FL FL - Broward Co, WhtFem 11-19, UP1262, Skeletal, seashell pendant, Sep'83

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
That would be pretty unusual. I wonder why they think she may have had one, maybe they found a bag nearby?

The wikipedia entry for colostomy states:

Children undergoing surgery for extensive pelvic tumors commonly are given a colostomy in preparation for surgery to remove the tumor, followed by reversal of the colostomy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colostomy

However given the other leg and hip injuries she'd suffered, it's possible that she may have also had serious abdominal injuries in an accident such as an RTA.

ETA: It seems a colostomy can also be used for Crohns and diverticulitis, but I'm not sure how well recognised those conditions were 35 years ago and how they were or were not treated.

Also the wikipedia article states:

Loop colostomy: This type of colostomy is usually used in emergencies and is a temporary and large stoma. A loop of the bowel is pulled out onto the abdomen and held in place with an external device.

I've no idea what such a device might look like (maybe one of the medical bods here could clarify this) but maybe this was what they found with the remains.

ETA scratch that last idea. Apparently the device is a bridge to support the pulled out loop of the gut and is usually only left in place for a few days.

However given the other leg and hip injuries she'd suffered, it's possible that she may have also had serious abdominal injuries in an accident such as an RTA.

(MelmothTheLost's original quote respectfully shortened by me.) That makes a lot of sense actually, I hadn't previously thought of the two conditions being interrelated in that way (as in both being injuries that were the result of the same major traumatic event). For some reason I was thinking it was two separate issues, don't know why now.

Isn't 11 - 19 a very large age range estimate, given that so much development goes on with bones and teeth during the teens?

It might not have been possible to estimate her age more closely back in 1983 when the original autopsy was done, but surely a closer estimate could be given now. She must have been exhumed or re-examined at some point in order to take a DNA sample so I'd have expected them to review the autopsy or carry out a second autopsy at the same time so see what more they could now determine.

I'm still new to this and don't fancy myself very good with faces, but these are the people mention that I "like" just because of how much I feel they look like this unidentified woman.

Ellen Linda Ackers. I think the date of disappearance is about a year more than this Jane Doe and she seems heavier. But I think she wide shape of the face matches. Jane Doe's eyes appear a little more narrow.
WS page: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...15-Ormond-Beach-18-April-1981&highlight=ellen

Leah Jean Van Schoik: Again, a little heavier than Jane Doe, but the narrow eyes match well. Date of disappearance would fit on the longer side, since it was about a year.
Her WS page: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...oick-17-Plantation-15-Aug-1982&highlight=leah

I think they all have potential, really. I dismissed a few because of weight, but it's possible she could have been held and lost weight somehow?

Does it hurt to mass submit possibilities?

Were these two submitted?

I particularly like Ellen Akers as a possibility because she and the Jane Doe both can be described as having extensive dental work. If no one else wants to send them in I will, just wanted too check first to avoid sending in duplicate submissions. I think they should at least be ruled out.

Could Barbara Ann Bockworth be possible? She also has extensive dental work, and appears to possibly have an overbite.

Barbara Ann Bockwith – The Charley Project

She disappeared in December of 1979 at 20, so would be a bit outside the age, etc. Escambia and Browsed are also opposite ends of the stste, but her car was discovered at long term parking at the airport, along with off behavior by a boyfriend, so who knows?

I've never submitted, having only recently joined. If anyone feels it's a possible match, and has contacts from previous suggestions, please go ahead.

I'm reading up on advice for submitting.

Edited: I was trying to get a better view of the necklace(s) she is wearing to see what the pendant is, but am not having much luck.

I'm also wondering if it's possible Barbara could have hidden fractures to her wrist, etc received during fights with her boyfriend? It sounds from the details that they had a an complicated/abusive relationship, and she wasn't forthcoming with family about the details.

I've never submitted, having only recently joined. If anyone feels it's a possible match, and has contacts from previous suggestions, please go ahead.

I'm reading up on advice for submitting.

Edited: I was trying to get a better view of the necklace(s) she is wearing to see what the pendant is, but am not having much luck.

It appears to be a plain scallop shell: (The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs))

Original

Thank you. I should have clarified: I meant the necklace, or necklaces Barbara is pictured wearing. I can see a thin chain in two of her photos,but it isn't clear what the pendant is. In one, I think a seagull perhaps? Or a cross? The other is cropped, so may not have a pendant.

Her details also mention her boyfriend ripping a necklace off her during a fight.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back