GUILTY FL - Astronaut Lisa Nowak arrested in kidnap attempt, 5 Feb 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
BOLO: crazy former astronaut, may be hanging out in gyms or hardware stores.

I bet the woman she was attempting to "just scare" isn't too happy.

If I were the judge I'd say, "don't like the monitoring device? No problem. Go to jail and we'll remove it". I sound like a hard azz today.
nah you just sound like you have a brain. you could never get a job as a judge.

The judge is going to let her remove her monitor! I really didn't think this would happen!

ORLANDO, Fla. - Former astronaut Lisa Nowak can remove an electronic monitoring bracelet from her ankle, a circuit court judge ruled Thursday ahead of her trial for allegedly attacking a romantic rival.
ADVERTISEMENT

Nowak argued it was expensive, bulky and uncomfortable. Judge Marc L. Lubet said that didn't matter, but Nowak had behaved well enough over the past 7 months to earn release.

More at link.

whoa!!...i hadn't heard this yet...i'm surprised, hmmmm

ORLANDO, Fla. — Former astronaut Lisa Nowak nodded consent for police to search her car after she allegedly confronted a romantic rival, and she appeared in control during a marathon interview with police, a detective testified Wednesday.
Nowak was in court to ask a judge to throw out evidence against her, including the five-hour police interview and evidence found in the car. Her attorney argues that she did not consent to the search and was not advised of her rights before questioning.
• Click here to view video
Detective Chris Becton described Nowak as a cunning subject who tried wheedling information from police.
"I would ask her a question. She would either completely and totally avoid the question I was asking or she would ask another question," he said. "It led me to believe that I was dealing with someone who was extremely intelligent, very controlled, and basically smarter than I was."
Nowak, 44, was arrested in February after allegedly confronting Colleen Shipman, the girlfriend of a former space shuttle pilot Nowak had been seeing. Authorities say Nowak stalked Shipman at the Orlando airport and tried to get into her car, then attacked her with pepper spray. Shipman was able to drive away. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,297300,00.html

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071103/ap_on_re_us/astronaut_arrested;_ylt=ApGF0lt_Lovf8IBhNFyFdZdH2ocA

Evidence tossed

By TRAVIS REED, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 50 minutes ago

ORLANDO, Fla. - A judge agreed Friday to toss much of the evidence against Nowak, a former astronaut accused of making a diaper-assisted, 1,000-mile drive to confront a woman vying for the affections of the same space shuttle pilot. Investigators took advantage of 44-year-old Lisa Nowak, who had not slept for more than 24 hours, coercing her into giving information in a lengthy arrest interview, Orange County Circuit Judge Marc L. Lubet said.
Lubet granted a defense motion to throw out comments she made during the six-hour interview and items seized during a search of her BMW, including maps to alleged victim Colleen Shipman's home, large garbage bags, latex gloves and some soiled toddler-sized diapers.
Nowak's defense steadfastly denies she ever wore or soiled them to avoid stopping during her drive from Houston, but a detective said Nowak told him she had.

BUT
But evidence from a duffel bag Nowak was carrying — a steel mallet, buck knife, BB gun resembling a real 9mm handgun, gloves and six feet of rubber tubing — remains in the case.

(more craziness at link) (IMO) :D

Should we really be making fun of someone who is mentally ill? If you read the whole story of why the evidence was tossed, there were good reasons for it. The police did not follow the proper safeguards for the accused and used threats and told her the right to a lawyer was just a "formalilty."

I'm not making fun of her, kylie. Just posting the link and a portion of the article. I do think it's crazy that her testimony is tossed because she was exhausted. IMO.

I think the items in the duffel bag are more important to the case anyway.

You are probably right about the items in the duffel bag. It just makes me nervous when police seem to have a slam dunk case and still don't follow the rules of the Constitution. And this was the police chief himself. Apparently, the interrogation video told a different story than the one the chief tried to portray.

Ah, Ms Nowack out foxed a fox....I agree the evidence was probably fairly tossed, but did you catch her sly smile? Her rival was one lucky lady that night....

The case against former astronaut Lisa Nowak is back in action.

The Fifth District Court of Appeal set a hearing date next month on the state's appeal of a circuit court judge's decision to toss out Nowak's statements to police and evidence found in her car.

Legal arguments will be held on Oct. 21 in Daytona Beach.

Nowak, who is free on bond, is charged with attempted kidnapping, burglary with assault and battery.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-lisa-nowak-hearing-090908,0,2006179.story

Couple in astronaut assault case plan to marry

A Florida attorney says a couple who were rocketed into the public eye by the antics of a former astronaut are getting married.

Kepler Funk, a Melbourne attorney who represents Colleen Shipman, said Friday that she and former space shuttle pilot Bill Oefelein have gotten engaged.

The two, who now live in Alaska, are planning a wedding next summer in Pennsylvania, according to an engagement announcement appearing in the Anchorage Daily News. Shipman's parents live in Pennsylvania.

Nowak is set to go on trial Dec. 7 on charges of attempted kidnapping, burglary and battery with assault.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31857088/ns/technology_and_science-space/

<snip>

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Former astronaut Lisa Nowak is expected to be in court on Tuesday for a pretrial hearing at the Orange County Courthouse.

Prosecutors have been in negotiations with Nowak’s defense attorney, Donald Lykkbak, according to the state attorney’s office.

It’s unclear what will happen during the 1:30 p.m. hearing before Orange Circuit Court Judge Marc Lubet.

Nowak, 46, is charged with attempted kidnapping and burglary with assault, which can carry up to a life sentence. She’s also charged with misdemeanor battery.

more here

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/21570383/detail.html

<snip>

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Former astronaut Lisa Nowak will consider the possibility of a plea deal during a courtroom appearance in Orlando.

Discussion during a pretrial hearing Tuesday will focus on whether Nowak accepts or rejects a plea offer from prosecutors.

A spokeswoman for prosecutors in Orlando says she can't discuss the terms of the plea proposal.

more here

http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=117424

<snip>

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A former astronaut charged with confronting a romantic rival in an airport parking lot has pleaded guilty to felony burglary of a car and misdemeanor battery.

Lisa Nowak agreed Tuesday to the plea to avoid a trial scheduled next month. She had originally been charged with attempted kidnapping and burglary, which are felonies, and misdemeanor battery.

Nowak, a Navy captain, is accused of confronting Colleen Shipman in the parking lot of Orlando International Airport in February 2007 after driving from Houston. Shipman had begun dating Nowak's love interest, former space shuttle pilot Bill Oefelein.

more here

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/florida/AP/story/1326274.html

Dang a year? I got more than that for really minor crap! And Im in Florida! I feel ripped off

If that had been a man as opposed to a woman, I wonder if he would have just gotten a year??? Women can be just a cruel... She deserved more.

If that had been a man as opposed to a woman, I wonder if he would have just gotten a year??? Women can be just a cruel... She deserved more.

The sentence is a JOKE. One year's probation for kidnapping and assault? The items found in her car clearly indicate that this woman had every intent of killing or seriously harming Ms. Shipman.

Are we to believe it was the fault of the investigators that Nowak hadn't slept in over 24 hours? I bet the dog ate her homework, too. :rolleyes:

Oh well. Nowak may go free, but it's a safe bet she won't be invited to the wedding. :razz:

1 year probation??? Did her lawyer play golf with the judge? That's a slap on the wrist!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back