Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
His game mechanics and variables have a lot in common with the "Big Ideas, Grand Vision" (BIGV) roleplaying game developed in 1999 by Anders Sandberg (Swedish computational neuroscientist at Oxford).

The Game Master guide for BIGV is archived here in pdf form on Sandberg's website.

Of note are the following references:
-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy quote (p. 5)
-Roach Motel (p. 151)
-nanites (p. 18-20, 24, 95, 115, 117-118, 128, 157, 161)
-protein intake (p. 34)
-algae (p. 11, 13, 47, 55, 195)
-different flavors of fruits (p. 45)
-mining (p. 168-169)
-empires (too numerous to list, but see entry & diagram on p. 21 as food for thought)

Of course, these themes are quite common in roleplaying environments and worldbuilding communities, but something about Sandberg's transhumanism (I've encountered his ideas in his academic work IRL) strikes me as familiar when I read MH's notebook.

Was Steve Gardin ever ruled out...because this picture make me think of him....again....CANADA - Steve Gardin, 40, North Vancouver (BC), Lynn Canyon Park, October 19, 2016

As far as I can tell, another Canadian man with a different spelling, who is slightly older, StePHen Gardin, was found. I can find nothing to indicate that SteVen Garden has been seen since he was camping in 2016 in British Columbia. However, I also can't find him on any missing lists past about 2017. Possibly someone else can refresh my memory as to the FL police's response to that suggestion? I think they indicated they had somehow been eliminated. I've never seen anyone else with such a close resemblance, and the circumstances are also very compatible--Steve had wandered the world for years.

Edit: I saw that someone stating they are a relative of Steven is posting in his missing thread, indicating he has still not been found. CANADA - Steve Gardin, 40, North Vancouver (BC), Lynn Canyon Park, October 19, 2016

As far as I can tell, another Canadian man with a different spelling, who is slightly older, StePHen Gardin, was found. I can find nothing to indicate that SteVen Garden has been seen since he was camping in 2016 in British Columbia. However, I also can't find him on any missing lists past about 2017. Possibly someone else can refresh my memory as to the FL police's response to that suggestion? I think they indicated they had somehow been eliminated. I've never seen anyone else with such a close resemblance, and the circumstances are also very compatible--Steve had wandered the world for years.

Edit: I saw that someone stating they are a relative of Steven is posting in his missing thread, indicating he has still not been found. CANADA - Steve Gardin, 40, North Vancouver (BC), Lynn Canyon Park, October 19, 2016
IMO there is no resemblance between Steven and MH. Steven was an experienced hiker/camper as well, and we know MH was NOT when he started on the trail.
1048335_10152980678755257_1176171433_o.jpg

Thank you @Nancy Drew RN. It is correct that Steven Gardin is still missing and that the other one, Stephen Gardin, an older guy with gray hair, is found. According to Steve Gardin's niece "Ben" is not her nephew.

Agreed. I grew up in the area, so I have Facebook friends in common with the author. Small world.

No brother listed in the mother's obit, but her father is listed as a Sr., implying there was once a male descendant.

As others have mentioned, maybe MH wasn’t being completely honest with the sister aspect of the story. Maybe an ex wife or girlfriend...?
Also curious about the author’s last name and whether it is a pen name

I'll apologize in advance if I make observations previously posted here, but I wanted to attempt a clean read of the notebooks. I'm a historian and spent most of my Phd deciphering handwritten documents and have some experience with programming and software design.

Caution: this has become a long post.

I wanted to jot some things down here that struck me after reading the notebooks.
  1. I think MH has a reasonably high degree of formal education. He writes with intention, is well-organized, and rarely makes spelling/grammatical errors, even when writing a.) in small flip books b.) in pen, c.) in what I assume were less-than-pleasant writing conditions along the trails. I do not assume this formal education to be in the field of computer science or engineering, as he could be self-taught in those fields.
  2. He might be a foreign national, but based on his word choices, I'd wager he spent his formative years in the US. First, he doesn't display any hallmarks of post-adolescent ESL training. Second, he uses US spelling conventions for words like center, color, defensive, fiber, etc. I think the words "defensive" and "fiber" are most important here, as they are words that do not have a codified spelling to which programmers/coders would become accustomed. In other words, the vast majority (there are exceptions) of programming languages utilize English and adhere to US spelling conventions.
  3. He has considerable experience with multiplayer roleplaying games, either in their online form or with in-person gaming. MH is absolutely known to others, as--by their very nature--these games are multiplayer. If he only engaged in online gaming, his former gaming partners might not ever be able to recognize his face. His explanatory sections lead me to believe that he would have been more comfortable as a player rather than a game master; he's focused on worldbuilding processes (the code) rather than worldbuilding narratives (the player classes in the flip-top notebook).
  4. The ordering of his notebook suggests that he has significant experience with web application architecture and IPsec. He's building his application in layers, one of which is a dedicated BLL (business logic layer) that follows this system of construction. He's also concerned about server security and he's knowledgable about blockchain...which seems overly complicated a protocol for the server he's intending to build. I can only find one guy who has blogged about using blockchain w/ Screeps...and his purpose is wholly different.
  5. His code is written in long-form Javascript, meaning he goes the long way around in places where he could rely on more concise language. That he's doing all of this from memory and without hesitation marks (no mid-code asides indicating he'll need to look something up or return to edit) suggest he's considerably adept at this language (JS) and its underlying logic.
  6. He seems to be right-handed given how closely he begins his lettering to the left margin. His writing also is incredibly clear, which is not what I would expect from someone writing in an inward-facing/self-referential manner. For example, he's fastidious in marking his zeros with a slash so as to not confuse them with the letter "o". This leads me to believe he a.) intended to compile his code or pass it along to someone to compile, and/or b.) was incredibly meticulous in his former roles as developer/project manager.

Thoughts after examining the timeline:

• He had become highly proficient in a gaming logic/language in a.) a little over two years (~Dec. 2015 [Screeps goes public] to April 2017 [hiking begins]), b.) in six months (we lose him May 2018 to July 2018), or c.) a combination of the both. Any way you cut it, his pace is fast and his engagement frequent enough to warrant him coding from memory.
  • As such, he would absolutely have left a digital trail either through downloading a pre-compiled version of Screeps, commenting on/contributing/forking its code repository on GitHub, or showing up as a registered player in the public rankings.
  • Let's say he doesn't show up when we look at that the digital trail, what then? Well, I'd suggest we look at the negative space, or what no longer exists. As we say in history, the absence is something does not mean the non-existence of something...it can be quite the opposite! For example, if he engaged at one point online but then deleted all his accounts for forums (shows on reddit, for example, as [deleted]), he wouldn't have also been able to delete replies to his posts or comments. So can we find inactive or deleted users, or find comments made by still existing users that seem to be replying to someone? A GitHub profile like this one, who engaged quite often with the repository in early 2017, then only periodically checked in to tweak some code in later months (including a spurt in August 2017), then disappears completely.
Remaining questions about the code/notes (I'll save my longer list for another day):
  • How certain can we be that his notes were written along the trail? Could he have lived somewhere with computer access in the summer months of 2018 where we lose sight of him? Could this explain why his code is relatively free of edits/omissions?
  • How many blank pages were left in the notebook(s)? Did he tear a bunch out? Which notebook was written in first: the flip-top or the side spiral?
  • What do the fronts of the notebooks look like? Particular brand? Did he write in these same notebooks along the entire AT or pick them up in Florida? If he had different notebooks on the AT, where are those?
  • How did he keep the notebooks dry? Ziplock bag? Were they well protected and cared for (invested in the project's completion?) or were they just shoved inside his pack (distraction to keep his mind busy like a crossword)?
  • Did he pop into a public library along any of his routes in order to look up some of the dimensions/attributes necessary for this code?
  • Could the hosts of the Screeps public servers check their logs to see if anyone visited from a Florida IP during his missing months, or if a regular user disappeared in March/April 2017?

As others have mentioned, maybe MH wasn’t being completely honest with the sister aspect of the story. Maybe an ex wife or girlfriend...?
Also curious about the author’s last name and whether it is a pen name
It does appear to be a pen name (went down many a rabbit hole last night ;)).

Go to the website linked below, and click on the link to the author’s Facebook page:
J.S. Graydon, Author | Books | Series | Interview | Deals | Newsletter | Contact | Site | AllAuthor
Check out her Friends list :).

There is a clue as to her first name in this Naples Daily News article also:
Local Author Makes Good

I'll apologize in advance if I make observations previously posted here, but I wanted to attempt a clean read of the notebooks. I'm a historian and spent most of my Phd deciphering handwritten documents and have some experience with programming and software design.

I wanted to jot some things down here that struck me after reading the notebooks.
  1. I think MH has a reasonably high degree of formal education. He writes with intention, is well-organized, and rarely makes spelling/grammatical errors, even when writing a.) in small flip books b.) in pen, c.) in what I assume were less-than-pleasant writing conditions along the trails. I do not assume this formal education to be in the field of computer science or engineering, as he could be self-taught in those fields.
  2. He might be a foreign national, but based on his word choices, I'd wager he spent his formative years in the US. First, he doesn't display any hallmarks of post-adolescent ESL training. Second, he uses US spelling conventions for words like center, color, defensive, fiber, etc. I think the words "defensive" and "fiber" are most important here, as they are words that do not have a codified spelling to which programmers/coders would become accustomed. In other words, the vast majority (there are exceptions) of programming languages utilize English and adhere to US spelling conventions.
  3. He has considerable experience with multiplayer roleplaying games, either in their online form or with in-person gaming. MH is absolutely known to others, as--by their very nature--these games are multiplayer. If he only engaged in online gaming, his former gaming partners might not ever be able to recognize his face. His explanatory sections lead me to believe that he would have been more comfortable as a player rather than a game master; he's focused on worldbuilding processes (the code) rather than worldbuilding narratives (the player classes in the flip-top notebook).
  4. The ordering of his notebook suggests that he has significant experience with web application architecture and IPsec. He's building his application in layers, one of which is a dedicated BLL (business logic layer) that follows this system of construction. He's also concerned about server security and he's knowledgable about blockchain...which seems overly complicated a protocol for the server he's intending to build. I can only find one guy who has blogged about using blockchain w/ Screeps...and his purpose is wholly different.
  5. His code is written in long-form Javascript, meaning he goes the long way around in places where he could rely on more concise language. That he's doing all of this from memory and without hesitation marks (no mid-code asides indicating he'll need to look something up or return to edit) suggest he's considerably adept at this language (JS) and its underlying logic.
  6. He seems to be right-handed given how closely he begins his lettering to the left margin. His writing also is incredibly clear, which is not what I would expect from someone writing in an inward-facing/self-referential manner. For example, he's fastidious in marking his zeros with a slash so as to not confuse them with the letter "o". This leads me to believe he a.) intended to compile his code or pass it along to someone to compile, and/or b.) was incredibly meticulous in his former roles as developer/project manager.

• He had become highly proficient in a gaming logic/language in a.) a little over two years (~Dec. 2015 [Screeps goes public] to April 2017 [hiking begins]), b.) in six months (we lose him May 2018 to July 2018), or c.) a combination of the both. Any way you cut it, his pace is fast and his engagement frequent enough to warrant him coding from memory.
  • As such, he would absolutely have left a digital trail either through downloading a pre-compiled version of Screeps, commenting on/contributing/forking its code repository on GitHub, or showing up as a registered player in the public rankings.
  • Let's say he doesn't show up when we look at that the digital trail, what then? Well, I'd suggest we look at the negative space, or what no longer exists. As we say in history, the absence is something does not mean the non-existence of something...it can be quite the opposite! For example, if he engaged at one point online but then deleted all his accounts for forums (shows on reddit, for example, as [deleted]), he wouldn't have also been able to delete replies to his posts or comments. So can we find inactive or deleted users, or find comments made by still existing users that seem to be replying to someone? A GitHub profile like this one, who engaged quite often with the repository in early 2017, then only periodically checked in to tweak some code in later months (including a spurt in August 2017), then disappears completely.
Remaining questions about the code/notes (I'll save my longer list for another day):
  • How certain can we be that his notes were written along the trail? Could he have lived somewhere with computer access in the summer months of 2018 where we lose sight of him? Could this explain why his code is relatively free of edits/omissions?
  • How many blank pages were left in the notebook(s)? Did he tear a bunch out? Which notebook was written in first: the flip-top or the side spiral?
  • What do the fronts of the notebooks look like? Particular brand? Did he write in these same notebooks along the entire AT or pick them up in Florida? If he had different notebooks on the AT, where are those?
  • How did he keep the notebooks dry? Ziplock bag? Were they well protected and cared for (invested in the project's completion?) or were they just shoved inside his pack (distraction to keep his mind busy like a crossword)?
  • Did he pop into a public library along any of his routes in order to look up some of the dimensions/attributes necessary for this code?
  • Could the hosts of the Screeps public servers check their logs to see if anyone visited from a Florida IP during his missing months, or if a regular user disappeared in March/April 2017?
Oh my gosh, this is amazing. It all makes sense. Thank you so much for working so hard and sharing. Please stay with us :)!

Any thoughts, @Narkj?

Go to the website linked below, and click on the link to the author’s Facebook page:
J.S. Graydon, Author | Books | Series | Interview | Deals | Newsletter | Contact | Site | AllAuthor

Local Author Makes Good
Probably the same rabbit holes I went down. I'm surprised I didn't run into you in the tunnels.

I did not find any missing persons in the family though.

Local Author Makes Good
Her name is Jane Samantha Strong. The Graydon part I am not sure of - could be a pen-surname, but I personally think it is her married name. Her name is sometimes seen as Jane S. Strong, and other times Jane Strong-Graydon. And she has a sister and father, mother is deceased. Someone here mentioned her Mom's obit referring to her husband as a Sr. and assuming that meant there was also a son, Jr. I'm not sure what obit this was, as the obit I found only mentioned the husband by first name and the 2 daughters.

Do some of you think there is a connection between MH and this family?

Last edited:
Her name is Jane Samantha Strong. The Graydon part I am not sure of - could be a pen-surname, or perhaps a married name. Her name is sometimes seen as Jane S. Strong, and other times Jane Strong-Graydon. And she has a sister and father, mother is deceased. Someone here mentioned her Mom's obit referring to her husband as a Sr. and assuming that meant there was also a son, Jr. Im not sure what obit this was, as the obit I found only mentioned the husband by first name and the 2 daughters.

Do some of you think there is a connection between MH and this family?

I don't know. That quote from the character in her book named Ben Bellamy about camping in place of his brother was...intriguing to say the least.

Rav, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen these same things in a FB Group. Where is this couple from Louisiana? Where is the link to the blog? Also, in this graph, I don’t know what you’re talking about: when did he go on a computer? how would you know he went online? Is that just speculation?
  • “Talking about his notebooks
    March 27th, 2018, so Mr. Mostly Harmless went online somewhere somehow to read the announcement after it's published. At least, this is my only idea about the sentence in 4-2
    Talking about the Screeps games staying at 1,500 not changing to 3,000 as Ben had written previously”

Very interesting observations and content. Thanks for taking the time to post.

I don't know. That quote from the character in her book named Ben Bellamy about camping in place of his brother was...intriguing to say the least.

Benjnorris

J.S. answered Benjnorris's question:
What was your inspiration for this book? :)

"The main character for this book was based on my cousin (who is also called Ben). The original inspiration for the main story line came from a dream which I wrote down. It was such a great dream that I actually drew a picture of the house in the large tree (which would eventually become Ronan's house in the book). Thanks for asking :)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman