FL FL - Barbara Ann Bockwith, 20, Escambia County, 5 Dec 1979

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The city of Pensacola, Florida is spread over a large area. The two places where Barbara was last seen - the McDonalds on Navy Blvd, and the Campus of West Florida are both on the far western edge of the city. If Barbara was abducted or killed and then driven any where east or south from that area, she would be headed into a more populated area in terms of houses and businesses. Traveling to the West, however, would have been to move to more remote and less populated parts of the county. In fact, it would have been less than 20 minutes or so from the Florida - Alabama state line at Perdido Bay. There were - and still are - many rural areas in which to hide a body.A Drive North would have meant going by a lot of businesses, but north of US 10 there would be more rural areas in which to hide a body.The Pensacola airport is at the far Eastern end of Pensacola. Barbara's car could have been moved to there at any time after her demise. It could sit in a parking lot unnoticed for a period of time withouth arousing suspicion, and could have been placed there to give police investigators the impression that she might have flown away some where.The question in my mind would be, were Deaver's prints found anywhere on or in that car?

Thanks for the link to the thread and your post.

You are right about how Pensacola, Escambia County is very spread out.
This is why the TIME LINE is so important in this case, it puts things in a workable
order.

The following is a timeline of the last hours before Barbara Ann Bockwith's disappearance

Sat. 12-01-79 BABs and Mac have an argument over her dating other people, Mac threatens BABs in front of witnesses. It was around this time that a friend's vehicle was vandalized. BABs and the friend had gone out on a date earlier

Tue. 12-04-79 BAB goes to a lounge with Betty, one of her best friends, and Macs roommate. They leave the lounge around midnight

Wed. 12-05-79 apprx. 12:30 am BABs and Betty go to a small bar on Navy Blvd. BABs sees a male friend as they enter the bar. The friend invites her to a party and she leaves with the friend. I was able to talk to this friend years later and ask him if Mac was in the bar at that time. The friend said no Mac was not there, but he said, Mac could have come in the front door as they were leaving out the back door and seen them leave (very small bar)

Wed. 12-05-79 apprx. 2:00 to 2:30 am the friend brings BABs home from the party. The party was in BABs and Mac's neighborhood known as Navy Point

Wed. 12-05-79 apprx. 3:00 to 3:30 am BABs calls her brother, who is attending FSU in Tallahassee, Fl. Her brother said, it was strange that she called so late. He also said, she sounded depressed but said nothing about Mac

Wed. 12-05-79 apprx. 4:00 am BABs talks to her father in the kitchen, he goes back to bed. Nothing was said about Mac

Wed. 12-05-79 apprx. 6:00 am BAB's father finds a note in the kitchen saying BABs has gone to a friend's house to study

WED. 12-05-79 appx. 6:30 to 7:00 am BABs is having breakfast with Betty at McDonalds on Navy Blvd. Betty said BABs was complaining about Mac trying to stop her from seeing other people

Wed. 12-05-79 apprx. 8:00 am BABs returns home and takes a short nap

Wed. 12-05-79 apprx. 9:00 am BABs leaves for school

Wed. 12-05-79 apprx. 11:10 am BABs is seen talking to two male friends outside the classroom at Bldg. 58 @ the University of West Florida. This is her final accounting test of the semester. BABs does not go to class or take the final. Years later it was related to me that a close friend had told BABs that it was an open book test. BABs returned to her car to get her book and was never seen again at the school

Wed. 12-05-79 apprx.12:05 pm BABs and her red Toyota are seen headed south at the intersection of 9th Ave. and Creighton Rd. by a friend. The friend said she waved to BABs

Thu. 12-06-79 BABs does not come home or call

Thu. Apprx. 9:30 am one of BABs best friends calls her private telephone number to confirm a standing luncheon date. Mr. Bockwith answered the telephone. The friend was told that BABs had not come home or called. The friend called Betty at work and Mac at home, neither had seen BABs

Thu. 12-06-79 apprx. 1:00 pm Mr. Bockwith calls the Sheriff's Dept.--the Sheriff's Dept. responded in 15 min. A missing person's report was filed

Thu. 12-06-79 Mac and a friend go out to UWF to look for BAB's Red Toyota. This information was obtained through a interview years later

Fri. 12-07-79 apprx. 10:00 pm to midnight the Bockwith family and a group of friends contacted the Sheriff's Dept. and insisted the Sheriff's Dept. meet with (10) of BAB 's close friends. Two investigators were sent to the Bockwith home and all (10) were interviewed. General consensus of the group was Robert Mac Deaver was the prime suspect. (Mac was not at the interview)

Sat. 12-08-79 apprx. 1:00 to 1:30 am investigators attempted to locate Mac

Sat. 12-08-79 apprx. 9:00 am BAB's brother and Mac go out to the university campus to post and hand out flyers. BAB's brother stated Mac was crying hard the whole time they were passing out flyers

12-07-79---12-08-79 the Bockwith family is not happy with the way the case is going

Sun. 12-09-79 Mr. Bockwith hires a private detective agency -- Wackenhut Corp. Robert Waldrop, the area manager, will handle the case

Sun. 12-09-79 apprx. 6:00 pm to 1:30 am Mr. Waldrop interviewed (15) of BAB's closest friends at the Bockwith home. Robert Mac Deaver was present along with a Sheriffs investigator

Mon. 12-10-79 Mr. Waldrop goes to work and contacts the Pensacola Police Dept. Mr. Waldrop asks if they can have a unit look in the airport parking lot for BAB's Red Toyota

Mom. 12-10-79 apprx. 9:30 am Pensacola Police Dept. finds BAB's Red Toyota. Mr. Waldrop and the Sheriff's are notified and respond to the airport. The vehicle was locked and a locksmith was called.
The Sheriffs Dept. did not do any crime scene processing of the vehicle due to the length of time the vehicle had been in the weather. The interior was not printed due to the interior texture and the vehicle was not impounded. Inside the vehicle the seat had been moved all the way back and her accounting textbook was in the back seat. Mr. Waldrop call Mac to the airport parking lot. Once at the parking lot Mac was asked to take a lie detector test on 12-11-79 at 9:00 am and he agrees.

Tue. 12-11-79 apprx. 9:00 am Robert Mac Deaver does not show for the lie detector test

Tue. 12-11-79 apprx. 8:00 am Robert Mac Deaver is found dead on a couch in the garage with a shotgun wound to his chest (heart), an apparent suicide. Mac was found by BAB's brother and three other friends. One is a tenant and has a key to the house

The above information came from period news paper articles and interview with family and friends.

Their are so many other parts to this case that need to be explored, like the searches that were made for BABs and the Psychic consultants with their uncanny production about this case. It must be said all the law enforcement agency's that at the time did all that they could do.

On my post of 09-30-79 I left out a very important fact.

When the S/O and Wackenhut were at the airport it was found that BAB's vehicle was parked at the airport on 12-05-79 between 10:00 and 12:00 pm. The timeline may have been closer if the ticket on the vehicle had not been transferred from short term to long term. Also, the two airline carriers and the two car rental agents were contacted to see if anyone fitting BABs descriptions had tried to purchase a ticket or rent a vehicle. The two cab companies in the city/county were also contacted, with negative results.
Pensacola, Fl. In 1979 was a big small town!!!

The Barbara Ann Bockwith missing person case is 35yr. old and believe it or not their is still things about this case that need to be looked into and people reinterviewed intently. The information that I'm going to bring comes from LE public record request, period news paper articals.

I read a newspaper article on this case. Pensacola News, December 31, 1979. Barbara's father lambasted the police for not dusting the car for fingerprints, an egregious example of police work if true. They must have just assumed that Barbara had taken the car there and flown away. Also, that the seat was moved back is, in fact, a big clue that Robert Deaver was the driver of the car. He was 6'6" and Barbara was like 5'4" or so. Lastly, Deaver committed suicide the same day that he was supposed to take a lie detector test regarding the case. That seems like judicial suicide to me. See a snip of the article below.

While very sad, it seems clear in this case that Robert Deaver killed this girl and then himself. I don't know if her car was ever dusted (I assume it was) but having been found at the airport and the seat moved back, it is clea rit was planted there. The fact that the coward killed hiself five days after being questioned in a HUGE red flag.

Attachments

• Deaver.JPG
    Deaver.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 11
Barbara Ann Bockwith
  • barbara_ann_bockwith_1.jpg
  • barbara_ann_bockwith_2.jpg
  • barbara_ann_bockwith_3.jpg
Bockwith, circa 1979

• Missing Since 12/05/1979
  • Missing From Escambia County, Florida
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 12/31/1958 (61)
  • Age 20 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'4, 115 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A plaid shirt and brown pants.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Bockwith has had extensive dental work.
Details of Disappearance

Bockwith was last seen in Escambia County, Florida on December 5, 1979. She got up early that morning and breakfasted with a friend at a McDonald's restaurant on Navy Boulevard. Her behavior at the time was normal. After the mean Bockwith returned to her home in the 200 block of Greve Road in Pensacola, Florida and went back to bed. She left home again at 9:30 a.m. to go to class at the University of West Florida.

Two friends saw Bockwith on campus in Building 58 at 11:10 a.m., just ten minutes before she had an accounting class scheduled there, but uncharacteristically, she never showed up for the class. A longtime friend saw her driving through the intersection at Creighton Road and Ninth Avenue, heading south, at 12:05 p.m. She has never been heard from again.

On December 12, Bockwith's bright red 1977 Toyota hatchback with the Florida license plate number 9D-23821 was found in the long-term parking lot at the Pensacola Regional Airport.

The driver's seat was pushed back all the way, indicating that the last person to drive the car was taller than Bockwith. Her textbooks were in the backseat instead of in the passenger seat where she normally kept them, which suggests there were two people in the vehicle. Bockwith's purse was missing. She never touched her checking account, she contained $1,500.

Bockwith had told several friends about having problems with her sometime boyfriend, Robert McClellan "Mack" Deaver, prior to her disappearance. They had dated steadily two years earlier, but their relationship was troubled.

Bockwith's family and friends described Deaver as an extremely jealous man with a volatile temper. Twice Bockwith filed complaints with the police against him. In April 1978, he was accused of an "unprovoked" attack against Bockwith's new boyfriend while Bockwith was with him. Deaver pleaded guilty to charge and completed a term of probation.

The second complaint, filed in the summer of 1978, alleged that Deaver had kicked Bockwith's Toyota repeatedly, causing minor damage, and when she asked him to pay for the repairs, he rammed his car into hers, struck her and tore a necklace off her throat. Charges were filed against Deaver in connection with the incident, but they were later dropped. Shortly afterwards, he went to Louisiana, and didn't return until shortly before Bockwith's disappearance.

Deaver and Bockwith began dating again after he moved back to Florida, something her parents didn't learn about until after she disappeared. He was still jealous and told Bockwith he would "slap her down" if he caught her with another man. Although her friends suggested he might have been involved in her disappearance, after she went missing he seemed very upset and helped Bockwith's family with the search.

Deaver was scheduled to take a lie detector test about Bockwith's disappearance with a private investigator on December 11, the day after her car was found. After he missed the appointment, Bockwith's brother went to his house and found him dead in the garage. He had shot himself to death. Deaver left a note for his mother which said nothing about Bockwith or her disappearance. It isn't clear whether he is considered a suspect in Bockwith's case.

It's completely uncharacteristic of Bockwith to leave without warning; her parents, whom she lived with, stated she always kept them informed of her plans. She was an honors student at the university, where she majored in accounting, and she had also worked for her parents' real estate company. At eighteen years old, she had been the youngest real estate agent in Florida history. She graduated from Escambia High School at age seventeen, enrolled at Pensacola Junior College, and transferred to the University of West Florida by the age of nineteen.

Investigators believe Bockwith is deceased. Her case remains unsolved.
Investigating Agency
  • Escambia County Sheriff's Office 850-436-9599
Source Information

I live in Pensacola and grew up on the 200 block of Greve road my brother and sisters as well as me knew barbara, although i was 9 when she went missing i remember she was always smiling. I find a few things that need clarification to me. I to believe Robert Deaver commited the crime but even though barbs car was found at the Airport in pensacola thats ten miles away from Navy point where Barbara as well as Deaver lived. so if he was home the morning the day after she was seen driving south at night there had to be a cab ride or someone he knew gave him a ride. even if you walked from the airport 10 miles is a long way to go , someone whould have seen you. if a cab company didnt pick you up did the local PD take a photo of Deaver after he commited suicide to any of the bars or the bowling alley close to the airport or asked if anyone had taken a cab from any bar in walking distance of the airport to or close to navy point or local bar in walking distance of navy point.??? if in fact he confronted her at UWF did he leave his car there did anyone check and see if anyone took a cab from the airport to UWF?? and what was actually in the letter he left his mother?? that was never released. This truly needs to be solved for Barbara and her family

Hello everyone,
For one - I really appreciate that this group exists and that people still care about the disappearance of my aunt, Barbara Ann Bockwith. My name is Barbara ASHLEY Bockwith and I am "the brother's" (Charlie Bockwith's) daughter.

I don't have much to add to the information that everyone has contributed here, however I can say that one of the theories that I have heard that hasn't been detailed in these posts is that Robert "Mac" Deaver's best friend at the time (unsure of his name...) his family owned much of the land that was later acquired by the University of West Florida and is now a part of their renowned nature trail. So, I have been told that they suspect her remains may be somewhere in the vastness of the UWF nature trails. I hope that one day she is recovered and peace can be brought to our family.

The very first day that I had class at UWF myself, it was a night class. I was completely fine - just reviewed the syllabus and all that lame first day of class stuff. I was walking to my car all alone in the dark and all of a sudden (I have never had anything remotely similar like this happen to me in my entire life) but a chill came over my body like a wave from my head to my toes and all of a sudden, I was crying hysterically. One second, I was fine, walking, probably looking at my phone, the next minute I'm covered in chill-bumps crying like someone died for no reason. I believe her to be my guardian angel and I think that was her way of I don't know exactly.. but letting me know she was there for me? That she had my back? It wasn't a scary presence, but it certainly was an unexplainable one.

I can also tell you that I, myself, have been told that we are very similar personalities - and I, myself, have had a few stalkers myself. I was told that at the time, restraining orders were not yet a thing and so she was unable to legally protect herself from the obvious threats and violence Mac had made apparent. This case drove my grandfather to the greatest sorrow you could ever imagine. I, unfortunately, never had the opportunity to meet him - but once he became sick with Parkinson's Disease - he had 0 fight in him to care to continue living. My grandmother was the strongest woman I ever met in my entire life and she was the rock to the family throughout that insanely difficult time.

I hope that with the forensic technologies there are today, that some how we may be able to proceed further in uncovering this cold case. I believe that there are still people out there to this day that know SOMETHING. Mac sounded like one hell of a crazy dude, but he (seemed) to have (somewhat) of a conscience considering he killed himself after helping my father and my family help to "look" for her. I believe he at least told SOMEONE SOMETHING, anything. And maybe someone will finally come forward with a tiny bit of information, or maybe someway, some how forensic science can play a role into finding out what happened to this beautiful woman.

Thank you all for caring. I wish I would've had the chance to know her. Please reach out to me should anyone ever gain any information as I would love to help in solving this cold case as well.

Sincerely,
The "other" Babs Bockwith <3

I have come across this match on sheer coincidence. While doing a write up on a missing girl named Barbara Bockwith I came across the term "Extensive Dental Work". This put my mind right into this case and I looked at all the other factors and they fit. Barbara has no DNA available which explains why there was no hit in the systems like CODIS. Barbara's distinctive features is not "None/No info entered", it's "Unknown" which leads me to believe she may have arthritis (Note that the arthritis is said as possible so the Doe may not have even had it) and a fractured clavicle. Not sure if location is a problem though as it is about 600 miles away. PMI is also off by a few years. Not a really perfect match but possible in my eyes.
12UFFL3.jpg

barbara_ann_bockwith_3.jpg

Here is the table:
Barbara Ann Bockwith MP22671Palm Beach Jane Doe (1987) UP1213Possible?
SexFemaleFemaleMatch
RaceWhite/CaucasianWhite/CaucasianMatch
Age2020-40Match
Height5'4"5'1"-5'6"Match
Weight115lbs90-130lbsMatch
Hair ColorBrownBrownMatch/Possible
Eye ColorBrownUnknownMatch/Possible
DLC/DODDecember 5, 19791984-1987Possible
Distinctive FeaturesUnknown (Had extensive dental work)Fractured left clavicle. (Had extensive dental work)Match/Possible
CircumstancesMissing from Pensacola.Found in Palm Beach.Possible
DistancePensacola-Palm Beach609 miles (8hr 50min)Possible
Let me know what you think!

The UWF student who went missing almost 45 years ago

After the exam began, classmates started to wonder where Bockwith was. She never missed a day of class; she had stellar attendance and was a straight-A student.

When the other students left, they had forgotten that she never turned up. It wasn’t until later that they learned that she never made it to her accounting exam or to her other classes.
*long well detailed UWF campus paper

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warmblanket
Back