FL - Doug Benefield, 58, shot and killed by estranged wife, Manatee County, 27 Sept 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What I see as an observer of this tragedy:

- husband 30 years older than a wife
Wife - young& beautiful seems to be a "trophy wife"

- they got married after 2 weeks of "dating"
Love-bombing at its worst

- husband had been married twice before

- Previous wife who died 9 months before accused him of DV

- husband had a teen daughter who was completely oblivious that Dad got married again

- husband tortured animals
(dog hit unconscious,
cat thrown down the stairs)

- husband fired a gun in the kitchen with wife inside

- husband threw
a loaded gun at wife / made a hole in the wall during rage attack

- during divorce proceedings husband spied on the wife

- one night he was in the yard of the house she was living and spying on her

- husband hit her with a full, heavy box

- husband hit her in the face/head

Did I miss anything? :rolleyes:

Well, ladies and gentlemen
I see a woman mentally/psychologically abused for a long time and on every level.
Manipulated, intimidated, fearful.

A woman fearing escalation,
fearing for her safety.

And fearing for the safety of her young daughter.

And the last thing
mind-blowing for me:
I also see a lot of misogyny :(

JMO
Anywhere where I can find out more about the relationship with Renee? You indicated she was abused. Where did that come from...I am just now getting into this story and boy to me that is important but I imagine the "prior bad acts" were not allowed in early in the lead up to this trial?

Yes^….. and granted I’ve never been in such a situation…… but with all that elapsed time, if AB was so terrified….. then perhaps get the gun, take a shot at DB and run like you know what……. But no, IIRC she shot him four (4) times from differing angles? Isn’t that in many many cases watched known as ‘overki……’. SMH. MOO
If she was so scared of him why did the mother go to the park with the daughter??? Is that the correct story??? Can you imagine leaving her there??? Something off with this whole story.

Anywhere where I can find out more about the relationship with Renee? You indicated she was abused. Where did that come from...I am just now getting into this story and boy to me that is important but I imagine the "prior bad acts" were not allowed in early in the lead up to this trial?

Texts from R. were found by Ashley and presented in Court.

Last edited:
If she was so scared of him why did the mother go to the park with the daughter??? Is that the correct story??? Can you imagine leaving her there??? Something off with this whole story.

Chaos of packing is not a good place for a small child -
easy to get hurt by heavy boxes or accident.
A young child is like quicksilver.

Better for a child to spend time outdoors playing in the park with loving Granny.

JMO

Chaos of packing is not good place for a small child -
easy to get hurt by heavy boxes.
Better for a child to spend time outdoors playing in the park with loving Granny.

JMO
Well the timing is sure interesting. No way did she have any concerns about him...he was welcome into the home to pack and in fact be there alone with her. 2+ 2 not = 4 here. The one shot was enough to give her a chance to get out of there if she perceived danger.

Yes^….. and granted I’ve never been in such a situation…… but with all that elapsed time, if AB was so terrified….. then perhaps get the gun, take a shot at DB and run like you know what……. But no, IIRC she shot him four (4) times from differing angles? Isn’t that in many many cases watched known as ‘overki……’. SMH. MOO
I don't believe her story.

If he was on her tail he could have stopped her before she got to her bedroom where she retrieved the gun.
Just grabbing her hair could have stopped her.

The layout of the front entrance, LR, DR daughter's bedroom , AB's bedroom and bath were shown as evidence.
Missing was the kitchen and I assume a rear exit that she could have run to get outside and run for help or whatever.

It wasn't even like she knew her gun was out in the open in her bedroom.
It was in a storage container.
She boxed herself in her room with a gun that could have been used against her.

For all we know she could have been in her bedroom for quite awhile before he came in.

Curious if there's a timeline available from when he got there until she killed him?

I have to think they are in the gallery.
They very well could be.
Usually reporters figure out who's who in the gallery and ask for comments then report on it.

Nor info about or comment's from AB's ex-husband or the guy she was said to be engaged to who gave her a ring..IIRC: the state did mention his name?

I have a question.
When is the end of trial?
Closing speeches?
I think I will tune in when the Jury will be sent to deliberate :rolleyes:

IMO - it is nonsensical to think AB was "packing" to move to Maryland for a fresh start with DB. I believe AB had no intent to ever move given that her mom was in Bradenton and the "packing" was part of the plan to do away with DB in the chaos of moving. All premeditated ...

AB also was a snooper.

When Doug and Ashley Benefield Started a Ballet ...​

Vanity Fair
https://www.vanityfair.com › Style › new york city ballet

Sep 2, 2021 — In June, Ashley found Eva's diary and read it, learning that her stepdaughter hated her. Doug and Ashley argued. They yelled. Doug grabbed a ...

IMO - it is nonsensical to think AB was "packing" to move to Maryland for a fresh start with DB. I believe AB had no intent to ever move given that her mom was in Bradenton and the "packing" was part of the plan to do away with DB in the chaos of moving. All premeditated ...
AB's mother inherited a house in Maryland and that's were they were supposedly going to live .

AB with her daughter and her mother.
DB had already gotten a job there and was to live in a different house/apt.

What I see as an observer of this tragedy:

- husband 30 years older than a wife
Wife - young& beautiful seems to be a "trophy wife"

- they got married after 2 weeks of "dating"
Love-bombing at its worst

- husband had been married twice before

- Previous wife who died 9 months before accused him of DV

- husband had a teen daughter who was completely oblivious that Dad got married again

- husband tortured animals
(dog hit unconscious,
cat thrown down the stairs)

- husband fired a gun in the kitchen with wife inside

- husband threw
a loaded gun at wife / made a hole in the wall during rage attack

- during divorce proceedings husband spied on the wife

- one night he was in the yard of the house she was living and spying on her

- husband hit her with a full, heavy box

- husband hit her in the face/head

Did I miss anything? :rolleyes:

Well, ladies and gentlemen
I see a woman mentally/psychologically abused for a long time and on every level.
Manipulated, intimidated, fearful.

A woman fearing escalation,
fearing for her safety.

And fearing for the safety of her young daughter.

And the last thing
mind-blowing for me:
I also see a lot of misogyny :(

JMO
I don't see ANY of this as fact. I see this as "HER STORY'

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics