GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #8 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jada E. Williams‏ @JadaEWilliams 6m6 minutes ago
Jada E. Williams Retweeted Caroline Ayala

Only one question. It was about her employment as a bottle girl. She talked more about her responsibilities.

---Caroline Ayala‏ @olivalta
Replying to @JadaEWilliams
What were the jury questions?
11:48 AM - 9 Oct 2019

There were over four hours of testimony from one of the defendants in the case who asserted in the face of substantial evidence to the contrary that she had nothing to do with this murder plot, and the one thing the jury asks is ... about her work as a bottle girl? Just in terms of general competence and credibility this does not fill me with faith in the jury's analytical capacities. Sounds like something Beavis and Butthead would ask if they were on a jury: "So you were like ... a bottle girl? Was that like ... cool and stuff? Huh huh..."

What about the “innocent until proven guilty” assumption? Most comments seem to assume that Katherine Magbanua were already convicted!

I am sorry for the victim and the Markel family and friends but Katherine Magbanua is a courageous woman. She makes mistake asking GC questions. However, her being in the witness stand draws a totally different picture! She has some “acknowledgement” of her lack of education; and, combined with her gentle attitude, it may spruce up her stake with the Tallahassee people.

Albeit remote, there is a possibility for Katherine Magbanua walking free because she is “innocent until proven guilty”! If the assumed conduit between the commanditaires and the executors walks free, the entire case might fall apart. As bad as it may seem, armchair lawyers and prosecutor wannabes, be thou ware that Katherine Magbanua may come free. That is my take thus far into her testimony.

Were we watching the same testimony??

There were over four hours of testimony from one of the defendants in the case who asserted in the face of substantial evidence to the contrary that she had nothing to do with this murder plot, and the one thing the jury asks is ... about her work as a bottle girl? Just in terms of general competence and credibility this does not fill me with faith in the jury's analytical capacities. Sounds like something Beavis and Butthead would ask if they were on a jury: "So you were like ... a bottle girl? Was that like ... cool and stuff? Huh huh..."

Exactly! Again, it's probably just one or two jurors but the question is so inconsequential. It makes you wonder!

Well, I will admit that even I have been trivial and not focused and posting directly as to items of evidence and getting into the weeds. Sorry....no disrespect intended to Dan's friends

But trust that myself, others here making jokes ...and perhaps jury are just letting off steam?

He is on Team Wendi, as is Jason Solomon. I am very skeptical of their arguments, but they are no dummies generally. Lat's Twitter today is very complimentary of KM's testimony in terms of her demeanor, deference, etc. He seems to think that the play (ploy?) here is to gin up sympathy with the jury by making her seem like a demure Filipina who could never have done something this terrible. And to be clear about Lat's POV, he is Filipino-American and a former federal prosecutor, so he has a reasonable amount of insight on such things. Again, I'm not convinced of his view and I'd have to see the testimony in person to have a strong opinion about it.

As for KM's testimony, I do think that having her take the stand and firmly state her innocence may have a positive effect on the jury. Her problem is all the other evidence to the contrary. In their rebuttal case and closing statements, the state will need to very very carefully lay out for the jury how her gauzy story of innocence is contradicted by the factual record. In fact, that might be a good roadmap for the summation. State could say, "KM said X, but here's facts 1, 2, and 3 contradicting that. KM also said Y, but here's facts 4, 5, and 6 contradicting that...." To make sure the jury is not swayed by KM's professions of innocence.
David Lat wants publicity and continued to be in touch with WA I think post-murder when evidence pointed otherwise. Jason Solomon is a very decent guy who was IMO too naive at first to believe someone Dan had married and loved would kill him. But he has done a 180 since - even before the trial with calling at the evil behavior of denying access to the grandchildren, but now he is - I am quite certain - on team - lock-up-WA alongside her bro/mom

Dang - I missed it! I’ve got a plumber here. Were the texts damaging to KM?

Jada E. Williams‏ @JadaEWilliams 5m5 minutes ago
The state is showing text messages records showing the things that Magbanua received from Adelson. In her testimony, she said Adelson didn't give her many things. Wendi Adelson also said her brother wasn't the type to buy things for his girlfriends. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hashtagzeina