GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #6 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A new article on the case with some interesting (and disturbing) excerpts from Donna's communications with Wendi

A Professor's Murder in Tallahassee Was a Contract Hit, Prosecutors Say

This was particularly chilling:

On July 11, 2014, Donna emailed Wendi to confirm a Best Buy appointment to fix a broken TV set. It was scheduled for between 8 a.m. and noon July 18, 2014.

A new article on the case with some interesting (and disturbing) excerpts from Donna's communications with Wendi

On July 11, 2014, Donna emailed Wendi to confirm a Best Buy appointment to fix a broken TV set. It was scheduled for between 8 a.m. and noon July 18, 2014.

It's odd that this is the first time those emails from DA to WA came out. If DA is ever tried for DM's murder, those emails will obviously go a long way toward showing her motive. It will be very interesting to see how the evidence of the As' animosity to DM will play out in the trial of KM and SG. Quite understandably, the state has indicated it will put on such evidence (including through WA's testimony), to show KM's and SG's motive, i.e., that they were paid to kill DM by the As, who were angry at DM because he was preventing WA from moving to South Florida with the kids.

But I wonder if there's a danger that focusing on the involvement of DA and CA in the plot could (unintentionally) benefit KM and SG. Some jurors could think: "Hey, why are only KM and SG being put on trial? Given that the state clearly thinks that DA and CA were part of a conspiracy to kill DM, shouldn't DA and CA be sitting at the defendants' table too? <modsnip - racial comment> Logically, it shouldn't make any difference to KM's and SG's guilt or innocence whether DA and CA are being tried alongside them, but I can imagine that it would have an effect on some jurors. I wonder if the state will seek to have the court issue some sort of instruction to the jurors not to speculate why DA and CA (and WA and HA) have not been charged, and not to have that fact affect their decision as to KM's and SG's guilt or innocence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some jurors could think: "Hey, why are only KM and SG being put on trial? Given that the state clearly thinks that DA and CA were part of a conspiracy to kill DM, shouldn't DA and CA be sitting at the defendants' table too? It seems awfully unfair that the poor brown-skinned conspirators are the only ones on trial, while the rich white ones are living it up in Miami Beach." Logically, it shouldn't make any difference to KM's and SG's guilt or innocence whether DA and CA are being tried alongside them, but I can imagine that it would have an effect on some jurors. I wonder if the state will seek to have the court issue some sort of instruction to the jurors not to speculate why DA and CA (and WA and HA) have not been charged, and not to have that fact affect their decision as to KM's and SG's guilt or innocence.

RSBM.

Conversely they could (hopefully will!) understand that getting a conviction for KM and SG is a SOLID step in finally bringing the Adelsons to justice.

Very interesting, but deeply disturbing emails sent from DA to WA. Wendi was a grown woman, with two children, not to mention a law degree. Why did DA want her so desperately to move back to south Florida? DA sounds much more unhinged than I had ever imagined.

I think Dr. Phil needs to be called...

IMHO

Yes, and this:

"In the 15 months preceding what investigators say was a "murder for hire," Dan Markel's ex-mother-in-law, Donna Adelson, had sent her only daughter a flurry of emails. They were pointed and vitriolic, filled with hatred for her son-in-law.

She called the man with two Harvard degrees an "idiot," a "," and a "*advertiser censored*."

June 5 2019
Elizabeth Banks to Develop Series Based on Podcast ‘Over My Dead Body’ for WarnerMedia Streaming Service (EXCLUSIVE)
June 5, 2019 1:30PM PDT
elizabeth-banks.jpg

"A series adaptation of the Wondery podcast “Over My Dead Body” is in development at the WarnerMedia streaming service from Elizabeth Banks, Variety has learned exclusively from sources.

Banks is attached to executive produce and direct the series, which follows Dan and Wendi, two attorneys whose wedding is featured in the New York Times. But when this “perfect” couple falls apart, it leads to a bad breakup, a worse divorce, and a murder case involving a menagerie of high-priced lawyers and unexpected co-conspirators.

Banks will executive produce under her Brownstone Productions banner, with Brownstone’s Max Handelman also executive producing and Dannah Shinder co-executive producing. Wondery’s founder and CEO Hernan Lopez and chief content officer Marshall Lewy will also executive produce. Warner Bros. Television will produce.

WarnerMedia declined to comment.

“’Over My Dead Body’ is a story of family conflict worthy of Shakespeare by way of ‘Fargo,'” Lopez said. “We’re beyond excited to partner with WarnerMedia and Elizabeth Banks on the TV adaptation.”

Suggesting "Ricky and Julian " for the roles of hit men. imo.
3b608594aff13c0ed863c0ad4e21f16a7653b366.png_1200x630.png

trailerparkboysofficial

https://www.narcity.com/us/fl/miami...as-for-way-cheaper-than-fyre-festival-tickets

Last edited:
Yes, and this:

"In the 15 months preceding what investigators say was a "murder for hire," Dan Markel's ex-mother-in-law, Donna Adelson, had sent her only daughter a flurry of emails. They were pointed and vitriolic, filled with hatred for her son-in-law.

She called the man with two Harvard degrees an "idiot," a "," and a "*advertiser censored*."

I hope these emails come back to haunt her. Tells me LE has a lot more evidence than we think. They are building a solid case.

IMHO

Karl Etters on Twitter

"Leon Circuit Judge James C. Hankinson reverses course, taking into account a DCA opinion last week, reconsidering a motion that kept Dan Markel's ex wife Wendi Adelson from being deposed by the defense.... So Adelson will be subject to a defense subpoena prior to trial where she'll have to answer questions from Katherine Magbanua's attorneys"​

This isn't terribly surprising, as all three separate appellate opinions (the majority, concurrence, and dissent) said that WA should have to invoke her 5th Amendment right on a question-by-question basis -- not as a blanket matter.

Judge reconsiders, will allow defense to question Dan Markel's ex-wife
"The ruling clears the way for Wendi Adelson to be questioned for the first time since the day her ex-husband was murdered in July 2014.

Murder suspects Sigfredo Garcia and Katherine Magbanua are still awaiting trial in Markel's murder. In arrest papers, Tallahassee Police investigators alleged the two were part of a murder plot motivated by a custody battle over Markel and Adelson's two children.

Defense attorneys wanted to depose Adelson, but Circuit Judge James Hankinson had granted a protective order to stop it.

Defense attorneys then filed an appeal, asking the First District Court of Appeals to weigh in.

The DCA sided with the State in a May 31 ruling, but prosecutor Georgia Cappleman said, "The ruling made it clear we were on dangerous ground going forward without taking her deposition and could risk having any conviction overturned on appeal."

"That's the last thing we want," Cappleman said.

Which disparaging comments are they referring to?
Judge reverses, Wendi Adelson will face defense questioning in Markel murder case
"Defense attorneys subpoenaed Adelson, who invoked her Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination. But her attorney, John Lauro, said she wanted to avoid disparaging remarks made by another Markel murder suspect."

I suspect it's this about WA potentially "lying to save her family."

In an interview, DeCoste said not being able to question a key state’s witness before trial could prove troubling for his defense strategy.

“That’s an attempt to use the Fifth Amendment as a shield and sword,” he said. “She needs to sit before us and answer the questions we have. For all we know Wendi Adelson is going to start lying to save her family.”​

So if CA did all this without WA knowing it, are they hoping she found out later and will spill the beans or commits perjury. What must the Markels think when they saw DA's emails?

Seems to me the puzzle is starting to take shape. Things are coming together. So glad to hear WA must face defense questioning. Someone had to finance these accused murderers. And who would have had a reason to do that?

IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member