FL - Family of four kills police officer during shootout - Aug. 7, 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Clearsky

Reaction score

Michael and Julie Ann Sulpizio and daughters Cheyenne, 23, and Savannah, 22, were at their home in rural Eustis, about 37 miles northwest of Orlando, when deputies arrived Friday night after receiving a report that Julie Ann, 48, had been trying to lure other residents into the residence to kill them.

1723036533542.png

Much more and video here
Sheriff Grinnell detailed the incident, starting with a 911 call received just before 8 p.m. on Friday. The caller reported a woman, later identified as Sulpizio, assaulting people and trespassing on their property on Brookside Drive. Sulpizio allegedly struck residents while making religious accusations and proclamations, the sheriff explained.

"The complainant stated she [Sulpizio] was acting religious, accusing them of being sinners, and she knows 'what they did,'" the sheriff explained. "They identified Julie Sulpizio as their neighbor, but Julie states that she is 'Helen, under God's will.'"
Sheriff Grinnell said a deputy arrived at the scene and encountered Sulpizio with her hands concealed behind her back. Despite being ordered to back up, she approached the deputy, prompting him to draw his Taser. Sulpizio walked toward the deputy, which prompted a warning from the deputy.

"During a calm verbal exchange, Julie Sulpizio states that they, meaning the group of people that were present there, were involved in pedophilia," Sheriff Grinnell said. "She again claims to be 'Helen,' and she asked one of the victims that she had battered, 'Who was your God?'"

The sheriff said Sulpizio told the group, "Julie is in heaven."

"She then went on to state, 'You see, the thing is, we needed to trick Lucy,' and we later learned [Lucy] to be a name she calls Lucifer." The sheriff said Sulpizio then pointed to the deputy and said, "You are one of them."

Deputies called for backup after discovering 2 dead dogs​

As deputies attempted to arrest Sulpizio, they decided to conduct a welfare check at her home down the street. Upon arrival, they discovered two dead dogs outside the house and an open window with the screen kicked out, Sheriff Grinnell said. Finding this suspicious, they called for backup.

Deputies Link and Howell entered the home through the back entrance, moving through the living room and hallway. Deputy Link went to the left, and Deputy Howell went to the right. According to the sheriff, Deputy Link, with his back turned, was ambushed by Sulpizio's husband, Michael, who was armed and ready, according to the sheriff.

Deputy Link was shot in the back and, despite trying to crawl out, was shot several more times after running out of bullets, the sheriff explained. This was captured on his body camera, providing both audio and video evidence.

"His body-worn camera continuously recorded audio and video from within the residence, facing upward," the sheriff said. ...

"Master Deputy Link, 28, first became part of the Lake County Sheriff’s Office as a young Explorer. A graduate of Lake Minneola High School in 2015, he served in the Army Reserves prior to being hired as a deputy sheriff by the Polk County Sheriff’s Office in 2017. In October 2019, Master Deputy Link joined our agency as a deputy sheriff, where he quickly became part of our family and faithfully served our citizens with courage and zeal. Brad, as our Sheriff’s Office family knew him, touched the lives of all who were blessed enough to work with him; his contributions and the impact of this loss will not soon be forgotten."

Sheriff Peyton Grinnell said that the caller reported a “female in his yard assaulting people that were present and trespassing on the caller’s property.”

Grinnell added that the trespasser — identified as neighbor Julie Jefferson Sulpizio, 48 — began striking the caller’s family. “The (caller) stated she was acting religious, accusing them of being senators, and she knows what they did...” Grinnell explained. “But Julie states that she is ‘Helen’ under God’s will.”

“During a calm verbal exchange, Julie Sulpizio states that ‘they’ — meaning the group of people that was present there — were involved in pedophilia. She again claims to be Helen, and she asked one of the victims that she had battered, ‘Who is your God?’
Julie Sulpizio stated to them that ‘Julie is in heaven.’
She then went on to state, ‘You see, the thing is, we needed to trick Lucy.’ And we later learned to be a name she calls Lucifer. She then points at (the deputy) and states, ‘You are one of them.’”

Inside the home, investigators found over 20 firearms, stockpiled ammunition, gas masks, body armor, ghillie suits, medical bags, MREs and bottled water, alongside “anti-government propaganda” and “conspiracy-theory-related media,” Grinnell said.

In a later interview with Julie Sulpizio, she told detectives that her name is actually “Helen” and that God speaks through her, Grinnell continued. He added that Julie Sulpizio told them her husband Michael Sulpizio was actually the biblical guardian angel Michael, who obeyed God’s commands through her.

There's a LOT of info in this article, namely a lot of things Julie said before the first deputy entered the home. The article also states that the home is on Brookside Dr in Eustis, however there is no street view available for that road.

"Conspiracy theory-related media was also found, along with gas masks and other emergency prep items.

The family had no cellphones or TV, LCSO said."

It doesn't specify whether they had internet though.

Deputies found no drugs beyond medical marijuana, but found "bumper stickers, stickers, handouts, flyers for Info Wars, various podcasts," but no personal writings or suggestions yet that the family was part of a larger network, a detective said.

I'd think that if they had flyers for podcasts, they'd have internet. I'm betting only Michael had internet access, probably on a personal computer that no one else was allowed to use.

As far as facebook pages go, I found one for a Michael that COULD be him (it follows one not well known Florida politician) and the age looks right. And I did find a Suzanne Sulpizio but the photo is from 2020 and the girl in the pic does not look anywhere near 18 to me (more like 28) so no clue if it's them or not.

Last edited:
what the heck? at first I was thinking Julie Jefferson Sulpizio was having some sort of mental illness that features delusional thinking. But after reading further am I understanding that this was some sort of anti government extreme prepper family group who follows conspiracy theories relating to the victimization of children? So did two mentally ill people collide to create this murderous couple with extreme views who then indoctrinated their daughters or did their immersion into the extreme views and conspiracy theories prompt their unhinged mental states? which came first, chicken or egg?

Just wow. Very sorry for Deputy Link's family's loss :(

Michael and their two adopted daughters, Savannah and Cheyenne, were inside the home, with one daughter shouting, "My King will kill all of you! You are Lucifer's children!"
Florida woman arrested in deadly ambush shooting of Lake County deputy; claimed to work for 'God'

I would be curious to know when the two young adult daughters were adopted and if this unusual couple was as unhinged at that time as they clearly were during this event. The daughters were in their early twenties but reportedly were home schooled to keep them from being "exposed" to outside influences (like sanity?).

I wonder what those now dead women's childhoods were like with this couple. Makes me wonder if they ever really had a chance at all if they were raised to have these ideas and never had an opportunity to see that life wasn't supposed to be what they were living with this couple as their parents. :( Just all around sad.

I hope the other deputies who were injured recover.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CalamityGirl
Back