FL - Doug Benefield, 58, shot and killed by estranged wife, Manatee County, 27 Sept 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Defense described Doug as 30 years older than Ashley and was obsessed with her. Defense says during an argument Doug shot a hole in the ceiling. Another time he punched the dog and knocked him out during an argument with Ashley.

Prosecution: Ashley killed Doug over custody of their daughter.
Defense: Ashley killed Doug in self-defense.

Already contention inside the #AshleyBenefield courtroom with Doug Benefield's cousin under cross-exam. After multiple sidebars, the judge just sent the jury out.

@cathyrusson

Unsure if you ever watched the American version of the show Shameless but there's this character Ethel from a cult who dresses like that and that's all I see when I look at that picture.
I an not familiar with that show. I think the prosecution is foolish if they don't show Ashley as she really is instead of that mousey thing----

Next witness John Sant, former neighbor of Ashley and her mother when they lived in Lakewood Ranch.

ETA: Also the 911 caller.

AB pretending to be upset upon hearing the 911 call, looks like she is in some kind of trance with her eyes closed and trying to make herself cry. Obviously fake.

Last year, the judge also denied a motion to dismiss on the basis of immunity from prosecution as provided by Florida's "stand your ground" law.

If convicted, Benefield could face a minimum of 25 years to life in prison.

1:05 PM EDT July 23, 2024

Manatee County Deputy Thomas Baurle up next.

ETA: AB was placed in his cruiser in handcuffs and he drove her to Bradenton PD.

Last edited:
Next witness is John Jones of Sheriff's Office Violent Crimes unit

ETA: He is the one who found DB's body in the bedroom after he had been shot.

Last edited:
Detective Tyler Ackerman up next, Manatee County Sheriffs Office. He appears to be in charge of the fire arm.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back