VERDICT WATCH FL - Doug Benefield, 58, shot and killed by estranged wife, Manatee County, 27 Sept 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Dr Quintal met both of them. He was the couple’s counselor and he also counseled them individually I believe. Those statements he made were based on his observations. People give therapist’s opinion a lot of weight and I think this subverts justice. Quintal’s observations should not weigh that much. JMO

Dr Quintal met both of them. He was the couple’s counselor and he also counseled them individually I believe. Those statements he made were based on his observations. People give therapist’s opinion a lot of weight and I think this subverts justice. Quintal’s observations should not weigh that much. JMO
agreed. Wasn't he the one who met with Ashley for like 20 hrs and Doug only 2x and them as a couple only 2x?

ETA: He was the "trauma" guy, right? I thought he was full of bs!

I fail to see how Quintal’s observations lead to imminent fear for her life at the moment of shooting. That’s what the jurors need to focus on. Was her testimony credible? It was most assuredly not. She’s guilty. I fear that one juror will be sympathetic to her and that the defense demonization of Doug will worm its way into some juror’s mind. To me, therapist’s should not be considered expert witnesses and allowed to give opinion. It’s junk science. Also, whatever Doug’s behavior in the therapy room in front of AB does not mean that’s how he behaved outside all the time. If he was being provoked by her that may have exacerbated his hostility. And there can be no doubt she was provoking him! Over and over by her baseless and outlandish accusations. JMO

Going to be between manslaughter and 2nd. Def not not guilty and I think AB just realized it. Moo
My understanding is that manslaughter + firearm enhancement in Florida can go all the way up to 30 years. If she does get found guilty of manslaughter, don't think that necessarily means she's getting off easy.

When Courts reply to jury questions with “rely on your memory” I’ve always thought was an interesting response…

some might say if the jury remembered, then they likely wouldn’t be asking the question to begin with. JMO

When Courts reply to jury questions with “rely on your memory” I’ve always thought was an interesting response…

some might say if the jury remembered, then they likely wouldn’t be asking the question to begin with. JMO
Like, yeah. I genuinely don't understand why juries aren't allowed transcripts. Moreover, when a trial is being filmed, I feel like the jury SHOULD be allowed to review the footage.

If I remember correctly, Dr Quintal's report did not refer to DB as being Alpha male. This was Taylor sneaking in questions about opinion that prosecution should have jumped on. It was during Quintal's testimony that he and the jury were removed whilst judge admonished Taylor for suggesting bias against the defence. Jury must have wondered what was going on.

Do we know what answer the jury got to their question?

If I remember correctly, Dr Quintal's report did not refer to DB as being Alpha male. This was Taylor sneaking in questions about opinion that prosecution should have jumped on. It was during Quintal's testimony that he and the jury were removed whilst judge admonished Taylor for suggesting bias against the defence. Jury must have wondered what was going on.

Do we know what answer the jury got to their question?
Yes Seni…..my feeble mind seems to recall similar. And I can’t remember whether jury was present then or not during that yesterday IIRC? And I think that Dr. Quintal was asked under defense direct late in his testimony about what he might have thought of DB characteristics on that regard? I can’t quite remember all what was said. And on state redirect wasn’t there some remark or attempt to say that some of that might have also been as recounted by AB portrayal to the therapist? I might be misremembering some of that. MOO

first state closing was great, second one just ok. different attys
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a remotely good prosecution rebuttal argument. Always just seems ranty and desperate. I dont know why they bother with them.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back