GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #7 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was curious if anyone here on WS's has read WA's book. Is it an actual book or is it on Kindle? Just curious.
It's an actual book, which WA published herself. It's available on Amazon (and BTW, the picture on the front cover is of WA herself. This is the first time I've ever seen a novel which has the author's picture on the front. I haven't read it, but I read reviews on Paul Caron's TazProf Blog, where he describes the book as "criminally lousy" - which is in contrast to all those glowing, gushing 5 star reviews on Amazon. Thos
I was curious if anyone here on WS's has read WA's book. Is it an actual book or is it on Kindle? Just curious.
It's an actual book, self-published by WA and available at Amazon (BTW, that's WA's close-up picture on the front cover - really unusual for a novel). I haven't read it, but on his TaxProf blog, Paul Caron described it as "criminally lousy".

Oh wow thanks. It sounds like CA has been bending over backwards to appease KM since the murder...so I agree with all of you he’s financing their defense somehow. It can’t just be some coincidence. But I still don’t understand why she hasn’t rolled on him yet? Seems like they have her dead to rights.
That's all they needed was LR to point the finger at KM, along with all of the other evidence they have at hand to put her in the can and seal her doom...Now if KM/SG either together or separately show some remorse and point the finger at the initiator(s) of this murder justice can truly be served. It's like the old adage says..."The truth will set you free." Although it may be many many years for SG.
This is why LR was so calm and not rattled on the stand...It's easy when you tell the truth. IMO. He may have been the trigger man...which doesn't make any difference. He was just as culpable...whether he did or did not. It's like DA Meggs stated: "sometimes you have to go to hell to get the devil" Looks like the State is willing to make a return trip so they can indict and bring to justice CA/WA and maybe others.

You all may have already theorized this so sorry if I’m coming late to the party but I think I’m starting to understand better why Rivera squealed. He doesn’t trust Garcia. He knows Garcia is desperate for KM and he’s an alcoholic. He had no problems firing him. He knows Garcia will pick KM over him when s*** hits the fan. He bought the gun and the Prius was in his name. He knows they could easily set him up to take the fall. Had he not squealed I believe Garcia, KM, and CA would’ve scapegoated him. It would’ve been so easy to do without putting CA in much trouble but hinting that Rivera sold CA drugs. That’s why Rivera didn’t even look sheepish during his testimony.

It's too bad the audio recordings of the sting operation didn't turn out better. Not just the ones where CA/KM met at the restaurant but also when CA/DA/HA were huddling at a patio table outside their condo complex in South Beach.

I am starting to think KM might be acquitted. But I'll have to see how the closing arguments go and if GC can pull all the strands of evidence together on her. SG conviction is a foregone conclusion IMO

Really? After yesterday it looked to me like she is done

You all may have already theorized this so sorry if I’m coming late to the party but I think I’m starting to understand better why Rivera squealed. He doesn’t trust Garcia. He knows Garcia is desperate for KM and he’s an alcoholic. He had no problems firing him. He knows Garcia will pick KM over him when s*** hits the fan. He bought the gun and the Prius was in his name. He knows they could easily set him up to take the fall. Had he not squealed I believe Garcia, KM, and CA would’ve scapegoated him. It would’ve been so easy to do without putting CA in much trouble but hinting that Rivera sold CA drugs. That’s why Rivera didn’t even look sheepish during his testimony.
Especially with him being in the Federal Pen. The bottom line LR is remorseful.

Do the Attorney's for CA have access to the witness lists for this trial and all of the information related to it?

Is it legal for CA and his ex-girlfriend to be texting back and forth so close to her being called to testify? Her testimony seems pretty damming considering she witnessed how he stores and organizes his cash... Stapled $100.00 bills in a safe. Can they prove who texted who first?
I don't know if the witness lists were published on the publicly available docket for the case. Any witness could reach out to CA and and let him know they received a trial subpoena. Don't think CA is prohibited from texting with the witness before her testimony. I'm sure the phone records could be subpoenaed and might prove who initiated communications. JMO.

Dr Robert Adelson says in the Over My Dead Body podcast that when he was notified that DM was murdered, he felt like he knew what had happened even though he hoped it wasn't true.

He also says his family members did not want to talk about what happened which he felt was strange because usually is an unknown assailant murders a relative the relatives are curious about what happened.

That and other things he said on the podcast speak volumes IMO. Who would know more about the dynamics of that family than their own son/brother.

I was a wreck when I was a juror. Just not being able to move around however I wanted stressed me out. My stomach was in knots and I was sleep deprived for the entire trial. It was extremely nerve-wrecking for me and I felt like other jurors could tell and I was ashamed about it. I was going to the bathroom a lot and couldn’t sit still during breaks. Every time we had to go back in I felt panicked. :(

I can’t even imagine how I would be if I had to testify!! Omg!
I’m sorry! That just shows that you care. I’m sure you did a great job.

It's too bad the audio recordings of the sting operation didn't turn out better. Not just the ones where CA/KM met at the restaurant but also when CA/DA/HA were huddling at a patio table outside their condo complex in South Beach.

I am starting to think KM might be acquitted. But I'll have to see how the closing arguments go and if GC can pull all the strands of evidence together on her. SG conviction is a foregone conclusion IMO
Yes we should prepare ourselves that she may be acquitted.

I was a wreck when I was a juror. Just not being able to move around however I wanted stressed me out. My stomach was in knots and I was sleep deprived for the entire trial. It was extremely nerve-wrecking for me and I felt like other jurors could tell and I was ashamed about it. I was going to the bathroom a lot and couldn’t sit still during breaks. Every time we had to go back in I felt panicked. :(

I can’t even imagine how I would be if I had to testify!! Omg!
No problem...Just tell the truth.

Yes this makes sense. And sadly I got the sense that LR is used to people not being loyal to him in a friendship sense and that he couldn’t trust people in general.

I agree. Rivera isn't dumb, even given his reading and writing inabilities. He held up quite well under a lot of cross examination.
I think Garcia might be dumb (although Rivera says he is smart). Or maybe just a general screw up due to substance use or other problems. Rivera managed to hold down a foreman job and still be a Latin King.
I also get the feeling the was no love lost between Katie and Rivera, that they didn't like each other much. Katie's best friend also seemed to dislike Rivera.
For me one of the key things supporting Riveras story (besides cell records etc) that is so easy to see is the Tallahassee bus video just a few minutes after the shooting. It looks like s passenger in a bright white shirt is bouncing around in the car. Then on the ATM footage the same day in Pembroke Pines it is clear the passenger in the bright white shirt is .. Garcia.

Last edited:
That is a question she could have actually said that she didn’t know to.
Yes we should prepare ourselves that she may be acquitted.
IMO. The stapled $100.00 bills is going to be the reason they will not convince 12 jurors or maybe even one to agree to acquit her. It is very rare money would be handled in that manner. (A) How did LR know the money was stapled? (B) Who do we know who staples their money? (C) How did the money travel from A to B? Based on the admitted evidence thus far. Who do you think (C) is?

Last edited:
No problem...Just tell the truth.
Even if you have nothing to hide and are absolutely telling the truth it’s still very stressful to be a witness especially testifying in a case where you know the defendant or you are or know the victim. Some people are not prepped at all and have no idea how it’s really going to be and some have unresolved feelings about the crimes and/or defendants and/or victims and that makes it hard as well to testify. And sometimes the State and/or the defense attorney’s are not kind.

I agree. Rivera isn't dumb, even given his reading and writing inabilities. He held up quite well under a lot of cross examination.
I think Garcia might be dumb. I also get the feeling the was no love lost between Katie and Rivera, that they didn't like each other much. Katie's best friend also seemed to dislike Rivera.
For me one of the key things supporting Riveras story (besides cell records etc) that is so easy to see is the Tallahassee bus video just a few minutes after the shooting. It looks like s passenger in a bright white shirt is bouncing around in the car. Then on the ATM footage the same day in Pembroke Pines it is clear the passenger in the bright white shirt is .. Garcia.
Why would LR like KM? She is conniving and convinced SG, his good friend, to kill an innocent man! I totally get what you’re saying and that you’re not saying that he should. Of course we only know his side but I get just having your friend that you are loyal to and seeing how a spouse treats your friend badly repeatedly and just not dealing with them.

IMO. The stapled $100.00 bills is going to be the reason they will not convince 12 jurors or maybe even one to agree to acquit her. It is very rare money would be handled in that manner.
Let’s hope. There is evidence against her for sure. I just don’t want to convince myself that they will be convicted and be heartbroken...

It's an actual book, self-published by WA and available at Amazon (BTW, that's WA's close-up picture on the front cover - really unusual for a novel). I haven't read it, but on his TaxProf blog, Paul Caron described it as "criminally lousy".
Yep, the cover picture..... Narcissist much?
Also the picture has a dramatically colorized blue eye.. Shades of the teal contact lenses a former friend mentions on the podcast

I've been thinking about Jeff Lacasse and June Umchinda. You could see the sorrow in their faces - that look and feeling you have when you've been blown off by someone who you've invested so much time in and had such high hopes for the future. It maybe never goes away, that feeling of being used, of only if. Both now know the full circumstance, yet they still look sorrowful. I felt very bad for both of them. But, as someone who's been there, and with the hope that they might read this, my message to them is to be proud of who you are and thank the Lord that you escaped those mf'ers. They are scum. And, you are the light.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members