GUILTY FL - Doug Benefield, 58, shot and killed by estranged wife, Manatee County, 27 Sept 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like, yeah. I genuinely don't understand why juries aren't allowed transcripts. Moreover, when a trial is being filmed, I feel like the jury SHOULD be allowed to review the footage.
Jury would see so much in the gallery and defendant I'm sure the defense would consider it prejudicial. And with the transcript, in writing it would all look like 'fact' and they couldn't 'see' the witness to judge if they are being truthful. Its a catch 22 IMO. I took tons of notes when i was a juror and we still had missing info when deliberating as people even made notes that didn't always match up.

Like, yeah. I genuinely don't understand why juries aren't allowed transcripts. Moreover, when a trial is being filmed, I feel like the jury SHOULD be allowed to review the footage.
Agreed. Expert witnesses so often refer to notes, they don’t memorize everything, do Courts fault them for that? Tell them to just “rely on their memory”? Nah. And certainly there’s numerous differences btwn an expert witness and a group of laypeople.
Wow judge cannnot even pretend to take Taylor seriously any more. Did you see the look on his face when Taylor wanted to ask jury if they want readback???
Yeah, and his language in that there was essentially “only one” way to respond to the jury’s question seemed to also indicate his stance (I want to say ‘attitude’ but that often comes off too strongly) towards Taylor at this point. Not sure a higher court would agree there was “only 1” way to possibly answer their question [not that such a question would ever reach them on its own, but I’m just mentioning it].

Maybe he’s tired, it’s been a long day, etc. One of the prosecutors couldn’t put down her phone while the Judge was speaking, very respectful [not]. JMOO

Jason S. Quintal, the couple's marital counselor, testified that Doug Benefield "occurred as someone who was domineering at times," and "super controlling," but who "was very dedicated to wanting the relationship to work."

"He was very interested, despite conversations with some of the very disparaging things that Ashley had said about him, he was very much still wanting this to work and their plans were to move to Maryland," Quintal said.

Agreed. Expert witnesses so often refer to notes, they don’t memorize everything, do Courts fault them for that? Tell them to just “rely on their memory”? Nah. And certainly there’s numerous differences btwn an expert witness and a group of laypeople.

Yeah, and his language in that there was essentially “only one” way to respond to the jury’s question seemed to also indicate his stance (I want to say ‘attitude’ but that often comes off too strongly) towards Taylor at this point. Not sure a higher court would agree there was “only 1” way to possibly answer their question [not that such a question would ever reach them on its own, but I’m just mentioning it].

Maybe he’s tired, it’s been a long day, etc. One of the prosecutors couldn’t put down her phone while the Judge was speaking, very respectful [not]. JMOO
I will say it "attitude". Judge does not even try to hide it now.

The judge has been more than patient with defense. He allowed him to make his arguments in full. Never cut him off or disparaged him. He didn’t sanction him when state asked - justifiably so. And many of the defense motions have been granted. Taylor has been playing games and bobbin’ and weavin’ throughout this trial. Judge has done an excellent job of preserving the verdict for appeal. JMO

listening to Peter LYK...I have to agree with him so many things left out of the story...rather disjointed...I guess some was due to advance rulings. Anyone know, for example why she had the baby delivered so early? Did she run into medical situation or what.

listening to Peter LYK...I have to agree with him so many things left out of the story...rather disjointed...I guess some was due to advance rulings. Anyone know, for example why she had the baby delivered so early? Did she run into medical situation or what.
I was wondering this also. I can't see her 'wanting' a c-section scar, but the timing??? A way to just keep him from being there?

The judge has been more than patient with defense. He allowed him to make his arguments in full. Never cut him off or disparaged him. He didn’t sanction him when state asked - justifiably so. And many of the defense motions have been granted. Taylor has been playing games and bobbin’ and weavin’ throughout this trial. Judge has done an excellent job of preserving the verdict for appeal. JMO
FWIW, he said he wasn’t dealing with potential sanctions now; not that he was disagreeing with the State and that the defense would not be sanctioned whatsoever. I think the slight distinction makes a difference; it’s not that “he didn’t” it is “he didn’t (sanction) do it now”. But JMO

FWIW, he said he wasn’t dealing with potential sanctions now; not that he was disagreeing with the State and that the defense would not be sanctioned whatsoever. I think the slight distinction makes a difference; it’s not that “he didn’t” it is “he didn’t (sanction) do it now”. But JMO

You’re right. I doubt he will sanction him though…..but he might. I think the judge has been very thoughtful in his rulings and very respectful to both sides. Great leadership! He can clearly see Taylor’s unprofessionalism and has shown great restraint imo.

My only concern is the jury goes for manslaughter. Ugh. Otherwise definitely guilty verdict. That’s my prediction.

I was wondering this also. I can't see her 'wanting' a c-section scar, but the timing??? A way to just keep him from being there?
If motive was to keep him away I find it hard to believe that doctors would deliver early for just no reason..I think it was at least one month.

Stephanie Murphy: She had gotten plenty of lab work done because she was pregnant. … Her medical records in South Carolina … her labs all came back normal.

Three weeks before her due date, without Doug knowing, Ashley checked herself into the hospital.

Alice Robb: I don't think she was poisoned, but that doesn't mean she doesn't think she was poisoned.

Stephanie Murphy: She was at Tampa General Hospital … claiming … the child had been exposed to heavy metals in utero because her husband had poisoned her.
Ashley also claimed, without any proof, that Doug was physically abusive and had held her prisoner back in Charleston. And even though Doug was hundreds of miles away, she said he had been stalking her in Florida.

Stephanie Murphy: I don't think Ashley was ever sincerely afraid of Doug.

With no way to know if what Ashley told them was true, the hospital took precautions for her safety and assigned her a new name – Christina. Three days later, doctors performed a C-section. The baby girl was healthy. But Ashley continued to worry her baby had been poisoned.

You’re right. I doubt he will sanction him though…..but he might. I think the judge has been very thoughtful in his rulings and very respectful to both sides. Great leadership! He can clearly see Taylor’s unprofessionalism and has shown great restraint imo.

My only concern is the jury goes for manslaughter. Ugh. Otherwise definitely guilty verdict. That’s my prediction.
i agree that judge has shown great restraint when dealing with Taylor..my only point is now without jury his face sort of indicates his almost disbelief in some of the things asked by Taylor. I think he tried hard but AB could have done better with another defense lawyer. Maybe not win but just a sharper defense.

Stephanie Murphy: She had gotten plenty of lab work done because she was pregnant. … Her medical records in South Carolina … her labs all came back normal.

Three weeks before her due date, without Doug knowing, Ashley checked herself into the hospital.

Alice Robb: I don't think she was poisoned, but that doesn't mean she doesn't think she was poisoned.

Stephanie Murphy: She was at Tampa General Hospital … claiming … the child had been exposed to heavy metals in utero because her husband had poisoned her.
Ashley also claimed, without any proof, that Doug was physically abusive and had held her prisoner back in Charleston. And even though Doug was hundreds of miles away, she said he had been stalking her in Florida.

Stephanie Murphy: I don't think Ashley was ever sincerely afraid of Doug.

With no way to know if what Ashley told them was true, the hospital took precautions for her safety and assigned her a new name – Christina. Three days later, doctors performed a C-section. The baby girl was healthy. But Ashley continued to worry her baby had been poisoned.
Wow....did all that come out in testimony? There is so much that I either missed or that was left out.

If motive was to keep him away I find it hard to believe that doctors would deliver early for just no reason..I think it was at least one month.
She claimed she was being poisoned and the doctors did a c section 3 weeks before the baby was due to be on the safe side. Baby was fine and no signs of poison.

While we wait for the verdict I’m going to be a little bit picky about the state’s version of the motive….

So the prosecutor argued that the motive was that AB was worried Doug would get full custody bc he was more financially stable. However, later on she argued AB was free from the defendant financially. She had her own home and her own money (the pros specifically said something along these lines). Y’all recall that? That was when she was going through the “Power and Control” wheel presented by Ferris. I thought that portion of the closing was good but I wish she had explained AB finances better during the trial and closing. If that was the motive, it should’ve been explored more at trial. Did I miss something?

I think the prosecutor’s closing could’ve used some tightening up. She also said all the ways in which Doug never assaulted the defendant and forgot to mention the waving of the gun allegedly in the direction of AB. She never touched that, which makes it seem like she was hiding the ball.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member