GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 *arrests* #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OT - I searched and searched Websleuths but could not find a thread on this crime. Does anyone know if it exists and could they point me to it? Thanks!

Sweetie Pie's Tim Norman, Exotic Dancer Charged in Murder-For-Hire Plot

Sweetie Pie's Tim Norman, Exotic Dancer Charged in Murder-For-Hire Plot
I looked the other day when the news broke and again when I saw your post.
I did not find a thread either. Interesting fame and apparently not enough fortune for the murderer.
I think it will parallel another case I follow, the Elizabeth Barraza murder in Tomball, Texas. I am thinking the outcome of her case will be similar, i.e. the amount of time it is taking to solve. Shot in her driveway. A murder for hire like Markel....
Look into her case if you are interested although not a lot of activity in that thread.

If I stumble upon a sweetie pie thread. I will let you know.

Retrial in Dan Markel murder case delayed until 2021
(WCTV)
By Julie Montanaro
Published: Aug. 13, 2020 at 12:39 PM EDT
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) - A woman accused in the murder for hire of Florida State University Law Professor Dan Markel won’t go to trial until 2021.
Katherine Magbanua’s last trial ended in a mistrial, and her retrial was postponed after COVID-19 forced the courts to halt jury trials.
A judge said during a Zoom hearing Thursday that given the pandemic and the number of jurors needed, Magbanua’s trial won’t happen until next year.
Magbanua’s defense team told the judge they’ll ask the courts to release Magbanua on bond or house arrest until then. That motion has not yet been filed and a hearing date has not yet been set.
As of Thursday, court records show Magbanua has been in jail for 1,404 days since her arrest in 2016.
Magbanua is one of three people charged in Markel's murder.
Accused trigger man Sigfredo Garcia is serving a life sentence after he was found guilty at trial in October 2019.
Luis Rivera entered a plea in 2016 and is serving a 19-year prison sentence. He testified against Garcia and Magbanua at trial, saying the three plotted the murder and were paid tens of thousands of dollars for it.
Markel was shot to death behind the wheel of his car as he pulled into the garage of his Betton Hills home in July 2014. Neighbors heard the gunshots and saw a Prius driving away. Surveillance videos helped the Tallahassee Police Department track down the Prius, ultimately leading them to Garcia and Rivera.
Magbanua's next court date is set for December 3, 2020.
The judge says if her attorneys file a motion to review her custody status, "We'll get that on a docket ... pronto."
You can find WCTV’s extensive coverage of the 2019 Dan Markel murder trial here.
Copyright 2020 WCTV. All rights reserved.

Retrial in Dan Markel murder case delayed until 2021

Attachments

• image_orders (2).pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
I have on my calendar that Dateline will cover the Dan Markel case tonight. 9 pm eastern

https://www.newsobserver.com/entertainment/tv/warm-tv-blog/article246119500.html

What to Watch Thursday: ‘Dateline’ looks at shocking murder of Florida State professor

Matthew Shaer, host of the “Over My Dead Body” podcast, talks about the murder of Dan Markel on the Oct. 1, 2020, episode of “Dateline” on NBC. DATELINE NBCDateline NBC (9 p.m., NBC) - Dateline’s new “Trapped in Tallahassee” episode features the story of Florida State law professor Dan Markel, found murdered in his garage in 2015. The investigation draws national attention and the focus of the very good podcast called “Over My Dead Body.” Tonight’s report has the latest developments in the case and an inside look at the trial for the suspects accused of murdering Markel, including the newly released evidence and bombshell testimony.

The DM on DM
Lawyer for hitman who murdered Dan Markel says co-conspirator lied to court to save himself | Daily Mail Online
''The lawyer for the hitman convicted of murdering Florida law professor Dan Markel in 2014 is pointing the finger at one of his co-conspirators, slamming him as a 'lying snitch' who lied in court to save his own skin.''
'''Rivera’s story doesn’t add up to me. He rented the car, it was his firearm used to kill Dan Markel,' Zangeneh says in an exclusive clip shared with DailyMail.com from a new Dateline special entitled Tallahassee Trap that will air Thursday.

Zangeneh says Rivera is the only person who told the court that the gun was in Garcia's hand.
Host Dennis Murphy says in the special, 'That’s a bad story to hear in court.'
'Well, it’s a bad person telling a bad story,' Zangeneh replies.''

Reminder.
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/tv/article246119500.html
''Dateline NBC (9 p.m., NBC) - Dateline’s new “Trapped in Tallahassee” episode features the story of Florida State law professor Dan Markel, found murdered in his garage in 2015. The investigation draws national attention and the focus of the very good podcast called “Over My Dead Body.” Tonight’s report has the latest developments in the case and an inside look at the trial for the suspects accused of murdering Markel, including the newly released evidence and bombshell testimony.''

I decided to transcribe as best I could. I have some question marks where I wasn't quite sure...

To honorable Judge Hankinson and other people in a position of power, I hope this writing reach in good faith with better understanding.

As you may not know who I am, my name is Emmittcia T. Jones an current inmate at Leon County Detention Facility. I am writing this letter to try to get a better understanding of the judicial system. I'm trying to get an understanding because of a lovely woman I have had the blessing of coming into interaction with.

Ms. Magbanua as you may know her as, but I know her as a genuine friend. As I know this is a very tumultuous time for not only her, but also her family and ultimately her children. Being a mother myself seeing another go through something so difficult and tedious such as what Ms. Magbanua is experiencing is very stressful. As I know and understand how strenuous this may be for everyone involved, however, I feel that when you are the innocent its even worse. I say that because we were taught equality for all, but I sense a lot of inequality being present.

As I've kept up with this intriguing and interesting case, to me it just seems no one is trying to see her for who she is. I see her as a dedicated mother, devoted wife, hard worker, incredible queen (??), it seems as time prolongs (??) and days pass the system is trying to paint an image of an monster in the minds of the unknown (??). Everybody has made mistakes in some part of their life, and most have learned from them, but is it really fair to any individual or to anyone for that matter to have to suffer for other's mistakes? From toddler age we are taught to regale (??) and respect higher authoritative figures, how are we able to continue to do such if we feel the ones of higher power is being _____ (??) with their position. I'm in no shape or form to judge or pass judgement that no one is improperly doing their job, but I do feel that sometimes people of power who see (?) the truth lacks imprudence. I feel as a woman and mother that sometimes the truth is either ignored or overlooked simply because we are that, a woman. I believe with the judicial system it should be fair and honest, not just for one but for all, and I feel Ms. Magbanua is being treated very unfairly.

I do apologize and have the deepest sympathy to the victim's family, but have anyone ever stopped to take into consideration their are multiple victims involved? Or their could be multiple victims involved. Has anyone stopped to think psychologically how any or all of this unfortunate, saddening circumstances effects Ms. Magbanua's life? This was a dedicated hard working mother who has been taken away from her children, were not able to properly tell her mother goodbye before her unfortunate succumb to cancer, has imprisoned (??) so long. Until she has seen the same woman cry to go home just to return. Everyone has a story, and everyone deserves a second chance at not only life, but being forgiven. Not to simply just be ostracized and held accountable of things out of her control. We are all held accountable for our actions true enough but when will enough be enough? When the guilty is set free and the innocent imprisoned, or when everyone sees the truth when its too late?

I write understand we all have faults, we all have flaws, but even DaVinci messed up an beautiful painting and still made billions Mr. Hankinson. I write this letter in hopes that you could see Ms. Magbanua for what she truly deserves, and that's a second chance. I've never experienced a woman so humble, patient, self reserved, as she. She is a role model to so many young girls and women, including myself. She is the true definition of a Wonder Woman. The empowerment that's instilled in this inspirational, self-determined, self-disciplined queen is one that I'm pursuing (??) so I could be able to incorporate those factors into my 3 young beautiful daughters. In today's society and age, so much violence and disrespect is corrupting our youth its an amazing blessing to have older, matured generations exemplify these good characteristics.

Mr. Hankinson we are always taught to lead by example, show your good heart and believe in a second chance. I thank you and really appreciate your time for you taking away from your very extensive day to read this, and take it into consideration. May God bless!

Thankfully,
Emmittcia T. Jones
This inmate was arrested for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Magbanua is one of three suspects charged in the Florida State professor's murder. She's been in jail since 2016.

Last month, she requested to be released on bond until her next trial.

In response, Markel's family wrote a five page letter to the court.

In it they say she's a flight risk, considering she's had the financial means to pay for a private attorney over the past four years.

They also think she could be influenced or threatened by Markel's former in-laws, the Adelsons.

Family of murdered FSU law professor pushes to keep suspect in jail custody

Judge denies Magbanua’s request to await trial at home

In a ruling dated Friday, Oct. 16, the new judge on the case, Circuit Judge Robert Wheeler, denied Magbanua’s request.

Wheeler cited previous rulings denying similar bond and pre-trial release requests and rejected the pandemic as a reason to consider it now.

“Whether Defendant’s continued detainment in the Leon County Detention Facility poses a great danger to her health in light of the COVID-19 pandemic is irrelevant to this Court’s proof is evident, presumption is great analysis,” the judge wrote in his order.

Magbanua’s April retrial was postponed because of the pandemic. Her two co-defendants are already doing time for the professor’s murder. Sigfredo Garcia was found guilty at trial and sentenced to life in prison. Luis Rivera is serving 19 years in a plea deal that required him to testify against Garcia and Magbanua in court.

I'll go ahead & post this & wait until @oviedo says it did or didn't happen...

Thursday, December 3rd:
*Case Management Hearing (@ 9am ET) - FL – Daniel Eric Markel (41) (July 18, 2014, Tallahassee) - *Katherine Magbanua (32/now 35) (Garcia's wife) arrested (Oct. 2016) & charged with first-degree murder & 1 count conspiracy & 1 count solicitation of murder were brought together into one case on Tuesday (3/20/18). Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
Murder for Hire hit man. They split a $100K payoff for murder KM has rejected several offers of immunity for her testimony.
Re-Trial was set to begin 4/13/20 has been continued, no new date as of 12/3/20.
Trial started on 9/23/19. Jury: 10 women & 2 men & 1 alternate (woman); was 2 alternates one (man) got sick & excused on 10/3/19. Jury Deliberations on 10/10/19: 4.5 hours. 10/11: 6.5 hours for guilty verdict on Garcia. Mistrial declared for Magbanua. (10-2 for guilty). Total 11 hours. Will remain in jail as a charged co-conspirator, and the State will try her case again.

Court info & trial from 9/23/19 thru 7/6/20 reference post #418 here:
Found Deceased - FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #10 *arrests*

8/4/20 Update: Case management hearing moved to 8/13/20. 8/13/20 Update: The judge said during a Zoom hearing Thursday that given the pandemic & the number of jurors needed, Magbanua’s trial won’t happen until next year. Magbanua’s defense team told the judge they’ll ask the courts to release Magbanua on bond or house arrest until then. That motion has not yet been filed & a hearing date has not yet been set. Defense will be filing motion re custody & will set hearing when Judge received motion. Trial date will probably next be before 2021. Next case management hearing on 12/3/20 & will discuss setting trial date.
8/31/20 Update: 2nd motion for pretrial release following mistrial filed. 10/16/20 Update: Motion for bond & early release-denied by Judge Robert Wheeler.

Accomplices:
*Sigfredo Garcia (34) – 10/10/19: found guilty of 1st degree murder. Guilty of conspiracy. Not guilty of solicitation. Sentenced to LWOP for murder plus 30 years for conspiracy charge. 11/4/19: Motion to Withdraw as Counsel: Mauricio Padilla; Motion to Withdraw as Counsel: Saam Zangeneh.
*Luis Rivera (33) charged with 1st degree murder. Took a plea deal (Oct. 2016) & plead guilty to 2nd degree murder. Will testify against Garcia & Magbanua. Will receive 19-year sentence to run concurrently with his 12 year Federal time, which he is already serving.

POIs: Wendi Adelson (ex-wife of Markel), her bro Charlie, mom Donna Sue Adelson (68) & father Harvey Adelson. Investigators have not charged anyone in the Adelson family in connection with Markel’s death, but say Adelson’s mother and brother – Donna and Charlie Adelson – paid $100,000 to have Markel killed following the couple’s contentious divorce so their two young sons could move to South Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1