GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #7 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I learned this, I was on the fence as to whether or not WA had prior knowledge of the crime, but no more. You share custody of your kids with your ex; you drive by your ex's house and see the place surrounded by crime scene tape and police cars - and you don't jump out of your car to find out if your kids are all right?

Yep, makes ZERO sense. There's only one logical conclusion.....and it's beyond a reasonable doubt.

I interpreted that as there is enough in the largely unintelligible recording so that it can be deemed a tacit admission by Kawass's client -- KM (not Garcia). They seem to be referring to an April 2016 recording of CA and KM at the restaurant Dolce Vida, which may have occurred after one of the undercover "tickles". JMO.
Magbanua denied separate trial in Markel slaying
Wiretap snippets. rbbm.
ETA.
The Dan Markel Case: The Probable Cause Affidavit For Charlie Adelson
"On April 20, shortly after the undercover agent reached out to Donna Adelson, Charlie Adelson and Katherine Magbanua met at a restaurant. They had a conversation that was intercepted in part by police, as discussed on page 18 (“CA” is “Charlie Adelson”):

PC-affidavit-7-620x271.png

Over the next few days, the alleged co-conspirators had discussions and arguments about how to deal with the supposed blackmailer. For example, from page 20:

PC-affidavit-8.png

Judge denies Magbanua's request for separate trial in Markel murder

"Defense attorneys also asked a judge to bar a video recording of Magbanua and Adelson at a Miami restaurant saying the bulk of her audio is inaudible.

The state contends there are portions of the recording are audible and relevant.

The judge says he wants to hear the recording before determining which portions are admissible."

Defense attorneys are renewing efforts to keep Dan Markel's ex-wife Wendi Adelson off the witness stand. They argue that Adelson intends to answer questions from the state, but plead the fifth and refuse to answer defense questions during cross-examination.

They are also trying to keep any documents filed by Dan Markel during the couple's divorce and custody proceedings out of court, calling them "hearsay" and "inadmissible."

Magbanua's attorneys are also trying to stop prosecutors from mentioning a series of recordings and wire taps in front of the jury.

One of them was a video recording of Magbanua and Charlie Adelson at a Miami restaurant called the Dolce Vita. Charlie Adelson - Wendi's brother - used to date Magbanua. The FBI along with TPD recorded a conversation between the two in April 2016. Magbanua's attorneys claim the majority of the recording is "unintelligible" and claim the inaudible portions "are so substantial to deprive the remainder of relevance."

"They also want to keep the jury from hearing a series of wire taps on Magbanua's and Charlie Adelson's cell phones. Magbanua's attorneys contend those wire taps in May 2016 took place years after the alleged conspiracy and are not admissible in court."

Before I learned this, I was on the fence as to whether or not WA had prior knowledge of the crime, but no more. You share custody of your kids with your ex; you drive by your ex's house and see the place surrounded by crime scene tape and police cars - and you don't jump out of your car to find out if your kids are all right?
Right... You see a crime scene and keep going. Also it was like 20 minutes after she called his phone and there was no answer (because he was dying).

In the police interview clips released WA says she did drive that way and saw tape and thought it was a downed tree, the testimony of the officer guarding the perimeter was that from the turn around spot at the perimeter one could see multiple police and other LE vehicles in DMs driveway.

Wiretap snippets. rbbm.
Judge denies Magbanua's request for separate trial in Markel murder

"Defense attorneys also asked a judge to bar a video recording of Magbanua and Adelson at a Miami restaurant saying the bulk of her audio is inaudible.

The state contends there are portions of the recording are audible and relevant.

The judge says he wants to hear the recording before determining which portions are admissible."

Defense attorneys are renewing efforts to keep Dan Markel's ex-wife Wendi Adelson off the witness stand. They argue that Adelson intends to answer questions from the state, but plead the fifth and refuse to answer defense questions during cross-examination.

They are also trying to keep any documents filed by Dan Markel during the couple's divorce and custody proceedings out of court, calling them "hearsay" and "inadmissible."

Magbanua's attorneys are also trying to stop prosecutors from mentioning a series of recordings and wire taps in front of the jury.

One of them was a video recording of Magbanua and Charlie Adelson at a Miami restaurant called the Dolce Vita. Charlie Adelson - Wendi's brother - used to date Magbanua. The FBI along with TPD recorded a conversation between the two in April 2016. Magbanua's attorneys claim the majority of the recording is "unintelligible" and claim the inaudible portions "are so substantial to deprive the remainder of relevance."

"They also want to keep the jury from hearing a series of wire taps on Magbanua's and Charlie Adelson's cell phones. Magbanua's attorneys contend those wire taps in May 2016 took place years after the alleged conspiracy and are not admissible in court."

Have they already had a Richardson hearing on all of this? Or can we expect that to happen during the trial?

I understood that prior to trial, the FBI was going to try to enhance them for the trial. Don't know if that was talked about either yet within this trial.

The call from WA to DM @ 11:42 am on July 18, 2014. That is the strangest phone call of all of them. Looks like she was checking to see if the deed was truly completed and a drive by shortly thereafter to double check. So she could authorize the cash release. IMO She must have been shocked when she saw the crime scene tape all set up. She knew right then and there the deed was done.
She was probably quite shocked as well that the police were already there!

She was probably quite shocked as well that the police were already there!

Agree!!!!!

Moo

Although She was the only one, (in addition to the co-conspirators) as we all heard the 911 call oh, we would have thought they would have been there within 5 minutes. It took them so long!

Moo

Again, medal for the neighbor who called so quickly and knew the make of the car, and the karma that he was on the phone at the time that it happened and the person that he was on the phone with called nine-one-one also!

Have they already had a Richardson hearing on all of this? Or can we expect that to happen during the trial?

I understood that prior to trial, the FBI was going to try to enhance them for the trial. Don't know if that was talked about either yet within this trial.

At one point on Friday, I heard the judge say, "We'll have a Richardson hearing about that." I can't remember what that was about though.

Also, he said he had not made any decisions about any of the wiretaps yet because he had not been given them to review. So I'm not sure if that comment (about the Richardson hearing) was about that or something else.

Yes, was just thinking that LR really is key. I thought he might fall apart on cross, but he was a very good witness. I agree that a lot of what he said seemed credible (and was corroborated by records). Also, JL was important. His testimony about WA's statement about CA and a hitman and his overall description of WA was very important for the prosecution I think. JMO.
They were both great witnesses. I have a lot of respect for them for that. It’s a very stressful situation. I was in the stand once for a felony charge for the defendant facing a life sentence. I was a State witness and it was so stressful I don’t think I could ever look at the transcript or listen to the court proceedings. Never lied of course and they tried to discredit me and couldn’t but I was so stressed and sleep deprived that I was a just a complete mess... Still bothers me so much honestly...

i think the "tacit admission" is this -

At lunch in a Sunny Isle strip mall on April 20, Charlie and Magbanua discuss the man who made the delivery to Donna Adelson and what he knows about the crime. In the conversation intercepted by investigators, Charlie tells her "paying someone off is not an admission of guilt." He said he'd give her money if she called the messenger, tells him she'll donate to a charity and instructs him to never contact them again. He then suggests, if it's not a police officer, "you better kill him, because he's going to be a big problem." He adds, "If you can't do it, I'll have someone else do it." Magbanua asks Garcia to track down who the man might be. They begin to argue after Garcia said he wouldn't make the call. Three days later, Magbanua packs up some of her belongings in her car and leaves in the middle of the day with a gun in a tote.

Third suspect arrested in FSU professor slaying
IMO. Maybe the statement "I'll have someone else do it" is one of the reasons she is sitting there with her mouth shut and accepting no deals to go along with the stupidity of her Attorneys.

Yes, Charlie's affidavit was very enlightening and is always a good review!

Charlie's arrest affidavit

The Dan Markel Case: The Probable Cause Affidavit For Charlie Adelson

Oh wow thanks. It sounds like CA has been bending over backwards to appease KM since the murder...so I agree with all of you he’s financing their defense somehow. It can’t just be some coincidence. But I still don’t understand why she hasn’t rolled on him yet? Seems like they have her dead to rights.

Right... You see a crime scene and keep going. Also it was like 20 minutes after she called his phone and there was no answer (because he was dying).

In the police interview clips released WA says she did drive that way and saw tape and thought it was a downed tree, the testimony of the officer guarding the perimeter was that from the turn around spot at the perimeter one could see multiple police and other LE vehicles in DMs driveway.
Crime scene tape for a downed tree? Lol. I think some of the questions she was not anticipating and winged the answers on the spot, which of course if you’re lying is not easy to come up with a credible answer always.

They were both great witnesses. I have a lot of respect for them for that. It’s a very stressful situation. I was in the stand once for a felony charge for the defendant facing a life sentence. I was a State witness and it was so stressful I don’t think I could ever look at the transcript or listen to the court proceedings. Never lied of course and they tried to discredit me and couldn’t but I was so stressed and sleep deprived that I was a just a complete mess... Still bothers me so much honestly...

I was a wreck when I was a juror. Just not being able to move around however I wanted stressed me out. My stomach was in knots and I was sleep deprived for the entire trial. It was extremely nerve-wrecking for me and I felt like other jurors could tell and I was ashamed about it. I was going to the bathroom a lot and couldn’t sit still during breaks. Every time we had to go back in I felt panicked. :(

I can’t even imagine how I would be if I had to testify!! Omg!

It makes me of the Scott Peterson case. I remember one of the jurors say that they had to connect the pieces of the puzzle. As they connected the dots, it all came together that Scott killed Laci (paraphrased). Hopefully, this jury will do the same becaue I think it's pretty telling what happened once you connect those dots.
And there was less circumstancial evidence in the Peterson case at least IMO.

She may have said that because she will run away somewhere else if everyone ends up in jail but her. To start over where nobody knows her name. She will never, ever be able to land the prestigious job she covets, though, anywhere. Once any prospective employer catches wind of her misdeeds (via an Internet background check), all they have to do is Google, "Did Wendi Adelson hire a hitman to kill her ex-husband?" and they will pass on her and move on to the next, non-lethal, candidate for the job.
If she escapes unscathed ironically she will have to change her name and her children’s name IMO.

It's too bad the audio recordings of the sting operation didn't turn out better. Not just the ones where CA/KM met at the restaurant but also when CA/DA/HA were huddling at a patio table outside their condo complex in South Beach.

I am starting to think KM might be acquitted. But I'll have to see how the closing arguments go and if GC can pull all the strands of evidence together on her. SG conviction is a foregone conclusion IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper