GUILTY FL - Carlie Brucia, 11, Sarasota, 1 February 2004

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Jeana (DP) said:
Very sad update:

CLEARWATER, Fla. — The mother of the 11-year-old girl whose abduction was captured by a security camera two years ago pleaded no contest Monday to drug and prostitution charges and was sentenced to 90 days in jail.

Susan Schorpen has said she acknowledged problems with drug addiction and depression since the slaying of her daughter, Carlie Brucia, in February 2004.

Schorpen, 36, was sentenced to 90 days in jail for the felony drug charge and 25 days on the misdemeanor count of facilitating prostitution — which means the officer suspected her of prostitution although she did not offer sex for money

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,188516,00.html

This is so sad. A victim's family suffers greatly. I am glad he has gotten death. One because of Carlie and two because of the hurt this child's mom has got to live with for the rest of her life.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/news/ap/0306/2113_slain_girs_mom_sentenced.html

The mother of the 11-year-old girl whose abduction was captured by a security camera two years ago pleaded no contest Monday to drug and prostitution charges and was sentenced to 90 days in jail.

Susan Schorpen has said she acknowledged problems with drug addiction and depression since the slaying of her daughter, Carlie Brucia, in February 2004.

*more at link*

I think that is a fabulous idea! Says it's louder than a car alarm. That's awesome. It's sad that it's come to this, but anything to help deter abductions. I've never seen this before--I think it needs to be advertised more to get it out there so people are aware that it exists.

Thanks for the post, maima!:)

I think it's a great idea, too. However, my girls go through at least 2 book bags a years, so the price is a little steep for us.

2luvmy said:
I think it's a great idea, too. However, my girls go through at least 2 book bags a years, so the price is a little steep for us.

They are a little costly. I wonder how they happened to be named for Carlie B...that is really interesting. Pretty cool to have a safety backpack named for her though.

there are so many threads on carlie, sorry if i post this in the wrong place, but i was confused:)

SARASOTA - Three years to the day 11-year-old Carlie Brucia was reported missing, families gathered for the Kids' Safety Rally at Central Church of Christ in Sarasota in hopes of preventing another child abduction and murder.

Since Carlie's body was found discarded among brush and a tangle of Brazilian pepper trees behind the church, the area has blossomed into a beautiful garden.

Members of Central Church of Christ, together with those who loved Carlie, teamed up to plant the garden as a memorial to the 11-year-old whose life was cut short.

The garden has become a place to reflect for family members, including Carlie's aunt, Angela Schorpen. The day Carlie was taken away from them, a family was shattered, said Schorpen, the sister-in-law of Carlie's mother, Susan Schorpen.

"This is the only peace we have," she said, sitting next to the koi pond and granite memorial that marks the spot her niece's body was found.

Susan Schorpen, in jail on prostitution and drug charges, has become estranged from her remaining family, including Angela's husband and Susan's own 9-year-old son Leif, who lay in an intensive care unit Saturday.

There were banners and notebooks for people to sign and send their good wishes to Leif, as many prayed once again for a family whose tragedy made national headlines just three years ago.

more:
http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/16618473.htm

Sheromom said:
Such a very sad story. Prayers for Leif.

I hope little Leif will have a full recovery from his injuries. He lost his sister in such a horrible way when he was only six and now he is badly hurt from the accident.

This is indeed a very sad story. This family has been through so much. My prayers go out to them.

I hope the little one recovers from his injurys. I always cringe when I read "head injurys." The poor little guy has been through enough in his short life. Maybe Susan believes that her little boy is better off without her coming and going in her life too. It's to bad that she can't get into a long term lock down rehab and really work on grieving and getting clean and sober. She has self medicated so much that she probably hasn't really grieved for Carly. The whole thing is just such a tragedy in so many ways.

Leif has had a complete recovery from his horrific accident and 2 week coma stint...it was horrible, but thank goodness he is thriving, growing, and an active 11 year old boy now.
Thankyou for all your well wishes. I print out all of this, to add to his hope chest, one day when he is older he can go thru and see how many folks out there are really good caring people.

Convicted killer of Sarasota girl appeals death sentence
The man convicted of killing Sarasota 11-year-old Carlie Brucia in 2004 has been sitting on death row for more than a decade. Now, he is trying to be resentenced under the state's new death penalty law.

(...) Joseph Smith is appealing his sentence, arguing it's no longer valid under the new law, which requires a unanimous jury recommendation for death before the death penalty can be imposed.

Some sad news: Carlie's mother died.

Mother of Carlie Brucia dead

Susan Schorpen, 47, passed away Monday. A spokesperson for the Polk County Medical Examiners office has not released a cause of death, pending a toxicology report. Foul play is not expected.

Some sad news: Carlie's mother died.

Mother of Carlie Brucia dead

Susan Schorpen, 47, passed away Monday. A spokesperson for the Polk County Medical Examiners office has not released a cause of death, pending a toxicology report. Foul play is not expected.

Ya, I saw this on the news today while I was at work. The headline was actually 'update in the Carlie Brucia case', or something like that. I stopped in my tracks, to see, thinking that Joseph Smith got his new sentencing trail.

Thankfully, He didn't.

But with the passing of Carlie's Mom, it's saddening to know that he's still alive. For there is no doubt, not one bit, that he murdered poor Carlie. He should have been taken out back and injected already.

(((Florida's 'majority rules' for death sentences has been deemed unconstitutional and many on death row are looking for new sentencing trials. Smith, included. IIRC, the jury was 10-2 for death. ))

The news doesn't surprise me in the least, I'm actually surprised it took this long. On her last downward spiral you could tell she had no way to come back... and no one left to help her.

Unfortunately, with the attempted appeal, I have a feeling JS will now spill some info regarding SS that wasn't known/believed before, as there is no one left to speak against what he says. Hopefully that will not give any leniency or reasons for a vacated sentence. However we all know Florida juries... and its a much different Sarasota today than it was 13 years ago.

Death sentence for Carlie Brucia’s killer vacated, 11-year-old murdered in Sarasota in 2004

A former auto mechanic found guilty of strangling an 11-year-old Sarasota girl, whose abduction was captured by a security camera and whose case garnered worldwide attention, will receive a new sentencing trial.

Circuit Judge Charles Roberts on Tuesday granted a part of Joseph Smith’s motion to vacate his death sentence for the kidnapping, sexual assault and murder of Carlie Brucia.

Protesters ralled outside Sarasota courthouse demanding justice for Carlie Brucia
Protesters gathered outside the Sarasota County courthouse Thursday to demand justice for 11-year-old Carlie Brucia after a hearing for the man convicted of kidnapping, raping and strangling her to death was canceled.

Court proceedings have been halted in the re-sentencing of Joseph Smith for the 2004 kidnapping, rape and murder of Carlie as the state appeals the District Court of Appeal’s decision to vacate his death sentence in the wake of changes to Florida’s death penalty laws.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phonekace14
Back