GUILTY FL - Carlie Brucia, 11, Sarasota, 1 February 2004

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I dont understand how someone with three daughters could do such a thing to this beautiful girl. I'm sure if someone done something like this to one of his daughters he would want them sentenced to death

dancingdaisy said:
I dont understand how someone with three daughters could do such a thing to this beautiful girl. I'm sure if someone done something like this to one of his daughters he would want them sentenced to death
I am sure he would as well, i didnt even know he had 3 daughters, i didnt watch much of this trial i couldnt even stand to watch the video of him taking her, it was like i wanted to scream at the tv, RUN THE OTHER WAY.. .....Its soooooo sad.....I could slap the mess out of him for being so selfish to do this horrible crime, he acted on pure evilness.....

During the storm we had this past weekend with extremely high winds, I stayed home on Monday. The BarnGod and I watched the trial through Monday. I told him as I walked in the house that I heard the verdict. He was over the moon. Like everyone says, if this is not a case FOR the death penalty, then no other is.

I'm not at all surprised. I wish that now that Smith will be put away Carlie could come back home and be safe. Even though her mom got her wish it really doesn't change anything for her. Her little girl is gone forever and my heart really goes out to her and Carlie's dad.

dancingdaisy said:
I agree ... I actually feel sorry for his children, too. And of course Carlie who will never breathe again. She didn't deserve this, her family didn't deserve this and his family didn't deserve this either. He caused a lot of people a lot of pain and that pain will never go away. :(

I wonder if he realizes how many lives he has crushed?

PrayersForMaura said:
I agree ... I actually feel sorry for his children, too. And of course Carlie who will never breathe again. She didn't deserve this, her family didn't deserve this and his family didn't deserve this either. He caused a lot of people a lot of pain and that pain will never go away. :(

I wonder if he realizes how many lives he has crushed?
He probably knows what a fool he is and he should be shaking in his boots, he should be scared to death that nobody gets him before the state does....

I can't understand why anyone would vote against the death penalty in this case. Does anyone have any ideas?

I can understand someone being against the death penalty. However, aren't the jurors questioned before they are chosen for a death qualified jury in such a way that a person who is 100% against the death penalty, no matter what, isn't chosen for the jury? I am not from Florida so do I have this right? If it is right then I just can't comprehend why two jurors voted life for Joseph Smith. Thankfully it didn't prevent a death verdict. But why? There was zero doubt that the man was guilty and there were six mitigating factors presented. His own immediate family didn't ask that his life be spared.

Czarthethird said:
I can't understand why anyone would vote against the death penalty in this case. Does anyone have any ideas?

I can understand someone being against the death penalty. However, aren't the jurors questioned before they are chosen for a death qualified jury in such a way that a person who is 100% against the death penalty, no matter what, isn't chosen for the jury? I am not from Florida so do I have this right? If it is right then I just can't comprehend why two jurors voted life for Joseph Smith. Thankfully it didn't prevent a death verdict. But why? There was zero doubt that the man was guilty and there were six mitigating factors presented. His own immediate family didn't ask that his life be spared.

Personally, I think cases like this are what the death penalty was made for. When the jury is selected, each of them must certify that in a capital case, they would be willing to recommend that sentence. All I can offer as a possible reason is that while answering questions before jury selection, it may be easier to say you could sentence someone to death than actually being able to carry it out???? That's all I've got. I know its not much. What they possibly didn't think about was the fact that they (the jury) doesn't actually do the sentencing. A judge has to do that. All they do is recommend. Regardless, in this case, I believe that the judge will sentence him to death.

dancingdaisy said:
Since he was forbidden contact with his own daughters before the crime, and neither his mother, brother, ex-wife or children came forward to plead for his life, odds are something like this WAS done to his children.

A few years ago when smith was arrested for the attempted abduction of a woman in Bradenton, the idiotic jury bought his story that he was just trying to grab her to push her away from traffic... if they had put him behind bars then, precious Carlie would still be here today. Hindsight is always 20/20... Of course now he will sit on death row for probably longer then carlie was here on earth. Not too much justice in that. Having met Carlie on several occasions (through my daughter) this whole tragedy has touched my life in a personal way that I never imagined. My 13 year old daughter is living a different life now then she would have had this not happened 2 blocks from our home. She does not take the bus to or from school, I drive her. She is not allowed to walk around the mall without me or go to movies without me or even go down the block without me watching from the sidewalk... Perhaps some would think this is drastic, but I believe we are living in a frightening society where evil and sick pedophiles and criminals have more rights and definitely more freedom. I do not know how long she will let me impose these kind of boundaries but both of us have cried our hearts out for Carlie and right now she is understanding and perhaps afraid herself of the sickness that lurks out there. When I looked up how many sexual offenders were currently living in my county alone, there were over 200, with many just blocks from me. In the meantime I will wait anxiously for this monster pig to be put to death, it's just to bad that they no longer use ole' sparky. Sleep is way to easy!

they showed baby pics of him to prove he was actually at some stage a human,and didnt contrary to our beliefs crawl out from under a rock!
I love the girlfriend one, talk about a Wannbee!!!LMAO pleeeeeeeeezzzzzze
big deal you dated him ions ago so what???? I think that shows what sort of person she is .........DUMB.......... I have to ask everyone would you stand up in court for a guy who did that coz ya dated him years before????Not me I would deny deny deny!! Hell I wouldnt want anyone to think I was ever that low!! At the end of the day the got what he deserved and not soon enough, We are doing his kids a favour by disposing of him they can maybe move on and be productive without having him around to influence them.
And as you all said no women from his family were on the stand pleading for him.................speaks for its self!

Dolceaura, I am so sorry for what you and your daughter are going through. It is scary enough for those of us who don't know the victims. When you know the victim, that kind of tears down the illusion that those things happen somewhere else, to other people. I am glad your daughter is accepting your protective measures, and hope that maybe when she is 30 or 40 years old (just kidding of course :D) hopefully when she is old enough to be more on her own, this will help to make her aware that it does happen to people like us and in our neighborhoods. And hopefully she will be more alert to her safety.
If you are interested, there is a thread in the Couey forum which contains a video that talks to kids about protection measures they can take. There is also some discussion of protective measures to practice with your child.

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23338

Brucia's mother, Susan Schorpen, broke into tears after hearing the jury's decision and hugged several people in the courtroom, including members of the prosecution. (Watch the jury hand down its decision -- 1:12)

Speaking to reporters outside the courthouse in Sarasota, Schorpen said she was pleased with the decision, but she expressed distress that the justice system would allow Smith so many appeals before being executed.

"It should happen today. It's not going to, but it's a step in the right direction," she said. "He couldn't be dead fast enough for me. I want him dead. I want him dead now."

Asked if it mattered whether Smith was put to death or spent the rest of his life behind bars, Schorpen firmly stated, "My daughter's not breathing. She'll never breathe again. I can never hold her again. I've got to wait for appeals before, you know, he dies? It matters to me."

At one point during Riva's closing arguments Thursday, a man yelled out a similar sentiment: "Let's string him up now." The man was removed from the courtroom and later charged with a misdemeanor, Sarasota police said.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/12/01/smith.sentenced/index.html

Hi Dolceaura,

Mysteriew said it all, but I am glad your daughter has you for a mommy! You do live in a very high density of sex abusers. But at least you know who they are and where they live, right? I say that as I don't know if you have all that info.

In Beaverton Oregon where I live, you can't go on the web to find out anything unless you have the name of the person who is a sex offender! Isn't that flipping amazing? We have to go through way too much rigamarole in Oregon to find out who lives close to us that is a predator.

Nice to meet you Dolceaura, and you just keep thumbs up on your daughter. She's going to be fine.

Scandi

Thank you for the link to the kids safety video. We were able to view some clips from that and it definitely is very educational, even for adult women! I hope to purchase it soon.

dolceaura said:
My 13 year old daughter is living a different life now then she would have had this not happened 2 blocks from our home. She does not take the bus to or from school, I drive her. She is not allowed to walk around the mall without me or go to movies without me or even go down the block without me watching from the sidewalk... Perhaps some would think this is drastic, but I believe we are living in a frightening society where evil and sick pedophiles and criminals have more rights and definitely more freedom. !

I don't think its drastic at all. I think its what all parents should be doing. Unfortunately, there are predators out there trying to abduct our children. We're what stands in their way.

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/crime/63338

CARLIE BRUCIA SENSATION: FINAL INSULT

Her Ashes Are Left In A Crackhouse

By DAVID WRIGHT

Murdered schoolgirl Carlie Brucia didn't deserve this. The National Enquirer has learned that her mother Susan Schorpen, an admitted drug user, left her slain 11-year-old daughter's ashes in a seedy crack den six months ago. The ashes were in a small copper urn which was left inside the sordid house used by prostitutes and drug addicts.

"It's the final, cruel hurt for poor Carlie," said a friend.

When we broke the sad news to Carlie's father, Joe Brucia, he said angrily: "It's unconscionable — the most horrible thing I can think of. It sheds light on the real Susan Schorpen."

So have they been found and relocated to her father??? or have they just been tossed in the garbage at some stage?

Jamie said:
http://www.nationalenquirer.com/crime/63338

CARLIE BRUCIA SENSATION: FINAL INSULT

Her Ashes Are Left In A Crackhouse

By DAVID WRIGHT

Murdered schoolgirl Carlie Brucia didn't deserve this. The National Enquirer has learned that her mother Susan Schorpen, an admitted drug user, left her slain 11-year-old daughter's ashes in a seedy crack den six months ago. The ashes were in a small copper urn which was left inside the sordid house used by prostitutes and drug addicts.

"It's the final, cruel hurt for poor Carlie," said a friend.

When we broke the sad news to Carlie's father, Joe Brucia, he said angrily: "It's unconscionable — the most horrible thing I can think of. It sheds light on the real Susan Schorpen."
This is horrible...

I am still trying to find out the result as to what happened to these abandoned ashes, and how did they find this out??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Required
Back