FL FL - Austin Stephanos & Perry Cohen, both 14, Jupiter, 24 July 2015 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How does one, as a mama, ever stop searching?

I just can't imagine. My heart breaks for them.

As a mother, I can't even imagine not having any closure. Heartbreaking for all the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The families says they plan to continue private search efforts after the Coast Guard effort ends. Some questions I have are:
-Is the private search effort going to go for as long as the families feel they could be alive?
-Will private searches continue even after it's determined that there is absolutely no way the boys are still with us? Would it be possible to find their bodies or would they sink to the bottom of the ocean or be eaten by sharks? Would the families have to employ divers?
So I am just curious if they are going to do private search efforts because they think the boys are still alive, or because they want closure, and want to find them, period?

My thoughts as well. I wonder if it wasn't meant to happen - going put so far. At the same time were they adequately prepared for the "what ifs"?
They bought $110 worth of gas and told friends they were going to the Bahamas.

They bought $110 worth of gas and told friends they were going to the Bahamas.
And I knew that. Ugh! I will call this selective memory. Thanks for the reminder. Just so worried about these 2!

Usually I would agree. I tend towards being a Libertarian.

But look at how much time, resources, manpower and money was spent just looking for the capsized boat. They could have zeroed in on the first day.

How willl the gps transmit?

As a mother, I can't even imagine not having any closure. Heartbreaking for all the family.

There is no such thing as closure. You can go on and live your life but you will never forget or stop missing a deceased child. You may come to a certain peace about it but the wound never closes.

Thanks all for reporting the presser info here! I couldn't get that link to work.

Just as I expected, suspended search. Very hard for the families to hear that.

I would think the families will keep searching to find their bodies, or anything at all for that matter. If they had the life jackets on, bodies might be floating for quite some time. But it will only get more difficult from now on as the gulf stream turns east and pushes everything out into the Atlantic.

On the fb page, small islands are also mentioned. I don't know where they are exactly.

The families says they plan to continue private search efforts after the Coast Guard effort ends. Some questions I have are:
-Is the private search effort going to go for as long as the families feel they could be alive?
-Will private searches continue even after it's determined that there is absolutely no way the boys are still with us? Would it be possible to find their bodies or would they sink to the bottom of the ocean or be eaten by sharks? Would the families have to employ divers?
So I am just curious if they are going to do private search efforts because they think the boys are still alive, or because they want closure, and want to find them, period?

If Joe Namath pitches in the reward money and somebody knowledgeable screens different searchers, they could probably continue searching for some time.

There is no such thing as closure. You can go on and live your life but you will never forget or stop missing a deceased child. You may come to a certain peace about it but the wound never closes.

Seriously? You think I meant "Oh they are dead, I can move on with life and forget them?" Closure as to not knowing where your child is. Not knowing if they are alive on an island somewhere, eaten by sharks or floated off to never be seen again. It is way easier to grieve knowing what really happened. No one will every forget or get over losing a child, closure is easier to come by when you know the real story. :(

I'm heartbroken for everyone involved. I will take this and make it a teaching moment for my 16 year old son who loves to fly and boat. That's the way I will honor Perry and Austin.

I haven't read all of this yet, I'm on my way back home from Jupiter right now, but I'll be back on shortly.

Thanks all for reporting the presser info here! I couldn't get that link to work.

Just as I expected, suspended search. Very hard for the families to hear that.

I would think the families will keep searching to find their bodies, or anything at all for that matter. If they had the life jackets on, bodies might be floating for quite some time. But it will only get more difficult from now on as the gulf stream turns east and pushes everything out into the Atlantic.

On the fb page, small islands are also mentioned. I don't know where they are exactly.

The small islands are in the area of the northern Bahama's, about 90 miles east of Palm Beach County. The thought being somehow they made it to those islands. Unfortunately, the capsized boat being found off the coast of Volusia County FL (Ponce Inlet), strongly suggests the boys did not make it anywhere near those islands. The location of the boat, combined with the gulf stream current indicates the boat likely never made it more than 20 miles offshore before becoming disabled.

Attachments

• Bahama Islets.jpg
    Bahama Islets.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 203
If Joe Namath pitches in the reward money and somebody knowledgeable screens different searchers, they could probably continue searching for some time.

But at some point, wouldn't the $$ spent by private searchers eclipse the reward amount (100k)? I honestly have no idea. How many searchers are doing it because there is still hope they are still alive, and/or because the case is very hot in the news? It's hard for me to think there is going to be a decent-sized search still going on in a couple of weeks. I am not sure how much $283k in private donations will buy, and how much longer volunteers will continue looking.

Is it possible they never meant to go out that far but were pushed by the wind coming from the West? Or is the boat too small/low to be pushed by strong winds?

No, they left the inlet 3 hours before the storm was there. There is a cross current in the inlet...there's water pushing out, but there's also water pushing in. Sometimes you can actually see swirls in the water like a toilet flushing.

Then...there's a break just outside the inlet that creates waves, and the current pushes from the south side of the inlet around to the northern side. There is a huge erosion problem on the south side of the inlet because of that current.

They went out voluntarily. The police dept has video of them leaving the inlet under full power.

The private search will likely go on for as long as people keep donating money hand over fist, and pilots and captains keep offering their planes and boats. However, eventually these pilots and captains are going to have to resume their daily lives. The donation link says that any remaining funds will be used to help with SAR efforts for other cases, but I don't see them stopping while there's still money. (IMO; I don't know the families)

As far as recovering the bodies, being that they are in warm salt water, decomposition would be accelerated. Not to be too graphic, but they will float for a time, and then they will sink and deteriorate. Divers wouldn't be helpful if they've sunk, for various reasons I don't think I should post.

I think they don't want to give up yet, which I understand- but they are clinging to the belief that the boys have the cooler and are floating with it. I don't think they ever had the cooler off the boat. It is rather odd that no one has come across anything related to them in the search, but the ocean is a big big place...

The small islands are in the area of the northern Bahama's, about 90 miles east of Palm Beach County. The thought being somehow they made it to those islands. Unfortunately, the capsized boat being found off the coast of Volusia County FL (Ponce Inlet), strongly suggests the boys did not make it anywhere near those islands. The location of the boat, combined with the gulf stream current indicates the boat likely never made it more than 20 miles offshore before becoming disabled.

If I'm remembering correctly, the Gulf Stream is about 15 miles off of Jupiter, so that seems very very likely. (I may be wrong, it's been a long week with little sleep!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member