Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t read all the pages in this thread or Thread 1, so I’m sorry if this has been discussed, but “Bilemy” can be rearranged to say “by mile”. Seems interesting considering he was walking mile by mile on the AT.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t help solve a thing, but I wonder if he did that on purpose. He seemed to have a clever sense of humor.

I still think the name means nothing more than "been billin' me" or "Ben, bill-a-me". Tired of spending money at hostels, signing into yet another hostel and makes up a name for it. I can't recall the first hostel he used that name at, but I think a closer look should be taken at name lists in hostels prior to the first use of that name. JMO.
He uses several trail names. Denim when first on trail, which was a name given to him for wearing jeans on trail...which is a big no-no for experienced hikers...Then Mostly Harmless at some point, another trail name given at some point...He used Ben Bilemy independently only at Hostles (I believe not totally 100%).. It would be difficult to tell though. So many people drop in/out of the trail at various points. LE would have to follow up with so many people. A lot of people used their trail names on the registers and at the hostels. I know there is a "yearbook" For the A.T. but that is geared towards through hikers. If he only started at Bear MTN and not Maine then technically not a through hike..

Some Turks are olive and some are fair. I’m not saying he’s absolutely Turkish, just that he looks like someone I know who is Turkish and shares some of the same traits with him. FWIW quite a few of the Turkish men I know have blue/green eyes. Anyway, he’s probably not Turkish, but his resemblance to my former coworker jumped out at me instantly.

How close of a resemblance? Like a brother of..or cousin of..or Actually The former coworker? What kind of work? Do you still have a way of contacting the employer or employee?

I didn't review the rule out list yet for MH on NAMUS. Curious if the MPs ruled have their scars or tats on the same place? Such as all MPs have a scar or tat on the upper arm or, all on the calf, or all on their back etc? If so, we could deduce something from that of course. I'm working & don't have time to chk that.
I think its more the TEETH. They said Ben had perfect teeth, no tattoos and one faded scar on abdomen..So it the other have bridge work, missing teeth or other fillings and such they would be incredibly easy rule outs...My opinion though...they definetly mentioned the teeth of our guy..

I watched the Springer mountain video and a couple of things stood out to me. I dip tobacco and it really looked to me like he was dipping and spitting. This may be valuable information for profiling. Especially since it was said he had great teeth. Which is not normal of dippers. My teeth are still in good condition even though I dip because I was required to go to dental in the military. He almost seem to have the posture of a prior service individual, and it would make sense him being comfortable navigating the trails without GPS. Has anyone looked into prior military service? This is just a hypothesis.
On trail if you stop for 10 minutes people usually grab some trail mix, may be spitting seed or something else... Also the AT is well marked and maintained. It is not a far stretch to think if he had to trek alone a day or two he would not get lost with the markers..

I think a person with substantial weight loss would show clear signs at autopsy. Especially if he lost that weight in the previous year or 2. At his age I would expect to see stretch marks on his skin, sagging skin (depending on the amount of weight lost and length of time he spent as an obese man) Don't you all think? Did we have any information to believe he was incredibly obese or just 15lbs over weight? I believe there is a difference IMOO. I would tell ppl I just lost a lot of weight if I lost 15-20lbs & I'd go from a size 8/10 to a 2/4 done it before, thats huge to me. But other ppl hear that & think of weight loss of 80-100lbs. I'm just expecting MH wasn't reported missing at all yet. Or, he doesn't have much family. 1 day I will open thread and see his sister or cousin finally reported him missing. Maybe even an old gf wondering about him. The lineat scar on his chest? Could it be skin removal after weight loss?
Early in he made comments to someone about losing a significant amount of weight just prior to starting on The AT. I am sure there would be evidence of this in the autopsy. If it were a "body lift" or skin removal. It would be a "band" typr of scarring around the lower abdomen/waist. It would be obvious and significant as its usually a few pounds of skin that is removed and the inscision is pretty drastic.

How close of a resemblance? Like a brother of..or cousin of..or Actually The former coworker? What kind of work? Do you still have a way of contacting the employer or employee?

I strongly doubt they are related, they just have similar features, which I've seen in quite a few turkish men in my time. Unfortunately I did not keep in contact with my old coworker, who would probably brush me off anyway lol.

Cecil Whitt III

Couldn't find much on him--just a photo and date missing. Nothing in NamUs that I could find or anywhere else. Found what may have been his old FB page with one pic on it from 2012 and his linkedin profile with the pic below. Hairline seems to match, ears and eyes--although no color mentioned..has the crease between eyes as well. Lived in Weston WV but worked in Washingtonville PA area. He was last seen in late March/April 2017--His age may be 57
Cecil Whitt III has been reported as a missing person. Mr. Whit was last heard f... - Raleigh County Sheriff
https://www.linkedin.com/in/cecil-whitt-62667a71

Cecil whitt
leadman at Taggart Global
Weston, West Virginia
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
cecil-whitt-iii-has-been-reported-as-a-missing-person-mr-whit-was-last-heard-f.jpg

I see a similarity especially in the eyes, but the area of his face between mouth and chin seems much shorter and I don't think the ears are right. I hope this man was located - there's not much searchable on him.

Also, I stumbled across the picture today, and don’t recall ever seeing it before. Anyone else or am I out of the loop?

That photo doesn't look familiar to me and I've been watching his case from the start of the 1st thread. You can tell he was really getting skinny though - look at his arms and lower torso, despite the puffy coat, and how huge his hand seems in contrast. I wonder what the date of the photo is?

edited to respond to both quoted posts

Cecil Whitt III

Couldn't find much on him--just a photo and date missing. Nothing in NamUs that I could find or anywhere else. Found what may have been his old FB page with one pic on it from 2012 and his linkedin profile with the pic below. Hairline seems to match, ears and eyes--although no color mentioned..has the crease between eyes as well. Lived in Weston WV but worked in Washingtonville PA area. He was last seen in late March/April 2017--His age may be 57
Cecil Whitt III has been reported as a missing person. Mr. Whit was last heard f... - Raleigh County Sheriff

I found a post by his sister on FB dated May 28, 2017 that says that he is no longer missing, has made contact and is fine. Private fb page so I can't link it here.

One year ago, today... I wish there was more to say.

Bump for Ben Bilemy.

I continue to dig for any relevant information... and here are a few tidbits of info I found.

I heard the term 'anthropological autopsy' used and have been curious about Ben's. I had the opportunity to talk with someone who teaches criminal biology in Utah and has attended the Forensic Anthropology Research Facility at Texas State for continuing education courses. She had a lot of interesting things to say about Ben Bilemy. Here are the highlights in my own words.

Anthropological autopsies are helpful in identifying people and one current trend in the field is isotope analysis. In a nutshell, the elements on the periodic table occur in different forms called of isotopes. Human isotopes are kind of like rings on a tree or layers of a rock. They tell a story and kind of form a time line. For example, water in New York has a different Hydrogen isotope than water in London or Istanbul. So they look at these isotopes and try to figure out where a person spent their time. The first isotopes examined to determine the most recent location come from tartar on a person's teeth. It is her guess entirely that the tartar on his teeth indicates his most recent location of duration as New York, unless we saw another area of focus for possible identifucation in the news within the 6 months to one year range of being discovered.

Another thing she said is that due to the privacy laws in Florida and the inability to use DNA for a familial ID, our best hope for now is that the isotopes reveal something that helps identify his true origin. However, if he was ever found to have committed a crime, the way in which the privacy laws apply to him would change and DNA might actually be able to be used for identification after a legal process. So while I hope he isnt a criminal, if he was a criminal it sounds like less red tape for a DNA identification.

She also told me about how there are a number of disease processes that are often undetectable during autopsy where starvation becomes the final causative factor. Most of them were disorders that effect the brain or cardiovascular system... Lewy body disease, certain types of porphyria, certain types of seizure disorders another. She ran through a bunch but I cant remember them all.

Last, she said she might guess he never had a birth certificate or ID. There are a number of people in her state without birth certificates or state IDs and it has become harder for them to get by or maintain employment without one. She said they call them Lost Boys in Utah.

This last tidbit of info I was looking to see if anyone posted but have not found mention of it...Simon Jones who played Arthur Dent in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has been enlisted to help ID Ben Bilemy. Mr Jones has a rather large fan base since his role in Downton Abbey. Most of his fans appear to be older than Ben though, maybe his parents generation. Simon Jones lives in England.

That pic of Ben smiling has been here a long time. It's a good one.

Also, I stumbled across the picture today, and don’t recall ever seeing it before. Anyone else or am I out of the loop?

I have seen that one before. I believe that picture was taken in January 2018 just outside of Crestview, Florida. The Trail Angel that met him gave him the bag he is holding. I believe it was taken the same day as thru hike card photo:
hiker-found-dead-1534270919.jpg

Hiker found dead in Florida could be from New York

One year ago, today... I wish there was more to say.

Bump for Ben Bilemy.

I continue to dig for any relevant information... and here are a few tidbits of info I found.

I heard the term 'anthropological autopsy' used and have been curious about Ben's. I had the opportunity to talk with someone who teaches criminal biology in Utah and has attended the Forensic Anthropology Research Facility at Texas State for continuing education courses. She had a lot of interesting things to say about Ben Bilemy. Here are the highlights in my own words.

Anthropological autopsies are helpful in identifying people and one current trend in the field is isotope analysis. In a nutshell, the elements on the periodic table occur in different forms called of isotopes. Human isotopes are kind of like rings on a tree or layers of a rock. They tell a story and kind of form a time line. For example, water in New York has a different Hydrogen isotope than water in London or Istanbul. So they look at these isotopes and try to figure out where a person spent their time. The first isotopes examined to determine the most recent location come from tartar on a person's teeth. It is her guess entirely that the tartar on his teeth indicates his most recent location of duration as New York, unless we saw another area of focus for possible identifucation in the news within the 6 months to one year range of being discovered.

Another thing she said is that due to the privacy laws in Florida and the inability to use DNA for a familial ID, our best hope for now is that the isotopes reveal something that helps identify his true origin. However, if he was ever found to have committed a crime, the way in which the privacy laws apply to him would change and DNA might actually be able to be used for identification after a legal process. So while I hope he isnt a criminal, if he was a criminal it sounds like less red tape for a DNA identification.

She also told me about how there are a number of disease processes that are often undetectable during autopsy where starvation becomes the final causative factor. Most of them were disorders that effect the brain or cardiovascular system... Lewy body disease, certain types of porphyria, certain types of seizure disorders another. She ran through a bunch but I cant remember them all.

Last, she said she might guess he never had a birth certificate or ID. There are a number of people in her state without birth certificates or state IDs and it has become harder for them to get by or maintain employment without one. She said they call them Lost Boys in Utah.

This last tidbit of info I was looking to see if anyone posted but have not found mention of it...Simon Jones who played Arthur Dent in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has been enlisted to help ID Ben Bilemy. Mr Jones has a rather large fan base since his role in Downton Abbey. Most of his fans appear to be older than Ben though, maybe his parents generation. Simon Jones lives in England.

That pic of Ben smiling has been here a long time. It's a good one.

@EllieGato. This is a great post!

I found a post by his sister on FB dated May 28, 2017 that says that he is no longer missing, has made contact and is fine. Private fb page so I can't link it here.

Thank you CCJD...I guess I didn't find the sister that posted he was found. I did find one sister before I posted and only found where she had posted him missing (May 25, 2017) with no updates of him being found..

One year ago, today... I wish there was more to say...

<snipped for length>

I had the opportunity to talk with someone who teaches criminal biology in Utah and has attended the Forensic Anthropology Research Facility at Texas State for continuing education courses. She had a lot of interesting things to say about Ben Bilemy. Here are the highlights in my own words.
<snipped again for length>

There is one other thing I would like to add that she tried to explain to me. I really hope I understand this correctly...

She said Ben's DNA was taken and analyzed for sure. At last check for her on legalities in Florida, which was 2-3 years ago, DNA and privacy laws were something like this:

It would be perfectly legal to take and analyze Ben's DNA in Florida and check it against other DNA sent in for a match or a rule out. She was unsure about the legalities of releasing it to the actually missing person agencies themselves, but they were welcome to submit their own data for comparison. The big thing that Florida prohibits without a legal process, is turning that DNA over to an agency as in releasing it to others to compare for a familial ID. And again, a person convicted of a crime in Florida has less privacy rights than people who have not committed a crime.

I would deem this a starting point to do your own research if you are interested in this aspect. She said any updates to these laws can usually be found online.

Blaine Hector – The Charley Project

The pic isnt that great. When you look at other identifiers, theres the blue eyes, an abdomen scar...Then the circumstances. His prior experience with the National Guard, college education....there has been enough time to assume another identity and do some traveling anonymously
My initial thoughts are that Blaine is much too tall, since Mostly Harmless was only 5'8. But that doesn't rule him out completely, I've seen height estimates be way off before. Well, it never hurts to submit for comparison.

My initial thoughts are that Blaine is much too tall, since Mostly Harmless was only 5'8. But that doesn't rule him out completely, I've seen height estimates be way off before. Well, it never hurts to submit for comparison.

Posted it to Collier County S.O. just cause I can't shake some similarities..I am probably being sentimental as its been a year and little to no progress...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste