FL - Doug Benefield, 58, shot and killed by estranged wife, Manatee County, 27 Sept 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was watching some old coverage of pretrial and saw that Jack O'Keefe a paralegal is NOT allowed to sit at defense table. Is that some special ruling by this judge (he seems to hate defense) or normal protocol in Florida? I seem to remember many staff sitting at the same table as defendant etc. He is very involved in the case and Ashley seems to communicate more with him than Taylor. Wonder if jury just thinks Taylor is really that bad or more as I do that judge seems to really dislike him and his case.

There are 3 FACTS that are more than "volatile, immature relationship".

1. torturing pets
2. shooting at home
3. making a hole in the wall by throwing things

Trust me,
even 1 would be enough for Police in my country in Europe for establishing so called Blue Card - for domestic abusers.

I don't even mention shooting, as weapons are illegal in my country.

These are unforgivable acts of violence that I would never tolerate.
It’s understandable why she could have been terrified of him.

This is just stupid. Could they not have done the work and then had rebuttal? I mean it was known what the rebuttal was. State just wanted her back up there for the sympathy factor. Now jury can sit all morning? REally rude to the jury in my opinion.

The more I watch this the more I wonder is Taylor really as bad as he seems? So often he has his facts wrong. Not so sure AB got the defense she should have.

I’d find it incredibly difficult to convict her based on what the state presented

and I think she planned it.

Works in her favor that she left him alive too…I didn’t know that before

people keep saying father is deceased. Could we get some proof of that. Per her testimony I did not hear her say that at all.
I haven’t found anything on him, but I haven’t really looked. He was not on the house from. I believe it was 2011. It was only in her mother‘s name.
And I’ve only seen things about her maternal grandparents online. And that side of the family.

I haven’t found anything on him, but I haven’t really looked. He was not on the house from. I believe it was 2011. It was only in her mother‘s name.
And I’ve only seen things about her maternal grandparents online. And that side of the family.
There is a Vanity Fair detailed article about AB and DB history. It is interesting for sure. It says he left early on although in her testimony AB did not mention that. As for who is paying attorney? Well per VF article "On her application for a public defender, she said that she had no cash, no bank account, and no savings. She adheres to an 11 p.m. curfew and wears an ankle bracelet around the clock." AB did not even finish high school and the ballet and modeling careers never really happened. So is Taylor public defender? Or did mother sell everything to get her a criminal defense? I don't know. So much has been left out of this trial in terms of years leading up to this event and what I do think is a form of abuse...probably mutual abuse.

There is a Vanity Fair detailed article about AB and DB history. It is interesting for sure. It says he left early on although in her testimony AB did not mention that. As for who is paying attorney? Well per VF article "On her application for a public defender, she said that she had no cash, no bank account, and no savings. She adheres to an 11 p.m. curfew and wears an ankle bracelet around the clock." AB did not even finish high school and the ballet and modeling careers never really happened. So is Taylor public defender? Or did mother sell everything to get her a criminal defense? I don't know. So much has been left out of this trial in terms of years leading up to this event and what I do think is a form of abuse...probably mutual abuse.
That article is also why I think AB finds herself wealthier men to take care of her. It’s either her mother or a man in my opinion.

Unless I missed it, I sure would have liked to see an attempt at reconstructing the multiple shots taken by AB that ultimately took the estranged husband DB’s life that day. The shots in that small room.

From the limited evidence shown IIRC of two shots yesterday (blue and green) - IMO sure seems the victim was below and possible crouched down and trying to avoid or evade - at least being fired on from above by ~6’ high defendant AB. She was from what I remember standing above him and firing downward towards him - and for the most part from right to left and down. (Is she right handed? Was there ever testimony or confirmed?) (And defense counsel / client AB supposed portrayal of a ‘blading’ warrior confronting and challenging her head on IIUC doesn’t fit evidence IMO.) Needed diagram and portrayal of the shots, trajectories, where bullets struck victim and wall, and possible movements for both AB and DB during the deadly confrontation.

And learning that one shot near incapacitated or impacted / severed the spine rendering his legs of little use and he therefore could not feel them (IIUC statements from first responders). And not having any details of which shot might have affected him by being first by the state is a hole left in the story.

And still IMO need a better explanation of the timeline….. tabulated. When they met; requested vasectomy reversal; when pregnant; alleged custody and abuse incidents timeline; when shot; supposed packing move to MD; when AB went next door or to neighbor IIRC; when speaking with mother (in person or on phone); who / when called 911; when medics / police arrived. And perhaps warrants and evidence sought should have included more of AB communications in the days, moments before, during, and after the shooting? IMO the jury (and those following) seem to be missing some important details. And it is now apparent the victim survived for some brief time after the shooting. Timing of her movements and actions are critical to understand IMO.

Sorry….. but I am not able to do the closing for the state. But I sure hope they can bring it home. Not sure IMO there is reasonable doubt in her story in her favor as to how the deadly encounter unfolded. MOO

So...
Were the charges downgraded as per Prosecution request?

I only follow WS thread.

That article is also why I think AB finds herself wealthier men to take care of her. It’s either her mother or a man in my opinion.
she picked a wrong number with DB. That whole ballet scheme was a debacle left him with not much and he was more of a wheeler dealer rather than a solid businessman that had "real" money. No question that was the attraction for her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back