Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” Jul'18 - Vance Rodriguez #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Is anybody else totally relieved he turned out to be exactly who he said he was??!! An IT guy living in NY, originally from Louisiana...
I always felt the story was going to be a lot more basic than some of the inane theories I saw posted.

Nobody knows why he went on walkabout and the cause of death is a mystery but based on the most recent Wired article I am convinced he died from refeeding disease after some episodes of "outages" where he was not eating enough. He was finally hungry or decided to eat and simply ate too much and died of electrolyte imbalance.

Rest peacefully, Denim.

Mysterious "Mostly Harmless" hiker identity solved
The mystery of the hiker known only by his trail name, "Mostly Harmless," has finally been solved - and he's connected to Lafayette.

Snip

"But the case was ultimately solved this month when a former coworker of Mr. Rodriguez saw his photo online and reached out to us after seeing a 2019 bulletin our agency issued. The coworker provided us with Mr. Rodriguez’ name and photos." The sheriff then reached out to Louisiana law enforcement, who found his family, and the family provided a DNA sample for comparison.
#more at link

Looking at ancestry his Birthday is 25th Of February and well..
24-25 Feb 2018 – A camper (BV) met him at Sand Pond Campground is in Pine Log State Forest, in Ebro, FL. He left from there headed for the FL trail. He told BV he had been staying with his sister in Sarasota or Ft. Myers, FL and started in that area. He also talked to BV about some health problems and needed/wanted to do this trip while he still could.

Also as an odd coincidence pointed out on Reddit, he was 42 when he died (The meaning of life to Non Douglas Adams fans) , he also passed exactly two years to the day prior to His grandfather 23rd Of July.

might he have had cancer or s recent bad health diagnosis? :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karen Simmons Guinn
Back