Pagans.

And Amy is only one such girl. It is believed there have been many similar cases, girls abducted from the streets and forced to work for an 'owner' or even a whole group of 'owners'. Their takings are dutifully handed over to their jailers. In return they get drugs, a little food and a bit of loving. That's all.

Probably the most definite contact Amy's mother had was with a biker who claimed he had 'owned' Amy at one time. She had been bought by him and when he had taken her over she was badly beaten and drugged. He had later been arrested on another matter and the girl had gone while he was in jail. Was it Amy? The man recognized the girl in a photo he was shown, but one final fact seemed to confirm his story: he knew of a small scar which had been kept secret by the family so as to have a positive means of identification. Beyond these tantalizing bits of information, nothing further has ever come to light.

http://www.felicity.com.au/crimefiles.htm

I would like to know more about this Hank also.He knew about white slavery?

Originally Posted by jat

Among them, Henry Blair, a former U.S. Customs agent who investigated the case. Blair had prank-called Billig, teasing her with false clues about her daughter's whereabouts. In 1996, Blair was sentenced to two years in jail and ordered to pay the family $5 million -- as his income would allow.

If you mean this "Hank" he was cleared by the police of having anything to do with Amy's disappearance.

May I please ask is there any thing new or are they still investigating amy's case?

Amy's case remains open, but I have not heard of any new developments. Her brother still waits for answers.

Amy's case remains open, but I have not heard of any new developments. Her brother still waits for answers.

This case has always been one of my "pet" cases. I read the book Susan Billig wrote and it was heartbreaking. I dont' know what to make of Paul Branch. Does anyone think he did kidnap Amy or was he just a sadistic jerk? I would love to hear everyone's theories on what happened to Amy Billig.

Amy Billig - Ruled Out - Dentals

Amy has been missing since 1979. She was hitchhiking from Coconut Grove, FL.

I have not checked all the stats yet - she may be a stretch. I'll double check when I get back.

Salem

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/billig_amy.html

We also have a thread in the Missing but not Forgotten I'll link soon.

If you mean this "Hank" he was cleared by the police of having anything to do with Amy's disappearance.

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20102886,00.html

"An entry in Amy's battered diary, written six weeks before she disappeared, now takes on new meaning. "Hank says as soon as I finish school, he wants me to go to South America with him. I told him he's crazy."

Henry Johnson Blair is known to family and friends as Hank. No one who was close to Amy recalls that she knew anyone by that name—or whether she ever could have met Blair. But Blair was well acquainted with South America, having made numerous trips there in the early 70s as a sky marshal, an undercover agent who rode on commercial airlines to combat hijackings. Around the time Amy vanished, Blair, then 27, and his wife—who appears to have remained supportive during his legal troubles—claim vaguely to have been honeymooning in San Francisco for 10 to 13 days. If the former number is correct, Amy was abducted just after the Blairs returned to Florida. "

I read this entire thread last night about Amy Billig. And some things stood out to me. I have learned a lot about stalkers. Unfortunately I had to learn it the hard way. But stalkers are very resourceful people. And Henry started stalking Barbara Billig several months after Amy disappeared. Why? Why did he choose Barbara? A middle aged woman he had no previous contact with? And it turned out to be a long term fixation at that. Do we know what most of the content of his correspondence & or calls to Barbara Billig consisted of? Was it to do with Barbara herself or did most of it pertain to Amy? The man managed to keep a job as a civil servant for a long time too. This shows me he was capable of appearing normal when he had to. But I think he was stalking Barbara as part of his sick fixation on Amy. Who he probably killed. The connection to Barbara was a way of reliving the fantasy. For 21 years. And he was supposed to have been cleared. But How was he cleared exactly? Do we know? Was he cleared by the same PDF that failed to take Amy's fingerprints? And wasn't he supposed to have returned from SF around the time Amy disappeared? And then there's the pic if the identical van in Amy's camera. The references to a Hank who was moving to South America. I know this is only my opinion. But as I said, I know a lot about stalkers & the dynamics that go with it. And it is as clear as day to me that Barbara Billing's stalker had killed her daughter Amy. And he got off on watching her suffer too after he did it for over. 2 decades. The bikers were a convenient red Herring. Dena

I am waiting to hear back from TXDPS on whether Amy Billig has been submitted before as a possible match to being Princess Blue or if she has already been ruled out as being Princess Blue. I will post when I find out.

ETA: I just wanted to add that Amy's Doenetwork page says her DNA is available in CODIS but I wanted to contact TXDPS about it just to be sure.

That poor family. Everybody has now passed on, except the brother. The mother and father died never knowing what happened to their daughter. The heartbreak alone probably killed them.

I read this entire thread last night about Amy Billig. And some things stood out to me. I have learned a lot about stalkers. Unfortunately I had to learn it the hard way. But stalkers are very resourceful people. And Henry started stalking Barbara Billig several months after Amy disappeared. Why? Why did he choose Barbara? A middle aged woman he had no previous contact with? And it turned out to be a long term fixation at that. Do we know what most of the content of his correspondence & or calls to Barbara Billig consisted of? Was it to do with Barbara herself or did most of it pertain to Amy? The man managed to keep a job as a civil servant for a long time too. This shows me he was capable of appearing normal when he had to. But I think he was stalking Barbara as part of his sick fixation on Amy. Who he probably killed. The connection to Barbara was a way of reliving the fantasy. For 21 years. And he was supposed to have been cleared. But How was he cleared exactly? Do we know? Was he cleared by the same PDF that failed to take Amy's fingerprints? And wasn't he supposed to have returned from SF around the time Amy disappeared? And then there's the pic if the identical van in Amy's camera. The references to a Hank who was moving to South America. I know this is only my opinion. But as I said, I know a lot about stalkers & the dynamics that go with it. And it is as clear as day to me that Barbara Billing's stalker had killed her daughter Amy. And he got off on watching her suffer too after he did it for over. 2 decades. The bikers were a convenient red Herring. Dena

I've always believed the same thing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
liiinebecc
Back