Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael Austin Davis – The Charley Project
michael_austin_davis_7 (1).jpg

• Missing Since 06/26/2007
  • Missing From Jacksonville, Florida
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 04/24/1981 (37)
  • Age26 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'7 - 5'8, 160 - 180 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description Unknown, but he usually wears baggy jeans and t-shirts or button-down shirts.
  • Medical Conditions Davis was depressed at the time of his disappearance and may have been suicidal.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes. Davis goes by his middle name, Austin. He has a scar on the right side of his face, about an inch long, that runs from his cheek to his lip. He also has facial dimples.
Details of Disappearance
Davis was last seen in Jacksonville, Florida on June 26, 2007. That day, he called his employer, Megabytes Computers, and said he was taking the day off to take care of some personal business. He took a taxicab away from his sister's home that morning.

The cab took him to Jax Jewelry and Pawn Shop, where he purchased a shotgun, put it in a duffel bag and left on foot. He left behind all his possessions, including his bookbag, laptop and a blank check from his father. He may have been carrying about $1,000 in cash on him when he disappeared.

Two weeks before he disappeared, Davis had been arrested and charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession and driving on a suspended license. His car was impounded and he was booked into jail for the night, then was bailed out by a relative. His license had been suspended for failure to pay traffic tickets.

He attempted to pay the tickets after he was released from jail, but had difficulty doing so because they had been issued in Tallahassee, Florida and he was without transportation. His loved ones believe he may have gotten a ride to Tallahassee with an unknown friend on the day of his disappearance.

Davis was upset and ashamed about being arrested. He spoke with some friends about getting medical attention for his depression.

On July 5, a witness reported seeing a man matching Davis's description at a car lot on U. S. 27. He asked for water, and said he had not eaten in two days. The witness gave him some food and water.

The man may have been hitchhiking and said he was trying to find a hospital or other facility to treat his depression. It has not been confirmed that this individual was Davis, however.

Davis is described as a kind, loving, well-mannered man who was close to his family in 2007. He is good with computers and enjoys fishing. His loved ones stated he smoked marijuana occasionally but did not use other illegal drugs.

There has been no activity on Davis's cellular phone or bank accounts since he went missing. His family fears he may have taken his own life. His disappearance remains unsolved.

This is so cool, thank you so much for sharing! I tried it out on two others. His beard was too much for the app to handle totally removing in the second, but you definitely get the point!

View attachment 177142 View attachment 177145

I know, it is pretty neat, but a bit creepy too. I think your version is better than mine! Yours makes him look even younger - 15 or 16ish.

Last edited:
One last long shot..... wanting to put the poster on community fb pages in towns around Bear Mtn. Most require living in the town in order to join. I did post his poster to the Highlands tourism page. I also messaged them to see if they can make it prominent and pass it around.
Life is crazy here right now. If anyone has time to make a list of towns/ communities in the Bear Mtn/ Highlands area I may be able to get back at the fb pages tonight.
It’s the only idea I have at this point.

View attachment 177259

• Age26 years old
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description Unknown, but he usually wears baggy jeans and t-shirts or button-down shirts.
  • Medical Conditions Davis was depressed at the time of his disappearance and may have been suicidal.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes. Davis goes by his middle name, Austin. He has a scar on the right side of his face, about an inch long, that runs from his cheek to his lip. He also has facial dimples.
Details of Disappearance
Davis was last seen in Jacksonville, Florida on June 26, 2007. That day, he called his employer, Megabytes Computers, and said he was taking the day off to take care of some personal business. He took a taxicab away from his sister's home that morning.

The cab took him to Jax Jewelry and Pawn Shop, where he purchased a shotgun, put it in a duffel bag and left on foot. He left behind all his possessions, including his bookbag, laptop and a blank check from his father. He may have been carrying about $1,000 in cash on him when he disappeared.

Two weeks before he disappeared, Davis had been arrested and charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession and driving on a suspended license. His car was impounded and he was booked into jail for the night, then was bailed out by a relative. His license had been suspended for failure to pay traffic tickets.

He attempted to pay the tickets after he was released from jail, but had difficulty doing so because they had been issued in Tallahassee, Florida and he was without transportation. His loved ones believe he may have gotten a ride to Tallahassee with an unknown friend on the day of his disappearance.

Davis was upset and ashamed about being arrested. He spoke with some friends about getting medical attention for his depression.

On July 5, a witness reported seeing a man matching Davis's description at a car lot on U. S. 27. He asked for water, and said he had not eaten in two days. The witness gave him some food and water.

The man may have been hitchhiking and said he was trying to find a hospital or other facility to treat his depression. It has not been confirmed that this individual was Davis, however.

Davis is described as a kind, loving, well-mannered man who was close to his family in 2007. He is good with computers and enjoys fishing. His loved ones stated he smoked marijuana occasionally but did not use other illegal drugs.

There has been no activity on Davis's cellular phone or bank accounts since he went missing. His family fears he may have taken his own life. His disappearance remains unsolved.

Wow, that really does sound like the profile of our guy, but I think the facial scar would rule him out.

View attachment 177259

• Age26 years old
Details of Disappearance

Wow, that really does sound like the profile of our guy, but I think the facial scar would rule him out.

I agree, the scar, plus the length of time he's been missing makes it a long shot. But there's a slight resemblance I think.20190331_095303.jpg

Another thought I had - I wonder if LE posted pics of his handwriting, it might be another way someone might remember him. They have numerous samples of his writing that could be shared with the public.

I really wish they would. I'm curious why they haven't. I asked if they would share the programming language he was writing in and never got a response. That would be extremely helpful information, as well.

I am thinking about the DNA thing, and I get the limitations as far as a crime not being involved, privacy limitations, exhausting other methods... But a few things stand out in my mind.

First, the MP's already ruled out, I assume that was based on dentals and autopsy info but not on DNA yet.
Next, there are at least 2 families, maybe more, waiting on an actual DNA comparisons to rule out or match their missing family member. So since there are families waiting to know, it seems the process here would get higher priority than those cases where nobody is waiting to know. And since the DNA is being processed for them, I have a hard time believing a judge wouldn't let that same DNA be used to identify a possible surname list or even an ancestor for MRCA.
Third, there was also an anthropological autopsy, which includes the science of testing for markers that show where a person spent a good deal of their time. The podcast mentions there was an anthropological autopsy done but doesn't detail how in depth it was.

The re-release on the news in New York made me think that the anthropological autopsy confirmed the location of Northeastern US or Central Eastern North America, but did not confirm the location of a gulf state like Louisianna. All just speculation on my part.

Since yall are tossing around more MPs I will add a couple. They are both parental abductions.

The first is Adam O'Brien. He is the oldest of 3 brothers, and seems to fit ok.
His story is here:
Disappearance of Adam, Trevor, and Mitchell O'Brien - Wikipedia

His mom thinks they have been raised in a commune. Adam could have gotten fed up and left after 20 years of hiding out.

Attachments

• 20190331_171201.jpg
    20190331_171201.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 65
Ok I lost the second parental abduction and will have to find it again, but here is one more MP. If I had to take a wild guess I would guess this is one they are comparing DNA to. It's a non parental abduction. The kid had grey eyes. These are 2 age progressed representations of the same kid. Jeffrey's story is here:
The Doe Network: Case File 117DMAB

He has a thread here too.

Attachments

• 20190331_171138.jpg
    20190331_171138.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 56
Ok I lost the second parental abduction and will have to find it again, but here is one more MP. If I had to take a wild guess I would guess this is one they are comparing DNA to. It's a non parental abduction. The kid had grey eyes. These are 2 age progressed representations of the same kid. Jeffrey's story is here:
The Doe Network: Case File 117DMAB

He has a thread here too.
I wonder if the flat feet/orthopedic shoes rule this one out. AT is not an easy hike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme