Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez#4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think because of his emaciation the watch would have fallen off. It is probably inventoried with the contents of the tent.

I'm surprised that there weren't any pics with the inventory spread out on sheets. I feel like you usually see this documented in cases like this. If there were please ignore this - I didn't get to see the pics that were released.

I'm surprised that there weren't any pics with the inventory spread out on sheets. I feel like you usually see this documented in cases like this. If there were please ignore this - I didn't get to see the pics that were released.
There are a few pics of items found on him such as 1/40th of the money and some coins but only a few items of the 100 or so he must have had.

I have looked at a form where he printed Ben Bilemy and Denim. The 2 B's and D all start at the top hooking down then coming back up. The only one that doesn't seem to do that is the second B in the signature but Ben ends the "n" at the bottom so he's already there to do the next B in a signature way. That isn't necessarily odd. In the printing his letters are all consistent. So, no, I still disagree with you two on the signature. Firstly, he's consistent in his printing which means it's highly likely to be his regular printing. He prints his B's similar to the signature but more embellished as one would expect. That hook on the first signature B is how he does his capitals B and D so I haven't then heard a reason showing he made a mistake between real and alias or hadn't used that Ben Bilemy signature in the past, even before the hiking.

There are four 'B's" in the two forms of his written name. Two are printed and and two are written.

Follow with me, kids! Use your finger to air draw the letter "B" following the instructions below:

In three out of four 'B's" the writer starts at the top of the letter following a downward stroke, returns to top of the letter following the same line then starts the upward arc of the top loop part of the letter 'B". He follows the traditional way of forming the letter "B" touching the vertical somewhere in the middle before starting the second loop ending near the vertical double line at the bottom. However, in three of the second loop portions of the letter "B" the writer ends below the upright part of the beginning part of the letter.

In the first "B" of his written signature the writer does not follow that pattern. He starts the letter midway between the vertical upright creating a 'tail' before starting the rest of the letter. However, when he starts the arc for the upper loop of the letter "B" he actually comes back down vertically. Blowing up the image of the first written 'B' of his signature it appears like he retraced the arc creating that little tiny loop barely visible.

Any way that's my interpretation of why I think he unconsciously started writing another letter before recovering. Whatever letter he was writing, I don't think it was a 'B' based on the formation of the other three letters.

I've found over time, individuals who write traditional cursive tend to blend both printed and written letters in their signature.

Edited to add: sorry folks, for some reason my inserts of blow ups of signatures aren't uploading. You can find the originals on post #490 by Coffee56.

Last edited:
He definitely died of starvation. It's the underlying cause that was undetermined. I still think he probably had some kind of motor neuron disease which can be hard to diagnose even when a subject is still living. Usually, doctors come to a diagnosis through the process of elimination.

Based on what I've read about motor neuron diseases, I'm leaning toward Kennedy's disease. His DNA will identify it. One of the characteristics of KD is shrinking testicles which was noted on the AR.

I think you’re on the right track here, along with @moodleman who suggested Type 1 diabetes. I am a physical therapist and have worked with two men with Kennedy’s Disease in my career. Typically speech would be noticeably affected for a very long time, at least 6 months to 1 year or more. It is very unlikely (IMO) he could hike 10 miles/day and then so rapidly decline to death from Kennedy’s. Men (I believe women are only carriers) typically live to be elderly before succumbing to Kennedy’s, as it does not shorten life expectancy.
But as you and others noted, these types of diseases are often misdiagnosed in life, and would be virtually impossible to diagnose 2-3 days after death with decomposition (although I do not pretend to be a forensic pathologist, by any means). Even if we learn his identity, unless he told someone his diagnosis, we will likely never know.
I do think disease is much more likely than animal bite, ingesting plants or tainted water, or even eating disorder leading to fairly quick starvation. I believe if he had a long-standing eating disorder, he would show much more chronic damage to his body. I have reviewed the postmortem reports and I have no reason to think the ME would ignore significant chronic organ damage or even damage to his teeth from chronic malnutrition. Although he was reported to eat candy frequently, so he obviously had exceptional teeth.
My personal guess would be Guillain-Barré syndrome. I have had patients catch a minor cold, develop Guillain-Barré and become paralyzed on a ventilator within days. It can also progress more slowly, allowing for extreme weight loss before full paralysis. Without treatment, it would very likely be fatal and he would not be able to call for help easily (extreme weakness of respiratory and muscles of speech). I cannot imagine (again, IMO) the ME did nerve studies of our hiker’s myelin, if that is even possible after decomposition. It makes me incredibly sad to think of the manner in which he died alone, no matter the cause.

I think you’re on the right track here, along with @moodleman who suggested Type 1 diabetes. I am a physical therapist and have worked with two men with Kennedy’s Disease in my career. Typically speech would be noticeably affected for a very long time, at least 6 months to 1 year or more. It is very unlikely (IMO) he could hike 10 miles/day and then so rapidly decline to death from Kennedy’s. Men (I believe women are only carriers) typically live to be elderly before succumbing to Kennedy’s, as it does not shorten life expectancy.
But as you and others noted, these types of diseases are often misdiagnosed in life, and would be virtually impossible to diagnose 2-3 days after death with decomposition (although I do not pretend to be a forensic pathologist, by any means). Even if we learn his identity, unless he told someone his diagnosis, we will likely never know.
I do think disease is much more likely than animal bite, ingesting plants or tainted water, or even eating disorder leading to fairly quick starvation. I believe if he had a long-standing eating disorder, he would show much more chronic damage to his body. I have reviewed the postmortem reports and I have no reason to think the ME would ignore significant chronic organ damage or even damage to his teeth from chronic malnutrition. Although he was reported to eat candy frequently, so he obviously had exceptional teeth.
My personal guess would be Guillain-Barré syndrome. I have had patients catch a minor cold, develop Guillain-Barré and become paralyzed on a ventilator within days. It can also progress more slowly, allowing for extreme weight loss before full paralysis. Without treatment, it would very likely be fatal and he would not be able to call for help easily (extreme weakness of respiratory and muscles of speech). I cannot imagine (again, IMO) the ME did nerve studies of our hiker’s myelin, if that is even possible after decomposition. It makes me incredibly sad to think of the manner in which he died alone, no matter the cause.

Interesting about Guillain-Barré! I think the only thing that keeps me (and perhaps others) from fully jumping on the intense illness theory is that he was clearly eating and drinking before he died. The water would have had to have been filtered, therefore he had some ability to filter water from the nearby pond, with his water filtration cannister/container. This seems to suggest he was ambulatory, thus had the ability to call for help/contact other hikers. Although none of this really matters in terms of his identification and we'll likely never know the answer.

This one really bothers me. Sorry if this has been previously mentioned (lots to read through and just talking out loud) but I read his autopsy and saw the pronounced Cachexia.
While it wasn’t announced on his autopsy, Cachexia is commonly caused by cancer, congestive heart failure, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, chronic kidney disease and AIDS. I feel like these are big ones and would have been included in the autopsy if found?
Then the note on the discoloration of his genitals, if it wasn’t caused by decomposition, could he have had penile cancer?

Again, just speaking out loud. This case just bothers me. :(

This one really bothers me. Sorry if this has been previously mentioned (lots to read through and just talking out loud) but I read his autopsy and saw the pronounced Cachexia.
While it wasn’t announced on his autopsy, Cachexia is commonly caused by cancer, congestive heart failure, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, chronic kidney disease and AIDS. I feel like these are big ones and would have been included in the autopsy if found?
Then the note on the discoloration of his genitals, if it wasn’t caused by decomposition, could he have had penile cancer?

Again, just speaking out loud. This case just bothers me. :(
He was scratching his groin area, so much so he soaked his underwear with blood. A lot of blood. ME described it as "abrasions" IIRC.

Interesting about Guillain-Barré! I think the only thing that keeps me (and perhaps others) from fully jumping on the intense illness theory is that he was clearly eating and drinking before he died. The water would have had to have been filtered, therefore he had some ability to filter water from the nearby pond, with his water filtration cannister/container. This seems to suggest he was ambulatory, thus had the ability to call for help/contact other hikers. Although none of this really matters in terms of his identification and we'll likely never know the answer.
I agree. He was moving a little. Getting water, and eating what he had.

I don't think it was neurological at all, I think it was psychological. An eating disorder or mania.

There are four 'B's" in the two forms of his written name. Two are printed and and two are written.

Follow with me, kids! Use your finger to air draw the letter "B" following the instructions below:

In three out of four 'B's" the writer starts at the top of the letter following a downward stroke, returns to top of the letter following the same line then starts the upward arc of the top loop part of the letter 'B". He follows the traditional way of forming the letter "B" touching the vertical somewhere in the middle before starting the second loop ending near the vertical double line at the bottom. However, in three of the second loop portions of the letter "B" the writer ends below the upright part of the beginning part of the letter.

In the first "B" of his written signature the writer does not follow that pattern. He starts the letter midway between the vertical upright creating a 'tail' before starting the rest of the letter. However, when he starts the arc for the upper loop of the letter "B" he actually comes back down vertically. Blowing up the image of the first written 'B' of his signature it appears like he retraced the arc creating that little tiny loop barely visible.

Any way that's my interpretation of why I think he unconsciously started writing another letter before recovering. Whatever letter he was writing, I don't think it was a 'B' based on the formation of the other three letters.

I've found over time, individuals who write traditional cursive tend to blend both printed and written letters in their signature.

Edited to add: sorry folks, for some reason my inserts of blow ups of signatures aren't uploading. You can find the originals on post #490 by Coffee56.
I understood and have the same documents when I commented before. It's a signature so he starts with an exaggerated tick at the beginning. That first signature B is doubled on the vertical part on all 4. I believe the second printed B has a tiny tick and the D definitely does. He is not precise on how far he brings the vertical line down on any of the 4 Bs. In the printed ones, the first is shorter and the second comes down close to the second curve ending. In the signature, the first comes down all the way and the second does not but both of their second curves don't get close. We can agree to disagree on this one ;) I think the more unusual and telling part of the signature could be the second half of the Bilemy.

I'm now looking into his notes from the original pdf scans. This guy is organized and he knows his stuff. The first page of the big notebook is a table of contents. This is what it says...

1. p2p.bak
2. BLL
3. Balanced Nutri?n Foods -- seems to be one unknown letter, it does not say nutrition!
4. Screeps
5. 3s Algae Pool (area)
6. 3s Roach Motel (area / ?guest?)
7. 3s Nanites Guild
8. 3s P?a??? Stock Market - Player with a smudged y and e?

He actually has a section for Screeps so there should be no question now that some of the writings, as I and several other computer experts have said were for Screeps.

On subsequent pages is exactly what the table of contents says.

1. p2p.bak - p2p means peer to peer networking. The next 4 pages are numbered 1-1, 1-2, 1-3 and 1.4. Their contents is networking keywords, code and writings. He is not new to the underlying workings of networking! I'm not talking your typical admin guy either. I'm talking low level design and coding to control networking communication. There are only 4 pages to 1 then the next page is 2-1

2. BLL - not sure what this is but seems backups and such. Only 1 page then 3-1.

3. Balanced Nutri?n Foods - it looks like Nutrign but I don't know and can't find in search any foods named that. Maybe short for Nutrigain? Maybe someone else can shed some light on that. That is 3-1 and 3-2 and about nutritional food bars. Fiber is how Americans spell it and the rest of English tends to spell it fibre. He spells it like an American. He also writes center, not centre. This would imply he's American. Some might say well, d'uh, but there have been thoughts of him being from another country. Interesting though, he seems to use grams mainly and puts beside it the ounces in brackets. Maybe that's how his brand of bars is marked. There are no other pages for 3 and it moves on next to 4-1.

4. Screeps - 4-1 to 4-15 is Screeps. 7-1 is right after 4-15

5. Nothing

6. Nothing

7. 3s Nanites Guild - 7-1 to 7-7 is definitely Nanites Guild. The first word of 7-7 is even Nanites. Apparently, there are no pages written on after that.

I wonder what the 3s on sectios 5 to 8 is. Maybe someone can recognize it from a certain technology/platform.

The last so many pages are more and more difficult to read. It appears his pen was getting worse, he was or the scanning was. Everything is showing a mind that works properly and well though. His spelling is good and grammar is fine . I don't know when he stopped writing in this book but, until then, who would bother doing all that if they were planning on dying?! That he even made a table of contents or list of what he was going to cover. He then did cover quite a bit of it. There was unfinished work for him to do that he had signed up for in the TOC though. Almost everything in the big notebook is understandable to me. He uses a few computer terms such as ordered array and even btree. Array is the generic term of a list of items in a structure used to store them that is called an array. An ordered array is one where those items are in sorted order. Btree is getting toward the upper years of university but I guess he could have picked up the term elsewhere.

Last edited:
I agree. He was moving a little. Getting water, and eating what he had.

I don't think it was neurological at all, I think it was psychological. An eating disorder or mania.

Very good points. I can think of some ways my theory could have happened, but it would require dragging himself to the water in a way I don’t wish to imagine. He would have needed to filter water before he was too weak to move because dehydration would obviously happen long before starvation. And we know he didn’t carry large water bottles to last for weeks, making my idea more unlikely, I agree.
It’s hard for me to reconcile that mental illness would lead to such a horrible end, when hikers on the trail saw no signs of mental distress, but we know he was a very private man.
I wish we could know the answers, but I think we are more likely to find out his identity than to know the details of his mental or physical health. Such a sad mystery.

I'm now looking into his notes from the original pdf scans. This guy is organized and he knows his stuff. The first page of the big notebook is a table of contents. This is what it says...

1. p2p.bak
2. BLL
3. Balanced Nutri?n Foods -- seems to be one unknown letter, it does not say nutrition!
4. Screeps
5. 3s Algae Pool (area)
7. 3s Nanites Guild

He actually has a section for Screeps so there should be no question now that some of the writings, as I and several other computer experts have said were for Screeps.

1. p2p.bak - p2p means peer to peer networking. The next 4 pages are numbered 1-1, 1-2, 1-3 and 1.4. Their contents is networking keywords, code and writings. He is not new to the underlying workings of networking! I'm not talking your typical admin guy either. I'm talking low level design and coding to control networking communication. There are only 4 pages to 1 then the next page is 2-1

2. BLL - not sure what this is but seems backups and such. Only 1 page then 3-1.

3. Balanced Nutri?n Foods - it looks like Nutrign but I don't know and can't find in search any foods named that. Maybe short for Nutrigain? Maybe someone else can shed some light on that. That is 3-1 and 3-2 and about nutritional food bars. Fiber is how Americans spell it and the rest of English tends to spell it fibre. He spells it like an American. He also writes center, not centre. This would imply he's American. Some might say well, d'uh, but there have been thoughts of him being from another country. Interesting though, he seems to use grams mainly and puts beside it the ounces in brackets. Maybe that's how his brand of bars is marked. There are no other pages for 3 and it moves on next to 4-1.

5. Nothing

6. Nothing

7. 3s Nanites Guild - 7-1 to 7-7 is definitely Nanites Guild. The first word of 7-7 is even Nanites. Apparently, there are no pages written on after that.

I wonder what the 3s on sectios 5 to 8 is. Maybe someone can recognize it from a certain technology/platform.

The last so many pages are more and more difficult to read. It appears his pen was getting worse, he was or the scanning was. Everything is showing a mind that works properly and well though. His spelling is good and grammar is fine . I don't know when he stopped writing in this book but, until then, who would bother doing all that if they were planning on dying?! That he even made a table of contents or list of what he was going to cover. He then did cover quite a bit of it. There was unfinished work for him to do that he had signed up for in the TOC though. Almost everything in the big notebook is understandable to me. He uses a few computer terms such as ordered array and even btree. Array is the generic term of a list of items in a structure used to store them that is called an array. An ordered array is one where those items are in sorted order. Btree is getting toward the upper years of university but I guess he could have picked up the term elsewhere.

Wow! Thank you for that very thorough analysis. Its too bad nothing has come of the.screeps connection yet. IMO

1. p2p.bak
2. BLL
4. Screeps
5. 3s Algae Pool (area)
7. 3s Nanites Guild

5. Nothing

6. Nothing

On the nutrition and protein bars: it doesn’t say Nutrigain or something like that - it says Nutrion, he misspelled nutrition throughout his notebook in that way :)

When does the weather start getting poor in the spring/summer for hiking in mid-Florida? I'm assuming mid is around Orlando to where MH was found. We haven't really established why MH APPEARS to have stopped hiking shortly after Apr 13, 2018 and why he SEEMED to stay at Nobles Camp until found July 23, 2018. We know his tent was there July 3, 2018 so he was likely there since the beginning of July but...Nobody remembers seeing him or even his tent in Apr, May or June?!

On the nutrition and protein bars: it doesn’t say Nutrigain or something like that - it says Nutrion, he misspelled nutrition throughout his notebook in that way :)
I thought of Nitrigain but it was too many missing letters for what he had written. I didn't go back on that comment after looking closely at much of the detailed notes but, now you mention it, he even spelled it Nutrional instead of Nutritional on 3-1. I then looked at the TOC again and the missing letter that looked like maybe a g because it was half below the line and part faint, actually looks like an o when zoomed in plus, the next word Food has its first o below the line too! That would make it Nutrion and I would say you've got it and that's what it was :)

There's an "old" software called Nutrion.

Nutrition Personal Dietary Advisor
Nutrion at Spectrum Computing - Sinclair ZX Spectrum games, software and hardware

@gfinale you remind me of Robert Graysmith in the movie Zodiac. I admire your dedication to this case!
That can be good and bad...hahaha! I've solved many cases, almost every one I've ever worked on but never in a public place, working with others ;) I actually own a version of that computer called the ZX81 with expansion memory but I'd have to dig it out :p

Update: I actually found a ZX Spectrum emulator, downloaded the game and am running it now. I figure if it uses the same info in same ways as his notes then there could be something.

Update 2: Unfortunately, nothing in that program looks familiar in his notes.

Last edited:

1. p2p.bak
2. BLL
4. Screeps
5. 3s Algae Pool (area)
7. 3s Nanites Guild

5. Nothing

6. Nothing

I've analysed section 3. Balanced Nutritional Foods more and believe the figures at the top of 3-1 are his overall daily targets for himself. For instance, Carbohydrates 300g. Other than that info such as carbs, protein, sugar, etc., one of the only further notes is "No allergens, minimal ingredients, natural ingredients". This sounds like someone who has lots of sensitivities. Possibly stomach and digestion problems. Could be related to stomach scar? Possibly, he didn't have an eating disorder but maybe he couldn't eat much or he got sick? Could that be why he didn't eat most of his pizza except some crust?

Last edited:
When does the weather start getting poor in the spring/summer for hiking in mid-Florida? I'm assuming mid is around Orlando to where MH was found. We haven't really established why MH APPEARS to have stopped hiking shortly after Apr 13, 2018 and why he SEEMED to stay at Nobles Camp until found July 23, 2018. We know his tent was there July 3, 2018 so he was likely there since the beginning of July but...Nobody remembers seeing him or even his tent in Apr, May or June?!
It starts to get hot in late March. He was already late in getting to South FL when Mike Gormley saw him in mid-April. Hiking activity really tapers off after March. It does not start up again until late October in Central FL. Down here, November.

I also find it odd there are no reports of him at Nobles until early July. I believe people did encounter him but are not aware of the significance of the encounter.

Also odd, I wonder if the rest area was ever searched for signs of him? I bet there is video there. Did he ever wander down to the rest stop? He had to have been resupplied somehow because there is no way he packed in 3 months of food. Even though he was starving. I'll guess they did search and nothing turned up, either because the video had taped over or there were no cameras that could spot him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinCaseBreakGlass