GUILTY FL - Carlie Brucia, 11, Sarasota, 1 February 2004

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
MomLady said:
I just read in a magazine (Better Homes and Gardens, I think??) about a program that teaches children to avoid possible abductors. I think there were 3 strategies, one was for kids on bikes. I believe the dropping or crouching move was in the article also......
JMO-and my two cents worth! :twocents:

I tried to do a search for anything on that guy that I'd mentioned earlier who did the safety thing on tv, but it was hard...don't remember his name.

I did find this part of an article on a site about child safety, which mentions dropping down ....it was (I'm copying and pasting that part)

Martha McArthur with the Safety Programs with Block Parents said:

Andrews adds that if the worst should happen and "someone is attempting to take your child and grabs them, the child should fall to the ground and start kicking and screaming, to bite if necessary, anything it takes. The child wants to make as much noise and create as much diversion as possible so that

Did you read that article...? The family brought a psychic in who feels Carlie is alive but tied up somewhere in the dark.

They are talking about the case are Greta now. Mentioned the physic, Cass. A PI said they just came into some leads in the last few minutes and is calling the police.

I thought it was kind of strange that Carlie cut through a carwash on her way home. Seemed a bit strange to me.

Justalurker said:
I thought it was kind of strange that Carlie cut through a carwash on her way home. Seemed a bit strange to me.

Edited to say that I just watched a news report that said there's an opening towards the back of the carwash that leads right to Carlies house, so I guess it's not so strange afterall. I do think its a bit strange that she decided to leave a sleep over from a girlfriend's house but didn't have anything with her. When I was a kid and went to a sleepover, I brought a nightgown, change of clothes, stuff like that. I'm not 100% convinced she didn't know the man. I'm sure they're checking the family computer and her internet usage. God bless you, Carlie.

nixmom said:
Dannyodie, I agree with that the schools should have self defense programs for children and think that some of them already do. I don't know about the public schools in our area, but my son attends a private school and our PTA paid for someone to come to the school to teach the children ways in which to defend themselves. It was a three hour program and the children were split into age groups so that each grade was given methods that were tailored to their particluar age group. It was worth every single penny of the the $1,500.00 we spent!

I've got one grandson really into martial arts and I'm planning to send the other two, and my youngest daughter. Hopefully it may help them not only with confidence, but could be used for protection

Surely he knew about the camera if he onced worked at the car wash. This doesn't look good. The statistics I looked up said that the first 3 hours are critical to finding a child alive.

I beleive I heard that a physic had said she was alive and in a dark place and tied up. that could be? I believe that this guy didn't know about the camera otherwise he would have waited till she was out of view of it. one article said that a florida man walking one morning in kissemmesee at 550 am said he saw a man and girl struggling and that it look like she was trying to get away. if that was on tuesday. I hope that she was not left in the hands of yet another person. I fear that if she is alive and tied up somewhere he won't tell until time has passed by. by looking at this man I think for sure they have the one they need. the video camera was a godsend in this case, too bad that all abductors aren't caught on tape.. that would really be nice.. some folks think that placing cameras in the streets is a privacy issue. if you are in public then your privacy is null. in london every time you turn around there is a camera right there. that is something this country needs to increase.

Televised news conference today 2/5 at 9:00 EST.

One of Smith's former defense attorneys, C.J. Czaia, recalled that Smith sometimes wore a mechanic's uniform in 1998, when Czaia defended him on charges he attempted to abduct a woman in Manatee County.

Assistant state attorney Brian Iten, who prosecuted the case, said a couple of tourists saw Smith grab a woman and try to pull her into the woods.

http://www.newscoast.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040205/NEWS/402050731/1060

Doyle said:
One of Smith's former defense attorneys, C.J. Czaia, recalled that Smith sometimes wore a mechanic's uniform in 1998, when Czaia defended him on charges he attempted to abduct a woman in Manatee County.
Assistant state attorney Brian Iten, who prosecuted the case, said a couple of tourists saw Smith grab a woman and try to pull her into the woods.

Oh Good Lord... he has done this before :eek:

God Bless Carlie, I hope there is a break in the case soon :(

Thanks to Doyle for keeping us updated on this case. There was a segment on NBC this morning about it with Matt Lauer. Sounds like they got the culprit. I'm praying that the girl is alive and can return home.

Obviously they don't have the three strikes and you're out law in Florida. This guy has a rap sheet an inch thick....

Press conference (or whatever) on in 5......

No new news per PC.

Suspect still not cooperating. He has not yet been formally charged, but sounds like he will be soon...................

WHAT A LOW LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am reminded Alphonso Rodriguez, who kidnapped Dru Sjodin, and of the scene in Dirty Harry, where Harry has the culprit on a football field, and gets the culprit to say where the girl is.

I have a hard time with the defendants rights right now, when the girl could still be alive somewhere. Leave me, or someone else alone with this guy, and find out where she is.

txsvicki said:
I've got one grandson really into martial arts and I'm planning to send the other two, and my youngest daughter. Hopefully it may help them not only with confidence, but could be used for protection

They had a child safety expert on CNN right now...Bob Stuber and something tells me this is the man that I'd seen before on tv, giving that "pull down on the hand rather than away" manoever that I'd mentioned earlier.

He was giving tips on how a child could get away today and the first thing he said was to use the "windmill manoever" which is when the victim (whose hand or wrist is being held) makes a large circular motion(vertical) and it breaks the perp's hold..he explained that it puts the grabber's hand in an upside down position or something so that the victim can get loose and run.

He also said that it's best of course to make a lot of noise, but he said that a child should carry a whistle because it would attract much more attention than just yelling.

He said that if the child could grab a large object and hold onto it..for example if he or she is with bicycle, or could grab a large stick or garbage can...anything that might cause more difficulty to the perp as he tried to put them into a car...it would slow things down somewhat.

He stressed also..NO MATTER WHAT THEY THREATEN YOU WITH..gun or whatever...RUN..if you can, take your chances as it's unlikely you'd be shot there, but if you allow yourself to be taken to another spot, something terrible is going to happen.

Last thing he said was to be sure and tell your child that 911 is a free call from any telephone booth...you don't need money to call for help.

Doyle said:
I am reminded Alphonso Rodriguez, who kidnapped Dru Sjodin, and of the scene in Dirty Harry, where Harry has the culprit on a football field, and gets the culprit to say where the girl is.

I have a hard time with the defendants rights right now, when the girl could still be alive somewhere. Leave me, or someone else alone with this guy, and find out where she is.

I also thought of the Dru Sjodin case. I wonder if this Joe Smith has gotten a defense attorney and the attorney has advised him not to talk, also.

As a parent, I say beat the stuffing out of this pervert and get him to talk no matter what you have to do. A girls life depends of this piece of crap talking. They have him on video, this is not the first time he has done this. I am just so angry, I cannot take it anymore. They need to get him to talk, at any cost. I say send him to prison with the general population and after he get "poked" a few times, he might decide to talk to save his butt...no pun intended. :furious:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee
Back