Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most hikers don't plan to pick up jobs along the way. They save up money and do their hike while in between jobs or in between school and starting a career or sometimes they retire and decide to hike the trail. But they are usually not stopping to work places other than a few hostels on the trail that let you stay in exchange for doing farm chores-- but that is not a job where any money changes hands. In general, it is not smart to carry your SS card with you in your wallet at all times. Most of the time you won't need to show an actual SS card, you just need the number. It's safer to have your number memorized and keep your card in a safe at home or a safety deposit box at the bank. JMO.

As for the money-- sure anything is possible. He might have a large bank account that is sitting dormant and he might have children or other beneficiaries that would inherit his money-- assuming it is not stolen. I keep worrying that he might be a fugitive like Jason Derek Brown: Jason Derek Brown - Wikipedia

That's what I keep saying & people keep replying with the whole "they would have his fingerprints" or "he would be in the system". No, if he committed a crime & fled immediately after, there would not necessarily be prints in the system. Could have been his first crime. I'm not saying he is a fugitive, but nobody can rule out that he may be.

That makes sense not telling people your home is unoccupied. Do people carry emergency contact phone numbers with them? Or do most people have cell phones? It seems like people hike alone and with no ID or hidden IDs so if something happens there should be a way to contact someone.
Is there a place that rents lockers or somewhere you can keep your stuff stored safely along the trail? I don't know if hostels need IDs but most motels ask for it even when they take cash. If you stay at a hostel do they want your real name in case something happens to you? Or if you destroy property?

I have not hiked it but I have read a lot of blogs. It does seem like almost everyone takes a phone with them now. The trail changes slightly from year to year. You can follow the white blazes-- markings put on trees to guide hikers -- but most hikers download a free mapping app to their phone. A phone is also helpful for reserving your place in a hostel or figuring out the nearest town. You usually have to reserve a place in a hostel but they don't require ID. Most take cash and only ask you to sign a log book. And at many hostels they don't even require you sign anything. Hikers will often arrange to have resupply boxes of food mailed to them at a hostel and it's held for them until they get there. Or if they buy too much food at one point they can mail the box of extras ahead to themselves at their next planned stop. They also will mail home things they end up not needing anymore. In Denim's case, when he got down to Florida he still had his winter clothing in his pack. A "Trail Angel" offered to mail his winter stuff home for him but Denim declined. It seems like he might not have had anyone sending him resupply care packages along the way because I think those would have to have a real name on them. JMO.

That's what I keep saying & people keep replying with the whole "they would have his fingerprints" or "he would be in the system". No, if he committed a crime & fled immediately after, there would not necessarily be prints in the system. Could have been his first crime. I'm not saying he is a fugitive, but nobody can rule out that he may be.

It's certainly a possibility. He didn't tell anyone his real name. Not even the hostel owners. He hesitated when a hiking store owner in GA asked to take his photo. He had a large sum of cash (thousands of dollars). He paid for everything in cash. He had no GPS technology with him-- they said his watch was a basic watch and not a smart watch or anything that could be tracked. He didn't want to mail his winter clothes home-- perhaps he was not planning to return home or perhaps he simply didn't trust the person who offered. I wouldn't give a stranger my name and address if I was 1000's of miles from home either. Everything he did may be simply because he is a private person and values his safety and/or privacy. Or it may be because he was a fugitive of some sort or hiding from his past.

MOO.

Most hikers don't plan to pick up jobs along the way. They save up money and do their hike while in between jobs or in between school and starting a career or sometimes they retire and decide to hike the trail. But they are usually not stopping to work places other than a few hostels on the trail that let you stay in exchange for doing farm chores-- but that is not a job where any money changes hands. In general, it is not smart to carry your SS card with you in your wallet at all times. Most of the time you won't need to show an actual SS card, you just need the number. It's safer to have your number memorized and keep your card in a safe at home or a safety deposit box at the bank. JMO.

As for the money-- sure anything is possible. He might have a large bank account that is sitting dormant and he might have children or other beneficiaries that would inherit his money-- assuming it is not stolen. I keep worrying that he might be a fugitive like Jason Derek Brown: Jason Derek Brown - Wikipedia

He was off the trail for a bit, could he have had a bank account or safety deposit box somewhere near where he maybe took a break. He might have had a bank account where he was from. He might have had a joint account but you think someone would notice his lack of activity. Or did he just decide to go off the grid?

It's certainly a possibility. He didn't tell anyone his real name. Not even the hostel owners. He hesitated when a hiking store owner in GA asked to take his photo. He had a large sum of cash (thousands of dollars). He paid for everything in cash. He had no GPS technology with him-- they said his watch was a basic watch and not a smart watch or anything that could be tracked. He didn't want to mail his winter clothes home-- perhaps he was not planning to return home or perhaps he simply didn't trust the person who offered. I wouldn't give a stranger my name and address if I was 1000's of miles from home either. Everything he did may be simply because he is a private person and values his safety and/or privacy. Or it may be because he was a fugitive of some sort or hiding from his past.

MOO.

Was he prepared or doing things as they came along? I could see not mailing winter clothes home. It depends on what you are sending back and if shipping is expensive. It might be easier to donate clothes. If no one is at your house you wouldn't send your clothes there. Friends and family might not appreciate strangers having their address or they might not care. It's a sign you are alive. That might offer safety because people know you'll be missed. Not trusting anyone leaves you vulnerable.

I have considered the possibility that he may already have been presumed dead, and that is why it seems like nobody is looking for him. There could even be a kid collecting his social security benefits.

Let's face it, trail names... completely normal. Alias for hostel stays... not so normal or common. My friend who truly thinks everybody in this world is up to no good thinks the large sum of money was for buying a new name and IDs in Florida. He thinks the alias is due to a scam... like insurance fraud. I'm not convinced, however I think it is more likely than him being a murderer or something.

Anything is possible. I get crazy answers when I ask people what they think. But I have heard more than once that people who use aliases without a reason come from criminal families... and it may just be white collar crime, like tax evasion.

I still thinking he either knew he was ill and wanted to do this/ be alone, or he was at some kind of crossroads and wanted to start over. IDK, maybe that’s just what I WANT to think.
Let’s not forget he may have had a sister in Florida that he may have wanted to visit. If that was the plan I’m guessing he didn’t make it.

At home, we play a game called Lightening Round/ I Am. It goes like this....

I am Ben Bilemy, and I hiked the Appalachian Trail. I decided to hike it when... and then you make up the rest. Everybody asks you questions and the ones you get hung up on indicate weak points in the story. It's silly and fun but it makes you second guess reasoning for doing certain things and you realize at times some stories are too difficult or unlikely to be true.

Using an alias is a bit strange. If he knew he was ill why would he care if people knew his name after he died?
If it wasn’t a long term illness why an alias? People at the hostels don’t care what your name is. Unless he told someone he was doing this hike they wouldn’t know to look there. Why did he not want someone to be able to track him after the fact? Who would be looking for him if he didn’t die out there?

Let’s see:
Legal troubles
Owes money to the wrong people
Witnessed something

Any other ideas?

Skipped Bail
Skipped taxes or alimony
Let family down, shamed
Left suicide note but changed mind
Ashamed of family

And now for
The most far out answers I've gotten this far from a wide variety of people:

Left Scientology
Left Amish
Left Mob
Etan Patz- just NO
Sold his identity to a refugee
Has never been just one person/name
Born in a commune, no ID,s ever.
Never got vaccines (what?)
Time traveler
Spy
1st generation American born of
Russian spies (like Paige in the series
The Americans)
A Canadian refugee
Illegal Cuban
Pet thief (because he looks like he likes dogs... ooooookay?!)

Hope you found one that made you laugh.

I have considered the possibility that he may already have been presumed dead, and that is why it seems like nobody is looking for him. There could even be a kid collecting his social security benefits.

Let's face it, trail names... completely normal. Alias for hostel stays... not so normal or common. My friend who truly thinks everybody in this world is up to no good thinks the large sum of money was for buying a new name and IDs in Florida. He thinks the alias is due to a scam... like insurance fraud. I'm not convinced, however I think it is more likely than him being a murderer or something.

Anything is possible. I get crazy answers when I ask people what they think. But I have heard more than once that people who use aliases without a reason come from criminal families... and it may just be white collar crime, like tax evasion.

Embezzling. Much more common than people know.

Somebody embezzled 50K from a sports league near us to finance his gambling habit. A school cafeteria cashier cleared $15K over the course of a few years and spent it mostly on clothes and shoes. A contract worker at a construction business got told their contract wasn't going to be renewed, and that evening she cleared out the cash drawer and took it with her. Theft wasn't discovered until Monday. Nobody knows where she went. There was a waiter pilfering from the charity donation boxes by the cash register; turned out he was just a kleptomaniac or whatever the current term is.

Found a very interesting article about a fugitive that basically hid while hiking the Appalachain Trail. He was only known by his trail name "Bismarck". Nobody knew his real name. Very interesting.

Fugitive Spent Years Hiding on the Appalachian Trail
@booghawk I just read the article above for the first time and found it fascinating. Having read this, I think it is entirely possible that Denim/MH had been on the lam. Here are a few more articles about “Bismarck”:

“But when he was finally apprehended earlier this month, it turned out he had been a well-known figure on the Appalachian trail who went only by the name of ‘Bismarck.”

‘Bismarck was by hiking standards more honest than most hikers I've encountered from my experience,’ Karl Humbarger, who knew Hammes as a ‘work for stay’ resident at his hostel, commented on a news story.

Known on the trail as an honest and religious man, his fellow hikers were shocked to find out their ‘super nice‘ comrade had been featured on America's Most Wanted and American Greed: The Fugitives.

But when a former hiker recognised Hammes from television, he reported him to the authorities, submitting personal hike photos that included the fugitive.

How can one be so anonymous, even among those who claim to have known him so well?

It all comes down to the culture of the Appalachian Trail (AT), where trail names are most commonplace form of identity.

Larry Luxenberg, president of the AT Museum, admits he doesn't know the real names of many of the close friends he's made - including some he's known for 30 years.

[SBM]

Once a hiker answers to the name, and introduces him or herself by that name, it's shared with others on the trail via word of mouth and notebooks - ‘registers’ - that are left in the 250 rudimentary shelters along the way.

[SBM]

The trail didn't become popular with hikers trying to trek the whole distance until the 1970s, and at that point half of the hikers had trail names, says Luxenberg.

‘I hiked in 1980 and I like to say back then the names were not mandatory. Now they're pretty much mandatory.’

[SBM]

In a blog post on Appalachian Trail Bloggers, writer Evans Prater explains the psychology of a trail name.

‘A trail name represents a new identity, a new beginning, and a chance to leave everything that was once represented by 'John Smith' or 'Jane Dougherty' behind,’ writes Prater.

People don't come out here to talk about their jobs as lawyers or bartenders or car salesmen; they come out here to leave the hassles of everyday life - the stresses of rent, insurance, bosses, student loan payments.’

It's a way to leave the real world behind, something that could appeal to both known fugitives and frustrated middle managers.

[SBM]” (BBM)
The man who hid behind a trail name

“CINCINNATI — He was known as ‘Bismarck,’ a genial, thick-bearded hiker who had become a familiar character along the Appalachian Trail over the past six years, and a regular at Susie Montgomery’s bed-and-breakfast in a small Virginia town — until the day the FBI showed up.

‘I’d say he was one of my favorite guests,’ said Montgomery, whose four-bedroom Montgomery Homestead Inn offers on its website a place to ‘forget life’s stresses’ for a slower, simpler life. ‘He was a smart man, interesting to talk to; a pleasant personality. All of the other people who stayed here liked him.’

He was in his room, she recalled, on May 16 during the annual Trail Days festival that brings thousands of people into tiny Damascus, Virginia, when she responded to a knock on the door.” (BBM)
Friendly Appalachian Trail hiker turns out to be wanted fugitive

Hiding on the AT
So should we be shocked that a member of the Appalachian Trail hiking community could be a criminal; not in the slightest. In fact what better way to hide from the law:

• The majority of males have a beard and longer hair – perfect if you are trying to disguise yourself without standing out from the crowd,
  • Hard to describe – ‘the man had a beard, dirty scruffy clothes, smelt bad, and a pack’; that’s the majority of the males hiking the trail.
  • Anonymity – No one is suspicious when you don’t give your real name; in fact using a real name is suspicious.
  • Not using bankcards – paying cash for everything is not unusual, in fact several hostels, some restaurants and stores only take cash.
  • No technology – Not having a cell phone is not seen as unusual; being ‘off the grid’ is an accepted way of life.
  • No job or visible means of income – No one questions you not having a job or income on the trail.
  • New friends – A complete new start with new friends and ‘family’ without the difficult questions.
  • Moving around – The ability to move around freely, changing locations often and never settling in one place.
  • Minimal interaction with law enforcement.” (BBM)
AT Thru-Hiker, "Bismarck", Arrested at Trail Days on Embezzling Charges

Exclusive: Interview with Hiker Who Assisted FBI in Arrest of James "Bismark" Hammes

Reader comments on the last two pages are pretty interesting, too.

Last edited:
I still thinking he either knew he was ill and wanted to do this/ be alone, or he was at some kind of crossroads and wanted to start over. IDK, maybe that’s just what I WANT to think.
Let’s not forget he may have had a sister in Florida that he may have wanted to visit. If that was the plan I’m guessing he didn’t make it.

JMO
I think the same way in that I want Denim/MH to be someone just wanting to live off the grid for some reason that is not because of a bad reason.

I have wondered if he may have had a breakup with a love partner that he thought he would spend the rest of his life with and maybe it was such a hard breakup that he wanted to "disappear" for good.

Most people have had tough breakups at least once in their lives and we know they can be very upsetting and hard to get over. So if something like that happened and he realized the other person moved on and it was never going to be the same again then he may have decided to disappear for good. In a weird sort of way it may have been like taking a little revenge on the other person because they would never be able to know what happened to him.

Or like others have said it could be just someone wanting to live off the grid for other personal reasons. Take out life savings and hit the road.

I hope it was nothing nefarious because that would make the story even sadder than it is.

He was off the trail for a bit, could he have had a bank account or safety deposit box somewhere near where he maybe took a break. He might have had a bank account where he was from. He might have had a joint account but you think someone would notice his lack of activity. Or did he just decide to go off the grid?

Sure, it's possible he has a bank account or a safety deposit box. If he retired from a technology career then he might have 401k's or other retirement accounts. He might be getting a check every month deposited into his account and that is just adding up. I think if he was not hiding from anything then his family knew he was hiking and they got used to not knowing where he is, not hearing from him for long periods of time. But he may also have been hiding from some minor thing like debt or child support owed. In which case, his family may not know he is hiking but they would know he has a reason to stay off grid and would be looking for him or reporting him missing.
There are many possibilities.

MOO.

JMO
I think the same way in that I want Denim/MH to be someone just wanting to live off the grid for some reason that is not because of a bad reason.

I have wondered if he may have had a breakup with a love partner that he thought he would spend the rest of his life with and maybe it was such a hard breakup that he wanted to "disappear" for good.

Most people have had tough breakups at least once in their lives and we know they can be very upsetting and hard to get over. So if something like that happened and he realized the other person moved on and it was never going to be the same again then he may have decided to disappear for good. In a weird sort of way it may have been like taking a little revenge on the other person because they would never be able to know what happened to him.

Or like others have said it could be just someone wanting to live off the grid for other personal reasons. Take out life savings and hit the road.

I hope it was nothing nefarious because that would make the story even sadder than it is.

I also hope it wasn't anything really bad that had him in hiding. But it could be something simple like avoiding paying child support or alimony from a divorce. Or massive credit card debts. I hope it's not a violent crime. He might have embezzled money or robbed a bank though-- it's just not normal to have several thousand dollars on you when you hike the AT. Whatever the truth is, however, I believe his family deserves to know what happened to him. And he needs to be given a proper burial (or cremation if that's what his family decides). The podcast said his body remains in the cold storage of the Collier County Coroner. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Best Online Jewellery Mar