GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 *arrests* #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thursday, December 9th:
*Case Management Hearing (@ am ET) - FL – Daniel Eric Markel (41) (July 18, 2014, Tallahassee) - for *Katherine Magbanua (32/now 36) (Garcia's wife) arrested (Oct. 2016) & charged with first-degree murder & 1 count conspiracy & 1 count solicitation of murder were brought together into one case on Tuesday (3/20/18). Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
Murder for Hire hit man. They split a $100K payoff for murder KM has rejected several offers of immunity for her testimony.
First trial started on 9/23/19. Jury: 10 women & 2 men & 1 alternate (woman); was 2 alternates one (man) got sick & excused on 10/3/19. Jury Deliberations on 10/10/19: 4.5 hours. 10/11: 6.5 hours for guilty verdict on Garcia. Mistrial declared for Magbanua. (10-2 for guilty). Total 11 hours. Will remain in jail as a charged co-conspirator, and the State will try her case again.
Re-Trial was set to begin on 10/15/21 continued to 2/14/22.

Court info & trial from 9/23/19 thru 7/6/21 reference post #661 here:
MISTRIAL - FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 *arrests* #10

7/8/21 Update: For the next case management hearing they will be discussing jury selection procedures. Will have 2 days of jury selection with 2 sets of 50 people the first day & 2nd day will be the group picked from first day. Will question potential jurors about being vaccinated or not. And will possible add an additional alternate. Defendant waived her appearance for today’s hearing. But next hearing Judge wants her there. Next case management hearing on 8/25/21.
8/25/21 Update: Magbanua’s defense team raised COVID-19 concerns, asking to delay her trial in a Wednesday afternoon case management hearing. The hearing lasted just over an hour, with discussions on jury selection, discovery & evidence procedures & deadlines & the date of the trial. During the hearing, they added that Magbanua had tested positive for COVID-19 ten days prior, but negative Wednesday morning. They added that socially distancing from her during trial could unintentionally sway the jury. DeCoste & Kawass said they want to try the case but emphasize they want to do it safely. The prosecution said they are ready to move forward, objecting to a further delay of the case. Judge Robert Wheeler denied the verbal request to continue the trial to a later date in court on Wednesday, but he instructed the defense to file a written motion about their concerns. The trial date is currently set for 10/4/21. The pretrial hearing is scheduled for 9/30/21, with a filing deadline of September 17.
9/10/21 Update: Attorneys for Magbanua are seeking to disqualify prosecutors, who allege she was involved in the plot to kill Dan Markel, saying they intentionally provided the jury misleading evidence & left out information that was exculpatory during her first trial. Their claims, filed in Leon County Circuit Court Friday afternoon, lie in exhibits presented at Magbanua’s first trial in 2019. The exhibits include phone & bank records for Magbanua that they say not only were inaccurate but contained information kept from the jury that may have provided evidence in her favor. State Attorney Jack Campbell denied his office misrepresented the case — it’s being tried by Assistant State Attorney Georgia Cappleman — and said it would be inappropriate for him to discuss evidence of the case in the media. During a deposition of financial investigator Mary Hull last month, according to the court filing, she said the exhibits created by prosecutors * presented at trial were incorrect & did not accurately track Magbanua’s income. They were also different than the one provided to defense attorneys through discovery.
9/17/21 Update: There are two motions up for discussion in the Magbanua case - one to disqualify the prosecutor & another to continue the trial. Magbanua is virtually present from the Leon County Detention Center. Tara Kawass, one of Magbanua’s attorneys says the state used a demonstrative that the defense never saw until it was presented in court. Says they were deprived of options to fully vet the evidence. Kawass says there were mistakes in the call record visuals. The hearing lasted just over an hour, with discussions on jury selection, discovery and evidence procedures & deadlines, and the date of the trial. Response to Motion 1: Judge Wheeler says there is no evidence of misconduct or intent regarding testimony from Sgt. Corbett. Says there is no prejudice moving forward regarding steps for the upcoming trial. Motion 1 to disqualify is denied. The court is now moving on to the motion to continue trial. Attorney Chris DeCoste for Magbanua is handling this motion. Safety is the biggest concern as COVID continues to spread. Judge Wheeler has delayed the upcoming murder trial of Magbanua. A new trial date has been set for 2/14/22. Following jury selection, the trial is expected to last about two weeks. The case management hearing on 12/9/21.
Accomplices:
*Sigfredo Garcia (34) – 10/10/19: found guilty of 1st degree murder. Guilty of conspiracy. Not guilty of solicitation. Sentenced to LWOP for murder plus 30 years for conspiracy charge. 11/4/19: Motion to Withdraw as Counsel: Mauricio Padilla; Motion to Withdraw as Counsel: Saam Zangeneh
*Luis Rivera (33) charged with 1st degree murder. Took a plea deal (Oct. 2016) & plead guilty to 2nd degree murder. Will testify against Garcia & Magbanua. Will receive 19-year sentence to run concurrently with his 12 year Federal time, which he is already serving.

POIs: Wendi Adelson (ex-wife of Markel), her bro Charlie, mom Donna Sue Adelson (68) & father Harvey Adelson. Investigators have not charged anyone in the Adelson family in connection with Markel’s death, but say Adelson’s mother and brother – Donna and Charlie Adelson – paid $100,000 to have Markel killed following the couple’s contentious divorce so their two young sons could move to South Florida.

Mentour Lawyer (James ) has recently put a Dec case management hearing up on the TUBE.
Live Hearing Coverage - Florida vs. Katherine Magbanua (Dan Markel Case) 12/9/21 Case Management

Same same... defense just delaying but unfortunately one witness they wish to take a deposition from has gone overseas.

Name of witness is Ramsi Naber (1) (from the Fate Nightclub).
The Additional witness that defense wants to depose are
McKleveen (2) from the FBI (on the audio enhancement of the Dolce Vita restaurant recording ) and ..... finally

Ole Luiz Rivera. who is still in the facility in AZ as he did not want to come back to FL to do the Markel component of his sentence as he was concerned , he says, re retribution from the Latin Kings in a FL jail.
de Coste says he wants to check that LR really wrote the letters requesting he remain in the Fed facility in AZ.

The fact is that Luis's physical position was known to them and the court. They had money to travel to AZ last time - why could they have not organised another trip ? Donna Adelson has Deep pockets.

Subtext - Mentour L has made visible a Fat deposition that deCoste and Kawass took from LR before the first trial (it concerns the money hand over for the killing mainly and KM's involvement in that ). Cappleman is now aware of this deposition and the contents . I suspect that Kawass wants to get her ducks in a line about what LR says about the content of this earlier deposition - the meeting may be just a ruse to facilitate this.

Judge Wheeler has made is clear he is NOT happy about the trial date slipping again (and will not allow it to happen).

I'm not clear if there is going to be a case management hearing in Jan or not.

Kidon G.

KidonGadol said:
snipped by me....
I'm not clear if there is going to be a case management hearing in Jan or not.

Maybe @oviedo - can help on that. Any court dates in January or even in December?

TIA!
animated-smileys-christmas-033.gif

Any more updates on this case? I'm just getting very old articles over here...

TIA!

Any more updates on this case? I'm just getting very old articles over here...

TIA!
The only place I currently find information is from Mentour Lawyer aka Crime and Justice on Youtube. He seems to keep an eye on court filings and does an update from time to time.

The next update is in my modest expectation, deCoste with a sob story that they have not been able to interview Luiz Rivera in the AZ Fed facility (though they have know he is there all along) and then Ms Kawass and deCoste will ask for another trial adjournment in Feb next . .... that's their style.
KG

The only place I currently find information is from Mentour Lawyer aka Crime and Justice on Youtube. He seems to keep an eye on court filings and does an update from time to time.

The next update is in my modest expectation, deCoste with a sob story that they have not been able to interview Luiz Rivera in the AZ Fed facility (though they have know he is there all along) and then Ms Kawass and deCoste will ask for another trial adjournment in Feb next . .... that's their style.
KG

If you see a next court date - please post! TIA!

bocal.gif
up for @oviedo ! Any new court dates set yet?

TIA! :)
Last date I saw was Trial (or heard in a case management conference that went to Ytube) due to start approx Feb 14th this year . I think that has an allowance of a few days prior for jury selection built into it. Whether there is a case management talkfest before that date I could not say. Tara Kawass and her pencil sharpener guy keep coming up with novel excuses for delays - everytime a coconut. The Judge will have smoke coming out of his ears if they try it on again.

KG

I bet KM's "lawyers" will be pushing for another delay delay delay. Every delay benefits the masterminds.

Jan. 4, 2022
Markels push for grandparents’ visitation in wake of son’s murder (wctv.tv)
''TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) - The family of slain FSU professor Dan Markel continues to push for new legislation that would give grandparents visitation rights in certain deadly circumstances.

Bills filed in the Florida House and Senate this week would give grandparents the right to petition the court for visitation in cases where a surviving parent is convicted in criminal court or found liable in a civil wrongful death case.

HB1119 and SB1408 were filed on Monday by Gainesville Representative Jackie Toledo and Tampa Senator Keith Perry.

“We are grateful to Representative Jackie Toledo and Senator Keith Perry for advancing these bills, which if passed, would expand access to courts for grandparents like us, who lost a child and then became alienated from their grandchildren,” Phil and Ruth Markel said in a statement Tuesday. “While we wouldn’t wish this experience on any others, we know we are far from alone in the desire to reunite with grandchildren in the aftermath of tragedy.”

Jan. 4, 2022
Markels push for grandparents’ visitation in wake of son’s murder (wctv.tv)
''TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) - The family of slain FSU professor Dan Markel continues to push for new legislation that would give grandparents visitation rights in certain deadly circumstances.

Bills filed in the Florida House and Senate this week would give grandparents the right to petition the court for visitation in cases where a surviving parent is convicted in criminal court or found liable in a civil wrongful death case. Continues....

I am glad the civil wrongful death case was included because I think that's what Wendi will be eventually be convicted of. There is probably enough evidence to try her as an accessory to murder (in particular supplying the details via CJA to Rivera and Garcia of D. Markel flying north on the Saturday) but it might not stick in a criminal court. However there is plenty to convict her of in a civil court given her history of perjury, her less than convincing interview with the police and what Mr LaCasse had to say. The critical point will be if the Adelsons can buy out or corrupt Prof. Amy Adler, if they can't then I think that WJ Adelson is toast in a civil court. Hopefully the Markels will win a big settlement which will cover the cost of the civil prosecution.

There may be revelations in the upcoming Magbanua case which will impact WJA; in particular the possible attempts by the Adelsons to buy off witnesses.

KG

Can a judge prevent them from testifying/lying under oath?? Does the Adelson family have a reason to want Katie to be found not guilty?

I really fear that the oldest of the Adelsons are going to pass away before justice is ever served to them.

IMO - The legal defense strategy of the alleged masterminds is a 2 part chess match. Part 1 is to make sure KM is acquitted at all costs - including the public sullying of the alleged masterminds' names if it helps KM get off. The important thing to remember here is that this sullying helps KM in winning an acquittal and in no way does it put the alleged masterminds in any legal jeopardy. The alleged masterminds have no problem with KM saying she "thinks" they were involved if it helps get her off. So while it might sound contradictory if they are truly in cahoots in a conspiracy and in a unified legal defense, it is not from a legal defense standpoint. Get KM acquitted at all costs and the case against the alleged masterminds is struck a huge blow. The lawyers are all in cahoots together to primarily protect the alleged masterminds and this strategy was conceived and agreed upon in Penthouse One.

rbbm.
Dan Markel murder trial: Defense may call Adelson family as witnesses (tallahassee.com)
''Harvey, Donna and Charlie Adelson have all denied any involvement in the murder and have not been charged by prosecutors. They are among 10 defense witnesses listed in the Nov. 30 filing in Leon County Circuit Court.

The list also includes WCTV news anchor and reporter Julie Montanaro and Markel’s ex-wife Wendi Adelson, who testified in 2019 when Magabanua was tried alongside her long-time boyfriend Sigfredo Garcia.''

''One of Magbanua’s attorneys, Chris DeCoste, said the intent is to get as much evidence and information before the jury, including those the State Attorney's Office has alleged are behind the plot.

“If the government is not going to bring everybody together to finally get to the bottom of it, we’re going to do it so this is the last trial,” DeCoste said. “It is like having a birthday party but not inviting the person whose birthday it is.”

Last edited:
IMO - Convict KM in February and then arrest the alleged masterminds. If I was CA l'd have a place all ready in Israel or Morocco just like Scott Rothstein did. He's literally had years to set up his escape. As soon as KM is found guilty I'd be on a private jet. If Rothstein just stayed in Morocco he might still be free. I wonder if he regrets it now while sitting in prison for life.

As far as the attorneys go, I have no problem with a vigorous legal defense but I don't like cheating and making a mockery of the justice system to benefit wealthy clients at the expense of the poor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member