FL FL - Austin Stephanos & Perry Cohen, both 14, Jupiter, 24 July 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a scanner thread here? People are going crazy trying to decipher the coast guard scanner on Facebook.

....snipped for focus.....

OT - Hatfield, there isn't a net big enough for the fish I catch ;)

OT
I am jealous :) I wish I could go deep sea fishing again someday.

I dont live near the Atlantic anymore and am land-locked....LOL

I do miss it. I used to go up to Margate NJ for Mackeral fishing off the Jersey shore, and once while on vacation in Florida I paid my fare to get on a party fishing boat while spouse wanted to go to the beach instead.

It is so much fun deep sea fishing because you never know what you are going to catch.

And you are so right that the fish you can catch in the ocean can be "huge".

I am stuck fishing my local land-locked lakes with my small john boat. But I pretend I am "out there". LOL :)

OT

I do miss it. I used to go up to Margate NJ for Mackeral fishing off the Jersey shore, and once while on vacation in Florida I paid my fare to get on a party fishing boat while spouse wanted to go to the beach instead.

It is so much fun deep sea fishing because you never know what you are going to catch.

I am stuck fishing my local land-locked lakes with my small john boat. But I pretend I am "out there". LOL :)

I miss it too,sportfishing is an addiction.Fishing the gulf stream in s.fla. is beautiful.

I wanted to add that I bet these boys felt the same about fishing and parents probably could not keep them from it.

Maybe they brought a 2nd cooler that the parents were not aware of.

Its interesting searchers just happened to find a cooler. Hmmmm.

I guess there is always random debri like that though.

It is very common to see styrofoam coolers out in the ocean.They are easy to spot.

Most of the articles say there were multiple life jackets on board and only 1 was found at the boat so there is hope they had their life jackets on.

The cooler is also missing which is good news if they managed to cling onto that.

Most coolers float so I would hope the type they had floats too and hope they managed to cling onto it.

If you google "capsize cooler rescue" you will see plenty of examples of people that have survived so I will continue to hold out hope.

Its just the searchers need to find them quickly as time is running out.

Its so sad because the ocean is so vast that it makes it very difficult to find anyone out there especially without the large boat.

Uggggg.

I wish the boys would have had one of those emergency locator transmitters on the boat. Hindsight is always 20/20 and nobody ever expects to really need one. I suppose they could be expensive too as I have never priced one of those gadgets.

It would be a tough predicament for the boys because they didnt even have all their gas money so its not like they had the money for one of those devices. Although perhaps the family should have gotten one for the boat so that whoever uses the boat always had one of those. Of course the parents never thought they would venture out like that either. Hindsight is always 20/20 and all we can do is learn from these tragic stories.

Below is link to one of the transmitter devices. I think this type below is for aircraft but they do make marine type too I think.

http://www.elta.fr/gb/emergency-locator-transmitters.html

ETA

Link below has some marine type. They are somewhat expensive depending on model.

http://aaaliferafts.com/ELT_EPIRB_emergency_locator_transmitters.html

My parents had an EPIRB on their boat back in the late 90s, and it was almost prohibitively expensive; but my mother insisted because they did a lot of offshore fishing out past the 2nd shipping lane. I'm not 100% certain on how they work *now*; but back then if stuff hit the fan, so to speak, You could hit a button to activate it and release it; or it would activate on its own with prolonged exposure to water.

Looks like they run around $400 now, though- so not that bad given their purpose. I'm actually kind of surprised the kids didn't have one, solely based on my assumption that they are relatively financially...comfortable. At the very least, one of them could have grabbed it and been found within an hour of activation.

One thing I've noticed today is a large amount of air traffic over my house. I live pretty much directly west of Witham Field in Stuart, one of the closest private airfields to Jupiter. I wonder how many of them are headed out to search... I've heard at least 7 planes since about 10am.

Oh, and if you value your sanity, stay away from the FB group. Holy cow. ��

I forgot to add that the cooler they had onboard is a YETI... Really expensive, will keep Ice for 5 days, and does not sink. Like, ever.

OT

I live just south on a barrier island of where these boys are from & it's a beautiful lifestyle, for sure. But I do remember Margate, NJ very well, Hatfield. Maynard's, Memories, the Key Club (a.c.), & Venturas with Lucy the Elephant. Long port just south was called the Irish Riviera!
And how 'bout the White House Subs & the Baltimore Grille?

Sorry this is OT but had to reminisce .... But love SEFL more!

I really don't want to bag on anyone, but it's probably time to get realistic. The chances are slim at this point. I mean, I don't know... I think I'm grumpy right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't want to bag on anyone, but it's probably time to get realistic. The chances are slim at this point. I mean, I don't know... I think I'm grumpy right now.

I understand. I've been feeling pretty shaky about it throughout. Now I'm just flat-out scared. I still hold out for those miracles, but...yeah, scared. Like in "bracing" mode.

Just making note of this- there are 2 active Pon Pons from Charleston SC USCG- one is for ONE possible person off Tybee Island, the other is for TWO possible people drifting with the current off Tybee.

Sounds like 2 separate reports for the same "sighting" by 2 different people....? Lots of activity on the BeachCam also.

**Obviously this may not be them, but I figured I'd at least add it for the information**

d1f68f51ba189acf368ac30d96dbb5aa.jpg

Local Savannah Fox station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics