Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
His nose looks different in this video than it does in the face-on photos. Very distinctive.
Agreed! His profile is different...

That just reminded me, I was going over some of the old Facebook posts and other places where he’s been discussed and I noticed a comment that was unusual. I’ll have to go back and find it, but under one of his photos (IIRC it was the one initially released, the artists’ rendering) someone wrote “he sure did like his button up shirts”, something to that effect. And if you notice in that photo the Sheriffs Office released in the beginning, he is wearing a white button up shirt! I don’t know what to make of that... I’m going to see if I can find that comment

That just reminded me, I was going over some of the old Facebook posts and other places where he’s been discussed and I noticed a comment that was unusual. I’ll have to go back and find it, but under one of his photos (IIRC it was the one initially released, the artists’ rendering) someone wrote “he sure did like his button up shirts”, something to that effect. And if you notice in that photo the Sheriffs Office released in the beginning, he is wearing a white button up shirt! I don’t know what to make of that... I’m going to see if I can find that comment

Possibly they just meant that it's unusual for a hiker to be wearing a button-down shirt. Though that is an odd comment.

Polo shirt and denim -- unusual attire for a thru-hiker, so where is this usual?

Okay, college campuses in the 1980's yep been there worn that you betcha:

business-casual-attire-2061335-final-5bc641a9c9e77c005143e687.png

Learn the Difference Between Business Casual and Business Attire

Just a snapshot from the video posted above. It looks like he has a little overbite...and maybe even a small gap between his teeth in the back. Or am I the only one seeing that.

View attachment 219588
Perfect capture! That’s what I was referring to upthread when I mentioned him chewing tobacco... I couldn’t describe the “lip bulge”, but you captured it!

The video was captured by another hiker’s GoPro camera... Collier County Sheriff’s Office released it on their Facebook page -

Where and when was this video taken? BB is already a lot thinner in this video... and there's another photo of him where he looks very ill. I wonder if taken around same time? Or close to the day his body was found?

Edit: grammar

Perfect capture! That’s what I was referring to upthread when I mentioned him chewing tobacco... I couldn’t describe the “lip bulge”, but you captured it!
Someone in the FB comments mentioned he could be chewing and spitting out seeds. I do think this is more plausible given his perfect teeth.

Someone in the FB comments mentioned he could be chewing and spitting out seeds. I do think this is more plausible given his perfect teeth.

Could be....the country I know eating seeds (sunflower) is Turkey.....but there are probably people who have seen more....I think shewing tobacco would have stained his teeth and yellowed his beard.

Could be....the country I know eating seeds (sunflower) is Turkey.....but there are probably people who have seen more....I think shewing tobacco would have stained his teeth and yellowed his beard.
Sunflower seeds are a very popular snack here in the US. We had to ban them from my office because my coworkers were spitting into cups all day :D

Sunflower seeds are a very popular snack here in the US. We had to ban them from my office because my coworkers were spitting into cups all day :D

Hahahaha...oké! I like sunflower and other seeds...but no way this would be allowed at my work and we kind of free....in Dutch we would say "Gatver"....people spitting all day in cups....

Last edited:
Where and when was this video taken? BB is already a lot thinner in this video... and there's another photo of him where he looks very ill. I wonder if taken around same time? Or close to the day his body was found?

Edit: grammar

The GoPro video was taken in early Dec 2017 on Springer Mountain, in Georgia. It is close to the end of his hike on the Appalachian Trail but many months before his death. He was very skinny in all of his photos IMO.

ETA: this photo was taken within days of the Go Pro video:
cops-trying-to-id-hiker1.jpg

https://nypost.com/2018/08/14/cops-struggling-to-identify-dead-hiker-with-perfect-teeth/

The puffy coat and beard and no other person in the photo make him look bigger than he was IMO.

The photo of him holding maps up (center photo below) which is one of the most circulated photos in MSM was taken at Mountain Crossings, a hiker store/hostel in GA, on Dec 2nd, 2017. The photo in the bottom row, center column where he has his treking poles out is on Springer Mountain on Dec 4th, 2017. It's basically the end of his hike on the AT. He was planning to hike the Pinhoti Trail in Georgia and Alabama and then on to the Florida Trail next. I believe that the GoPro video was taken some time between those two photos as it was labeled as being on or near Springer Mountain. MOO.
Original

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Houndgirl2003