Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
SUNY!! Why didn’t I think of that?!! We have a SUNY college not far from me with a very popular computer science program. I think I’ll print some more posters and see if I can get them to put them in mailboxes. At the very least I can post them in that area. The staff parking lot will be my first stop. ( security will probably kick me out rather quickly but it’s worth a try)

Thanks, interesting article, this caught my attention as far as Mostly Harmless telling people he worked in NY.
After 15 years, Jerome Family Hopes Missing Son will be Found
"Barbara described her son as something of a homebody.
“He was a reader,” she said.

Patrick read so much and so widely he sometimes fooled people into thinking he’d worked on a cattle ranch or as a cook, or lived in Chicago, Los Angeles or another city when he’d simply read a book about it."

SUNY!! Why didn’t I think of that?!! We have a SUNY college not far from me with a very popular computer science program. I think I’ll print some more posters and see if I can get them to put them in mailboxes. At the very least I can post them in that area. The staff parking lot will be my first stop. ( security will probably kick me out rather quickly but it’s worth a try)

Great idea! Instead of mailboxes, why not ask about putting them up on the campus bulletin boards? You could also look up the email addresses of computer science staff and faculty and send them that way. If he went to college for computers it was over a decade ago, so none of the current students would recognize him but faculty might.

Hold on, didn’t i read somewhere that he may have camped at Bear Mtn ? If he work in NYC I don’t imagine he lived much farther up than that.

Yes. According to one story he told he started out living in Bear Mountain Park for several weeks in April or May before deciding to start his hike South on the AT around June 2017. There is a bus that drops off at Bear Mountain so he could have gotten there easily with public transportation even if he lived in NYC: Where You Can Go by Bus or Train

The suspect is described as a white male, 25-35yoa

The article says 25-35, not 20-25. So which do we put stock into? The witness's actual description included with the poster or the age numbers on the poster?

I’m just going by the photos of MH that I’ve seen posted.
IMO, he looks older than 25-35 to me.
He looks to be in his 40’s or early 50’s.
I could be wrong and he may be on the younger side, but he just looks older.

IMO

I’m just going by the photos of MH that I’ve seen posted.
IMO, he looks older than 25-35 to me.
He looks to be in his 40’s or early 50’s.
I could be wrong and he may be on the younger side, but he just looks older.

IMO

I agree. The age range given by the Sheriff is 35 to 50. He has grey hair. And the story he gave was that he had worked in the IT/Tech industry for a decade. Which means he has to be at least 32 to have completed college and then worked for 10 years before starting his hike. I think he is most likely early or mid 40's. MOO.

I agree. The age range given by the Sheriff is 35 to 50. He has grey hair. And the story he gave was that he had worked in the IT/Tech industry for a decade. Which means he has to be at least 32 to have completed college and then worked for 10 years before starting his hike. I think he is most likely early or mid 40's. MOO.

I think he's most likely in his upper 40's, but I knew a guy with completely white hair before he was 30, so I'm not going to take that as an absolute. The 35 to 50 age range from the forensic exam is pretty wide.

A few thoughts....
Assuming he did camp at Bear Mtn I don’t think he lived in the city. it would be easy to catch the AT closer to the city rather than travel to Bear Mtn and start from there.
I’m thinking maybe he lived in the Newburgh/ Beacon area? Or maybe he caught the bus/ train that stopped at BearMtn for work every day? If he took mass transit from that area every day I could see him taking it to Bear Mtn and staying there.
We discussed the fact that he camped overnight in Unionville, NY. In order to camp there you have to get a permit either from town hall, or Horlers deli when town hall is closed. Town hall closes early. 1:00 if I remember correctly. Im thinking I may stop at the deli. I want to ask what information someone would have to supply to get a permit. If you have to show ID.........

I think he looks much younger in this earlier picture

That's a picture from the Florida Trail. I don't know what date it was taken but it would have been toward the end of his life. He shaved several times along his hiking journey and then would let his beard grow back again. Most men do look younger when they shave. I don't think looks to be 20's in any photos, however. MOO.

i Sent an email to Unionville town hall asking what info you have to give for a camping permit. Included asking if you have to show ID. They are usually good about responding so I’m hoping to hear something tomorrow.
I don’t expect they will give me names of who stayed there or even look for a Ben Bilemy but one step at a time.

Re post of video showing MH when he was still alive.
http://www.winknews.com/2018/08/23/collier-deputies-release-video-of-hiker-prior-to-death/
August 23, 2018
"A new inside look at a hiker alive and well before he was found dead one-month-ago near Nobles Campground in the Big Cypress Preserve.

Collier County deputies just released video in the hopes of identifying the deceased hiker. He used the alias “Ben Bilemy and was hiking from New York to Florida.

“This time of year there’s not a lot of people out there it’s summertime so it’s really hot, it’s really buggy and if it’s raining, it’s really wet because it’s a lot of swamp area so people tend to stay away from it,” said hiker Ashley Howe."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mel18