Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male hiker, "Denim" & "Mostly Harmless", Jul 2018 - Vance Rodriguez

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah. He's too tall, eyes wrong color. They don't look very similar wither.

Okay, okay, but the words "Appalachian Trail" match, so I figured, why not?

Apparently Mr. Jacoby's Mom wrote to everyone who signed the log at Baxter State Park, where the AT begins, every one, in the calendar year that her son disappeared.

Her son had expressed interest in working for a guide service. His mother wrote to every guide service in the state of Maine.

I love this woman's sleuthing determination; but am broken-hearted about her need to be so thorough.

JMHO YMMV LRR

Okay, okay, but the words "Appalachian Trail" match, so I figured, why not?

Apparently Mr. Jacoby's Mom wrote to everyone who signed the log at Baxter State Park, where the AT begins, every one, in the calendar year that her son disappeared.

Her son had expressed interest in working for a guide service. His mother wrote to every guide service in the state of Maine.

I love this woman's sleuthing determination; but am broken-hearted about her need to be so thorough.

JMHO YMMV LRR

For some reason I think Jacoby is still alive and maybe living in Canada.

I have found an article, I would like to warn you, while I didn't see any facial photos, there is a photo of his "twisted" body. Quite disturbing.

The disturbing death of the unknown hiker, Mostly Harmless, in Cypress National Preserve — StrangeOutdoors.com

Just looked this over.. In the twisted body image... its obvious he has a vertical incision scar in the center of his abdomen. There's nothing "probable" about it. I wonder what this scar was from. Clearly some kind of surgery.

Just looked this over.. In the twisted body image... its obvious he has a vertical incision scar in the center of his abdomen. There's nothing "probable" about it. I wonder what this scar was from. Clearly some kind of surgery.
The scar is far from “faint and indistinct”, as it’s been described. I wonder why they’ve downplayed it this entire time. I think it could be how some of the rule outs were made so quickly.

Hi all! New member.

I'm the guy that made the "straight up that way" video clip posted earlier on in the thread :)

A few days back I tried to enhance other isolated words, which you can pick up inaudibly (and by looking at the equaliser), but sadly my very amateur skillset just couldn't get it down pat. The white noise crowds it out and distorts it, at least for the time being. I will probably have another go soon.

Re the very obvious scar, I'll have to pass on the cause of it, other than of course it is extensive.
It appears to have what looks like ingrained dirt or debris within it, giving it an almost blue/grey hue. Reminds me of the old "blue scars" coalminers in my area had/have when the wound heals up over dirt embedded within.

Of course I entertain the possibility that is it just ingrained from the year he spent camping, or part of the PM process? (Not my forte!)

What also struck me as noteworthy was the clean appearance of his front torso (in relative terms), and in fact his limbs too aside from the mud on the feet. Also, the contrast between the back of his t-shirt and shorts to the front. He'd evidently been spending a great deal of time on his back.

Anyways, happy to be here and look forward to contributing!

My latest rabbit hole is researching the veracity of a post by a Screeps player that said the notes indicated MH had knowledge of a significant game change, while on trail. An update in fact that was released in the March of 2018 that he would have had to go online to know.

At this moment, like so much else as far as MH is concerned, it is still far from conclusive and is like a lot of you I'm sure, literal gibberish! (java coding and computer game speak generally :D )

The scar is far from “faint and indistinct”, as it’s been described. I wonder why they’ve downplayed it this entire time. I think it could be how some of the rule outs were made so quickly.

I completely agree. It almost looks like its from an emergency exploratory laparotomy to see if there was perineal bleeding. I say this because if it was an upper abdominal issue the scar wouldn't go so far down the abdomen/pelvic region. They would have only cut from upper abdomen to umbilical area. Just my two cents as a very experienced ER nurse.

I'm not sure why they're downplaying it so much though. Its odd.

I completely agree. It almost looks like its from an emergency exploratory laparotomy to see if there was perineal bleeding. I say this because if it was an upper abdominal issue the scar wouldn't go so far down the abdomen/pelvic region. They would have only cut from upper abdomen to umbilical area. Just my two cents as a very experienced ER nurse.

I'm not sure why they're downplaying it so much though. Its odd.

Does it appear an "old" scar turanna, in your view of course?

Does it appear an "old" scar turanna, in your view of course?

In my opinion, yes. It does not appear to be a new scar (within the last month or two).

If it was a new abdominal surgery... typically those patients are sent home with an abdominal binder to help with pain, mobility, and healing. Also, new incision sites are typically covered with surgical bandages and are slightly inflamed/reddened due to healing. Also, recovering from an abdominal surgery while hiking... that would be incredibly difficult especially with how heavy it was reported his pack weighed. You use your abdominal muscles A LOT to walk let alone carry something on your back. Most discharge instructions for abdominal surgery tell you not to lift more than 15 lbs for months afterwards. I couldn't imagine that being the case here. The scar just doesn't look new or relatively new to me and it doesn't coincide with his physical activity. JMO though.

Last edited:
In my opinion, yes. It does not appear to be a new scar (within the last month or two).

If it was a new abdominal surgery... typically those patients are sent home with an abdominal binder to help with pain, mobility, and healing. Also, new incision sites are typically covered with surgical bandages and are slightly inflamed/reddened due to healing. Also, recovering from an abdominal surgery while hiking... that would be incredibly difficult especially with how heavy it was reported his pack weighed. You use your abdominal muscles A LOT to walk let alone carry something on your back. Most discharge instructions for abdominal surgery tell you not to lift more than 15 lbs for months afterwards. I couldn't imagine that being the case here. The scar just doesn't look new or relatively new to me and it doesn't coincide with his physical activity. JMO though.

Thank you, great point on the post-op restrictions and general rehab (both in a therapeutic and physiological sense). I spent a short time in the military (emphasis on short) and it was both a training aim and regular exercise to strengthen the core muscle groups around the torso to support the bergens, which basically weighed what MH's did.

We were conditioned into this weight as well.

On your point re the strenuous nature of the hike, this is a rabbit hole in waiting for me. What MH accomplished was really quite something.

55-60 lbs pack, for a year while he weighed less than 150lbs I would venture for most all of it AND while reportedly eating a lot less than optimal AND while carrying obvious physical injuries AND in terrain which was hardly flat and forgiving.

This was only really brought home to me while perusing the social media groups of AT hikers where they rightly hold regular debates on the merits of shedding literal half pounds of weight.

Here is a video I made on the non-verbals displayed by MH in the short clip we have of him.

Now, I want to make it clear here I view non-verbals as very much secondary in detecting deception compared to statement analysis, but for general overviews of someone's disposition at a given time, they are invaluable.

I appreciate the sun is at an angle that probably would have affected his head angle, but that being said there are far too many instances of avoidance of direct eye contact.

What does this mean? Well, I don't see it as conducive to any nefarious reason.

MH is in numerous photographs and spent months in a tent really not that far from civilization in his latter days. That being said, he is most definitely avoiding being filmed face on here directly here, confirmed when he peers closer and then backs away towards the end.

It also gives a rare insight into his physique, which is interesting. We always see pictures of him as skinny and slender, but he had well-developed shoulders and upper arms which remind me very much of someone involved previously in swimming/triathlon or calisthenics.

Here is a video I made on the non-verbals displayed by MH in the short clip we have of him.

Now, I want to make it clear here I view non-verbals as very much secondary in detecting deception compared to statement analysis, but for general overviews of someone's disposition at a given time, they are invaluable.

I appreciate the sun is at an angle that probably would have affected his head angle, but that being said there are far too many instances of avoidance of direct eye contact.

What does this mean? Well, I don't see it as conducive to any nefarious reason.

MH is in numerous photographs and spent months in a tent really not that far from civilization in his latter days. That being said, he is most definitely avoiding being filmed face on here directly here, confirmed when he peers closer and then backs away towards the end.

It also gives a rare insight into his physique, which is interesting. We always see pictures of him as skinny and slender, but he had well-developed shoulders and upper arms which remind me very much of someone involved previously in swimming/triathlon or calisthenics.

When I watch this video, I think of a few things. First and foremost is that the individual talking to him, aside from being incapable of keeping his Go Pro still,
is standing up higher than MH which is forcing him to look into glare. I don't believe he is avoiding eye contact, more like saving his eyes from the sun. Second, is that others are wearing long sleeved tops which suggests it might be quite cool, and they don't look like they are ready to move any time soon and that MH is ready to start hiking to get the blood going to deal with the chill. Third, I think he is moving from side to side and adjusting his stance because standing on uneven terrain makes carrying a heavy pack makes it heavier. He wants to get going but he's too polite to say anything. Fourth, we have watched his physique change over the months he was on the trail. Initially, he was fuller faced and his colour was good. Arms and legs seemed well defined if not muscular. His hands are long fingered and elegant, like a pianist and he uses his hands when he talks, although, holding onto hiking poles while trying to balance a heavy pack on uneven terrain makes it difficult to do that.

Overall, I appreciate your conclusions based on your own interpretations even though I don't agree with them. There are too many images of him looking square at the camera where he hasn't tried to hide his face and he engages with the photographer, smiling, etc.

I had a funny feeling you'd disagree actually, having read your past posts. Thanks for your input though!

Also FWIW, I'm a trained Podiatrist. I spent 3 years studying exclusively the foot and ankle and their comorbidities. MH has a dropped 1st metatarsal on his right foot that 99/100 Podiatrists would notice the second they lay eyes on his PM photos - a point which I just read you refuting.

In fact, you didn't even notice it which kind of says it all.

He clearly has either psoriatic or rheumatoid arthritis, probably the former given the presentation appears unilateral. Certainly in regards to his feet. His finger interdigital are noticeably swollen in his Georgia camping store picture. There is a picture of him actively inspecting his right foot 1st metatarsal area where it most certainly isn't dropped to the degree in the PM photos.

Now I can sit here and play Captain Contrarian all night too but I think you get my drift.

Last edited:
I'm reviewing his notes in-depth for another vid I'm making.

What's interesting is that the trail bar macronutrient details read like he's inputting programming for a game character. They make sense from a nutrition POV, but he's making note of literal single-digit calorie amounts in difference and quarter grams of weight.

He is extremely fastidious in noting increases in calories. This is an environment where almost all hikers shed a considerable amount of body weight regardless of how much they eat.

Interesting too that he took into account such minuscule changes in weight of said bars but none of his own pack load.

Last edited:
I'm also not unconvinced there wasn't a "legacy" aspect of his notes. Not a last will and testament as such but he used the pronoun "we" in as much a collective sense as a third-person one IMHO.

That and the fact he kept them with him instead of tossing them into the swamp of course.

I had a funny feeling you'd disagree actually, having read your past posts. Thanks for your input though!

Also FWIW, I'm a trained Podiatrist. I spent 3 years studying exclusively the foot and ankle and their comorbidities. MH has a dropped 1st metatarsal on his right foot that 99/100 Podiatrists would notice the second they lay eyes on his PM photos - a point which I just read you refuting.

In fact, you didn't even notice it which kind of says it all.

He clearly has either psoriatic or rheumatoid arthritis, probably the former given the presentation appears unilateral. Certainly in regards to his feet. His finger interdigital are noticeably swollen in his Georgia camping store picture. There is a picture of him actively inspecting his right foot 1st metatarsal area where it most certainly isn't dropped to the degree in the PM photos.

Now I can sit here and play Captain Contrarian all night too but I think you get my drift.

Kudos that you became a podiatrist, however, I fail to see how that gives you the ability to interpret whether an individual is avoiding eye contact or is avoiding looking at the sun. As a lay person, wrong or not, I am quite comfortable going with the latter!

Did the coroner overlook evidence of arthritis, psoriatic or rheumatoid during autopsy? I thought it seemed that MH was depressingly healthy other than the fact he died from starvation and cachexia.

And try as I might, I can't recall one individual who met him in the flesh suggesting MH was not who he seemed to be, that in reality he was shifty eyed and untrustworthy hiding his true demeanor or personality.

I didn't refute anything about his right foot metatarsal since I'm not a podiatrist. You can't refute what you aren't aware of. However, since you are an expert in the field of podiatry (which might be a good idea to become a verified expert in your field, btw) can you show me on this image where there is evidence of psoriatic arthritis?

Attachments

• close up of right hand 1.jpg
    close up of right hand 1.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors