GUILTY Fl - Dan Markel, 41, Fsu Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #5 *arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The trial date could possibly be affected by this one.
http://www.wtxl.com/news/retrial-da...cle_2d72ed0c-8773-11e7-b435-574aeb89a4f2.html
[h=1]Retrial date set in Henry Segura case[/h]
  • Aug 22, 2017
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) - A retrial is now set after a jury couldn't reach a verdict last week in the trial of Henry Segura, who's accused of killing his ex-girlfriend and her three children.
There's six months to go before a new jury is picked to hear this high-profile case. Both sides have agreed to start trial on February 12th.

The judge said he wanted to avoid a possible scheduling conflict with two other big upcoming trials: two suspects in the murder of FSU professor Dan Markel.

It's still unclear whether both sides will adjust their cases or if the size of the jury will be the same
rbbm.

I am so disappointed KM didn't take the deal they offered her.
She could be with her children tomorrow, a free person, immunity.
There must be a lot of money on the table for her.
Frustrated.

What was the "legitimate" or "acceptable" reason given by KM's legal team as to why they wouldn't simply disclose (to everyone...not just to a judge in chambers) who is funding KM's defense? If it's all so above-board, then why not simply make it public? The BS is so infuriating.

--prayers for the Markel family, including Dan's little boys--

What was the "legitimate" or "acceptable" reason given by KM's legal team as to why they wouldn't simply disclose (to everyone...not just to a judge in chambers) who is funding KM's defense? If it's all so above-board, then why not simply make it public? The BS is so infuriating.

--prayers for the Markel family, including Dan's little boys--

...who will always be Dan's little boys no matter how much their shrew of a mother tries to erase him from their lives.

I am so disappointed KM didn't take the deal they offered her.
She could be with her children tomorrow, a free person, immunity.
There must be a lot of money on the table for her.
Frustrated.

TacoChip---I think you are correct. The subject of KM's motivation is interesting.

If she was motivated by avoiding prosecution and returning to her family, that goal could already have been achieved months ago. If her attorneys were working solely for her, then winning full immunity instead of a potential life sentence would be a healthy victory. But we already know that a mysterious third party is funding her defense and that this third party is supposedly unrelated to the masterminds of the murder plot.
What must be the motivation of the third party? To have KM languish in jail, go to trial, and risk a life sentence on their dime? What kind of great friend has millions (?) to provide for KM's defense but not the good sense to encourage her to take the immunity deal?

If she was motivated by remorse/regret, full immunity would seem to be a generous arrangement.

It has been suggested that KM is motivated by fear. This is the least likely scenario. The alleged masterminds don't know a handful of assassins, otherwise they wouldn't have had to resort to using the baby-daddy of CA's girlfriend. And this bunch will be under incredible scrutiny if another whirlwind of coincidences results in KMs untimely demise.

KM's motivation is money. Pure and simple. The PCA demonstrates her need for cars, better cars, more money, and all of these requests were entertained in an effort to keep CA's ex girlfriend happy. KM is encouraged to leave the country and travel to somewhere she would be rich.

My guess is that the masterminds know that the key to this case is keeping KM happy and quiet. The key to keeping her quiet is the promise of a large amount of money. A fully funded defense and a huge payoff after the trial. How much must she have been promised to go to trial with the risk of a life sentence?
Her motivation for a huge payday is greater than her desire for immediate freedom. Though I have a lot of concerns about the prosecution, hopefully they can make her regret her decision to roll the dice at trial.

The wild card is SG's motivation. If KM turned down the golden ticket, does SG get a similar offer instead? I think SG is a less complex individual with more straightforward motivations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wild card is SG's motivation. If KM turned down the golden ticket, does SG get a similar offer instead? I think SG is a less complex individual with more straightforward motivations.

Unfortunately, I don't think he has the requisite information. KM was the intermediary. The one who spoke to both the killers and those who hired them. She delivered the money. They need her testimony for a case to go forward against the family.

TacoChip---I think you are correct. The subject of KM's motivation is interesting.

If she was motivated by avoiding prosecution and returning to her family, that goal could already have been achieved months ago. If her attorneys were working solely for her, then winning full immunity instead of a potential life sentence would be a healthy victory. But we already know that a mysterious third party is funding her defense and that this third party is supposedly unrelated to the masterminds of the murder plot.
What must be the motivation of the third party? To have KM languish in jail, go to trial, and risk a life sentence on their dime? What kind of great friend has millions (?) to provide for KM's defense but not the good sense to encourage her to take the immunity deal?

If she was motivated by remorse/regret, full immunity would seem to be a generous arrangement.

It has been suggested that KM is motivated by fear. This is the least likely scenario. The alleged masterminds don't know a handful of assassins, otherwise they wouldn't have had to resort to using the baby-daddy of CA's girlfriend. And this bunch will be under incredible scrutiny if another whirlwind of coincidences results in KMs untimely demise.

KM's motivation is money. Pure and simple. The PCA demonstrates her need for cars, better cars, more money, and all of these requests were entertained in an effort to keep CA's ex girlfriend happy. KM is encouraged to leave the country and travel to somewhere she would be rich.

My guess is that the masterminds know that the key to this case is keeping KM happy and quiet. The key to keeping her quiet is the promise of a large amount of money. A fully funded defense and a huge payoff after the trial. How much must she have been promised to go to trial with the risk of a life sentence?
Her motivation for a huge payday is greater than her desire for immediate freedom. Though I have a lot of concerns about the prosecution, hopefully they can make her regret her decision to roll the dice at trial.

I certainly hope SG is NOT offered a golden ticket. He's the one who fired the fatal shot. He doesn't deserve to walk free or anything less than life in prison.

I think you are right about KM, though. Her primary motivation is money, even over her kids. MOO

Unfortunately, I don't think he has the requisite information. KM was the intermediary. The one who spoke to both the killers and those who hired them. She delivered the money. They need her testimony for a case to go forward against the family.

I agree the KM would be the best source on information regarding the entire plot, but not the only source. According to LR, SG knew the name of WA and that the motivation was because "the lady wants her kids back." SG was with KM when they delivered the package of money to LR. And at one point, SG's phone contacted the phone of HA. CA buys birthday gifts for SG (and KM suggests that maybe he should receive a Ferrari instead). These small tidbits are available to the public. I would like to think that the state has even more evidence. While I don't think that SG should ever see the light of day, if the prosecution wants a successful case against the alleged masterminds of this murder for hire, maybe SG is the first domino to fall and not KM. Cooperation from SG might force KM's hand.

Early on, I suggested that we do not hear much about successful criminal defense attorneys such as David Oscar Markus because they are parsimonious about advertising the laudations of their hardened criminal clients. You cannot brag too much about your skills when you know that “you are skilled at helping criminals getting away from punishments.” Some WS members got peeved that such skills could be admired.

Yes, something as simple as “where is this flow of lump sums toward Magbanua’s lawyers from?” could not be resolved. This factual mystification forces my admiration of the cleverness of Magbanua and her lawyers.

We want justice to be delivered. We do NOT want the statements of fact to disparage law enforcement by unveiling their limitation. Yet, we are forced to admit (a) either Magbanua and her lawyers are really clever or (b) Law enforcements (multiple juridictions including the almighty FBI) are doing poor job or (c) a combination of (a) & (b). Either way, Magbanua is a winner thus far.

Early on, I suggested that we do not hear much about successful criminal defense attorneys such as David Oscar Markus because they are parsimonious about advertising the laudations of their hardened criminal clients. You cannot brag too much about your skills when you know that “you are skilled at helping criminals getting away from punishments.” Some WS members got peeved that such skills could be admired.

Yes, something as simple as “where is this flow of lump sums toward Magbanua’s lawyers from?” could not be resolved. This factual mystification forces my admiration of the cleverness of Magbanua and her lawyers.

We want justice to be delivered. We do NOT want the statements of fact to disparage law enforcement by unveiling their limitation. Yet, we are forced to admit (a) either Magbanua and her lawyers are really clever or (b) Law enforcements (multiple juridictions including the almighty FBI) are doing poor job or (c) a combination of (a) & (b). Either way, Magbanua is a winner thus far.
Well, she's still eating and sleeping in jail.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

perhaps maybe we don't want to find anything to admire about a calculating person who deserves to take responsibility for her actions.

Unrelated to DM's case, but may be of some interest. fwiw

A Toronto lawyer was shot outside his office but survived the shooting, the gunman is known and was named by LE, but the lawyer is now offering big bucks to find out who " placed the order " with the gunman.
http://www.torontosun.com/2017/09/2...50000-reward-to-help-find-gunman-who-shot-him
Sep 21, 2017 A Toronto lawyer shot outside his Yorkville office a year ago is offering a $50,000 reward to help police nab the man who ordered the gunman to open fire on him.

Randall Barrs said he is putting up the reward money for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the man who compelled the alleged gunman to stalk and shoot him outside his office.

“I’m doing this for all participants in the adversarial criminal justice system we have — criminal defence lawyers, Crowns, judges and police officers,” said Barrs, who was shot twice in the leg by a suspect.

“There’s someone out there who probably thinks he’s gotten away with this a year later. I’m hoping this reward money kick-starts this investigation,” said Barrs.

It seems the State of Florida did not get a 2017 trials as wished in the cause of Sigfredo Garcia & Katherine Magbanua. http://www.wctv.tv/video?vid=426600141 The court records list the trials for 2018 https://cvweb.clerk.leon.fl.us/public/clerk_services/online_searches/search_courts/
However, a small victory goes to the State of Florida if the judge acquiesces for joint trials of the two defendants. Their schedules are identical:
9/18/2017 ANSWER TO DEMAND FOR DISCOVERY Answer to Demand for Discovery (Amended)
PRE-TRIAL CASE MANAGEMENT 1/3/2018 10:30 AM
PRE-TRIAL CASE MANAGEMENT 1/18/2018 1:30 PM
JURY NON JURY TRIAL 1/22/2018 8:30 AM judge HANKINSON

If I were the lawyer for Katherine Magbanua, I would rather not like her to be tried with Sigfredo Garcia. Sigfredo Garcia is pointed as the triggerman by the driver of the car the day of the hit. It is alleged that he has made multiple jailhouse admissions corroborated by some State evidences.

Katherine Magbanua is NOT alleged of being at the place and time of the killing. She is accused of being the conduit. Thus, she is just a communication intermediary. If tried separately, she could benefit from some leniency.

It seems the State of Florida did not get a 2017 trials as wished in the cause of Sigfredo Garcia & Katherine Magbanua. http://www.wctv.tv/video?vid=426600141 The court records list the trials for 2018 https://cvweb.clerk.leon.fl.us/public/clerk_services/online_searches/search_courts/
However, a small victory goes to the State of Florida if the judge acquiesces for joint trials of the two defendants. Their schedules are identical:
9/18/2017 ANSWER TO DEMAND FOR DISCOVERY Answer to Demand for Discovery (Amended)
PRE-TRIAL CASE MANAGEMENT 1/3/2018 10:30 AM
PRE-TRIAL CASE MANAGEMENT 1/18/2018 1:30 PM
JURY NON JURY TRIAL 1/22/2018 8:30 AM judge HANKINSON

If I were the lawyer for Katherine Magbanua, I would rather not like her to be tried with Sigfredo Garcia. Sigfredo Garcia is pointed as the triggerman by the driver of the car the day of the hit. It is alleged that he has made multiple jailhouse admissions corroborated by some State evidences.

Katherine Magbanua is NOT alleged of being at the place and time of the killing. She is accused of being the conduit. Thus, she is just a communication intermediary. If tried separately, she could benefit from some leniency.
But if they are tried together, wouldn't KM's attorneys have control of SG and therefore be able to give him some "good advice"?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I check on this case weekly. I hope there is Justice for Dan's murder.

attachment.php

Attachments

• FSU+MUDER+FOR+HIRE.jpg
    FSU+MUDER+FOR+HIRE.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 423
KM has been rotting in jail for a year and a month. she was arrested on October 1, 2016.

KM has been rotting in jail for a year and a month. she was arrested on October 1, 2016.

KM is in for the long haul. She could have left jail with immunity and cooperated with the prosecution. Instead, the (million dollar?) defense will be funded by a third party who wants her instead to stand trial for first degree murder. KM is greedy and she sees a payoff in her future. Even if she is found guilty, she'll never spend a penny of the payoff.

Interesting speculation----
Suppose that KM and maybe even SG are being financially incentivized to take the risk of a trial with a fully funded defense at no cost to them. If they win, perhaps they are expecting dramatic payoffs. If they lose, perhaps their family will reap financial benefits.

I wonder how the eventual civil trial will change the calculus. Should they avoid conviction in the criminal trial, then the civil trial legal fees and verdict will drain them. Even if they each received millions of dollars, the lengths they will have to go to hide their wealth, avoid taxes, launder the payoff and escape DM's attorneys will prevent them from ever enjoying those ill gotten gains.

In some ways, KM is pitiable. She participated in a heinous crime solely because of greed. Greed may prevent her from cooperating with the prosecution. Instead, the pursuit of money may cost her her freedom. I hope she comes to her senses and realizes that she will likely end up losing everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members