GUILTY FL - Doug Benefield, 58, shot and killed by estranged wife, Manatee County, 27 Sept 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The shooting is the result of a long process/early events.

Ignoring the previous "drama"
is like watching only "The End" credits of a film.

If they were blissfully happy,
there wouldn't be this case to discuss on WS.

And they would be living happily ever after.

JMO
She said in the past he never physically assaulted her or threatened her life. She claimed when he was waving the gun he pointed it at her during that big fight they had. That was it!

A volatile, immature, dysfunctional relationship is not necessarily DV. Defense is using a bunch of the victim’s bad behavior in the past to justify killing him. She also made unsubstantiated claims of poisoning and physical and sexual abuse of their daughter. These seem to be entirely fabricated by her. It’s not even close to being close to enough to justify what she did. No way. We are certainly watching a fictional story written by the defendant.

JMO

She said in the past he never physically assaulted her or threatened her life. She claimed when he was waving the gun he pointed it at her during that big fight they had. That was it!

A volatile, immature, dysfunctional relationship is not necessarily DV. Defense is using a bunch of the victim’s bad behavior in the past to justify killing him. She also made unsubstantiated claims of poisoning and physical and sexual abuse of their daughter. These seem to be entirely fabricated by her. It’s not even close to being close to enough to justify what she did. No way. We are certainly watching a fictional story written by the defendant.

JMO

There are 3 FACTS that are more than "volatile, immature relationship".

1. torturing pets
2. shooting at home
3. making a hole in the wall by throwing things

Trust me,
even 1 would be enough for Police in my country in Europe for establishing so called Blue Card - for domestic abusers.

I don't even mention shooting, as weapons are illegal in my country.

<modsnip - referenced post was removed for discussing an unapproved YT source>

On another note, I wonder if the mom has a hatred of men based on HER relationship with AB’s father and she fostered that in her daughter? Didn’t the father abandon the family when AB was a toddler?

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 3 FACTS that are more than "volatile, immature relationship".

1. torturing pets
2. shooting at home
3. making a hole in the wall by throwing things

Trust me,
even 1 would be enough for Police in my country in Europe for establishing so called Blue Card - for domestic abusers.

I don't even mention shooting, as weapons are illegal in my country.
So based on these past behaviors she was justified in killing him? That’s not the law in the United States, thankfully. In the United States, we have a high standard for the taking of a life.

What matters is was she in imminent threat of death or serious bodily injury at the time she shot him. It’s that simple. She does not qualify for “battered woman syndrome” per my previous comment about what she testified to about their past. She is not credible either because of her totally fabricated previous allegations and her performance on the stand.

She’s guilty. No question.

JMO

Edited to add: I also think we should acknowledge that Doug was also grieving. He was in turmoil and traumatized as testified to by the couple’s therapist. Men deal with stress and difficult emotions differently. I don’t think it’s fair to label them as domestic abusers because they act aggressively or domineering. <modsnip> Obviously I’m not condoning what he did to the animals or firing a gun inside the home. But there’s no indication this was ongoing up to the time of his death. She had lived apart from him for MONTHS at the time she shot him.

I'm going to take the perfect fence-sitting position on this case. I don't believe murder-2 has been proven by the state, I don't believe this jury will be comfortable sending this defendant away for 25 to life but I don't see them being convinced that AB's shooting of DB was entirely lawful either. Let's see what lesser-includeds make it into to jury instruction.

JMO

So based on these past behaviors she was justified in killing him? That’s not the law in the United States, thankfully. In the United States, we have a high standard for the taking of a life.

What matters is was she in imminent threat of death or serious bodily injury at the time she shot him. It’s that simple. She does not qualify for “battered woman syndrome” per my previous comment about what she testified to about their past. She is not credible either because of her totally fabricated previous allegations and her performance on the stand.

She’s guilty. No question.

JMO

Torturing animals seem to indicate complete lack of empathy/higher feelings.
Possible psychopathy.

And yes,
I think when such a person is enraged and blinded by obsession
he could kill.

And IMO,
I believe the defendant feared for her life.

JMO

This may not be a popular opinion but I believe AB planned to take DB out the day of the move and her mom knew about it. AB might have thought a "Stand Your Ground" defense would be an automatic win given DB's past history with the tantrums/destructive behavior and shooting his gun inside the house. IMO, she never thought it would go to trial.

I think it’s quite likely she planned this as well. I don’t think that’s a stretch to think that. She had been wholly defeated in family court. She was desperate. I think it’s possible her mom also was in on it.

JMO

I think it’s quite likely she planned this as well. I don’t think that’s a stretch to think that. She had been wholly defeated in family court. She was desperate. I think it’s possible her mom also was in on it.

JMO
She screamed at LE and said in no uncertain terms that she would do whatever it takes
snipped
“She let out like a screech or a high-pitched scream and she says, ‘I will do whatever I have to do to keep my baby you [expletive0,'” Gillum said.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed for discussing an unapproved YT source>

On another note, I wonder if the mom has a hatred of men based on HER relationship with AB’s father and she fostered that in her daughter? Didn’t the father abandon the family when AB was a toddler?

JMO
I would like to know more about her background. I heard nothing about father abandoning them...he was a navy pilot and then flew for commercial airlines which he still does today. This is per her testimony. Her description of childhood was normal and her mother stayed home to raise her. There was no abandonment and not sure where the father is....I would think he would be in court. His daughter is on trial for murder.

I would like to know more about her background. I heard nothing about father abandoning them...he was a navy pilot and then flew for commercial airlines which he still does today. This is per her testimony. Her description of childhood was normal and her mother stayed home to raise her. There was no abandonment and not sure where the father is....I would think he would be in court. His daughter is on trial for murder.
The VF story characterized the father as abandoning the family. I believe that’s how AB characterized it. And the fact that he’s not in court suggests this is the case, I think. Assuming he’s still alive. Not sure where ppl are getting the info about his death.

I'm going to take the perfect fence-sitting position on this case. I don't believe murder-2 has been proven by the state, I don't believe this jury will be comfortable sending this defendant away for 25 to life but I don't see them being convinced that AB's shooting of DB was entirely lawful either. Let's see what lesser-includeds make it into to jury instruction.

JMO

Agree.

I can see a manslaughter or lesser verdict making more sense to a jury based on the case as presented. Murder in the 2nd, not so much.

Imperfect justice perhaps, but straight-up acquittal would be injustice, IMO, and I wonder also about the precedent such a verdict might set.

Agree.

I can see a manslaughter or lesser verdict making more sense to a jury based on the case as presented. Murder in the 2nd, not so much.

Imperfect justice perhaps, but straight-up acquittal would be injustice, IMO, and I wonder also about the precedent such a verdict might set.
I think if lessers are in that is what will happen....a compromise rather than hung. Murder 2 I think will not be agreed to by the 6. I expect this judge will allow lessers given defense does not want that. Taylor has lost most of his arguments with the judge.

Taylor never went anywhere and was rude to the judge, we may hear more. Prosecution went to heavy, whilst didnt need to. DB didnt stand a chance. He was offering alternativas long after AB had decided she wanted nothing to do with him. She played him. Cheap shot, literal. Imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babycakes15