Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does it have to be a nefarious reason for him to chose anonymity?
Maybe he has no connection with family - or they are deceased. Many people come from less than pleasant family situations. He supposedly mentioned a sister in Florida, but with no more details than that it may not have been a close relationship. He supposedly mentioned a relationship that ended.
Maybe he really was suffering from a terminal disease and didn't want pity.
Just because he had a significant amount of cash for the hike means nothing bad had to happen. He could have sold a house, furniture, a car, etc. before starting the hike, carrying the cash instead of a bank card.

Why does it have to be a nefarious reason for him to chose anonymity?
Maybe he has no connection with family - or they are deceased. Many people come from less than pleasant family situations. He supposedly mentioned a sister in Florida, but with no more details than that it may not have been a close relationship. He supposedly mentioned a relationship that ended.
Maybe he really was suffering from a terminal disease and didn't want pity.
Just because he had a significant amount of cash for the hike means nothing bad had to happen. He could have sold a house, furniture, a car, etc. before starting the hike, carrying the cash instead of a bank card.
I don't think it has to be a nefarious reason. I think you just caught us at a time when we are admitting that it is possible he was hiding something, and that something could be nefarious.

Edited to add: I think most people here are hoping, wanting the truth to be that he was a good dude, living his best life.

@booghawk I just read the article above for the first time and found it fascinating. Having read this, I think it is entirely possible that Denim/MH had been on the lam. Here are a few more articles about “Bismarck”:

“But when he was finally apprehended earlier this month, it turned out he had been a well-known figure on the Appalachian trail who went only by the name of ‘Bismarck.”

‘Bismarck was by hiking standards more honest than most hikers I've encountered from my experience,’ Karl Humbarger, who knew Hammes as a ‘work for stay’ resident at his hostel, commented on a news story.

Known on the trail as an honest and religious man, his fellow hikers were shocked to find out their ‘super nice‘ comrade had been featured on America's Most Wanted and American Greed: The Fugitives.

But when a former hiker recognised Hammes from television, he reported him to the authorities, submitting personal hike photos that included the fugitive.

How can one be so anonymous, even among those who claim to have known him so well?

It all comes down to the culture of the Appalachian Trail (AT), where trail names are most commonplace form of identity.

Larry Luxenberg, president of the AT Museum, admits he doesn't know the real names of many of the close friends he's made - including some he's known for 30 years.

[SBM]

Once a hiker answers to the name, and introduces him or herself by that name, it's shared with others on the trail via word of mouth and notebooks - ‘registers’ - that are left in the 250 rudimentary shelters along the way.

[SBM]

The trail didn't become popular with hikers trying to trek the whole distance until the 1970s, and at that point half of the hikers had trail names, says Luxenberg.

‘I hiked in 1980 and I like to say back then the names were not mandatory. Now they're pretty much mandatory.’

[SBM]

In a blog post on Appalachian Trail Bloggers, writer Evans Prater explains the psychology of a trail name.

‘A trail name represents a new identity, a new beginning, and a chance to leave everything that was once represented by 'John Smith' or 'Jane Dougherty' behind,’ writes Prater.

People don't come out here to talk about their jobs as lawyers or bartenders or car salesmen; they come out here to leave the hassles of everyday life - the stresses of rent, insurance, bosses, student loan payments.’

It's a way to leave the real world behind, something that could appeal to both known fugitives and frustrated middle managers.

[SBM]” (BBM)
The man who hid behind a trail name

“CINCINNATI — He was known as ‘Bismarck,’ a genial, thick-bearded hiker who had become a familiar character along the Appalachian Trail over the past six years, and a regular at Susie Montgomery’s bed-and-breakfast in a small Virginia town — until the day the FBI showed up.

‘I’d say he was one of my favorite guests,’ said Montgomery, whose four-bedroom Montgomery Homestead Inn offers on its website a place to ‘forget life’s stresses’ for a slower, simpler life. ‘He was a smart man, interesting to talk to; a pleasant personality. All of the other people who stayed here liked him.’

He was in his room, she recalled, on May 16 during the annual Trail Days festival that brings thousands of people into tiny Damascus, Virginia, when she responded to a knock on the door.” (BBM)
Friendly Appalachian Trail hiker turns out to be wanted fugitive

Hiding on the AT
So should we be shocked that a member of the Appalachian Trail hiking community could be a criminal; not in the slightest. In fact what better way to hide from the law:

• The majority of males have a beard and longer hair – perfect if you are trying to disguise yourself without standing out from the crowd,
  • Hard to describe – ‘the man had a beard, dirty scruffy clothes, smelt bad, and a pack’; that’s the majority of the males hiking the trail.
  • Anonymity – No one is suspicious when you don’t give your real name; in fact using a real name is suspicious.
  • Not using bankcards – paying cash for everything is not unusual, in fact several hostels, some restaurants and stores only take cash.
  • No technology – Not having a cell phone is not seen as unusual; being ‘off the grid’ is an accepted way of life.
  • No job or visible means of income – No one questions you not having a job or income on the trail.
  • New friends – A complete new start with new friends and ‘family’ without the difficult questions.
  • Moving around – The ability to move around freely, changing locations often and never settling in one place.
  • Minimal interaction with law enforcement.” (BBM)
AT Thru-Hiker, "Bismarck", Arrested at Trail Days on Embezzling Charges

Exclusive: Interview with Hiker Who Assisted FBI in Arrest of James "Bismark" Hammes

Reader comments on the last two pages are pretty interesting, too.

Yes! That case in particular is what makes me lean more towards the possibility of him being a fugitive. Extremely interesting case. I wish we could get his face on the news nationally and even internationally, like up here in Canada. Somebody has to recognize him. He has such a unique, kind face. It's not a face you would easily forget.

Using an alias is a bit strange. If he knew he was ill why would he care if people knew his name after he died?
If it wasn’t a long term illness why an alias? People at the hostels don’t care what your name is. Unless he told someone he was doing this hike they wouldn’t know to look there. Why did he not want someone to be able to track him after the fact? Who would be looking for him if he didn’t die out there?

If he was ill can they release that info? Or do they need the next of kin's approval. If he had cancer or AIDs or something terminal hopefully hospitals were shown his picture.

Maybe I’m naive, but there’s not a hair on my body that thinks he went hiking for some nefarious reason (fugitive, burglary, behind on child suport or whatever). It just seems weird that he would choose to hike with people who could identify him later-on (if he was a fugitive). If they were looking for him for a crime he had comitted then surely they would have identified him based on fingerprints. And if he had that much cash, child suport surely wouldn’t have been a problem. And unless the right person hasn’t come foreward yet, he has never mentioned any children to anyone which I think he would have if he had any. He talked about his sister, an ex, his work etc so it wouldn’t make sense to me if he never once talked about his children during any of those conversations (if he had any).
Personally, I really think he was just ill and decided to do this hike while he still could (which again is something he mentioned to fellow hikers according to this thread).

If anyone ends up calling the Sheriff’s County again, please ask if they can elaborate on his cause of death or flatout ask if he had cancer or another terminal illness. It probably won’t help him get identified but at least we could move on from this discussion and focus on other aspects of his disappearance :)

I still can’t believe that they never mentioned his pack being found in his tent but I’m glad they confirmed it over the phone because that one piece of missing information was driving me insane! Though, I agree and would like to know what was in his pack.

Thumbnail

MISSING
Missing Person / NamUs #MP35088Steven E Whitenight Jr, Male, White / Caucasian

He is From P.A. the circumstances of his disappearance are interesting to me. His car was found abandond near a river that also happens to cross the AT. Phone and keys here left inside.

Appel.aspx

DAVID B APPLE
  • Missing from: Westlake, Ohio
  • Missing since: 10/1/2008
  • Missing age: 33
  • Current age: 43
  • Race/Ethnicity: White
  • Height: 5'10"
  • Weight: 175 lbs
  • Hair color: Brown
  • Eye color: Blue.
Found this while looking in other border states. Also looking in states that have trails similar to the A.T. Ohio has the "Buckeye Trail"

Last edited:
FWIW, I saw an exchange in the Facebook comments of a post about him. Someone said he told other hikers he was ill and was hiking while he still could. Obsidian (JV) said that DOES NOT sound like him.

I also don't believe someone with a terminal illness could hike for more than a year without symptoms or medical treatment and then suddenly within a few months drop weight and die. Sounds more like a parasite or something similar. A terminal illness just does not make any sense for his circumstances.

Skipped Bail
Skipped taxes or alimony
Let family down, shamed
Left suicide note but changed mind
Ashamed of family

And now for
The most far out answers I've gotten this far from a wide variety of people:

Left Scientology
Left Amish
Left Mob
Etan Patz- just NO
Sold his identity to a refugee
Has never been just one person/name
Born in a commune, no ID,s ever.
Never got vaccines (what?)
Time traveler
Spy
1st generation American born of
Russian spies (like Paige in the series
The Americans)
A Canadian refugee
Illegal Cuban
Pet thief (because he looks like he likes dogs... ooooookay?!)

Hope you found one that made you laugh.

LOL
Too funny!
Some people have way too much time on their hands...
Etan Patz...smh.

IMO

Wondering if the cash MH had was for medical emergencies and to pay for burial if he thought there was a possibility that he might die. imo, speculation.
Very plausible, IMO, and even more so if he was determined to remain anonymous to the very end.

Or maybe he suspected the authorities might have a hard time locating next of kin, if or when found, because he was estranged from family or didn’t have family, and wanted to make sure he had enough cash on him, so that he wouldn’t be a financial burden on others, in case he became extremely ill and a fellow hiker called 911 or had to be interred in a pauper cemetery.

Honestly, if it weren’t for my ex-husband, children, parents and brother, I can picture myself being in a similar situation.

I have a couple of friends who might start asking around, but then again, they are mostly the parents of my children’s friends, so if it weren’t for the kids, I’m not so sure.

My mom talks to her brother and his wife regularly, but I don’t. None of my relatives on my dad’s side of the family live in the States, and I keep in touch with a couple of them but only on social media.

So, if Denim/MH didn’t have an SO or a relative (including children) whom he stayed in regular contact with, fairly close friends, and had left a job before starting on the AT, perhaps it isn’t such a mystery that he hasn’t been identified yet.

LE said they have run his info thru the missing databases like NAMUS and so far no matches. IDK if that means it absolutely impossible but they are ruling out names submitted from NAMUS right away.

This is correct and just to add to the above-- we learned from the podcast that they are able to rule out many suggestions quickly due to his teeth. He had perfect teeth so if the suggested MP had any dental work or less than perfect teeth they were automatically ruled out. LE also quickly ruled out anyone with tattoos. Fingerprints can be checked if the MP has perfect teeth and no tattoos and fits the other biometrics. The DNA is not back from the lab yet. :(

FWIW, I saw an exchange in the Facebook comments of a post about him. Someone said he told other hikers he was ill and was hiking while he still could. Obsidian (JV) said that DOES NOT sound like him.

I also don't believe someone with a terminal illness could hike for more than a year without symptoms or medical treatment and then suddenly within a few months drop weight and die. Sounds more like a parasite or something similar. A terminal illness just does not make any sense for his circumstances.
I’ve recently had a friend die from pancreatic cancer. He was able to lead a fairly normal life until close to the end, when the disease progression was rapid. He told very few people who were sworn to secrecy but the thing that strikes me: he had priced out cremation and service, withdrawn that amount of money in cash and he handed it over to a family member during his last days.

That’s what I thought, too. But after I saw @EllieGato ’s post about Andy “Astro” Lyon yesterday, I read up on him a bit, and I’m not so sure ...:

“YAKIMA — You’re 23 years old with recurring cancer.

Do you withdraw from society? Visit every doctor you can find?

Or embark on an epic adventure?

Andy Lyon chose adventure. In April, the Laguna Beach, Calif., native loaded his backpack and set off alone on the Pacific Crest Trail, which runs 2,650 miles from Mexico to Canada.

Now, just 361 miles from the finish in British Columbia and facing the last few weeks of safe weather, Lyon’s Hodgkin’s lymphoma has flared up again. But he’s hoping a new treatment he received Wednesday will get him back on the trail at White Pass by this weekend.

[SBM]

He started April 7 after extensive preparations. He invested in an ultra-lightweight backpack, sleeping bag and tent, which together weigh less than 5 pounds. With food and water, his pack hovers just above 20 pounds.

That’s a good thing, as he has to walk about 20 miles a day through often grueling terrain: The PCT passes through the Sierra Nevada mountain range and the Mojave Desert in California, then through the Cascades in Oregon and Washington.

[SBM]

‘I knew that … whatever happened on the trail, even if I died on the trail, that would be the right thing. That would be my time and my place to go, and what better way to go than on an amazing mountain?’

His mother, who chronicles his journey through a blog and sends him food along the way, is on board.

‘I just want him to be happy,’ said Betsy Gosselin, who came to Yakima to help arrange treatment for her son.

[SBM]” (BBM)
Hiker with lymphoma finds healing on 2,650-mile Pacific Crest Trail

There’s a tradition among thru-hikers to take on trail names. Not only do these handles represent membership in the tribe, they’re also an acknowledgement that the things that happen on a long-distance hike transcend normal life.

Andy wants his trail name to be about his diet. Whereas other hikers’ food bags—especially guys his age—contain Snickers Bars and instant ramen noodles, Andy’s is an apothecary of organic foods and vitamins. He wants to be known for running on such premium fuel. Then, a week and a day after leaving the southern terminus, he meets Gourmet.

Andy is already in his tent when Gourmet cruises past on the purple-painted desert flats 75 miles north of the border, rapping about snowboarding. He camps a short distance away, and, the next morning, Gourmet apologizes for the disturbance. But Andy just laughs and asks him to sing the lyrics once again. Gourmet is a 39-year-old musician from Seattle, doing his first thru-hike, but Andy doesn’t ask his real name. Nor does he tell him—or anyone else—that he has cancer. The two become quick friends.

[SBM]

Ten months after finishing the PCT, Andy steadies himself against the railing as he walks to the Crystal Hermitage Guest House at Ananda Village, his spiritual community in Northern California. Four days later, on the morning of August 30, his mother wakes him so they can watch the dawn. It is Andy’s last sunrise.” (BBM)
Gone Hiking | Backpacker

Last edited:
I'm not convinced Denim knew he was dying or wanted to die where he did. He had notebooks and a pen or pencil. If he knew he was close to death why didn't he leave a note? If the money was for his burial in the event of his death he could have left a note saying that. He could have left a note asking to remain anonymous too or saying goodbye, or even a journal type entry noting he was too sick to hike on-- as other hikers have done when they ended up in that situation. But he didn't write anything like that. Instead he was writing a computer game and protein bar recipes. Hikers who met him said he seemed to have future plans. We have no way of knowing he didn't plan to contact anyone he knew ever again or that he wanted to die anonymously. Being anonymous on the trail to fellow hikers is normal. Dying on the trail, sitting up in your tent with your eyes open is not normal.

Nothing about how he was found indicates to me he was ready to die there. He left his shoes with the insoles out and drying which is what hikers do when they plan to continue hiking the next day. He died sitting up in his tent with his eyes open. The prelim cause of death from the coroner was malnutrition. He wasn't in a place where he was too far away from help if someone had only found him a day or two earlier. Malnutrition and his low body weight seems to indicate he was in a weakened state before his death but we don't know why. He could have had a parasite or pathogen of some sort from drinking unfiltered water and not known it was deadly until too late. He might have been sitting up in his tent expecting someone to walk down the trail and find him but no one did (at least not in time). I get it that some want to try to make this less sad by believing he wanted to die the way he did, but I don't find any comfort in that idea. It is sad he died there alone in his tent and it is sad he is unknown. We can't know if he wanted to die alone and nameless unless we learn who he is-- who he was. I don't believe that anyone who has photos of Denim mentioned him being sick. That story came from one person who thought they met him in Florida. I just hope that his identity is found before he has to be removed from the cold storage. :(

MOO.

LE said they have run his info thru the missing databases like NAMUS and so far no matches. IDK if that means it absolutely impossible but they are ruling out names submitted from NAMUS right away.

If you're registered with NamUs you can see those they have ruled out. Click tools to the right of his profile.

These are listed as exclusions.

Missing Person / NamUs # MP12308 David Whitehurst, Male, White / Caucasian
Date of Last ContactApril 17, 1992
StateFL
CountyHillsborough
Birth Year--
First Name David
Last Name Whitehurst
Date of Last ContactApril 17, 1992
Birth Year --
StateFL
CountyHillsborough