GUILTY FL - Calyx, 16, & Beau Schenecker, 13, shot to death, Tampa, 27 Jan 2011 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How fast is Windmoor going to pull out a huge copy of the HIPPAA Privacy Rule and hide behind it?

They released her knowing she had homicidal thoughts about her children?

They didn't think that her children deserved to be protected?

So much for Do No Harm.

My prayer for Julie is that she never has to go off her medication and that the Department of Corrections is always able to treat her. Along with that she never has to lose control of herself and feel the need to murder another human.

I really think the structured setting of prison is probably the best for her -- she'll have to follow a daily routine, she'll have someone dispensing her meds and making sure she takes them (with all her memory issues, one wonders if she was remembering her meds before the murders), she won't be abusing alcohol or prescription drugs (or, at least it would be quite difficult to do). I don't know how good the psychological treatment is at Lowell, but, quite frankly, I wasn't impressed with what she was getting at USF.

Supposed to be something about this on news tonight?

ABC Action News ‏@abcactionnews 7m7 minutes ago
#JulieSchenecker tells the secret that led her to kill her children.
Watch part 2 of Schenecker's interview tonight at 11 on @abcactionnews

I read about this in the Daily Mail today.

Boy, she's a cold one, although I do think she suffers severe mental illness.

Criminally insane? Nah. She planned it. Read her her journal entries.

I can't excuse her crime, despite her latest reasoning.

No remorse and a menace to society, JMO

I have just started watching opening statements on YouTube after reading the daily mail article and watching her jail interview. Yowza...she is a piece of work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Supposed to be something about this on news tonight?

ABC Action News ‏@abcactionnews 7m7 minutes ago
#JulieSchenecker tells the secret that led her to kill her children.
Watch part 2 of Schenecker's interview tonight at 11 on @abcactionnews

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/l...veals-family-secret-that-destroyed-her-family

"That was the only thing that I could think of doing to protect them," Schenecker said.

That family secret: Her lifelong struggles with mental illness. Schenecker said she and her husband, Col. Parker Schenecker, covered it up. She gave an example of an incident at a party.

I think this woman is obviously insane. But if I was on the jury, I don't think I could vote not guilty by reason of insanity. I haven't really followed the trial so I don't know if that was an option. But the thing is, to find someone not guilty by reason of insanity is extremely difficult. Even in cases where the person is obviously very sick. The law just does not allow people to escape criminal liability just because they are mentally ill.
And this one planned what she was doing and she knew that it was wrong. At the time that she did it, she did not believe she was saving her children from some unnamed horror. She did it because she claimed they were "mouthy".

I don't know. I guess it's hard for me to figure out when a person's mental disease absolves them from guilt or responsibility for what they do. I am conflicted.

I think this woman is obviously insane. But if I was on the jury, I don't think I could vote not guilty by reason of insanity. I haven't really followed the trial so I don't know if that was an option. But the thing is, to find someone not guilty by reason of insanity is extremely difficult. Even in cases where the person is obviously very sick. The law just does not allow people to escape criminal liability just because they are mentally ill.
And this one planned what she was doing and she knew that it was wrong. At the time that she did it, she did not believe she was saving her children from some unnamed horror. She did it because she claimed they were "mouthy".

I don't know. I guess it's hard for me to figure out when a person's mental disease absolves them from guilt or responsibility for what they do. I am conflicted.

Your right very few cases win not guilty by reason of insanity plea which really baffles me as to why state mental hospitals are so overcrowded. What recent mental illness cases actually have won that defense? Only one that comes to mind is Andrea Yates and I don't even recall her being completely insane and that she didn't know the difference between right or wrong.

Woman convicted in double murder wants new trial

In a motion filed by Shenecker, she says her attorneys made mistakes, such as leaving out critical video evidence of her at the hospital after the incident - to show she was insane at the time.

The motion also says jurors appeared to already have their minds made up, as they slept through parts of the trial.

JMO but she should not get a new trial. She knew exactly what she was doing when she killed her children and needs to spend the rest of her life in prison. I think she deserved the death penalty, they had proof the murders were premeditated.
Tampa woman convicted of killing her kids seeks new trial - ABC News (go.com)

During the 2014 trial, Schenecker’s attorneys presented testimony about her mental health history and use of antidepressants and mood stabilizers. Prosecutors acknowledged her history of mental illness, but also pointed to a spiral notebook where she had written plans to kill the children as evidence she knew what she was doing.

MOO

All of that evidence could be shown to a new jury if the judge rules in Schenecker's favor. The judge could enter a written ruling in the next few weeks.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iwantapuppy
Back