FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #13 *1 guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is huge. For this to be happening means that there is a reasonably good understanding between counsel as to what the proffer will be. The prosecution has been completely in the drivers' seat since the conviction, and you can bet there have been a lot of hypotheticals going back and forth between counsel as they worked to figure out what it would take to satisfy the state before formally setting up the proffer. Florida law gives the state considerable room to accommodate cooperating witnesses but there would be no reason whatsoever to give Katie much without a clear understanding as to what she could give that would be useful.

Certainly, KM is a compromised witness and damaged goods when it comes to testifying. On the other hand, it is difficult to imagine that she doesn't have some significant corroboration (possibly her family, documents, or other records that are independent from her obvious perjury in prior appearances). I trust Georgia to drive a hard bargain after Katie's egregious failure to come clean. My guess is the State doesn't need much from her to make a clean and convincing case against Charlie so the possibility of providing sufficient evidence to indict Wendy or the remaining Adelsons is intriguing and very possibly will become the basis for the likely deal.

I'm going to open a good single malt and give a toast to the prosecution and the Markels.
Me too!! But mine will be a gin and tonic!
KM gambled and lost - big time. I have zero empathy for her as she clearly had none for Dan.
I just hope so much that Wendi and Donna get arrested over this and convicted. I do believe Wendi knew the entire time and was involved in the planning.
The Adelson’s must be having a rough night!!

This is huge. For this to be happening means that there is a reasonably good understanding between counsel as to what the proffer will be. The prosecution has been completely in the drivers' seat since the conviction, and you can bet there have been a lot of hypotheticals going back and forth between counsel as they worked to figure out what it would take to satisfy the state before formally setting up the proffer. Florida law gives the state considerable room to accommodate cooperating witnesses but there would be no reason whatsoever to give Katie much without a clear understanding as to what she could give that would be useful.

Certainly, KM is a compromised witness and damaged goods when it comes to testifying. On the other hand, it is difficult to imagine that she doesn't have some significant corroboration (possibly her family, documents, or other records that are independent from her obvious perjury in prior appearances). I trust Georgia to drive a hard bargain after Katie's egregious failure to come clean. My guess is the State doesn't need much from her to make a clean and convincing case against Charlie so the possibility of providing sufficient evidence to indict Wendy or the remaining Adelsons is intriguing and very possibly will become the basis for the likely deal.

I'm going to open a good single malt and give a toast to the prosecution and the Markels.

Thank you for this post. One thought from another poster elsewhere. Katie could verify--should a jury find her sufficiently credible--that it was Wendi who notified them that the murder was done. Per her "I know" comment to the hit men. That would connect some dots and be a brick in the wall to convict Wendi.

Thank you for this post. One thought from another poster elsewhere. Katie could verify--should a jury find her sufficiently credible--that it was Wendi who notified them that the murder was done. Per her "I know" comment to the hit men. That would connect some dots and be a brick in the wall to convict Wendi.
Also that they knew Dan’s schedule and that she did a close drive by and that LR saw her the first drive up to Tally. How could she not be involved?! JMO… Edited to add - and she made sure, with her mother’s help, that she had an alibi.

Last edited:
As happy as I was about this when I saw it earlier today, if I were Georgia, I would need a confirmed text, a recording, other corroboration etc. to believe anything that Katie says because the defense is going to be ready to pounce on 'Witness" Katie. I am sure she would bring the goods because it's obvious she doesn't intend to spend a lifetime behind bars while the Adelsons go on without a care - well, at least, free for as long as possible. I'm sure both Sigfredo and Charlie would love this opportunity to spill some beans as well. Sigfredo had to keep quiet because of Katie and has been fighting with his lawyer. Charlie is not gonna want to spend a lifetime without young girlfriends behind bars just for Wendella to continue having fun in Miami. So, there we are. Hopefully all these folks will give themselves up after Katie speaks so we don't have to bother about trials with over 5000 documents??
Sigfredo ended up the real patsy here as he steadfastly remained loyal to Katie at the expense of being incarcerated for life with no possibility of parole. He could have cut his own deal after his conviction but, instead, he wrote cloying love letters to Katie pledging to keep his mouth shut and encouraging her to fight on. Now little Katie is singing to get herself some slack while Sigfredo is going to rot behind bars the rest of his days. Luis Rivera did the "right" thing by fessing up and essentially got only an 8-year sentence for his reward. I'm ok with that, personally, because getting his testimony was the key to convicting Katie and Sigfredo.

It appears almost certain that Katie is going to be a cooperating witness for the State and that means she is obligated to be absolutely truthful in response to any questions posed. I presume Georgia and her team will take the opportunity to fully explore whether there were any inducements by the Adelsons that influenced her to perjure herself or whether there were, in fact, any payments made for her defense. It's a dicey point because either would raise serious jeopardy for Tara Kawass and Christopher DeCoste if they were aware of such shenanigans. I'm curious whether Katie is being represented by them in this proffer or whether the public defender's office is handling the negotiations now. If the latter is the case, it may create some real drama should Katie choose to implicate her counsel as being instrumental in steering her away from a plea deal.

I have a feeling there will be more shoes to drop in this matter. DeCoste and Kawass went all in on Katie's innocence as the foundation for their defense. I have no problem with their aggressive defense of their client. However, it appears Katie is about to confirm quite starkly that her testimony was complete b.s. -- a fact that has been very obvious to everybody not sitting at the defense table for some time. DeCoste and Kawass are left having to say, "Gee, she really fooled us! That's why we went out on a limb on our social media to accuse the prosecution of persecuting an innocent woman."

For years now the defense has not added up. When Sigfredo was convicted his attorney gave a telling interview that made clear his client was shielding Katie out of love and that she was up to her neck in the conspiracy. Lawyers have extraordinary influence on how a case is tried and it made no sense to many observers that the defense appeared to be actively discouraging any cooperation in the face of such damning evidence. I cannot imagine a scenario where Katie would cooperate without the State insisting that it learns who funded the expensive defense all these years and where the money came from. That means that someday we should learn what happened finally. It may not be until Georgia writes her book, but I'm pretty sure the truth will out sooner or later.

Sigfredo ended up the real patsy here as he steadfastly remained loyal to Katie at the expense of being incarcerated for life with no possibility of parole. He could have cut his own deal after his conviction but, instead, he wrote cloying love letters to Katie pledging to keep his mouth shut and encouraging her to fight on. Now little Katie is singing to get herself some slack while Sigfredo is going to rot behind bars the rest of his days. Luis Rivera did the "right" thing by fessing up and essentially got only an 8-year sentence for his reward. I'm ok with that, personally, because getting his testimony was the key to convicting Katie and Sigfredo.

It appears almost certain that Katie is going to be a cooperating witness for the State and that means she is obligated to be absolutely truthful in response to any questions posed. I presume Georgia and her team will take the opportunity to fully explore whether there were any inducements by the Adelsons that influenced her to perjure herself or whether there were, in fact, any payments made for her defense. It's a dicey point because either would raise serious jeopardy for Tara Kawass and Christopher DeCoste if they were aware of such shenanigans. I'm curious whether Katie is being represented by them in this proffer or whether the public defender's office is handling the negotiations now. If the latter is the case, it may create some real drama should Katie choose to implicate her counsel as being instrumental in steering her away from a plea deal.

I have a feeling there will be more shoes to drop in this matter. DeCoste and Kawass went all in on Katie's innocence as the foundation for their defense. I have no problem with their aggressive defense of their client. However, it appears Katie is about to confirm quite starkly that her testimony was complete b.s. -- a fact that has been very obvious to everybody not sitting at the defense table for some time. DeCoste and Kawass are left having to say, "Gee, she really fooled us! That's why we went out on a limb on our social media to accuse the prosecution of persecuting an innocent woman."

For years now the defense has not added up. When Sigfredo was convicted his attorney gave a telling interview that made clear his client was shielding Katie out of love and that she was up to her neck in the conspiracy. Lawyers have extraordinary influence on how a case is tried and it made no sense to many observers that the defense appeared to be actively discouraging any cooperation in the face of such damning evidence. I cannot imagine a scenario where Katie would cooperate without the State insisting that it learns who funded the expensive defense all these years and where the money came from. That means that someday we should learn what happened finally. It may not be until Georgia writes her book, but I'm pretty sure the truth will out sooner or later.
Great post and insight!

I hope Donna, Wendi, and Harvey are being monitored … Would not be surprised if they tried to flee, expecting the truth to come out from this reported proffer…
I suspect they are all under surveillance, if they haven't been this whole time (wire taps, etc.). I bet they suspect that too. What a life, always looking over your shoulder, guarding your words.

I listened to the Surviving the Survivor podcast last night on this and he got confirmation that Kawass IS still representing Katie.

Super interesting point about the money--would sure be a mystery I'd like uncovered. Also the "I know" comment of Katie's after the murder. If she says that Wendi had confirmed it and there is any way at all to connect those dots, well then bye bye Wendi.

I think in terms of rehabilitation of Katie, if she explains she was terrified of Charlie, until he was arrested, to tell the truth, that might fly with a jury. Now I don't believe that myself, I think she had other motivation$ and was highly influenced by her attorneys that she was going to beat it (by all of their reactions in court), but I do think she could sell that fear explanation to a jury while connecting all the dots of this terrible story.

''Law Professor's Murder Case Takes Turn As Convicted Intermediary May Be Ready To Talk​

New filing suggests potentially explosive testimony on the horizon.​

By JOE PATRICE November 17, 2022
''That feeling when your web of conspiracy is a straight line.''

''According to a document filed with the Leon County Clerk of Court and Comptroller Office, a Leon County judge Wednesday approved Magbanua’s transfer from a state prison facility to the state attorney’s office in Leon County for a Proffer meeting on or before Nov. 28 through Nov. 30.

A Proffer is an arrangement to provide information to the state prosecution.''

I have a particular hatred, yes hatred towards Wendy: she is the one I want to see put away for life---she is vile.
Wendi's ex-boyfriend, Jeffrey LaCasse, testified that she flat out told him that Charlie had investigated options to take care of her problem with Dan Markel, and that those options included hiring a hit man to murder him! I mean, JEEEZ! That element is so chilling and damning of Wendi. I do believe Katie may be able to provide enough evidence to justify charging Wendi. This was a family enterprise facilitated and organized by a sister and brother with the frothing encouragement of their furious mother. I harbor hatred toward all three of them and fervently hope they all are indicted. I have no doubt that Harvey was aware at some point, but he clearly was not the malevolent force that Donna was.

Short Version of the post below. If you would like to donate to our volunteer moderator staff please do so at Pay Websleuths.com using PayPal.Me
Venmo name Tricia-Griffith-14
OR
Cash App $tgrif14

Hi Everyone,
Forgive me for interrupting but this is important. Please do not post questions about this post on this thread. Go to THIS THREAD to ask questions.

The mod staff at Websleuths.com work non-stop to keep Websleuths open 24/7 and to make sure
Websleuths is a safe place for you to post.

If you would like to donate to the moderators at Websleuths.com please do so using this link Pay Websleuths.com using PayPal.Me
OR you can use
Venmo name Tricia-Griffith-14
OR
Cash App $tgrif14

Websleuths.com will always be free for members. If you like to read at Websleuths because of the incredible work of our members please know the reason our members are able to do what they do is because of our dedicated volunteer moderator staff.

This video explains what the moderators do every day to keep Websleuths the most respected true crime discussion forum on the Internet.

Pay Websleuths.com using PayPal.Me

Thank you,
Tricia Griffith Owner/Websleuths.com

I listened to the Surviving the Survivor podcast last night on this and he got confirmation that Kawass IS still representing Katie.

Super interesting point about the money--would sure be a mystery I'd like uncovered. Also the "I know" comment of Katie's after the murder. If she says that Wendi had confirmed it and there is any way at all to connect those dots, well then bye bye Wendi.

I think in terms of rehabilitation of Katie, if she explains she was terrified of Charlie, until he was arrested, to tell the truth, that might fly with a jury. Now I don't believe that myself, I think she had other motivation$ and was highly influenced by her attorneys that she was going to beat it (by all of their reactions in court), but I do think she could sell that fear explanation to a jury while connecting all the dots of this terrible story.
I don’t think she needs to even try to sell the “fear” bill of goods. I think honesty is the best policy: “I thought I could beat the rap so l lied. It didn’t work. Go ahead a throw my old testimony in my face; it was obvious to everyone I was lying to try to save myself. Am I trying to save myself now? Of course I am but my current testimony is actually consistent with the evidence this time.”

Wendi's ex-boyfriend, Jeffrey LaCasse, testified that she flat out told him that Charlie had investigated options to take care of her problem with Dan Markel, and that those options included hiring a hit man to murder him! I mean, JEEEZ! That element is so chilling and damning of Wendi. I do believe Katie may be able to provide enough evidence to justify charging Wendi. This was a family enterprise facilitated and organized by a sister and brother with the frothing encouragement of their furious mother. I harbor hatred toward all three of them and fervently hope they all are indicted. I have no doubt that Harvey was aware at some point, but he clearly was not the malevolent force that Donna was.

100% agree with all of this. Especially the bolded part. It will be interesting to see if we learn just when Harvey was involved. Clearly by the time they were recorded in that sushi restaurant he was as he was referring to what Katie believed and was not acting surprised or naive about anything. I hope they are all three living in terror right now.

I don’t think she needs to even try to sell the “fear” bill of goods. I think honesty is the best policy: “I thought I could beat the rap so l lied. It didn’t work. Go ahead a throw my old testimony in my face; it was obvious to everyone I was lying to try to save myself. Am I trying to save myself now? Of course I am but my current testimony is actually consistent with the evidence this time.”

I just hope Kawass doesn't influence her in some self-serving way and sabotage any of it. I find her completely fishy in this whole deal. But I like what you are saying here!

Yes this murder was a fami!y affair, but Wendy was his wife, the mother of his
children-- not only did she conspire to have him killed, but no doubt
she turned his children. against him- to the point of changing their
last names.

From Tallahassee Channel 6 (below). Sounds like KM will need to supply some very substantial info.

WCTV legal analyst Joe Bodiford says Magbanua may be sharing information about Charlie Adelson or the Adelson family that has not been revealed before in hopes of negotiating a reduced sentence. “Usually, you make a proffer before you are convicted, not after,” Bodiford said. “Unless she’s got some sort of bombshell that hasn’t been brought to light so far, it may be too little too late for both sides.

Magbanua being brought back to Tallahassee for questioning in Markel murder case

Last edited:
What can Katie say for which she has so much proof that cannot be impeached as the motivated rantings of a proven liar?
Cappelman takes a huge risk of getting the stain on her if she endorses Katie.
It seems that this is going nowhere, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper