FL - Doug Benefield, 58, shot and killed by estranged wife, Manatee County, 27 Sept 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Are we for real right now?
I hope it wasnt a WS that sent that letter in . CRAZY WASTE OF TIME ...
k ,Just hads to vent. It all good now.

@cathyrusson

NEW: A deputy said they saw Eva, Doug Benefield's daughter, speaking to the local media yesterday. She is on the stand right now without the jury present to explain.

Reminder: Eva was kept under subpoena after her testimony to be recalled later. Therefore, she remains under the rule of witness sequestration.

Eva said she didn't speak about her testimony when she spoke to the reporter. She said she just spoke about her emotional state. She also posted on Tik Tok following her testimony.

1721914364199.png

Judge now polling jurors individually on if they had exposure to the trial. Judge: A news reporter walked to a restaurant near the courthouse for lunch . Inside, there was a large screen television playing coverage and commentary of the trial . Additionally, individuals in the restaurant were discussing a witness's testimony. The conversation occurred within earshot of a man who the news reporter recognized as a juror in the case. So I'm asking everybody are you familiar with that? Has that happened to you? Have you received any information outside of these four walls?

Judge now calling jurors into the courtroom individually to question them. A news reporter saw a juror at lunch yesterday who was within earshot of several people discussing the case.

Today is starting out crazy!

I have a question.

This crime happened in 2020 as the title of this thread says.

Why did it take so much time to start a trial?

Thanks!
I only discovered this case yesterday,
or was it the day before yesterday? :rolleyes:

Several reasons for the delay in this case coming to trial.

Covid delayed courts all over the county. Then there was also a Stand your Ground hearing first. Defense has consistently delayed at every opportunity. They attempted yet another delay the day the trial started on Tuesday.

Uh oh! Cellebrite data!

*Karen Read trial flashbacks*

MOO
Vinnie Politan has a segment on "Standing With Ashley" and he begins the video speaking about all the supporters that Karen Read had in Massachusetts.

www.courttv.com

Ashley Benefield News Updates | Court TV

Ex-ballerina Ashley Benefield has claimed self-defense in the shooting death of her husband, Doug, while prosecutors say it was about a custody dispute.
www.courttv.com
www.courttv.com

Vinnie Politan has a segment on "Standing With Ashley" and he begins the video speaking about all the supporters that Karen Read had in Massachusetts.

www.courttv.com

Ashley Benefield News Updates | Court TV

Ex-ballerina Ashley Benefield has claimed self-defense in the shooting death of her husband, Doug, while prosecutors say it was about a custody dispute.
www.courttv.com
www.courttv.com
I can see some similarities between this and the KR trial, but also many differences.

One big difference is how quickly the Benefield trial is moving. I can't keep up! I don't think I've even had a chance to express what I actually think about the evidence so far, and if I heard correctly earlier, the State only has 3 witnesses left?!

Let's just say I'm thinking there's a much greater chance of AB being convicted than there is for KR.

JMO

Linked a detailed article about what transpired over time.

AB was arrested in Nov. 2020. She was released on bond, has been wearing an ankle monitor since her release.

AB filed petitions of domestic violence against her husband in 2018 and 2020.
Due to COVID, FL courts were delayed and in 2023, the defendant attempted to have case dismissed under FL's Stand Your Ground law.

-- Minor scratches does not mean she suffered no physical or mental abuse. moo

According to the investigation: "DB did not appear to be facing his wife when she began shooting."

Initially it was set for trial date on October 16, 2023.

Just wondering if there is a point to all these phone messages? Everything pretty benign up to this point.
So far from the messages being read in court IMO:
The prosecutor could be using the messages to show that leading up to the shooting AB had no reason to believe that her life was in danger from DB and that she had no reason to fear him when he arrived to help pack because nothing was threatening in his messages?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back